Viacom vs Youtube

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Thundar
I'm thinking that Youtube will probably win this round. But let's say that Viacom does win, what type of effect will any decision against Youtube have on blogsites and message boards like this one. If a user posts a link to an article, newsclip, etc will they have then violated US copyright law. Who will be held responsable, the user or the website? I'm interested in getting some opinions on these issues.

Schecter
silly question. the little people (us) get stuck with the bill/fine every time.
if there is no way to accomplish this, no fines will be issued at all for copyright infringement.

Grand_Moff_Gav
Youtube is utter garbage, I hate to say it but it is...that is coming from a person who posts vids there, if you dont then you will be fine.

Robtard
Originally posted by Grand_Moff_Gav
Youtube is utter garbage, I hate to say it but it is...that is coming from a person who posts vids there, if you dont then you will be fine.

Why is it "garbage"? It seems to serve it's purpose rather well.

Schecter
it annoys me how videos are randomly flagged as 'mature/inappropriate' when in fact they are not. seems to be no real quality control.

Grand_Moff_Gav
Well, I'm not sure if you've ever uploaded videos and what not but the servers are prone to crashing leaving you sitting for hours with a video half uploaded...or there is the comment system which doesn't work, the video response feature is also very temperamental and dear god how I hate the HCI!

Grand_Moff_Gav
Originally posted by Schecter
it annoys me how videos are randomly flagged as 'mature/inappropriate' when in fact they are not. seems to be no real quality control.

Yup! That too and if someone reports copyright theft...youtube dont check, they just deleate it.

Schecter
...or there is the comment system which doesn't work,

forgot to add that. frustrating as **** that is mad
its 50/50 on my home computer with firefox, but at work on mac/safari
it simply does not work at all erm

JacopeX
it annoys me how videos are randomly flagged as 'mature/inappropriate' when in fact they are not. seems to be no real quality control. .........

Grand_Moff_Gav
forgot to add that. frustrating as **** that is mad
it simply does not work at all erm

I hear Livevideo is meant to be better, but I need youtube for the links.

Strangelove
Youtube is actually kind of shit these days. They remove all the best videos erm

{{QS}}
Originally posted by Strangelove
Youtube is actually kind of shit these days. They remove all the best videos erm

Agreed they were better pre-Google buyout.Althouhg Google don't seem to have much control as a video tricking people into DDos attacking Google is still there.Why would they keep it?

Grand_Moff_Gav
DDos?

ragesRemorse
never been on either, so i'll take everyones word for it on this one. Is there even anything worth doing on you tube other than watching other peolpes dumbass videos?

{{QS}}
DDos?

Distributed Denial of Sevice attacks are when you trick people into using a site so much that it crashes.Look up google tv on youtube, that was the attack.

Thundar
Well, I'm not sure if you've ever uploaded videos and what not but the servers are prone to crashing leaving you sitting for hours with a video half uploaded...or there is the comment system which doesn't work, the video response feature is also very temperamental and dear god how I hate the HCI!

Originally posted by PVS
forgot to add that. frustrating as **** that is
it simply does not work at all

I've uploaded a few. Never experienced any problems with it though.

Regarding the topic though, I'm starting to think that this case will have some major impacts on copyright law. I'm thinking that they should lower the standards a bit on digital copyrights. Some of these media companies think they should be entitled to make money off of everything. After a point, this type of mentality can be a bit over-controlling and intrusive.

I mean, I think an individual should be able to share media files with friends and family members. Who the hell cares if all of their friends own a copy or not. I don't have to get any permission from a car company, when my friend asks to use my car. Same rational should be applied to digital media.

To me, it's kind of silly how Viacom and other companies are getting upset about people posting clips of TV shows and whatnot. Same with anime. Half of the stuff would never even have a market in the states if it weren't for overzealous fans posting clips and fansubbers.

Grand_Moff_Gav
For a second there I thought you suggested they relax the Mickey Mouse Protection Act! embarrasment

Disney will kill you for such a suggestion.

Thundar
For a second there I thought you suggested they relax the Mickey Mouse Protection Act! embarrasment

Disney will kill you for such a suggestion.

Aren't too many things that disney produces that people want to watch anymore, so it doesn't really matter anyway..wink

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.