Morgoth VS Eru

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Burning thought
this isnt exactley a fight, ofc Eru could prob crush him and all the valour with less than a movement if he so wished to but i was wondering

is he able to destroy morgoth or is he allowing morgoth to do all these terrible things..i mean in the Silmarillion he wipes out the Numenor peoples and swallows nearly all of them into the sea, almost their whole race...simply for "almost" making an attack on the Valour....however after all the terrible things Morgoth has done, inlcuding corrupting the world in the first place, why didnt Eru just erase him and allow his world to go on similiar to the way he did the Numenor

vanice
I'm under the impression that eru left all the control of arda to the valar and never interrupted anymore since it was created. I might be wrong. gotta look it up.

Burning thought
well he destroyed the Numerons after the Valour sought his aid in the fall of numenor which is long after creation

it says "manwe called upon Illuvatar and for that time the valour held down their goverment of arda and illuvatar let forth his powers" something like that

de Peverel

Burning thought

ESB -1138
Ok...going by the thread (Morgoth vs Eru) and not just crying that Eru gave the Valour control I'll actually answer the question.

Eru would win.

Willaume
Originally posted by Burning thought
yes i thought so, it just seems strange that the Valour have to put all this effort into Destroying Morgoth and his minions and allowed him to cause so much hurt when Eru just oblivterates things, ime sure hes knowledgable of all these things Morgoth has done and so its still peculier to me that he doesnt sent forth his power unto forgoth...but then i suppose we wouldnt have a story smile

Exactly.
People always complain, "If there's a God, then why doesn't he do this," or "Why doesn't he do that." Its simple: He doesn't want to interfere with our existence. If it ever got to such a ridiculous point that the Valar had not chance of defeating Melcor, Eru would have cast Melcor out himself (or by his own will alone).

Originally posted by ESB -1138
Ok...going by the thread (Morgoth vs Eru) and not just crying that Eru gave the Valour control I'll actually answer the question.

Eru would win.

yes

Discos
My opinion is that Eru was showing an example of his power to man - by opening the Abyss. Bassicaly to scare them.

I personally think the Valar did nothing much to stop Morgoth until it was far beyond point of caring. Too many men and elves died when all it took was asking "my man" Tulkas to take out Morgoth and use him as a nice rug.

Meh, it's Tolkien's work....and he is a geniuse, so how am I to argue?

ESB -1138
This is like making a thread entitled "God vs Satan." Sure Satan is powerful but God is all powerful. God > Satan.

In the same manner Morgoth is Satan and Eru is God so Eru > Morgoth by complete logic.

IAmRational
We can relate this to our own world; How can God let errible events such as the holocaust occur if he is able to stop it? The answer is that God, or in this case Eru, gave free will to his creations, such as Morgoth (Melkor), and he does not wish to interfere. Of course Eru is entirely capable of defeating Morgoth just as much as God is capable of defeating me.

kamhal
Or maybe God doesn't exist... lol...

Cap'n Happy
Most of the post's have it right:

Eru = God

Morgoth/Melkor = Satan
The Valar = Archangels
The Ainur = lesser angels

After the creation, Eru released his active control over all that he created, and let his angels play out their appointed parts.

The Secret Fire
Originally posted by Cap'n Happy
After the creation, Eru released his active control over all that he created, and let his angels play out their appointed parts.

Exactly. And in reality, there was NO such thing as 'free will' because Eru/Illuvatar had already "appointed" every being with their fate.

Makes you think... I personally don't believe in God, found it all too hard.

ESB -1138
Originally posted by kamhal
Or maybe God doesn't exist... lol...

Or maybe God just let's us suffer consequences to are own stupid actions. But the entire fight is pointless seeing that Eru is above all in the LotR universe. It just shows that we're running out of ideas for the LotR thread.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.