ROTS looses to spiderman 3 by a huge margin????

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

darthmaul1
anyone else irritated with the exaggerated weekend box office reports?
Spiderman 3, everyone is say it blew away the previous records???
You can't compare apples and oranges. spider man 3 was in about 600 more theaters than the first spider man or revenge of the sith and that is why it appears to have made so much more. in reallity it only made about 3.5million more than
star wars.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/weekends/

General G
Only 3.5 million? I do realise that that is not very much in movie termsm but still.

Yeah, that is a bit annoying, I heard those results as well.

I did see Spiderman 3 and I was pretty impressed though.

Tangible God
Spiderman 3 was alright, not as good as 1 or 2 though.

It just goes to show the general public loves the Wall-crawler more than the Force. I'm not surprised. There was a lot of hype.

exanda kane
Box office results mean little and all very trivial now considering inflation and other factors. Yet to see Spiderman 3 but I have a feeling it'll simply be mediocre, in keeping with previous efforts.

General G
Originally posted by Tangible God

It just goes to show the general public loves the Wall-crawler more than the Force. I'm not surprised. There was a lot of hype.

I didn't like 2 as much as 3 to be honest.

Alliance

You have to remember that Lucas "disappointed" with two previous movies.

and btw...WHO CARES? I don't trust the public to choose good movies.

Tangible God
In time, I think ROTS, no matter how shitty it was compared to the OT, will still be viewed as more of a classic than Spiderman 3. Maybe even Spiderman 1. But probably only because of the Star Wars tag.

ADarksideJedi
That is horrible.That movie suck!Star wars should had beaten that movie no questions ask@!jm

Kardinal
I think the "problem" is that Spiderman may have had more older fans that are fans of the comic books that went to see the movie first weekend, while the Star Wars audience was for the most part younger with the exception of those who saw the original trilogy in theaters.

I loved Episode III way more than Spiderman 3, but to be fair to it, the Per Theater Averages were much higher for Spiderman 3 as well so even without the extra 600 theaters, Spiderman 3 would have beat Episode III by about $21 million (not counting the 2 year inflation). With the 2 year inflation, like $18 million.

http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/weekends/theateravg.htm?page=THTRAWOPN&p=.htm

queeq
So SPiderman wins this year. Although, I wonder what Pirates'll do.

overlord
I sat in the theatre with just 6 people. LOLz!

vintageSW77
I went to see it saturday and it was packed
thing is with the Spiderman flicks is they are a bit samey and again the CGI was too showy when they should have concentrated on getting cgi Spidey to look realistic

bums on seats dont mean nothing when ARE WE DONE YET makes more money than GRINDHOUSE

queeq
laughing out loud

So how was Spidey? Haven't seen it yet...

ADarksideJedi
It sucked!jm

queeq
Really??? I feared as much. I always felt he might be trying to cramp too much into a movie.

Tangible God
It was decent enough, too many stories to follow, not enough time to do it. I felt Sandman was rather irrelevant.

queeq
Really??? That's a shame.

Alliance
Every series has an end. I heard this was the beginning of the end for Spiderman.

queeq
I heard they plan to make at least three more.

Count Makashi
Spiderman hero is great, but the movie(i only saw the 1 one), sucked horribly.

Mr Parker
Yeah it sure did it looked like it was written by someone with the ideas of a 5 year old.The second one was okay-had some really awesome special effects in it but this third one looks and sounds as horrible as the first one was.man that sucks that it beat Sith.

exanda kane
I think these first 3 Spiderman films will date very badly over the next few years, lots of product placement (which unlike Blade Runner/Minority Report won't transcend era's) plus a performace by Macy Gray (Yeah, who?). They aren't terrible films, but there just not that great either, purely mediocre.

I hope Pirates holds out at the box office.

General G
It was decent enough, too many stories to follow, not enough time to do it. I felt Sandman was rather irrelevant.

I agree, but one question I hope you can answer this, I will put a spoiler thing for queeq. stick out tongue

how come Harry Osborn does not die!? He got the crap kicked out of him by Spidey and then got a bomb exploding right in front of his face, he should have definately been dead.

Tangible God
Originally posted by General G
I agree, but one question I hope you can answer this, I will put a spoiler thing for queeq. stick out tongue

how come Harry Osborn does not die!? He got the crap kicked out of him by Spidey and then got a bomb exploding right in front of his face, he should have definately been dead. All that Goblin-Maker potion probably really helped out his body's tissue regeneration and muscle strength.

queeq
I don't mind spoilers. And the answer is simple: they plan to make three more Spidey movies.

exanda kane
Which is a damn shame.

roughrider
Whatever. Every year they up the amount of screens major films open on - 10,000 is an obscene number of screens for Spider Man 3 - and tickets prices often go up with them. The Studios are SO fixated with opening weekend results, they have put jobs on the line.
How a film does over the long haul is far more important. It's still more impressive that A NEW HOPE grosses over $500 million worldwide in 1970's dollars - on a mere budget of $11 million. And the fact George Lucas is virtually the only man in the American film industry who finances films with his own money - hundreds of millions of dollars - and can still get back several times that in profit.

Count Makashi
Yup, he is a cunning one and i mean, evil cunning.

queeq
laughing out loud

coolmovies
I dont know why you guys complain ESB made only 300b at the box office and still is the best sw film .

exanda kane
Exactly. ESB has more subtelty to it than the others, I feel.

General G
All that Goblin-Maker potion probably really helped out his body's tissue regeneration and muscle strength.

But that pumpkin bom right beside his face!!!

Originally posted by queeq
I don't mind spoilers. And the answer is simple: they plan to make three more Spidey movies.

but he dies at the end anyways That spoiler was for everyone else.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by exanda kane
Which is a damn shame.

yeah that sucks. mad

queeq
Exactly. ESB has more subtelty to it than the others, I feel.

Yaaaayyy...

exanda kane
Not that we talk about ESB being the best alot around here....

Btw Queeq, your keybboard must be smoking, that's about 15 topics you replied to roll eyes (sarcastic)

General G
Are you surprised?

chinabing
Did spidey3 count the 4-day weekend run or the 3 day weekend? Both opened on a Thursday I think.

queeq
Not that we talk about ESB being the best alot around here....

Btw Queeq, your keybboard must be smoking, that's about 15 topics you replied to roll eyes (sarcastic)

I have a whole team working on it.

General G
Originally posted by chinabing
Did spidey3 count the 4-day weekend run or the 3 day weekend? Both opened on a Thursday I think.

I am going to guess just the weekend.

I have a whole team working on it.

Wouldn't surprise me in the least, the way you post.

queeq
It's not easy, you know, being evil.

General G
Oh, I bet.

queeq
For how much?

Count Makashi
I raise 1 dollar.

General G
For how much?

How high are you willing to go?

queeq
You were doing the betting... I'm the board's bookie.

General G
There is always a limit though.

queeq
Not in here.

JaehSkywalker
*answers first post*

Spiderman 3 wasn't that great, but it was okay.
SPiderman and Star Wars was different. no one can compare the two things.

reason why spiderman was more successful here that SW was because not a lotta people know about Star Wars in here, but Spiderman was something kids and adults know because of the comics.. toys.. shirts.... i've only seen one sci fi store here in the entire 14 years i've been living in this country.

sometimes i hate it when they compare the gross incomes... but when i remembered how SW 4 is the second... well...

queeq
PLus a lot of women dig the Spidey movies more than SW.

exanda kane
It's the Mary Jane thing.

queeq
Exactly.

chinabing
I thought only guys digged her because she's, very, well, perky.

queeq
No, it's whole adolescence nerdy-boy-sweet-girl thing. It's about growing up, falling in love, bearing responsibility. Behind the cool mask, it's quite a chick flick. wink

General G
That's ok, I don't mind most movies, I like almost all of the ones I watched, even some chick flicks stick out tongue

The only movie I can actually say I didn't like was Alexander.

queeq
THat was a rather fancy looking disappointment, unfortunately.

General G
Yeah, it was, I could not follow it at all...

queeq
I did... but somehow it didn't really work. And it did feel messy at times.

General G
I couldn't even finish it, very first time for me with a movie.

queeq
Really?

General G
Yeah, I tried, I really did. I have been able to finish every other movie, I thought it would be better.

queeq
It looks nice.

Sith Master X
It beat ROTS but I wasn't really surprised, considering how awesome Spider-Man 2 was. The third was good, but I liked the first 2, especially the 2nd, much better. I think they could have dropped the Sandman to allow more focus on Venom, but oh well. I was still happy when I left the theater, as I was when I saw Episode III.

queeq
Ah...

exanda kane
My response for Spiderman 3 seems to differ from most of other peoples. But I enjoyed it, I took it for what it was and it worked well, if unfocused and meandering. Better than the last two Spiderman films in my book and certainly better than the first three quarters of Revenge of the Sith.

General G
I was a lot more excited when Star Wars 3 came out, and saw it openning weekend. For Spiderman 3, I had really nothing else to do, so I went to see it, and I was really impressed.

Sith Master X
I miss the excitment of waiting in line for new SW film. And to think, had the series kept going, we'd be down to our 1 year countdown. But hey, all good things must come to an end. Even though I hardly doubt ROTS is the last of the Star Wars films to be made. I don't think Lucas would make another one, but hell, 10 years down the road it wouldn't suprise me if someone else does. The idea of a series sounds cool, but a movie just holds so much more meaning to me.

Wind Sister
Haha, I actually find this funny. . .I'm refering to the first post, though XD

I saw SM3. . .it had some good parts. . .surrounded by some really stupid parts. . .all I have to say for it is:

THE SPECIAL EFFECTS RULED!

Venom looked totally awesome *fangirl moment*

Ok, I'm done. Anyway, as previously said by. . .someone else, when viewed as a classic, SW3 will rule out.

queeq
Oh?

Wind Sister
Oh?

Yup big grin

In time, I think ROTS, no matter how shitty it was compared to the OT, will still be viewed as more of a classic than Spiderman 3. Maybe even Spiderman 1. But probably only because of the Star Wars tag.

queeq
the SW tag? That would be sad.

JaehSkywalker
but it's probably true.

but kids would kinda like PT better, because of the action and stuff... maybe it hooked another generation.. idk..

overlord
RotS and Spiderman 3 are pretty comparable. Both have limited story and as much different battle scenes thrown in as possible. Filled up with a few sappy moments..

queeq
Many battles? That sounds like TPM.

JaehSkywalker
TPM or ROTS? or Aotc?

pretty much all are the same.

General G
They should have stuck Venom in a different movie, maybe a Spider-man 4? He should have had a bigger part.

exanda kane
They should have stuck Han Solo in his own movie. He could carry it with ease. But hey, ain't gonna happen.

Wait - what about Indiana Jones. Hmm

General G
Han Solo as the Star Wars character or Harrison ford?

~JP~
This really wont matter because as soon as POTC3 opens this weekend, it's going to blow past all of them. yes

Wind Sister
Originally posted by ~JP~
This really wont matter because as soon as POTC3 opens this weekend, it's going to blow past all of them. yes

Hella cool

Not exactly a bad thing, though. Not in my opinion, at least.

General G
Oh no doubt, I plan on seeing this openning weekend and probably more than once. The promotion it has had is prima.

queeq
Oh yeah, POTC time! Can't wait.

General G
Neither can I, it will be great.

queeq
Heard it's gonna be a big, visually stunning extravaganza with a sloppy storyline. Lots of great fun, I'm sure. Depp rules.

JaehSkywalker
for those people like me who haven't watch pirates yet, don't dare go into the pirates forums. ermm it's swarming with spoilers. no expression

i hate that. i haven't even watched it yet. no expression

General G
There's a Pirates forum here? Damn.

JaehSkywalker
Ah.. yeah.

queeq
Any movie has a forum here.... But SW has an entire section!

JaehSkywalker
and three forums in its section.. yay.. big grin

queeq
Oh yes.

General G
What about...The Terminator movies? Those were good.

queeq
They are old. And T1 wasd great, T2 pretty good, T3 so so.

chinabing
SW is older the terminator.

General G
It should still have its own forum.

queeq
Originally posted by chinabing
SW is older the terminator.

But better as a trilogy.

Count Makashi
T3 just sucked, its a disgrace to the, first 2 movies.

General G
It wasn't as good as the others, but I wouldn't go as fae as to say it sucked.

queeq
It wasn't great.

General G
But it also didn't suck.

yettoh
wonder if these movies will beat spider man 3 found these on AOL top 3 movies for year

harry potter 5
shrek 3
pirates of Caribbean at worlds end

((The_Anomaly))
Thats sad cause Spiderman 3 really wasn't that good.

General G
I liked it...

queeq
I heard bad things about Shrek 3.

Count Makashi
Well. Shrek 2 was already a bad movie.(cartoon).

queeq
It was still funny though.

yettoh
lol originals always the best normally

queeq
Sometimes the sequels doe well too.

yettoh
sometime but after the first sequel it goes downhill with a few exceptions

spider man 6! hes swinging around NY in a wheel chair!

Sith Master X
It's a rare case that the third movie is the best out of 3. Except, if we were looking at the prequels, than ROTS would be that rare case. In my opinion, it was best of the newer 3. But Spider-Man 3, I liked it, but liked the other 2 better. Same with Pirates, and Shrek.

General G
I liked Spider-man 1 the best, then 3, then 2. Number two just did nothing for me...

I liked Pirates in the same order but for different reasons.

yettoh
its bad where i live again we are the last to get films spider man 3 isn't in cinema yet only just reached adverts

Sith Master X
That's too bad. I'd be going crazy if I had to wait this long for Spider-Man.

General G
No kidding, even more crazy if I had to wait to see the new Pirates.

queeq
THey came out here same time as in US. I just lack time to go.

General G
Definately worth seeing, make time. wink

queeq
I will. Prolly Pirates next weekend.

General G
Good, that was better than Spider-man.

queeq
Spiderman sometime after that... if my clients will finally pay up for the work I did for them. mad

General G
laughing out loud

queeq
You laugh... I don't.

General G
I am sure you can find a way to make them pay.

queeq
I need to work for them more... so.... you know.... sensitive.

General G
But people like other people with a backbone.

queeq
They will pay... it just takes so long. Almost two months.

General G
Wow! Why so long?

Sith Master X
See I kind of thought Spider-Man was a bit better than Pirates. Pirates ran a tad bit too long for my liking. erm

queeq
Originally posted by General G
Wow! Why so long?

Bureaucrats.

General G
Of course.

queeq
What else?

General G
Democrats?

queeq
None here.

General G
Good.

queeq
I know.

General G
Dodged a bullet there.

queeq
Time to close.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.