Story vs art

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

TheEvilHex
I notic some times when reading comics. if the art just sux balls i cant make it threw the comic and i just wanted to know what you guys thought was more important to comis story or the art?artist

TheEvilHex
Originally posted by TheEvilHex
I notic some times when reading comics. if the art just sux balls i cant make it threw the comic and i just wanted to know what you guys thought was more important to comics story or the art?artist

TheEvilHex
oooops lol.

MERCILOUS
well with the level of commentators that i've seen on right now, chances are you're not going to get a very good answer, present company excluded. but seriously, you might as well have asked the chicken or the egg question.

my most valuable and educated guess is come for the art, stay for the story.

which is more valuable? impossible to answer, by definition a comic is the marriage of words and picture. and while there have been a few exceptions that prove the rule (being entirely art) those books while very good, don't hold a candle to best worded books.

don't shiv
story

the story dictates the imagery.
the art and words and sound effects tell the story

there are some books I read again and again if storytelling is sensational.

Great art and no story= perfect body, mind in a persistent vegetative state.

Great story and no art = Borat Hilarious! who cares whether he's buff or not?

MERCILOUS
i shake my head in confusion at you, and i will do it a second time. a book with no art is not a comic book, the question was about comic books.

don't shiv
Grant Morrisson Batman 663 99% lettering

That issue was a book with a few pictures .... if you could find them...... in between smashing furniture & tearing your hear out

MERCILOUS
I probably could and feel inclined not to beleive you. there's no way in hell they'd let someone put out a book that's 99% lettering in a mainstream comic.

Symmetric Chaos
If the art is horrid I just can't get into the story. However I can get over a mediocre storyline if the art is nice.

I suppose I'm rather shallow but thats just always been what happens for me. Most of the time I look for things that have a good balance between looking nice and having an interesting story.

don't shiv
Originally posted by MERCILOUS
I probably could and feel inclined not to beleive you. there's no way in hell they'd let someone put out a book that's 99% lettering in a mainstream comic.

Morrisson jumped onto Batman back in issue 655 his arc b' & son concluded in 658 his second arc never materialised in 659 Morrisson went awol new writer jumped on board and delivered the Grotesk storyline. Grotesk arc concluded 662

663 Because the readers rioted over the vanishing Morrisson Joker arc D.C. asked Morrisson sweetly for his 4 issue script.
Morrisson mailed it

D.C Put it to paper.

99% paragraphs

endrict
A serious reader is in it for the story then prefers the art second.

A person like me that reads abit and buys comics every few weeks prefers the art first and story second. However this tends to be a bad combo because you get shit like Jim lee art and some stupid fanbase writer who puts Wolverine vs the Silver Surfer.

Wonder Man
art. When i started reading comics at five before i could read i just used to look at the stories.

Galan007
Originally posted by TheEvilHex
I notic some times when reading comics. if the art just sux balls i cant make it threw the comic and i just wanted to know what you guys thought was more important to comis story or the art?artist As long as the art isn't horrible (eg. looks like a 5 y/o drew the pictures), I can get into almost any story.... IF it's written well.

Take Secret Wars I for instance,

The art isn't much to talk about, but the story makes it one of the best ever written.

The same can be said about the Great Darkness Saga, and so on....

Soljer
Well, on one hand, the story is a class one hundred brick with unparalleled fighting skills.

Art, though, has an insane healing factor, and Art's repulsor rays have taken out high level bricks before.

The speed difference between them is nothing to note, and I'd say story is a bit smarter....

Story, 7/10.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.