Were Hitler's actions supported by the chrch?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Boots
And in view of events since his death was he right?

Although Hitler did not practice religion in a churchly sense, he certainly believed in the Bible's God. Raised as Catholic he went to a monastery school and, interestingly, walked everyday past a stone arch which was carved the monastery's coat of arms which included a swastika. As a young boy, Hitler's most ardent goal was to become a priest. Much of his philosophy came from the Bible, and more influentially, from the Christian Social movement. (The German Christian Social movement, remarkably, resembles the Christian Right movement in America today.) Many have questioned Hitler's stand on Christianity. Although he fought against certain Catholic priests who opposed him for political reasons, his belief in God and country never left him. Many Christians throughout history have opposed Christian priests for various reasons; this does not necessarily make one against one's own Christian beliefs. Nor did the Vatican's Pope & bishops ever disown him; in fact they blessed him! As evidence to his claimed Christianity, he said:

"My feelings as a Christian points me to my Lord and Savior as a fighter. It points me to the man who once in loneliness, surrounded by a few followers, recognized these Jews for what they were and summoned men to fight against them and who, God's truth! was greatest not as a sufferer but as a fighter. In boundless love as a Christian and as a man I read through the passage which tells us how the Lord at last rose in His might and seized the scourge to drive out of the Temple the brood of vipers and adders. How terrific was His fight for the world against the Jewish poison. To-day, after two thousand years, with deepest emotion I recognize more profoundly than ever before the fact that it was for this that He had to shed His blood upon the Cross. As a Christian I have no duty to allow myself to be cheated, but I have the duty to be a fighter for truth and justice... And if there is anything which could demonstrate that we are acting rightly it is the distress that daily grows. For as a Christian I have also a duty to my own people.

-Adolf Hitler, in a speech on 12 April 1922 (Norman H. Baynes, ed. The Speeches of Adolf Hitler, April 1922-August 1939, Vol. 1 of 2, pp. 19-20, Oxford University Press, 1942)

Symmetric Chaos
As far as I know the Church was against Hitler's actions.

TRH
yes,although most catholics opposed him in his years in power he was supported my a large amount of the Lutheran church and almost everything he said was about god

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by TRH
almost everything he said was about god

Which means nothing.

Boots
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
As far as I know the Church was against Hitler's actions.

Verily a man cannot serve two masters. And I consider the foundation or destruction of a religion far greater than the foundation or destruction of a state, let alone a party.

-Adolf Hitler speaking like Jesus in Matthew 6:24 (Mein Kampf)

The Lutheran Church indeed supported the Fuhrer

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Boots
Verily a man cannot serve two masters. And I consider the foundation or destruction of a religion far greater than the foundation or destruction of a state, let alone a party.

-Adolf Hitler speaking like Jesus in Matthew 6:24 (Mein Kampf)

The Lutheran Church indeed supported the Fuhrer

blink "I truth I tell you my friends I am the light itself." - me just now

So does the LutheranChurch support my actions now?

Boots

Symmetric Chaos
You asked about "the church" not about misguided people that thought Hitler was teaching god's word.

finti
thats a load of crap, Hitlers rise to was supported by catholics as much as other denominations within the christian church. If the catholic church would have opposed him he would never gained enough support to do what he did, and looking at what Hitlers strategy was towards his opposition the catholic church of Germany would have been wiped out if they opposed him and his regime

Alliance
Thank you finti. The church did nothing to combat Nazism. If anything, it may have aided it.

Boots
Originally posted by Alliance
Thank you finti. The church did nothing to combat Nazism. If anything, it may have aided it.

Christianity could not content itself with building up its own altar; it was absolutely forced to undertake the destruction of the heathen altars. Only from this fanatical intolerance could its apodictic faith take form; this intolerance is, in fact, its absolute presupposition.

-Adolf Hitler (Mein Kampf)

finti
how about come up with some original bs of your own insted of quoting the farse of a human being named AH

Boots
Originally posted by finti
how about come up with some original bs of your own insted of quoting the farse of a human being named AH

Never forget that the most sacred right on this earth is a man's right to have earth to till with his own hands, and the most sacred sacrifice the blood that a man sheds for this earth.

finti
yeah, Hitler and his followers was a bunch of morons, still are

- finti (the truth hurts, but so f*ucking what)

Alliance
This is appoaching spam point. You're not even posting relevant quotes.

Nellinator
I was about to award the trophy for most irrelevant to: the n00b.

Boots
They are relevant, look deeper!

...that is why the prophet seldom has any honor in his own country.

siriuswriter
Why are you trying to say that the church supported Hitler by using Hitler's own quotes?

And by the by, using Mein Kampf quotations for all your arguments. probably won't win you a lot of friends around here...

Jim Reaper
That book is so terrible... Inconsistent and racist garbage. That's just calling a spade a spade.

Capt_Fantastic
The Catholic church certainly wouldn't have apologized for it's actions, or inaction as the case may be, if they hadn't felt compelled to do so out of substantiated evidence and guilt.

And Hitler had no love for christian ideology or teachings, except to use them to control people. Even Hitler could have agreed with Marx when it came to religion being the opiate of the masses. Hitler knew that totally removing religion from the public would have been a costly descision. Just because a nation's leader uses god to sway the masses, doesn't mean he believes in the same god he's using to control his people.

And we all know about the SS and Himmler, and that was far from christian.

Also, this likely belongs in the history forum.

JacopeX
Originally posted by Boots

Although Hitler did not practice religion in a churchly sense, he certainly believed in the Bible's God. Raised as Catholic he went to a monastery school and, interestingly, walked everyday past a stone arch which was carved the monastery's coat of arms which included a swastika. As a young boy, Hitler's most ardent goal was to become a priest. Much of his philosophy came from the Bible, and more influentially, from the Christian Social movement. (The German Christian Social movement, remarkably, resembles the Christian Right movement in America today.) Many have questioned Hitler's stand on Christianity. Although he fought against certain Catholic priests who opposed him for political reasons, his belief in God and country never left him. Many Christians throughout history have opposed Christian priests for various reasons; this does not necessarily make one against one's own Christian beliefs. Nor did the Vatican's Pope & bishops ever disown him; in fact they blessed him! As evidence to his claimed Christianity, he said:

"My feelings as a Christian points me to my Lord and Savior as a fighter. It points me to the man who once in loneliness, surrounded by a few followers, recognized these Jews for what they were and summoned men to fight against them and who, God's truth! was greatest not as a sufferer but as a fighter. In boundless love as a Christian and as a man I read through the passage which tells us how the Lord at last rose in His might and seized the scourge to drive out of the Temple the brood of vipers and adders. How terrific was His fight for the world against the Jewish poison. To-day, after two thousand years, with deepest emotion I recognize more profoundly than ever before the fact that it was for this that He had to shed His blood upon the Cross. As a Christian I have no duty to allow myself to be cheated, but I have the duty to be a fighter for truth and justice... And if there is anything which could demonstrate that we are acting rightly it is the distress that daily grows. For as a Christian I have also a duty to my own people.

-Adolf Hitler, in a speech on 12 April 1922 (Norman H. Baynes, ed. The Speeches of Adolf Hitler, April 1922-August 1939, Vol. 1 of 2, pp. 19-20, Oxford University Press, 1942)

Nazism does not associate with any religion.

Alliance
Religions associated with Nazism.

de Peverel
Originally posted by Boots :

Did this statement disturb anyone else? confused

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by de Peverel
Did this statement disturb anyone else? confused

Well since he followed this by posting nothing but quotes from Mein Kampf I would say its not the creepiest thing he did.

de Peverel
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Well since he followed this by posting nothing but quotes from Mein Kampf I would say its not the creepiest thing he did.

Yeah, I s'pose you're right.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.