I watched Episode 1 again recently...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

exanda kane
Why was this film made? How could Lucas have convinced himself the world needs Star Wars ruined for the next generation of fans? Why did I watch it again?

All these questions, yet no answers confused

Boots
Originally posted by exanda kane
Why was this film made? How could Lucas have convinced himself the world needs Star Wars ruined for the next generation of fans? Why did I watch it again?

Yes 4 and 5 and to some extent 6 are so much better than 1, 2 and 3.

I hate 1, 2 and 3.

Riverollv
Originally posted by Boots

I hate 1, 2 and 3.

Then you simply do not belong to this forum

Count Makashi
Originally posted by Riverollv
Then you simply do not belong to this forum

laughing - good one

exanda kane
Yes, really funny.

new rule, people with taste, stay outta this PT forum wink

Count Makashi
Pt is great, it added new chapter to the OT and even had Dooku, the best character ever.

Schecter
ep1 wasnt bad at all. as a standalone film i think its really good scifi story. although i dislike the prequels at this point (barring certain sentimantal and self-writing scenes we've waited patiently for) i think it does well and does not lean on the other films in the way that ep2 does. if ep2 was on its own, not part of a series, i think cgi aside it would be considered an epic disaster just as it is generally referred to as. as cool as ep3 is, apart from the story arc in the second half, it still essentially leans on its own novelty and is devoid of human substance

really i conclude that the reasons i find ep1 annoying is due to its lack of connection to the OT visually and with regards to characters/script. its unfamiliarity made it disappointing, jarjar was annoying, but i still left the theater feeling like i got at least my money's worthm since, removed from the story, it was really cool.

so yeah: great film, but a crappy bastard child in the face of the OT.

Tangible God
Crappy bastard child, unconvincing Queen, and Loki's failed brother Jar Jar bringing up the rear.

They are what ruined TPM.

exanda kane
The PT should never have been made, that's my opinion.

Dooku, Windu, Darth Maul; these aren't the great "heroes and villains" of the silver screen, they are actually incredibly mediocre characters from a horribly average trilogy of films.

Count Makashi
Blasphemy, Dooku and Windu are amazing, for me the best 2 characters of the saga, but we all have different preferences.

Tangible God
The PT should never have been made, that's my opinion.

Dooku, Windu, Darth Maul; these aren't the great "heroes and villains" of the silver screen, they are actually incredibly mediocre characters from a horribly average trilogy of films. They were decent movies, but it's an unfair contest pitting the OT and PT against each other. The acting, dialog, FX, even the way the plot's moved forward are rather different.

It's better not to look at them as definite connections, but rather to remember the time difference between productions. The PT can be forgiven if looked at in the right light.

Alliance
Yes, really funny.

new rule, people with taste, stay outta this PT forum wink

Actually, only non-idots are allwed to be here.

Tangible God
Alliance, you hypocrite.

queeq
Originally posted by Tangible God
They were decent movies, but it's an unfair contest pitting the OT and PT against each other.

Why is that? It's the same saga, the same story, the same characters, the same author, the same Maker, the same producer, the same director.
I cannot think of a better reason to pit them against each other. They should be a coherent story that works towards a climax.
I am sure that if Lucas had started with TPM, Ep4, 5 and 6 would be very different.

Tangible God
Originally posted by queeq
Why is that? It's the same saga, the same story, the same characters, the same author, the same Maker, the same producer, the same director.
I cannot think of a better reason to pit them against each other. They should be a coherent story that works towards a climax.
I am sure that if Lucas had started with TPM, Ep4, 5 and 6 would be very different. Yup, thank Me he didn't.

And not too many of the same characters. It was that 16 year gap. Lucas's style really change in that time (though foreshadowing abound in ROTJ). The PT's generally worse, but to spare it from being torn to shreds I like to look at them as separate trilogies, not part of an eternal, smooth saga. I take into consideration the time gap.

OT = old and good.

PT = new and alright.

It's like picking on the little kid at recess who's trying to fit in with his big brother 'cause all the older, better kids won't accept him. Annoying, but cut him some slack, he's trying.

queeq
They can't be separate... they tell one story.

overlord
I wouldn't say they can't be seperated.. I often see both trilogies as completely different. The "prequels" nice sci-fi movies based on a good one, but a bit too chaotic and weird for newcomers.

vintageSW77
I thought a couple of years from now when the dust settles itd be quite easy to forget the PT

the tv series will nix that

Alliance
I am sure that if Lucas had started with TPM, Ep4, 5 and 6 would be very different.

Until you can objectively analyze them....

Everyone judges the PT under the context of the OT. They are effin 17 years apart. When you can'y Judge the PT independantly as a trilogy, you're not going to come up with tht esame result because the he PT is simply NOT the OT.

And you should know that Lucas only directed ROTJ. They have different intensions and were made with different messages in differnt generations.

You can compare the trilogies, but you people (in general) are just expeecting them to be effing the same.

Schecter
Originally posted by Alliance

no, lucas directed ANH. RotJ was directed by richard marquand.

vintageSW77
we werent expecting the same but what we certainly didnt want was substandard flicks with no soul

If TPM was the first SW pic made and there was no OT i would have just thought this is a kids film same as i did,the OT gets this accusation but those movies appealled to all ages at the time....i remember...something which never happened with the PT away from the fanboys
I doubt there would have been sequels if TPM was the first flick
And if they did make them in an alt Non Ot universe i doubt i would have paid to see or even watched AOTC or ROTS
But i did because everytime i thought well maybe next time itll be better but dickhead here went for a piss in the cinema toilets after every PT movie and whilst washing his hands just thought...."shit that was REALLY ****ing awful..............AGAIN!"

Mr Parker

because the bastard got greedy for money. mad

Mr Parker
Originally posted by Boots

I hate 1, 2 and 3.

That goes without saying.any true star wars fan knows that.

exanda kane
Originally posted by Alliance
Until you can objectively analyze them....

Everyone judges the PT under the context of the OT. They are effin 17 years apart. When you can'y Judge the PT independantly as a trilogy, you're not going to come up with tht esame result because the he PT is simply NOT the OT.

And you should know that Lucas only directed ROTJ. They have different intensions and were made with different messages in differnt generations.

You can compare the trilogies, but you people (in general) are just expeecting them to be effing the same.

But then more than 17 years later, Jos Whedon makes Serenity/Firefly, which is even more "Starwarsy" than the whole of the Prequel Trilogy, Lucas should have borrowed a leaf from Whedon's book.

exanda kane
Originally posted by Count Makashi
Blasphemy, Dooku and Windu are amazing, for me the best 2 characters of the saga, but we all have different preferences.

Why? They hardly even had their characters developed. It's one step less than saying Plo Koon was the best part of the entire trilogy.

Schecter
Originally posted by Mr Parker
any true star wars fan knows that.

fanboy battlecry

darthmaul1
They are all equally good, it's just that the original trilogy has been out for 19 years before EP1 and you have had that much time to enjoy it and you were probably much younger when you saw it. Let's face it the acting and the character development in the OT was not that great, you have to look at it as one long movie. What did we learn about Han Solo in EP IV? he was the captain of the falcon and thats it. In my own opinion episode 3 was the best then 5. Let me ask this to those of you who say the PT was no good, did you buy the DVDs?

queeq
Yes we did... But we are slaves to SW.

I don't think Serenity was that great, myself.

And there's no objective judging of movies. Not even after 30 years. I am subjectively saying that the PT is a disappointment, both on the scale of the entire saga and because Lucas had no restrictions this time in making SW...

exanda kane
. I am subjectively saying that the PT is a disappointment, both on the scale of the entire saga and because Lucas had no restrictions this time in making SW...

Which is the killing joke really. He had no restrictions whatsoever, and he just couldn't pull it off.

sithsaber408
Or he did.

He just didn't pull off what YOU wanted him to. stick out tongue

Schecter
he's sure been pulling something of ours for the past decade erm

General G
Money?

overlord
Originally posted by darthmaul1
They are all equally good, it's just that the original trilogy has been out for 19 years before EP1 and you have had that much time to enjoy it and you were probably much younger when you saw it. Let's face it the acting and the character development in the OT was not that great, you have to look at it as one long movie. What did we learn about Han Solo in EP IV? he was the captain of the falcon and thats it. In my own opinion episode 3 was the best then 5. Let me ask this to those of you who say the PT was no good, did you buy the DVDs? Nah.. they are not equally good. Sorry. Try again.

Tangible God
They are all equally good, it's just that the original trilogy has been out for 19 years before EP1 and you have had that much time to enjoy it and you were probably much younger when you saw it. Let's face it the acting and the character development in the OT was not that great, you have to look at it as one long movie. What did we learn about Han Solo in EP IV? he was the captain of the falcon and thats it. In my own opinion episode 3 was the best then 5. Let me ask this to those of you who say the PT was no good, did you buy the DVDs? Yup, but who said the PT was bad?

vintageSW77

darthmaul1
If you didn't like it then why buy it? there must be some part of you that enjoyed it, "Search your feelings you know it to be true"
It's like Kill Bill 1 I loved that movie and then when #2 came out it sucked the green wiener, so I only bought #1. same thing with alien 3 and alien resurrection, in my eyes that series ended at the end of Aliens.
and they should just treat those as dreams if they make another one.

Schecter
Originally posted by vintageSW77
Serenity was a drag

QFT

vintageSW77
If you didn't like it then why buy it? there must be some part of you that enjoyed it, "Search your feelings you know it to be true"
It's like Kill Bill 1 I loved that movie and then when #2 came out it sucked the green wiener, so I only bought #1. same thing with alien 3 and alien resurrection, in my eyes that series ended at the end of Aliens.
and they should just treat those as dreams if they make another one.

maybe it was Nat Portmans white jumpsuit in AOTC and the last 15 mins of ROTS that put my hand in my pocket

exanda kane
Originally posted by sithsaber408
Or he did.

He just didn't pull off what YOUwanted him to. stick out tongue

Me and every poor soul who recognises quality film making, and the subsequent opposite.

vintageSW77
maybe it was Nat Portmans white jumpsuit in AOTC and the last 15 mins of ROTS that put my hand in my pocket

i must point out to reach for my wallet to pay for the dvds
sure Portmans bottom looked nice in that white jumpsuit and seeing Vader for the first time onscreen for 22 years was exiting but i wouldnt knock one off for that

queeq
I concur with Vintage's views, although I did watch the PT several times on DVD, twice with my kids.
And it's not that subjective when it comes to terms of epic/classic quality in movie history. The PT is not up there with the greats, no one but us geeks talk about it and if it's not hailed as a particular great movie, it will never be like that.
And I also doubt it'll end up in the great-cults-scene, like Blade Runner and films like that. It just lacks that extra thing, it's too commercial and too slick to receive such a support.

So in all fairness, the PT failed to impress the world as the OT did. And that is saying a lot.

darthmaul1

And I also doubt it'll end up in the great-cults-scene, like Blade Runner and films like that. It just lacks that extra thing, it's too commercial and too slick to receive such a support.
So in all fairness, the PT failed to impress the world as the OT did. And that is saying a lot.

Blade runner was great??? ugh what a peice of crap, I aggree some what with your last statement, that the OT really wasn't all that great, but all the films are highly enjoyable, I think most people were expecting way to much from the PT because they had built up the OT in their heads, as fantastic movies.

Schecter
i dont think bladerunner was such an epic film either erm

darthmaul1
A couple of things that I wish were done diferently in the PT would be that Darth Maul should of been all through episode 1 2 and 3 with no dooku. and it would of been neat if they had put Boba Fett into episode 3 after he went back to kamino to get some growth accelarators to age him 10 years, and then once Anakin turned and was about to storm the temple, Palpatine could of said I have some help for you, and brought out Boba, they both go in and Boba disinegrates the Jedi (referance to EP V) and takes their Braids for trophies.
But maybe that will be in the TV show?
There is a movie being made in Edmonton Canada that takes place just before episode IV, the only thing is the guy can't make any money off of it, but it will be realeased in a few theaters and on DVD.
http://www.xpressentertainment.ca/story.php

Count Makashi
Blade runner was great??? ugh what a peice of crap, I aggree some what with your last statement, that the OT really wasn't all that great, but all the films are highly enjoyable, I think most people were expecting way to much from the PT because they had built up the OT in their heads, as fantastic movies.

Blade runner was a great movie as is the PT, it has you know who.

queeq
I never said BR was great. I love it personally, but it is definately grat in the cult scene. There are many cult films adored by fans, I just had to think of Blade Runner. Fans are still waiting for an ultimate DVD with the workprint and a real director's cut. Who's waiting for another cut of AOTC?

Schecter
Who's waiting for another cut of AOTC?

*crickets*

queeq
laughing out loud

vintageSW77

There is a movie being made in Edmonton Canada that takes place just before episode IV, the only thing is the guy can't make any money off of it, but it will be realeased in a few theaters and on DVD.
http://www.xpressentertainment.ca/story.php

After seeing this i have to say i take it back
the PT ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o60/cylob46/han1-2.jpg

sweet jesus

i CANNOT wait to see Chewie!

darthmaul1
at least it will be free.

exanda kane
The problem with the PT isn't just the aesthetical things like the characters, script and acting; it was the philosophy of Lucas making a prequel trilogy, that killed the PT.

chinabing
Lucas did the best he could, mostly, at the time the movies were made. He did better than most. I love the PT, and the OT. All 6 are wonderful, not perfect, but wonderful. And they're all different. TPM is a classic SW thrillaminute movie. AOTC is a mystery. ROTS is a tragedy.

The OT ruined the PT for me! laughing out loud

steverules
Wanna know why ep.1 was so bad?

Jar Jar Binks

Schecter
i think ep1 was the best out of the PT erm

Rampant ox
A couple of things that I wish were done diferently in the PT would be that Darth Maul should of been all through episode 1 2 and 3 with no dooku.

Blasphemy. mad

queeq
After seeing this i have to say i take it back
the PT ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o60/cylob46/han1-2.jpg

sweet jesus

i CANNOT wait to see Chewie!

He's not that bad...

overlord
I like the look of Naboo in TPM, but the story isn't all that impressive to me. AotC also had a couple of scenes which looked interesting, the story was quite aweful in my opinion though.
Of RotS I really loved the fight of Dooku amidst a giant space battle and the showdown in Sidious' office. All in all it does not compare to the well thought out story of episode 4-6.
The prequel trilogy seems to me as throwing in as many as possible scenes hoping it might leave an impression, creating a chaotic bunch of movies.

queeq
THe story potential was pretty good. But I do think Lucas failed in telling it properly.

For me, the major mistake is (officially) hiding Sidious' identity for the public until ROTS. I mean, the fans knew it, so why hide it from them. THe non-fans I spoke to suddenly got interested when I told them Sidious was Palpatine. No one got it, I still think that is a mistake.

Also, in the OT we the audience always knew up front what the bad guys were up to (ANH: getting the DS plans and crushing the rebellion - ESB: send out probes to find and destroy the rebels - ROTJ: new DS to finally lure and wipe out rebellion). We never knwo what's going on in the PT until the heroes find out. I think that is a flaw and a basic, unmotivated storytelling break from the OT, and not for the better.

vintageSW77
Originally posted by chinabing
AOTC is a mystery. ROTS is a tragedy.

this is true
AOTC is a mystery..as to what Lucas was on when he wrote and directed it and yes ROTS certainly is Tragic

The Wookie looks good in comparison to other Chewies ive seen but how is that going to end up in theatres as someone mentioned...itll never happen
its just another fan film except this time with a bigger budget
i think i saw those 3 guys at Memorabillia last week.....along with the obligitory fat chick dressed up as slave Leia

darthmaul1

The Wookie looks good in comparison to other Chewies ive seen but how is that going to end up in theatres as someone mentioned...itll never happen
its just another fan film except this time with a bigger budget
i think i saw those 3 guys at Memorabillia last week.....along with the obligitory fat chick dressed up as slave Leia

If you look at the web site the releases will include Edmonton, Calgary, Toronto, Chicago, Los Angeles and Washington where we have the network of people to ensure the proper publicity and venue is selected though the dates are yet to be determined.

It should be free as they can't make money and when it is realesed on DVD it will be free too.

http://www.xpressentertainment.ca/release.php

darthmaul1
THe story potential was pretty good. But I do think Lucas failed in telling it properly.

For me, the major mistake is (officially) hiding Sidious' identity for the public until ROTS. I mean, the fans knew it, so why hide it from them. THe non-fans I spoke to suddenly got interested when I told them Sidious was Palpatine. No one got it, I still think that is a mistake.

Also, in the OT we the audience always knew up front what the bad guys were up to (ANH: getting the DS plans and crushing the rebellion - ESB: send out probes to find and destroy the rebels - ROTJ: new DS to finally lure and wipe out rebellion). We never knwo what's going on in the PT until the heroes find out. I think that is a flaw and a basic, unmotivated storytelling break from the OT, and not for the better.

Ummm it was kept a mystery about vaders true identity until it was offically confirmed in EP VI.

So I i think it was great that they hid palps true identity, we all knew it, but for someone who may just be getting into STARWARS it would be cool to see, however vaders revalation in EP V wouldn't be as good.

vintageSW77
If you look at the web site the releases will include Edmonton, Calgary, Toronto, Chicago, Los Angeles and Washington where we have the network of people to ensure the proper publicity and venue is selected though the dates are yet to be determined.

It should be free as they can't make money and when it is realesed on DVD it will be free too.

http://www.xpressentertainment.ca/release.php

well i hope they do well
good luck to them

chinabing

Sidious was never revealed until ROTS, and not all fans knew it, as there are levels of fandom.

Spoilers are not a fault of the filmmakers, they're a fault of the viewer who chooses to become a spoilee. While it was a given we knew Anakin was going to turn, the how and why were the secret. That was the single motivating factor for me. Lucas has said the PT is Anakin's story, and the OT is Luke's story. All the PT political machinations and rise of the Empire were a delicious side dish.

And the core thing to remember is the PT are prequels... we know Anakin's going to go bad. I never thought nor expected the PT to be some kind of identical twin in every way to the OT because we know Vader was Anakin. Being a prequel is an enormous weight around the neck of th PTs. But I accept that the thing I want to know about, the rise of Vader, the clone wars, the Empire, were all things that were to be explained.

Could you imagine a PT to LOTR? This is how the witch king went bad, fell in love with the witch queen, had baby aragorn & etc. Naaaah.

Schecter
Sidious was never revealed until ROTS, and not all fans knew it, as there are levels of fandom.

the hint at the end of ep1 was far too strong. i would have known regardless.

megadeus
It doesn't seem like Palpatine being Sidious was really meant to be a surprise
to viewers, just the characters.
Anybody should have been able to realize who the guy in the robe really was...

queeq
THere was never a point to hiding Sidious' identity. TPM ends with: oooh... at least that strange man in the hood didn't get that treaty signed, that treaty for... for.... waht was it for? Why did he want it.

AOTC goes like: oooh there is that hooded man again. So now he has recruited Dooku to start a war... oooh... is that what the treaty was for?

ROTS: Why didn't you tell us, that would have made Palpatine much more interesting?

*reads ANH novel* Oh wait, here, back in 1977 it says Palpatine, a senator , becomes Emperor. And this Sidious guy looks exactly like the Emperor in ROTJ... So what was the fuss about hiding his character??? THERE WAS NONE!!!!

Schecter
no fuss, but they still intentionally didnt say so until ep3, which means to some degree its supposed to be a mystery.

vintageSW77
they may have well of had a big sign pointing at Palps saying ITS HIM!!! at the end of TPM after the "who was destroyed the master or..." quote and the sombre music finishing on Mcdiarmid which followed

i think Lucas made the Prequels in mind for future fans discarding our knowledge of Palps
McCallum said he hopes these flicks will one day be seen as one big story in order by fans ......guess that doesnt mean us

megadeus
When Palpatine's doing his Sith stuff he dresses like a Sith.
That doesn't seem unreasonable. If there was meant to be any mystery regarding
Sidious's ID, it clearly was just for the duration of Ep. One.
Maybe Lucas did that for kids who will come along later, who knows?

queeq
From a suspense point of view it would have worked much better if we had known the nice senator was really a bad guy. That would have made Palpy and Sidious more interesting, and the threat for our heroes would be clear. Now we're all left in the dark and therefore not caring.

What was the treaty about?
Why did they go about all this trouble to kill Padme? Just to please the weak Neimodians who act like obedient dogs to Sidious up to the end? OB1 finds out his mystery by doing not that much: going to Kamino, surviving the fight with Jango, and accidentally overhearing the reason for the attacks on Padme.
All that 'mystery' sucks... GL can't write a who-dunnit... He should have sticked to the storytelling style of the OT. That would have worked much better.

chinabing
From a suspense point of view it would have worked much better if we had known the nice senator was really a bad guy. That would have made Palpy and Sidious more interesting, and the threat for our heroes would be clear. Now we're all left in the dark and therefore not caring.

What was the treaty about?
Why did they go about all this trouble to kill Padme? Just to please the weak Neimodians who act like obedient dogs to Sidious up to the end? OB1 finds out his mystery by doing not that much: going to Kamino, surviving the fight with Jango, and accidentally overhearing the reason for the attacks on Padme.
All that 'mystery' sucks... GL can't write a who-dunnit... He should have sticked to the storytelling style of the OT. That would have worked much better.
Well, it ain't your story, is it? AOTC was a great mystery, I was shocked at it becoming a mystery, but that's what it was. A whodunnit that switches to a mystery entangled with a love story, and then a huge, multi-layered finale! Whaddya mean we're left in the dark and don't care? 'We' do care! Everybody thinks they can do Star Wars better than GL. Well, you can't. Yah Yah Yea Lucas can't write, tell me something I don't know. Every single SW movie has cringe-worthy lines, big deal, that's part of the fun! Lucas is writing it in the style of the Saturday morning serials. It ain't Shakespeare.

queeq
I don't think I can do SW better... I do think Lucas can do better, because he did.
An dit's not about lines, or story. But it is about storyTELLING. I used to be the thing he was good at, with SW, Indy and even in helping out Coppola in the late 80s...

overlord
You were shocked at AotC becoming a mystery.. ? That sounds interesting..

Funny thing is, I actually started screaming half way the movie realising that the movie was becoming a chaotic weird film with the clones being good guys and no threat at all.

vintageSW77
i watched ROTS on sat night on tv and enjoyed it!
i was on my 6th can of K by the time Order66 came up and was well into it
so there you go
under the influence ROTS isnt so bad

i reckon ill need a hit of pcp,a couple of grammes of coke,a hit of heroin,2 tabs of LSD,half a bottle of tequila and a shot of absinthe for AOTC to work for me though

chewy16
I think a huge thing that everyone is missing here is replay value of a particular SW film, and that is what seperates the OT from the PT for me, and in the end that comes down to quality, which is all one big IMO.

For me personally, there are only two great SW films, ANH & ESB, and the rest have great moments, and bad moments, but ROTJ always gets an edge over the PT movies simply because it is the ending of the OT, so in a sense, you want to have closure. The PT has to be watched with the OT, as it cannot standalone, yet the OT can still be watched without the PT, as it stood by itself for 20 years as nobody thought the story was incomplete in 1983, we just wanted more!

And this is where everyone seems to miss the boat, do you want to watch an OK/average movie countless times? I like the PT story and how it gives an epic scale now to the OT and the saga overall. But I really can't sit there and really watch TPM & AOTC that much, cause they are just OK movies. I can watch ROTS more, because it really delves into the red meat of the story we waited for, but in a sense it is married to a worse TPM & AOTC the same way ROTJ is married to a better ANH & ESB. Now compare that ANH & ESB and I have watched them hundreds of times in my life, cause I truly love those movies, and ROTJ hitched its wagon to me loving it, cause it was just one OK movie, but now you are asking me to watch 4 OK movies hundreds of times?

I just think the OT had that rare combination of great characters, edge of your seat action, and great drama, while the PT is more of a plot driven trilogy, with not a good characters overall, and though I don't think the PT is as bad as everyone says, I don't think it is great either.

queeq
No replay value... Apart from ROTS I concur.

exanda kane
ROTS doesn't even have replay value for me; I browse through my collection sometimes, after an easily watchable film I can loose myself in, stop on ROTS, then remember how awful the first half is, and move on.

But I definetly agree that ANH and ESB are "the" great Star Wars films.

Schecter
RotJ was the best one ninja notice i said "was"

queeq
Was.

Schecter
jabba's palace musical number + "weeesa free!!!" + hayden = fail

queeq
Quite.

chinabing
Originally posted by chewy16
I just think the OT had that rare combination of great characters, edge of your seat action, and great drama, while the PT is more of a plot driven trilogy, with not a good characters overall, and though I don't think the PT is as bad as everyone says, I don't think it is great either.

I do what Lucas says, consider it all one big movie, split into chapters. I've never been one to pit ANH vs. AOTC in some kind of weird Celebrity Death Match. True, they're separate, but part of one big pie. I love watching all 6 movies. I do think the PT is great. The OT was groundbreaking, while the PT came around when everybody and their brother was doing SF and fantasy.

I love that watching the Vader strangulations in the OT affect me differently now that I know Padme was his first victim. You see things differently in both trilogies thanks to the other trilogy, I love that about the series now.

queeq
Some things are different indeed, some for the better, some for the worse.

sithsaber408
I do what Lucas says, consider it all one big movie, split into chapters. I've never been one to pit ANH vs. AOTC in some kind of weird Celebrity Death Match. True, they're separate, but part of one big pie. I love watching all 6 movies. I do think the PT is great. The OT was groundbreaking, while the PT came around when everybody and their brother was doing SF and fantasy.

I love that watching the Vader strangulations in the OT affect me differently now that I know Padme was his first victim. You see things differently in both trilogies thanks to the other trilogy, I love that about the series now.

yes thumb up

That's about how I see it too.

All of Kenobi's and Yoda's lines now take on more power and signifigance as well.

queeq
Although, we do hear a few troo many of them. In the OT they appeared profound, but when we hear the blind-for-the-dark-side Jedi continually speak such lines, it gets kinda weak,.
Yoda really lost it with: "Around the survivors a perimeter make."

sithsaber408
I was talking about the OT lines. stick out tongue

"Much anger in him, like his father."

"Do not underestimate the powers of the Emporer."

"He's got too much of his father in him."
"That's what I'm afraid of."

Those type of lines were already important for Luke's story, but now that the focus has shifted with the PT, they take on even more meaning.

queeq
Ah... right.

chinabing
Although, we do hear a few troo many of them. In the OT they appeared profound, but when we hear the blind-for-the-dark-side Jedi continually speak such lines, it gets kinda weak,.
Yoda really lost it with: "Around the survivors a perimeter make." Sometimes in the prequels Yoda didn't speak backwards, i.e. "Good work commander. Bring me a ship." Why wasn't it "A ship, bring me"?

Those kinds of inconsistencies don't make me wince.

queeq
Yoda is supposed to speak consistently?

Tangible God
Yoda is supposed to speak consistently? Plot consistencies, you semantic spotting noodle.

Schecter
Sometimes in the prequels Yoda didn't speak backwards, i.e. "Good work commander. Bring me a ship." Why wasn't it "A ship, bring me"?

Those kinds of inconsistencies don't make me wince.

i guess you werent paying attention in ESB and so...

"that is why you fail"

stick out tongue

sithsaber408
ZING!

laughing out loud

Schecter
dude, not to pat myself on the back....but that zing read on the rhicter scale in frikin china...i dont think a more perfect setup was ever offered to anyone in kmc history stick out tongue

queeq
laughing out loud

overlord
Yoda really lost it with: "Around the survivors a perimeter make." Yoda's just old, he forget to include "make" and added it at the end of the sentence.

sithsaber408
Originally posted by Schecter
dude, not to pat myself on the back....but that zing read on the rhicter scale in frikin china...i dont think a more perfect setup was ever offered to anyone in kmc history stick out tongue

Yes, Paul... we all recognize the power of your devasting humor and clever wit. big grin

Twas a rather good setup though, if I do say so myself.

Good show, quite right.

Now that I've made it a rule to stay out of political/religious threads and just keep my beliefs as... well, MY beliefs... we might end up as forum comrades.

Or "if you could be turned, you would become a powerfull ally." evil face

Schecter
Originally posted by sithsaber408
Yes, Paul... we all recognize the power of your devasting humor and clever wit. big grin

wit? nono it didnt take wit. all it takes is remembering every stupid line in SW

Lord Melkor
Actually my fiancee thinks that Episode 1 is the best SW movie, because it has the greatest fun factor for her. Though she thinks that Jar-Jar is very cute.

queeq
We don't marry our women for their intelligence, do we? wink

exanda kane
laughing

Saying that, my partner has never seen a Star Wars film, and I'm not really up to showing it to her, as a fear I may have slightly overrated it. Still has a nice taste in films though.

Lord Melkor
Well, her taste is actually quite compatible with mine.... We both really like fantasy and anime for example. She may register here because I recommended Ush`s RPG games to her.

By the way Queeg, why did you stop playing Ush`s games so long ago? I have been reading through the old posts recently and I really liked your Dark Jedi character.

queeq
Yeah, I liked it too. It was always fun, but I couldn't find the time to keep up. So Quam went back to his own planet, enjoying galactic beer and twilek ladies. Maybe one day he'll come out of retirement and dust off his two lightsabres.

Lord Melkor
Yes, and you actually seemed to use seduction..... almost no players in those games use it, which is a shame.

queeq
Yes, it is. Hehehehe

chinabing
So what are Yoda's backward-speaking grammar rules? He didn't do it all the time in the OT or the PT. Only when he's using the force?

queeq
I don't think there is a rule.

Faith27
I just watched this movie yesterday....actually I'm not interested with this film but many people said that I must watch this.., so I'm curious if the story was good..and it didn't failed my expectations...by the way, Hayden much handsome on Episode 2 rather than 3.

queeq
Ya think?

General G
Just from a guy's POV (not gay by the way)...but I would say he looked better in Ep. 3.

queeq
His acting was better at least.

General G
Yes, the acting abilities is always a good thing when they go up.

queeq
Yes, makes it more watchable, better than a pretty face.

General G
Which gets pretty old after a while.

queeq
That too, but also annoyiong when the acting sucks.

General G
Hence AOTC=bad...not nice to look at and not the best acting.

queeq
One of the reason. AOTC=obsolete is the most important one.

General G
There are just too many...lack of storytelling...lack of plot points...lack of...lack of....

queeq
...need to be.

General G
laughing out loud

Lord Knightfa11
talking yoda rule: Screw Must Up all words any order reasonable of out you.

translation:
the yoda talking rule: You must Screw up all the words out of any reasonable order.

General G
The mixing up makes sense.

queeq
Well, it doesn't and that's why it does.

General G
Yes, we can still understand him nicely.

queeq
Of course, he's Yoda.

Sesse
No sense this debate makes. Too judgemental have I been.

queeq
Forgiven are you.

C Teng
you'd think that after 800 years of teaching normal-speaking jedi, Yoda's grammar would improve.

C Teng
Forgiven are you. Wouldn't it be, "Forgiven, you are"?

queeq
Maybe Alzheimer's was setting in.

Sadako of Girth
Originally posted by C Teng
Wouldn't it be, "Forgiven, you are"?

Not neccessarily....

In ROTJ he uses the structure "Not ready for the burden were you"
rather than "Ready for the burden, you were not".

Ergo: He lets that shit slide occasionally.
(or has he alzheimers like Queeq says. stick out tongue )

queeq
He uses the words as they come.

General G
He uses many words queeq, in many different orders.

queeq
That's what I said.

Rogue Jedi
Very crappy, this thread has become.

queeq
Happening sh!t does.

General G
A shame, it is.

Superboy Prime
I would definitely take out Jar Jar. I would've made Anakin a young adult, instead of a slave boy...but it works to establish his bonding with his mother and make his loss even bigger. The Pod Race was too ****ing long. Maul did nothing except look cool.

However the movie is not a complete disaster. People's expectations were just too high.

queeq
And shouldn't they be? THey continued the greatest and most defining film trilogy of all times.

Tangible God
Originally posted by Superboy Prime
I would definitely take out Jar Jar. I would've made Anakin a young adult, instead of a slave boy...but it works to establish his bonding with his mother and make his loss even bigger. The Pod Race was too ****ing long. Maul did nothing except look cool.

However the movie is not a complete disaster. People's expectations were just too high. I wasn't expecting Jar Jar, as he was, at all. So... big piss-off for me.

queeq
Yup... kiddie stuff, Caravan of Courage-style.

JediRobin23
Some people are just pi$$ed off that Lucas didn't make EP 1 2 3 exact duplicates of EP 4 5 6. Move on to new things and keep an open mind. I very much enjoyed the PT

queeq
Who said anything about duplicates? I had expected better movies since he didn't have any limitations this time.

Tangible God
Originally posted by JediRobin23
Some people are just pi$$ed off that Lucas didn't make EP 1 2 3 exact duplicates of EP 4 5 6. Move on to new things and keep an open mind. I very much enjoyed the PT Yeah, we all enjoyed them, but that doesn't stop the movies from being disappointments. Lucas had a HELLUVA lot more time and money for the PT and he gave us kiddie-geared crap for TPM, a crappy love story for AOTC, and general let-downs in the fields of the War and Anakin's relationship. As good and fun to watch as they are, the PT is the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the films.

The man directed ANH while under stress for time and money, and he made a damn fine film. Too bad he didn't go broke in-between all the PT movies.

queeq
laughing out loud

Stun
Well, i still havent changed my mind on the PT - however long the constant abuse carries on for stick out tongue

Elite Hunter
It was kind of obvious that there would be a love story in the prequels. I mean if no one expected a love story to be a primary storyline what did you expect? That Anakin made out with some hooker before his lava bath.

queeq
Hehehe... Would have added to his character though.

Lord Knightfa11
THE GUNGUN/EWOK JAMBOREE! THE HORROR, THE HORROR!!!

queeq
You're going to far.

sweersa
I think so many people loved the original trilogy and had their own unique expectations for the prequels is why so many had an idea of what they wanted.

They are Lucas' movies, he can do what he wants, whatever happens in his movies is what happened in Star Wars...until he changes it in some special edition or something, he can do what he wants because it is his property.

If you break them down they are all great movies, all nine, er I mean six.

I personally enjoyed all 6 movies, I think we all do, because then we wouldn't own them on all in three versions on DVD and VHS, and don't even get me started on how many times we all went to see each film on the silver screen...

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>