Super DragonBall Z

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Emperor Ashtar
I'm pretty sure I'm like the only indivdual in KMC that gives a damn about this game laughing It's an arcade fighter developed by a company called "Craft & Meister". A small newley founded company which is headed by Noritaka Funiizu (Former producer of Street Fighter, Vampire Savior, Rival Schools, and many other famous capcom fighters) and some developers who worked on Street Fighter 2. Unlike most Dragonball Z fighters, Chou focuses on gameplay rather than thatrics and is similar to a traditonal fighting game. It features: Destructable enviorments, Classic gameplay, and a well balanced cast. The game has a poor console adatation, but since there are not much arcades of this game in the states. It simply cannot be helped, I just hope Super Dragonball Z becomes popular enough to form a tourney scene.

VT6eJaC-V2g
Piccolo Jr. Vs Frieza

iZcrRHMU-1w
Son Goku Vs Vegeta

SaTsuJiN
I showed it to my friends and said "would you play with me if I got it"

all I got were a few blank stares and some "hell no"s erm

Emperor Ashtar
Originally posted by SaTsuJiN
I showed it to my friends and said "would you play with me if I got it"

all I got were a few blank stares and some "hell no"s erm

Did you show them the arcade or console adaptation?

juggernaut66666
I have the game but it's meh.It's nowhere near budokai 3 or tenkaichi there are only few characters the effects and explosions are pretty "lame" and the fighting system is pretty bad.

Emperor Ashtar
Originally posted by juggernaut66666
fighting system is pretty bad.

How exactly is the fighting system "Bad"?

SaTsuJiN
Originally posted by Emperor Ashtar
Did you show them the arcade or console adaptation?

well theres no arcade around here unless I go to NYC (one used to be in our shopping area, but it went under cuz they never kept the games updated).. so I could only show them the tourney videos on youtube.. our only cool local video game shop (imports and everything) went bankrupt or something of that sort... now we're just stuck with an EBgames and GameStop..../shudder

juggernaut66666
How exactly is the fighting system "Bad"?
Combos,transformation,blasts.........

Emperor Ashtar
well theres no arcade around here unless I go to NYC (one used to be in our shopping area, but it went under cuz they never kept the games updated).. so I could only show them the tourney videos on youtube.. our only cool local video game shop (imports and everything) went bankrupt or something of that sort... now we're just stuck with an EBgames and GameStop..../shudder

Gamestop is really good, EBgames on the otherhand. . .
Anyway, the arcade version is way better than it's console counter part (What else is new in fighting games).

Emperor Ashtar
Originally posted by juggernaut66666
Combos,transformation,blasts.........
Please be more specific, because the combo system is balanced since you can't whore moves to do uber damage due to damafe scaling. I don't get what you mean by transformations, since Super Dragonball Z actually makes transformations useful and balanced. Compared to Budokai 3 and tenkaiichi 2, where only the final transformations are useful. and, blast, huh?

SaTsuJiN
well the problem with most dragonball games I've seen is that the game goes one way or the other...

-all out on the melee and have crappy energy
-all out on the energy and have crappy melee

tenkaichi2 I'd say has almost the best of both worlds, save for balance of course

I just really really dont like dial-a-combos... ala tekken 10-hits.. that just annoys the crap out of me.. its why I never bothered with mortal kombat... to me a combo system should be free-form

Emperor Ashtar
well the problem with most dragonball games I've seen is that the game goes one way or the other...

-all out on the melee and have crappy energy
-all out on the energy and have crappy melee

tenkaichi2 I'd say has almost the best of both worlds, save for balance of course

-Super DragonBall Z balances them as well, since sidestepping trumps projectiles with ease.

-Melee attacks on the other hand have solid tracking, so, no sidestep whoring.

-And this game has the 8 way run system like soul calibur.

I just really really dont like dial-a-combos... ala tekken 10-hits.. that just annoys the crap out of me.. its why I never bothered with mortal kombat... to me a combo system should be free-form

No, dial-a-combo in this game smile

Emperor Ashtar
90OdCHuT5WY

Console Version smile

H. S. 6
Why the hell do they keep making these games?

Does anyone actually buy them?

Kazenji
Well this game is actually shite compared to the tenkaichi and budokai games. Except for budokai 1 and 2 which are also in the shit pile with this one.

grey fox
Originally posted by Kazenji
Well this game is actually shite compared to the tenkaichi and budokai games. Except for budokai 1 and 2 which are also in the shit pile with this one.

Budokai 1 was great ! It had the best story mode ( actual cut-scenes not fuggin images) and pretty good visuals (gameplay was a little slow but you can't have everything)

I'll acknowledge that Super DBZ has done a FEW things right though.

1.More costumes : Kai Warrior Gohan and Alien outfit Goku thumb up

2. Characters with swords actually using them ! Trunks is primarily a sword fighter , then a h2h warrior , the severe lack of sword usage in earlier games got me pissed.

3. King Piccolo being more then a pallete swap thumb up

4. Attacks followed by Katanka ( Japanese writing), just makes it feel a little more manga-ish which (IMO) is a good thing.

5. Acknowledging Friezas TP , mental powers seem underused on DBZ , even though a large portion of the cast appear to have them.

6. ChiChi , finally getting her into a game she brings back everything good from the original Dragonball (Niyobo , Bonsho Fan and Flying Cloud)

Kazenji
Originally posted by grey fox
Budokai 1 was great ! It had the best story mode ( actual cut-scenes not fuggin images) and pretty good visuals (gameplay was a little slow but you can't have everything)

oh come on the load times were pathetic compared to the second and third.

SaTsuJiN
4. Attacks followed by Katanka ( Japanese writing), just makes it feel a little more manga-ish which (IMO) is a good thing.

katakana... (hiragana and kanji are also used).. and they were also used in the tenkaichi games as well. Though I believe its converted to english, and you do not have the option to view the japanese text.. but hey at least they have the japanese voices... the american dub is sooo horrible

grey fox
katakana... (hiragana and kanji are also used).. and they were also used in the tenkaichi games as well. Though I believe its converted to english, and you do not have the option to view the japanese text.. but hey at least they have the japanese voices... the american dub is sooo horrible

No I meant in the attacks. Ie a beam fires across the landscape and it's followed by Kanji/katanka that basically mean 'whoosh'.Originally posted by Kazenji
oh come on the load times were pathetic compared to the second and third.

10-15 seconds. Are you THAT impatient.

SaTsuJiN
ah you mean the onomatopoeias... yeah those are cool

but it looks like I'll have to wait til ChoDBZ hits the bargain bin -,- since noone I know would play it.... I think only my one nephew would (he's like the 'only' one that doesnt whine when he loses at fighting games.. so I try to train him every now and then... he's sorta decent but still makes stupid decisions).

((The_Anomaly))
I'll say it. DBZ games don't make good 'traditional' fighting games. It just doesn't fit with what the show/ manga is. DBZ IS flashy and IS about super speed and insane attacks and transformations. While Super DBZ might well be the best traditional DBZ fighter, it lacks half of what makes DBZ DBZ and compared to Budokai 3 and especially BT2 the game is boring to play and boring to look at and much slower then the other DBZ installments. BT2 is the best DBZ game as it is the game that is most true to what DBZ is, and it does it with style and polish.

Emperor Ashtar
Originally posted by ((The_Anomaly))
I'll say it. DBZ games don't make good 'traditional' fighting games.

This one definetly does especially compared to the new crappy fighters out there now a days.

It just doesn't fit with what the show/ manga is. DBZ IS flashy and IS about super speed and insane attacks and transformations.

None of those things really make a good game, let alone a good fighting game. Besides we have buttloads of DBZ games with flashy attacks, Mad Transformations, and Super Speed. While we have no serious DBZ fighters what so ever.

While Super DBZ might well be the best traditional DBZ fighter

It is the Best smile

it lacks half of what makes DBZ DBZ and compared to Budokai 3 and especially BT2 the game is boring to play and boring to look at and much slower then the other DBZ installments. BT2 is the best DBZ game as it is the game that is most true to what DBZ is, and it does it with style and polish.

-Super DBZ is not slow at all, it just doesn't have random teleports like Budokai 3.

-Super DBZ plays like a traditional fighitng game, BT2 is not a really a fighting game. It's more of a DBZ sim/action game so, to compare it to Super DBZ would create an apple and oranges argument.

-True Super DBZ isn't as flashy as the other DBZ games, but great gameplay, actually balanced cast (Which is much more than I can say for tenkaiichi 2), A great fighting engine, and rock solid gameplay make up for that fact. Besides this is Craft & Meisters first game can you blame them if it doesn't look too crisp.

- The only thing BT2 has going for it is the fact that it's chalked full of DBZ/GT characters.

((The_Anomaly))
Yes, but BT2 is TRUE to what DBZ is. As I said DBZ cant and doesn't make a good traditional fighting game simply because it isn't what DBZ is about. While Super DBZ may be the best traditional DBZ fighter, it is far from being true to what the fights in the series are. Super DBZ is a normal fighter with DBZ characters slapped into it and moves that sorta mimic something thats done in DBZ. The thing is though, playing it almost in no way creates the feel of DBZ, it lacks all that makes DBZ DBZ. BT2 IS what DBZ is about, it is the closest any game has come to actually being true to what the fights in the show/ manga depict, it has all the things that make DBZ DBZ, Super DBZ lacks almost all of this and therefore makes it a BAD DBZ game. (Not necessarily a bad game, but a bad DBZ game)

Super DBZ is simply a mediocre traditional fighter with DBZ characters in it, BT2 IS DBZ through and through.

Emperor Ashtar
Yes, but BT2 is TRUE to what DBZ is. As I said DBZ cant and doesn't make a good traditional fighting game simply because it isn't what DBZ is about.

What exactlyly is keeping DBZ from making a great tradtional fighter when:

-It relvoves around fighting
-Super DBZ rocks

While Super DBZ may be the best traditional DBZ fighter, it is far from being true to what the fights in the series are.

There already so many Dragonball games that try to capture the feel of the anime. So, why would we need another one?

Oh, and FYI, Super DBZ is the only DBZ game that Akira Toriyama approves of. Since it captures the feel of the manga rather than the anime.

Super DBZ is a normal fighter with DBZ characters slapped into it and moves that sorta mimic something thats done in DBZ. The thing is though, playing it almost in no way creates the feel of DBZ, it lacks all that makes DBZ DBZ. BT2 IS what DBZ is about, it is the closest any game has come to actually being true to what the fights in the show/ manga depict, it has all the things that make DBZ DBZ, Super DBZ lacks almost all of this and therefore makes it a BAD DBZ game. (Not necessarily a bad game, but a bad DBZ game)

Neither Budokai or Tenkaiichi touch the feel of the manga. Since they feature:

-Characters that do not appear in the manga
-Color schemes that are closer to the anime and not the manga
-None of them are approved by Toriyama, since he Re-designed Mecha Frieza for SDBZ and was at a SDBZ tournament signing autographs for the winner.

How is it a mediocore traditional fighter, please name a current fighter that's better.

Kazenji

10-15 seconds. Are you THAT impatient.

No. But seriously were talking about a fighting game here something like that is'nt ment to take that friggan long to load.

((The_Anomaly))
What exactlyly is keeping DBZ from making a great tradtional fighter when:

-It relvoves around fighting
-Super DBZ rocks

There already so many Dragonball games that try to capture the feel of the anime. So, why would we need another one?

Oh, and FYI, Super DBZ is the only DBZ game that Akira Toriyama approves of. Since it captures the feel of the manga rather than the anime.

Neither Budokai or Tenkaiichi touch the feel of the manga. Since they feature:

-Characters that do not appear in the manga
-Color schemes that are closer to the anime and not the manga
-None of them are approved by Toriyama, since he Re-designed Mecha Frieza for SDBZ and was at a SDBZ tournament signing autographs for the winner.

How is it a mediocore traditional fighter, please name a current fighter that's better.

I'll answer it with: no game capturers the feel of what it would be like to fight in the DBZ universe more then BT2. Super DBZ isn't even remotely close to capturing it.

Plus, who cares if its got characters that don't appear in the manga, the manga isn't the be all and end all of DBZ, the universe is much bigger and more varied then that. Plus the characters look like the anime, which is the most prominent between the anime and the manga, naturally they're going to make the game look like the more popular and well known of the two. Plus it doesn't capture the "feel" of the manga at all, the fights looking and feel nothing like the fights in the manga.

And as for naming fighters that are better...are you kidding me? Soul Caliber, Tekken, DOA, Super Smash Bros, even the last few Mortal Kombat's are better then Super DBZ.

Emperor Ashtar
I'll answer it with: no game capturers the feel of what it would be like to fight in the DBZ universe more then BT2. Super DBZ isn't even remotely close to capturing it.

Despite the fact it was apporved by the creator of the series? BT2 only appeal is the buttload of content, the gameplay isn't anything that hasn't been done before. Comparing Super DragonBall Z to Budokai:Tenkaiichi 2 is an apples and orange argument.

Plus, who cares if its got characters that don't appear in the manga, the manga isn't the be all and end all of DBZ, the universe is much bigger and more varied then that.

Doesn't matter since all those additions are non-canon additions created by toei and not by toriyama. So, how does BT2 stay true to Dragon Ball when it doesn't even stay true to the source or is approved by the creator?

It features characters from GT, a series that Toriyama didn't even like.

Plus the characters look like the anime, which is the most prominent between the anime and the manga, naturally they're going to make the game look like the more popular and well known of the two. Plus it doesn't capture the "feel" of the manga at all, the fights looking and feel nothing like the fights in the manga.

-What relevance does the anime have when it's not the source material?
-The fights looks exactly like the manga, hell they even render the sound effects of the manga in the game
-Toriyama approves of it
-FYI, the anime doesn't look like the manga

And as for naming fighters that are better...are you kidding me? Soul Caliber, Tekken, DOA, Super Smash Bros, even the last few Mortal Kombat's are better then Super DBZ.

There are 2 only fighters on that list that are good: Tekken and Smash Bros.

SaTsuJiN
I'm sure he's approving of the visuals more so than the actual pace of the fights taking place.. we all know that dragonball universe is the staple of fast crazy fighting, and many anime and manga have copied it... so I cant come to believe that ChoDBZ replicates the manga fighting-wise..

was it a good gameplay decision?.. absolutely.. if they had made the energy any faster, noone would bother to melee.. and vice versa for the melee... if one were to truely replicate dbz.. noone would have the reaction speed to play it lol

GT is definitely a stupid series.... saiyan 3 was bad enough.. but they crossed the line with 4.. the extended lineage was interesting though

Also, I feel that soul calibur series is leagues above tekken (except soul calibur 3... ew)... the air maneuverability to prevent juggles, 8-way run, parry / push systems, and tight controls always keep the game on edge

Emperor Ashtar
I'm sure he's approving of the visuals more so than the actual pace of the fights taking place.. we all know that dragonball universe is the staple of fast crazy fighting, and many anime and manga have copied it... so I cant come to believe that ChoDBZ replicates the manga fighting-wise..
Visuals and Gameplay yes

GT is definitely a stupid series.... saiyan 3 was bad enough.. but they crossed the line with 4.. the extended lineage was interesting though
Supa Saiya-jin 3 was not bad to be honest, It was more distinctive than Suap Saiya-jin 2 and it was not compleley overpowered as well.

grey fox

was it a good gameplay decision?.. absolutely.. if they had made the energy any faster, noone would bother to melee.. and vice versa for the melee... if one were to truely replicate dbz.. noone would have the reaction speed to play it lol

Also, I feel that soul calibur series is leagues above tekken (except soul calibur 3... ew)... the air maneuverability to prevent juggles, 8-way run, parry / push systems, and tight controls always keep the game on edge

Whats wrong with SC 3 ?

Emperor Ashtar
Whats wrong with SC 3 ?

Variable Cancel sad

SaTsuJiN
not to mention namco refuses to have an official tournament for it (thats what I heard anyways)... way too many new moves that weren't balanced properly.

Emperor Ashtar
not to mention namco refuses to have an official tournament for it (thats what I heard anyways)... way too many new moves that weren't balanced properly.
The reason why there are no tourney's is mostly because variable cancel.

SaTsuJiN
lol I had never heard of variable cancel til now and then saw this video
http://www.swga-fr.com/video/rddk_yoshi.wmv
(at least I think thats VC)

I was also surprised to learn of "Soul Calibur 3 : Arcade Edition"
http://www.bandainamcogames.co.jp/aa/am/vg/soulcalibur3/
though of course we'll probably never see it on consoles

this looks like a fun fight.. dunno how good these people are though
wXl5hjNJHOg

what are the differences between the arcade and ps2 version?

Emperor Ashtar
Console version ruins the skill system since you can only inherit one special & one super. Arcade version allows you to inherit up to 7-8 skills at once.

AVHymgMi91s

This is a good fight from the arcade version

((The_Anomaly))
Despite the fact it was apporved by the creator of the series? BT2 only appeal is the buttload of content, the gameplay isn't anything that hasn't been done before. Comparing Super DragonBall Z to Budokai:Tenkaiichi 2 is an apples and orange argument.

Doesn't matter since all those additions are non-canon additions created by toei and not by toriyama. So, how does BT2 stay true to Dragon Ball when it doesn't even stay true to the source or is approved by the creator?

It features characters from GT, a series that Toriyama didn't even like.

-What relevance does the anime have when it's not the source material?
-The fights looks exactly like the manga, hell they even render the sound effects of the manga in the game
-Toriyama approves of it
-FYI, the anime doesn't look like the manga

There are 2 only fighters on that list that are good: Tekken and Smash Bros.

Your making no rational sense. How does staying true to the manga in terms of things that DON'T matter all that much like art style and character number make the game better? (though the art style is so close to the anime DBZ its amazing) The fact is that Super DBZ feels like a normal fighting game only with DBZ characters in it. BT2 feels like a DBZ fight, thats why its the best, it FEELS like the show/ manga in terms of what you can and cant so in the fights, Super DBZ does not. BT2 is the only DBZ game to (almost) fully capture how fights are in the DBZ manga, anime or otherwise. I dont know if you've seen/read the manga or not, but how they fight in Super DBZ isnt how they fight in the show. Hence, the MOST important aspect of the series, the fighting, isnt true to the series in Super DBZ, not even in the slightest.

Again I think your misunderstanding me. I'm not saying that Super DBZ is a horrible game, its a decent fighter, however its a lacking DBZ game, why? Because the fighting in it does not feel like DBZ, it feels like a regular fighter and unfortunately regular fighters are not in any way close to the fights in DBZ and thats where Super DBZ fails.

I dont play DBZ games to have them be a regular fighting game, I play them to have fights like they do in DBZ and theres a huge difference between the two. If i want a traditional fighter I'll play better traditional fighters like Tekken and Soul Caliber. But when I buy a DBZ game I buy it for DBZ fights, and Super DBZ feels nothing like them.

Emperor Ashtar
Your making no rational sense. How does staying true to the manga in terms of things that DON'T matter all that much like art style and character number make the game better?

When did I say it makes it better, your the one who keeps talking about games staying true to the DBZ spirit not me. The fact that DBZ follows the manga makes it more true to DBZ than the other games, that is what I said.

(though the art style is so close to the anime DBZ its amazing) The fact is that Super DBZ feels like a normal fighting game only with DBZ characters in it. BT2 feels like a DBZ fight, thats why its the best, it FEELS like the show/ manga in terms of what you can and cant so in the fights, Super DBZ does not.
Who cares if SDBZ doesn't capture all the content present in the DBZ anime?

It has:

-A better combat system than Tenkaichi
-Less buggy
-Balanced cast

And, is a fighting game while BT2 is not.

BT2 is the only DBZ game to (almost) fully capture how fights are in the DBZ manga, anime or otherwise. I dont know if you've seen/read the manga or not, but how they fight in Super DBZ isnt how they fight in the show. Hence, the MOST important aspect of the series, the fighting, isnt true to the series in Super DBZ, not even in the slightest.

How can it feel like the manga when it doesn't even strictly follow it's : look and content

Again I think your misunderstanding me. I'm not saying that Super DBZ is a horrible game, its a decent fighter, however its a lacking DBZ game, why? Because the fighting in it does not feel like DBZ, it feels like a regular fighter and unfortunately regular fighters are not in any way close to the fights in DBZ and thats where Super DBZ fails.

Who cares, there are so many DBZ games that try to capture how DBZ "Feels" ( Whatever the hell that means). So, why would we need one more?

I dont play DBZ games to have them be a regular fighting game, I play them to have fights like they do in DBZ and theres a huge difference between the two. If i want a traditional fighter I'll play better traditional fighters like Tekken and Soul Caliber. But when I buy a DBZ game I buy it for DBZ fights, and Super DBZ feels nothing like them.
I think it's kinda of close minded to not play a DBZ game because it's a traditional fighter, but whatever.

((The_Anomaly))
My god man, you hear and understand nothing I say. Go read like every review of Super DBZ ever done. Coincidently they say the exact same as I do.

Kazenji
Whats wrong with SC 3 ?

Yea Soul Caliber 3 kicksass

Does it really matter if or if not the moves are balanced.......since its a good game.

Kazenji
Don't know what your on about Soul Caliber not having a tournament they all don't have one including soul Blade.

Emperor Ashtar
My god man, you hear and understand nothing I say. Go read like every review of Super DBZ ever done. Coincidently they say the exact same as I do. The reviews are generally good, and they say the same thing I've been on about since I responded to you. If your a DBZ enthusiast then this game my not be for you, but if you like Traditional 2-d fighters pick this one up.

((The_Anomaly))
The reviews are generally good, and they say the same thing I've been on about since I responded to you. If your a DBZ enthusiast then this game my not be for you, but if you like Traditional 2-d fighters pick this one up.

Really? Cause it sounds like they said the exact same thing that I said, almost literally. Oddly enough I didn't actually read any of these reviews before I first posted in this thread.

------------------------------------------
Gamespot:

- "The standing question about Super Dragon Ball Z is who, exactly, is it meant for? Though it conforms to a lot of traditional fighting game conventions, it's simply not deep or varied enough to really satisfy those that consider themselves hardcore fighting game fans. By conforming to these conventions, Super Dragon Ball Z loses a lot of the enthusiastic, over-the-top energy that has made the Budokai series such a fan favorite"

IGN.com:

- "Where Super Dragon Ball Z does make its mistake, however, is with its failure to "go all the way." Fast and tactical as the game may be, it doesn't feel as polished or as deep as other close-quarters fighters in the genre (frankly, there just aren't anywhere near the number of moves here compared to most in its category)."

- "Visually, the game is a bit of a disappointment as well. Because Super DBZ is based on the manga rather than the anime, its colors and animations are more subdued than what has been established in the typical Dragon Ball Z game. Also, since Craft & Meister's focus is close-up combat instead of theatrics, the over-the-top super moves are almost completely non-existent. Yes, there are elaborate ultra attacks to watch and exploit, but compared to the Budokai series, they're rather tame"

Gamespy:

- "The latest in the DBZ franchise feels like it's missing something that made its predecessors so likeable."

- "The biggest issue that I can find with the game so far is that it doesn't really feel like a DBZ game. Rather than having kinetic, epic battles where you can have your character perform fantastic combos that devastate both your opponent as well as the various environments, you're placed in limited maps with stale movesets that don't really capture the absurd grandeur from the series. Rather than having Vegeta's "Galick Gun" attack that pummels enemies with a barrage of energy blasts, what you wind up getting is a glorified fireball. Other titles have Goku's Super Kamehameha send opponents flying, while here, it only inflicts a bit of damage while looking like a fizzle rather than the WMD it's known to be. It's disappointing to see characters who have literally destroyed planets be so impotent and weak."
-------------------------------------------------

So what are they saying? They are saying that Super DBZ tries to be a traditional fighter, but its no where near the quality of other traditional fighters. And that because of that it does not feel like a DBZ game, as its missing all of the things that makes DBZ DBZ. So its a mediocre fighter and a less then mediocre DBZ game.

Wait...didnt someone already say something along those lines around here?

Emperor Ashtar
Really? Cause it sounds like they said the exact same thing that I said, almost literally. Oddly enough I didn't actually read any of these reviews before I first posted in this thread.

------------------------------------------
Gamespot:

- "The standing question about Super Dragon Ball Z is who, exactly, is it meant for? Though it conforms to a lot of traditional fighting game conventions, it's simply not deep or varied enough to really satisfy those that consider themselves hardcore fighting game fans. By conforming to these conventions, Super Dragon Ball Z loses a lot of the enthusiastic, over-the-top energy that has made the Budokai series such a fan favorite"

IGN.com:

- "Where Super Dragon Ball Z does make its mistake, however, is with its failure to "go all the way." Fast and tactical as the game may be, it doesn't feel as polished or as deep as other close-quarters fighters in the genre (frankly, there just aren't anywhere near the number of moves here compared to most in its category)."

- "Visually, the game is a bit of a disappointment as well. Because Super DBZ is based on the manga rather than the anime, its colors and animations are more subdued than what has been established in the typical Dragon Ball Z game. Also, since Craft & Meister's focus is close-up combat instead of theatrics, the over-the-top super moves are almost completely non-existent. Yes, there are elaborate ultra attacks to watch and exploit, but compared to the Budokai series, they're rather tame"

Gamespy:

- "The latest in the DBZ franchise feels like it's missing something that made its predecessors so likeable."

- "The biggest issue that I can find with the game so far is that it doesn't really feel like a DBZ game. Rather than having kinetic, epic battles where you can have your character perform fantastic combos that devastate both your opponent as well as the various environments, you're placed in limited maps with stale movesets that don't really capture the absurd grandeur from the series. Rather than having Vegeta's "Galick Gun" attack that pummels enemies with a barrage of energy blasts, what you wind up getting is a glorified fireball. Other titles have Goku's Super Kamehameha send opponents flying, while here, it only inflicts a bit of damage while looking like a fizzle rather than the WMD it's known to be. It's disappointing to see characters who have literally destroyed planets be so impotent and weak."
-------------------------------------------------

So what are they saying? They are saying that Super DBZ tries to be a traditional fighter, but its no where near the quality of other traditional fighters. And that because of that it does not feel like a DBZ game, as its missing all of the things that makes DBZ DBZ. So its a mediocre fighter and a less then mediocre DBZ game.

Wait...didnt someone already say something along those lines around here?
So, do you think by nitpicking some reviews validates your point? I can get a review from gamefaqs that praises SDBZ, but I won't because it pointless. Bottomline is comparing BT2 to SDBZ is like comparing apples to oranges, and I don't see the point of discuss this with someone who doesn't know the first thing about fighting games. The fact that you even consider games like Soul Calibur 3 to be legit fighter is proof of this.

Emperor Ashtar

Does it really matter if or if not the moves are balanced.......since its a good game.
What exactly makes it a good game besides the fact that you like it?

Kazenji
What exactly makes it a good game besides the fact that you like it?

-Create your own fighters
-A good storyline for the single player mode
-A good selection of fighters to choose from

And its Soul Caliber nuff said.

Emperor Ashtar
-Create your own fighters
-A good storyline for the single player mode
-A good selection of fighters to choose from

And its Soul Caliber nuff said.
None of thse things make a good fighter, Even though I love the series part three sucks.

But if you enjoy it, whatever.

King Kandy
IT's not the best fighter. But It's better then Super DBZ.

Kazenji
None of thse things make a good fighter, Even though I love the series part three sucks.

Coming from someone who like this piece of a shit game called Super DBZ

and how does soul caliber 3 suck ?

damn straight there !!

((The_Anomaly))
Originally posted by King Kandy
IT's not the best fighter. But It's better then Super DBZ.

Obviously.

SaTsuJiN
how does soul caliber 3 suck ?

variable cancel exploit.. I posted it on page 2

Soul Cal 2 was far more polished than 3, which feels more like a romp through a "soul calibur" in beta phase than anything

Emperor Ashtar
Don't waste your time posting, anyone who thinks SC3 is a good fighting game doesn't know diddly squat about fighitng games.

Emperor Ashtar
rvDoky45SKg

Another descent Vid

grey fox
Don't waste your time posting, anyone who thinks SC3 is a good fighting game doesn't know diddly squat about fighitng games.

You sir fail at life , your mere arrogance and idiocy is amazing.

Kazenji

Soul Cal 2 was far more polished than 3, which feels more like a romp through a "soul calibur" in beta phase than anything

I've never noticed a thing with SC3. SC3 looks like SC2 but with better graphics and more things to do thats about it to me......so next topic.

And you sir shut up and go back to your shitty game called super DBZ

Emperor Ashtar
You sir fail at life , your mere arrogance and idiocy is amazing.
And, your pure ignorance is astounding play better fighting games.

And you sir shut up and go back to your shitty game called super DBZ

Than why are you in this thread, You fail.

EDIT: No, point in wasting time talking to a bunch of tards who are only butt horny for shallow Gameplay and Graphic whores.

grey fox
And, your pure ignorance is astounding play better fighting games.

I do play better fighting games. I play THE fighting game. The most customisable fighting game ever created.

I play Mugen b*tch

Now get back to whining about how your shitty , badly rendered and wholly unimaginative game is apparently 'better' then FAR FAR FAAAAAAAR Superior games overall.

Emperor Ashtar
I do play better fighting games. I play THE fighting game. The most customisable fighting game ever created.

I play Mugen b*tch

hysterical

Most of which are broken beyond belief, Christ. I dunno how many: Everything Vs Everything, Dragon Ball Z Vs Whatever. . . games are there. Not to mention extremely broken characters such as: Omega Tom Hanks, Killer Whale, Broli in whatever form,etc...

Yeah, go back to making mugen games, because you have no place talking about real fighters after making that comment, Scrub.

Now get back to whining about how your shitty , badly rendered and wholly unimaginative game is apparently 'better' then FAR FAR FAAAAAAAR Superior games overall.

Yeah, because we all know that how a game looks is inherently more important than how it plays. Soul Caliber 3 is broken, the game is banned from tourney's almost everywhere.

grey fox

Most of which are broken beyond belief, Christ. I dunno how many: Everything Vs Everything, Dragon Ball Z Vs Whatever. . . games are there. Not to mention extremely broken characters such as: Omega Tom Hanks, Killer Whale, Broli in whatever form,etc...

Yeah, go back to making mugen games, because you have no place talking about real fighters after making that comment, Scrub.

Yeah, because we all know that how a game looks is inherently more important than how it plays. Soul Caliber 3 is broken, the game is banned from tourney's almost everywhere.

Balance is boring , broken characters could be considered a guy unbalanced by being slightly faster then the norm. Go back to your boring clone characters fanboy.

Emperor Ashtar
Balance is boring

Expected nothing less from modern gamers.

, broken characters could be considered a guy unbalanced by being slightly faster then the norm
Wrong, a broken character is one that has an option that is: easy to abuse, hard to counter, and almost always guarantee's victory.

. Go back to your boring clone characters fanboy.

Go back to your brain dead fighters, scrub.

King Kandy
Don't waste your time posting, anyone who thinks Super DragonBall Z is a good fighting game doesn't know diddly squat about fighitng games.
Damn Straight!

Kazenji

EDIT: No, point in wasting time talking to a bunch of tards who are only butt horny for shallow Gameplay and Graphic whores.

I only play soul caliber 3 for the graphics thats news to me roll eyes (sarcastic).

this coming from someone that says Super DBZ is just as fan ****ing tasic as GOW

Emperor Ashtar
I only play soul caliber 3 for the graphics thats news to me roll eyes (sarcastic).
Then go post about it on the Soul Calibur 3 thread.

this coming from someone that says Super DBZ is just as fan ****ing tasic as GOW
Versus a gamer who plays for graphics?

Emperor Ashtar
bump

Remulous Dohma
I just have to say. The Tenkaichi and Budoukai sucks.

Tenkaichi: the whole camera view is what screwed it up for me. Not to mention that if your playing against another human, that whole running thing really starts to piss me off. And there was no real strategy, you could button mash the whole way through and get the same results as if you truly tried to play with skills.

Budouki: It's basically the same as Tenkaichi except for the camera angle was better, IMO. And the whole balance between characters sucked. Like if you have an early DBZ character VS a new one, it's extremely hard to win. And all the characters can use the same moves. The only Budouki that is good is 3.

SDBZ:The great thing is that the graphics are the best yet and each characters actually has a different fighting style and really good combos, the characters in the other dbz games are basically the same but there attacks look different. It has Best DBZ cell shaded graphics. Its got Rare and weird dragonball characters. The characters are actually different!!! Nice feel. Lets not forget about the good multiplayer. It's 1980s arcade and manga style and more traditional fighting game mechanics makes this DBZ the closest thing to an actual fighting game. Fighting games are my favorite genre and and when a DBZ game can get close to that. . .it's like Madden. . . "It's good"!

Emperor Ashtar
Originally posted by Remulous Dohma
I just have to say. The Tenkaichi and Budoukai sucks.

Your my best friend from now on.

SaTsuJiN
all 3 budoukais sucked.. from a series thats known to have had tidal waves of crappy games... tenkaichi 2 has redeemed my opinion of what is possible from trying something unconventional

granted its not balanced, but from a company that hasn't been known to make 'fighting game of the year' software, I give them much respect

so I agree budoukai sucked.. but not tenkai2.. its probably the deepest non-traditional fighter that the license has ever seen, bar none

Emperor Ashtar
What exactly is so deep about tenkaichi 2?

SaTsuJiN
In my opinion, its due to the amount of options you have..

i.e. if someone dashes at you with a rush move (which results in a cut scene attack), and you're either freeza or piccolo.. you can use the kaikosen type blast 1 move, which stuns them as they rush up to you, which frees them up for a combo or a grab

(the blast 1's have quite a range of effects.. some stun the enemy if they close in...some give you MAX power after the animation completes, some will teleport you behind your opponent, or leave afterimages when they strike you, some (namely solar flare) break enemy lock-on for a short period of time, and some just simply raise your attack power and speed slightly)

or you can rush back at them which, upon collision, activates a cutscene where you gotta rotate the analogues rapidly.. person with the higher amount of strikes sends the other person flying back

I've also seen people teleport out of it, use a character special move (which is hard because the rush moves are guide-able with the controller to allow avoidance) and then the most risky, punch em with correct timing and you may knock them out of it... theres also a deep-block.. but if you block a rush with that you get stunned and the rusher gets sent flying backwards.. rapidly pressing circle will get rid of your stun.

the combos aren't bad either.. you can teleport around your enemy in the middle of a string.. or if you go to do a heavy strike, he may teleport out of the way. you can step in underneath your opponents strikes.. or force your character to take a hit to strike back (some chars grab, some chars just lean back to avoid the hit rather than strike back).. or you can stop yourself in the middle of a string and grab to psyche em out...kick em up in the air and dash after them for a chain of heavy hits (which can be teleported out of by the enemy with the correct timing)

I'm all about the options.. if I see a fighter and you dont have many choices for a given situation, I usually become disappointed..

but I suppose it comes down to what your viewpoint of depth is as well....

and I said 'deep for a non-traditional fighter'.. I'm not comparing it to ChoDBZ, cuz like you said.. apples and oranges

Ridley_Prime
Originally posted by Estacado
I have the game but it's meh.It's nowhere near budokai 3 or tenkaichi there are only few characters the effects and explosions are pretty "lame" and the fighting system is pretty bad.

That's the impression I got just by looking at the pictures on the back side of the box/case for the game -_-, as much as I like DBZ...

King Nothing
All Dragon Ball games suck, SDBZ is ok and the only one being worth calling a game is Legacy of Goku.

Ridley_Prime
Originally posted by King Nothing
All Dragon Ball games suck, SDBZ is ok and the only one being worth calling a game is Legacy of Goku.

First you say all DB games suck, and then you say SDBZ is "ok". That's a contradiction if I ever saw one. laughing out loud

As for the Legacy of Goku, I hardly see how that old game compares to DBZ: BT 2.

Emperor Ashtar
Originally posted by King Nothing

Well said

Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
First you say all DB games suck, and then you say SDBZ is "ok". That's a contradiction if I ever saw one. laughing out loud

Hey, if you wanna play a fighting game that's all about theatrics, and pretty much plays it's self then BT2 is perfect for you. As for people that actually want a good fighting game and it's a DBZ game, Pick up SDBZ.

In my opinion, its due to the amount of options you have..

More options don't really make a game deep, it's being able to use the options you have in various ways that does.

SaTsuJiN
More options don't really make a game deep, it's being able to use the options you have in various ways that does.

could you describe that a bit more?... like if you could change tenkaichi 2 to suit your definition of depth.. what would you add / replace / etc?

as for it playing itself.. I think that could even apply to when supermoves / finishing moves are used in any fighting game.. when the super / finisher is active you just sit back and watch til it finishes.. the timespan for this is much less for regular specials, obviously.. everyone falls victim to waiting on animations in one way or the other

if it refers to skill, you can clearly tell who is a noob and who isnt in tenkai2

Ridley_Prime
Hey, if you wanna play a fighting game that's all about theatrics, and pretty much plays it's self then BT2 is perfect for you. As for people that actually want a good fighting game and it's a DBZ game, Pick up SDBZ.
Heh. Don't get me wrong. I agree about BT2's superiority to SDBZ and all. I just found the way he/she said it to be rather awkward in a way. >.>

Emperor Ashtar
could you describe that a bit more?... like if you could change tenkaichi 2 to suit your definition of depth.. what would you add / replace / etc?

Well, I wouldn't really want Tenkaichi to become the way I play fighters, but since this is a hypotheitcal situation I would:

-Reduce the cast
-Change the camera angle
-Get rid os the Ki gauge
-Use archetypes like Street Fighter

if it refers to skill, you can clearly tell who is a noob and who isnt in tenkai2

The game looks to much like a braindead fighter. The only really reason I hear people play this game is for flashy moves, and a huge cast that's it. Based of that I cannot really sum up a positive image of the game.

SaTsuJiN
bYCaxLCICYE

lol some super dbz theatrics... and with bad english dubbing o.o

though I always have a softspot hearing freeza calling people worthless trash <3

Emperor Ashtar
bYCaxLCICYE

though I always have a softspot hearing freeza calling people worthless trash <3

That's the console version which I've always contested sucks donkey balls.

Emperor Ashtar
EfV5WFsuY4w

SaTsuJiN
Ugh.. naruto ultimate ninja 2 was a decent fix.. but the characters are unbalanced.. /sigh

is this game 20 dollars?... if so I'm definitely taking my arse up to the nearest EB laughing out loud

Edit : http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=939394 doh!.. its used!... blasphemy.... maybe a toys r us bargain bin or bestbuy can sate my hunger for fighters @_@

grey fox
The one thing I do like about SuperDBZ are it's graphics , especially the cheesy 'ZWAAANG' sound effects and motion lines, those are bitchin' cool

Emperor Ashtar
Ugh.. naruto ultimate ninja 2 was a decent fix.. but the characters are unbalanced.. /sigh

is this game 20 dollars?... if so I'm definitely taking my arse up to the nearest EB laughing out loud

Edit : http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=939394 doh!.. its used!... blasphemy.... maybe a toys r us bargain bin or bestbuy can sate my hunger for fighters @_@

This game should definetly be 20 bucks or less.

Xenogears
bYCaxLCICYE

though I always have a softspot hearing freeza calling people worthless trash <3 LMFAO
EfV5WFsuY4w Looks like fun.

Emperor Ashtar
Gat4AxlFIeQ

SaTsuJiN
got this game in the mail today.. wewt..

I dont know how to do that tactic people use when you jump over someone and then turn around in mid air and kick them in the head as a lead-in strike for a combo

also.. are there any supers that are superior to super-kamehameha?
was thinking of gettin rid of it

and are there any "mistakes" one can make when making a custom character?... (things that shouldn't be gotten, etc)

SmashBro
I like Super DragonBall Z WAY better than the Budokai games. I like how it's more Street Fighter oriented and thus give the characters something unique. They should make a sequel.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.