we really need a versus anything forum

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

fanboy 1988
I recently posted a thread like this on the star wars vs forum and it got closed for some unknown reason.. it pissed me off a little so I thought I'd make another one here

we need a versus anything thread for video game, movie, comic, or star wars related characters.....

your not allowed to post star wars stuff in the comic book versus forum, you can't have comic characters vs video game characters in the video game vs forum, and you can't have anything but star wars shit in the star wars vs forum...

It'd be cool to have a forum were we can compare all these characters to each other, and for the people that say it's impossible to compare someone form lets say Star Wars to someone from LOTR cause there from different universe's. Take a look at the comic book versus forum, people compare characters from different universe's there all the time, Superman vs Thor, Lobo vs Gladiator, Batman vs Captain America.. It's done all the time in a way that makes sense to.

General G
Yeah, that would be pretty cool, although you should be able to include Star Wars characters in the comic book vs. forum, they have quite a few comics out, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Barker
We shouldn't even have any versus forums to begin with.

Let the bitching and arguing begin. smile

Lana
Originally posted by General G
Yeah, that would be pretty cool, although you should be able to include Star Wars characters in the comic book vs. forum, they have quite a few comics out, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Being as all of the versus forums have rules in place that state that something that's in that forum must originate in that format, no, SW should not be allowed in CBVS.

Schecter
versus forums should be deleted. nothing good comes from them.

BakaXero
I dislike vs forums in general no expression

fanboy 1988
^ I love them if people have good unbiased reasons behind there claims ...

Schecter
an impossibility imho

Quinlan-Vos
Originally posted by BakaXero
I dislike vs forums in general no expression Agreed.

Trickster

Surely it would be a good idea, then, to just have one into which they are all compiled?

Vinny Valentine
Originally posted by Barker

Let the bitching and arguing begin. smile

Spidervlad
Versus forums are stupid. Most of the charachters you compare, you don't even know anything about them, and people try to twist and twirl crap in order to win a debate.

But atleast it's somewhere where people in KMC can go to debate.

However, I love watching people dissing each other in VS Forums.

mr.smiley
my post from the stars wars versus forum

"Yes I agree.We need at least one forum for like a random versus forum.Their may be different universes,but if that's the main reason why we can't cross them in this forum,why are we allowed to do so then in the comic book versus forum?We can put Marvel U vs DC universe,yet we cannot cross these with the Star wars universe in either forum.Who in the hell is trying to protect Star Wars?If it's going to be that way,we may as well have a seperate forum for DC versus and marvel Versus.Not to mention all the other characters who don't even belong to Marvel or DC."

As stated before,Star Wars has comic books as well.Game such as metal gear have gotten the comic treatment too.I don't see it being a problem.As long as it makes for good debating,which it does.
I remember my Solid Snake vs Wolverine thread.That was awesome.
One could argue that DC and marvel have had cross overs in the past and that's why they can have their characters fight eachother.However,these fights aren't even considered to be cannon,so the events that take place in these books are for debate.
Let me give a good example as to why the way the VS forums work now is seriously flawed.

In the video game versus forum you can only put two characters against eachother who originated in a video game.No comic book characters allowed.So in other words I can put Crash Bandicoot against Solid Snake or any Metal gear character for that matter.I can even put Spyro the Dragon against the Chaser from Resident Evil.Yet I can't put Snake against wolverine,or something like the Predator against the chaser.Seems like their isn't much of a balance of power of their anyway.So we can already make an endless amount of matches that would really make no sense.That being said,what would be the big deal about a random versus forum?

JaehSkywalker
Originally posted by Spidervlad
Versus forums are stupid. Most of the charachters you compare, you don't even know anything about them, and people try to twist and twirl crap in order to win a debate.

But atleast it's somewhere where people in KMC can go to debate.

However, I love watching people dissing each other in VS Forums.

somehow, that admittedly kinda sounds like the religion forums. erm that's why i always try to avoid it as much as possible.

---

anyways, agreed with bakaxero.

doan_m
I'm in favor for a versus debates forum which covers pretty much anything. Mainly because we already have a whole load of them here anyways, yet all those different genres are not allowed to merge. Now a few of you have said that all you get out of versus forums is "bitching and complaining". Yet "bitching and complaining" come wholesale in the general discussion forum where politics, religion and world issues are discussed with a rather "fiery passion" I might add. If such a manner of behavior can be tolerated then surely a versus forum for everything can be tolerated as well.

~JP~
Originally posted by Barker

Agreed. Dumbest damn things Ive ever seen in my life. no expression

Captain REX
More or less, the moderators are inclined to disagree.

If you don't like my thread closing decisions, well, you can thank the idiots who have proven time and again that a Versus Anything forum would fail.

"Master Chief doesn't exist in Star Wars, so Yoda can't use the Force on him!"

Oi. That'd be a nightmare.

But if you're going to complain about my moderator decisions and say it's my fault, then I think you're going to find that I hate the Vs. forums about as much as anybody, and you won't get a very friendly response. doped

mr.smiley
Originally posted by doan_m
I'm in favor for a versus debates forum which covers pretty much anything. Mainly because we already have a whole load of them here anyways, yet all those different genres are not allowed to merge. Now a few of you have said that all you get out of versus forums is "bitching and complaining". Yet "bitching and complaining" come wholesale in the general discussion forum where politics, religion and world issues are discussed with a rather "fiery passion" I might add. If such a manner of behavior can be tolerated then surely a versus forum for everything can be tolerated as well.

Your correct.I don't see how mods could find a verse forum such a headache with some of the other crap floating around here.Like I said before,universes are crossed anyways in these forums.Narrowing it down to game characters or comic characters makes little difference.

mr.smiley
Originally posted by Captain REX
More or less, the moderators are inclined to disagree.

If you don't like my thread closing decisions, well, you can thank the idiots who have proven time and again that a Versus Anything forum would fail.

"Master Chief doesn't exist in Star Wars, so Yoda can't use the Force on him!"

Oi. That'd be a nightmare.

But if you're going to complain about my moderator decisions and say it's my fault, then I think you're going to find that I hate the Vs. forums about as much as anybody, and you won't get a very friendly response. doped

I find that funny considering the comic book versus is probably the most active forum on this website.That forum alone outdoes the majority,if not all the forums on this website in terms of activity.If your talking soley about mods hating the VS forums,I understand.But if your talking about everyone as a whole I would find that a little inaccurate.

Lana
Comic Book versus is not the most active forum on here at all. That would be the OTF.

fanboy 1988
Hand out warnings for spamming then..But according to your logic it's impossible to compare two characters from different universes. Which just isn't true... Read my first post

Nobody likes the comic book vs forum Right roll eyes (sarcastic) ..............Then why is there a new post there just about every minute, it's one of the most active forums on this site...

Exactly, people single out the vs forums and say there nothing but a huge spam fest, take a look at the OT forum, or the general discussion forum, it's littered with nuthuggers that don't debate but argue and spam.. I'm not saying this shit doesn't happen in the versus forum sometimes, but it's not the only place, and it's certainly not the worst one off

Barker
The Vs. forums are more trouble than they're worth, that's what.

BakaXero
Originally posted by fanboy 1988
Hand out warnings for spamming then..But according to your logic it's impossible to compare two characters from different universes. Which just isn't true... Read my first post

Nobody likes the comic book vs forum Right roll eyes (sarcastic) ..............Then why is there a new post there just about every minute, it's one of the most active forums on this site...

Exactly, people single out the vs forums and say there nothing but a huge spam fest, take a look at the OT forum, or the general discussion forum, it's littered with nuthuggers that don't debate but argue and spam.. I'm not saying this shit doesn't happen in the versus forum sometimes, but it's not the only place, and it's certainly not the worst one off
As much as i love the genres seperately, I find the idea of comparing their abilities a bit pointless. The characters were designed with each their own strength and weaknesses. The purpose of that is to make the characters interesting. This allows for dramatic and interesting plots. Comparing different characters is stupid because what your basically doing is saying on author/creator is shitter then another because their characters are not good enough against the other. I could make the world's strongest character and the world's shittest plot, but who would read or watch my material? NO ONE! because it'd be pointless cause the story would lack depth and story, which would make an all round peice of shit.
you say the GDF and the OTF is filled with crap, you may be half right about the OTF, but there there stuff people debate there at least involves more intellect, well not so much for the OTF, but I find their arguments less pointless.

Quick question. How many of the characters in the comic vs forum are compared with similar abilities, rank or status?

Considering that the comic book forum has a small post to thread ratio. I highly doubt that half the threads are intelectual or reasonable match-ups. Why the hell is the Karate kid and Chuck Norris in there?

Captain REX

Oh, let's just start rolling our eyes at the guy who knows this all better than you. Okay, go for it.

Nobody intellectual likes the Vs. forums. Not just the Comic Book Vs., but all of them. They're more trouble than they're worth.

I can't just hand out warnings left and right for people saying something silly, because that would be ridiculous. I'd quickly become the most hated person on KMC, because the smart people are outnumbered by the not-so-smart.

The OTF is made for it, so comparing a Vs. forum to the OTF is hardly a good example. Versus forums are meant for debating, but that rarely happens. It always resorts to bashing and is all together quite boring for me to go in, tell people to knock it off, and go.

Schecter
versus forums are like the special olympics. everybody wins!

http://thebestaround.ytmnd.com/

Mišt
for the people that say it's impossible to compare someone form lets say Star Wars to someone from LOTR cause there from different universe's. Take a look at the comic book versus forum, people compare characters from different universe's there all the time, Superman vs Thor, Lobo vs Gladiator, Batman vs Captain America.. It's done all the time in a way that makes sense to.

How would you compare Luke Skywalker to Aragorn, honestly? ermm Or Mario to the Hulk? The only way the vs forums even function properly is because each one is bound to set rules, Star Wars threads are bound to Star Wars rules, Comic threads are bound to comics rules, you start mixing them up and you have rules going everywhere, eg Master Chief vs Yoda, Yoda is at a supreme advantage seeing as he has the force and a lightsaber, either you give Master Chief the force to make it remotely even, or remove Yoda's force use, but you've interferred with the whole balance then. erm

mr.smiley

mr.smiley
Originally posted by Lana
Comic Book versus is not the most active forum on here at all. That would be the OTF.

That depends on the time of day.Both are close in activity.As of right now the OTF has 11 viewers and the comic vs forum has 9.Not that big of a difference.Like I said it's proabably more active than the majority if not all.

Captain REX
I guess we should just get rid of the VG Vs., on that logic. doped

Lana
I wouldn't complain...

HumanMovieGuide
I agree 100% we should have a versus forum that involves TV/movie/video game/comic book related characters. Now the general complaint I see of why that can't happen around here are:

1. You can't compare the two

2. I hate vs threads

Will I'll show how you can solve the first problem. A cross match up might be hard to decide the winner if given the names alone. But if guidelines are given about the fight, it makes it much more easier to decide. Here are few examples:

Master Chief vs Yoda (our moderator friend's match up). The galaxy in which the Halo events and the galaxy in which the Star Wars events occur are in the same universe. So the force exist here as well as wookies, brutes and everything else featured in those two franchises. Master Chief can do everything he displayed in the games. Yoda can do everything he displayed in the movies.

Goku vs Mario. Fight takes place in the DBZ universe. Anyone who knows about the DBZ universe would know that ANYTHING in it can learn how to fly and shoot fireballs (which Mario already knows how to do). Whether it's an alien, human, or deer as long as they're skill enough and powerful enough. Mario has his abilities to become various battle modes via item absorbtion (leaf, feather, flower, metel box, etc) and his point bar gives you an idea how powerful he is. Fight takes place after Mario amps up his point bar by killing Frieza, Cell, and Buu.

Bart Simpson vs Ryu. Ryu at his power peak (Marvel vs Capcom would probably be this) against Bart Simpson. Bart can alter his self into his various forms he displayed in the shows and games (Bart the wizard, Stretch Dude, both the Batman and Superman versions of Bartman, etc) Superman Bartman mostly exist in the games, alot of them in the NES, SNES consoles. So looking at how powerful the Street Fighter characters became from Street Fighter for the SNES to MvsC, use that same power upgrades on NES, SNES Bartman.

And since how there are people who probably knows these characters and universes alot better than I do, shouldn't be "impossible" to decide an outcome. There was another site where there was a Goku vs Superman vs Chuck Norris vs Jesus vs Bruce Lee vs Mr. Rogers thread. And believe it or not, people were able to debate and decide the outcome. FYI given your reasoning, it would be impossible to EVER decide which video game characters can beat one another, because the overall determining factor of how tough a video game character becomes depends on the people playing the character. Also if people have trouble deciding who can beat who, had you ever thought that the people can simply skip that thread and move onto the next one instead?

Compared to what? The ratio looks about the same to me compared to the other forums. A "Goku vs Superman" thread had 163 post. 213+ if you count other "Goku vs Superman" threads that I found. Small ratio indeed.

Okay what are you talking about? We're just taking two characters and deciding who can beat who. Not making a movie of where the two characters go through tons mystical journeys and character developments. Don't get me started on that whole "offend creator/author" defense. If I created my own characters. Character A is a street leveler like Wolverine, and character B is the guardian of the planet. Then someone made their own characters whose on par with A and B. I wouldn't be offended if people say that person's B can beat my A, because I'll probably agree with them. Then there's the part that these creators/authors should already feel their characters are "crappy" because people are saying this comic character can beat that comic character. Makes no difference what medium are they from.

Nobody intellectual likes the Vs. forums. Not just the Comic Book Vs., but all of them. They're more trouble than they're worth.

Narrow minded here are we? I've seen vs threads on other sites than this one, and the majority of people don't really take them that seriously. There were numerous people on the comic vs forum that included joke weaknesses and vulnerabilities that were in the comics. We don't all have to be serious.

Also you guys are exaggerating the bashing that goes around there. Compared to bashing that happens on other sites on general topics, it's very tamed there. Most of the bashing I see there consist of two types. Bashing the medium which they came from. For example in a movie Ghostrider vs Smallville Clark Kent thread, the bashing was of how much they dislike the Ghostrider film and the show Smallville. The second type is bashing of the character. For example some people don't like Sentry, and calling his feats PIS or CIS. Both of these bashings are going to occur whether it's Captain America vs Spiderman or Thanos vs Spongebob Squarepants.

HumanMovieGuide
Thanks to that "no editing posts after 15 mintues rules" I'll have to make a new one post to finish up my old one.

Originally posted by Schecter
versus forums should be deleted. nothing good comes from them.

And good things come from creating government comspiracies and saying how my religion is better than yours?

Everyone here also fail to see the bigger picture. With a "versus anything" forum it will achieve two things.

1. People who wants to see vs threads will know where to go.

2. People who hate vs threads wouldn't have to worry about seeing them outside the vs forum.

Captain REX
...where did you come from that you can whip out all this analysis of KMC, eh?

Halo & Star Wars are not even remotely the same universe. All genres are entirely separated; they're not going to be within the same space-time continuum. Likewise with the rest of that. People would bicker with us to the end of time if we said anything remotely close...

Likewise on a rule saying 'Assume that they have all abilities.'

Ultimately, it's down to the moderators and whether or not we feel we or anyone else could handle the mess. We decided 'No' months and months ago.

HumanMovieGuide
Halo & Star Wars are not even remotely the same universe. All genres are entirely separated; they're not going to be within the same space-time continuum. Likewise with the rest of that. People would bicker with us to the end of time if we said anything remotely close...

I've never claimed they were from the same universe. I'm aware all these people are from different universes. I'm also aware most comic heroines are from their own little universe. Like how Spiderman, Fantastic Four, Daredevil, etc are all from New York, yet none of them had ever encountered or even know one another until the creators feel like doing a crossover. I was merely giving out an example of how to compare the two. And if you thought I was suggesting you guys give out the guidelines. I would had said no to that idea. I meant the people who made the thread give out the guidelines. You know those same people who came up with the match, lets you know their prep time, where it takes place, any special condition, what not, etc. So one match might have Master Chief being transported to Star Wars universe, another might have Yoda being transported to Halo universe, and another might have the merging of both worlds. Nothing on the forum will be definite, just what the so thread outlines. You could balance, or unbalance a match like this. People could get creative this way. And as I said before, if people have trouble deciding a result, they can simply skip that thread and move onto the next. I also have to say for people who hate vs threads, you seem to be making a big deal out of it.

Burnt Pancakes
I don't see what the big deal is. I mean, "vs. anything" forums work well in every other forum on the damn planet that has them.

The only problem I see is that the existing Mods don't want to have to go through the trouble of moderating them. However, I think that if the current Mods don't feel up the task, why not just promote some of our senior, respectable members to do it?

Or at least do a test trial, have a Vs. everything forum for a week and observe the results, then form conclusions on how much trouble or lack there of will be started.

fanboy 1988

Nobody's saying they are from the same universe... But how do two characters from the same genre (video games for example) make there universe's any more related?? it doesn't, Mario and Dante are from the same genre but there universe's couldn't be any more different.

Ushgarak
There are many practical difficulties. For example, a vs. anything forum would technically be able to have any of the fights that happen in existing vs. forums. But clear opinion on this area has been that the existing patrons want only their own areas to have that kind of contest allowed, and meanwhile nor do they want to lose their distinct sections in a merger.

The other sites have them is pretty irrelevant. We're only interested in judging the situation we have here, and the heavy consensus has been that it is simply not worth it. It really adds little ot the forums and is a disproportionately awkward thing to maintain.

proudamerican
Then Cap and Toad can win more fights. I am in

Schecter
lol

HumanMovieGuide
Originally posted by Ushgarak
It really adds little ot the forums and is a disproportionately awkward thing to maintain.

If people like it and it becomes a success. We can simply delete all the other vs forums since they aren't necessary anymore. We'll only have to watch over one big forum instead of many little ones.

Originally posted by proudamerican
Then Cap and Toad can win more fights. I am in

They certainly can depending on how people make the match ups.

On a unrelated note: How do you put more than one quotes on your replies without opening a second window?

mr.smiley
I guess we should just get rid of the VG Vs., on that logic. doped

Yes.Or admit that having an vs anything forum isn't that big of a leap.It realy isn't.How can we have a potential match up such as Spider-Ham vs Doomsday,yet we are prohibited from some truly great matches that could come from an anything vs forums?

mr.smiley
Originally posted by Burnt Pancakes
I don't see what the big deal is. I mean, "vs. anything" forums work well in every other forum on the damn planet that has them.

The only problem I see is that the existing Mods don't want to have to go through the trouble of moderating them. However, I think that if the current Mods don't feel up the task, why not just promote some of our senior, respectable members to do it?

Or at least do a test trial, have a Vs. everything forum for a week and observe the results, then form conclusions on how much trouble or lack there of will be started.

I agree.Their are plenty of good members out their who would probably moderate a vs anything forum rather well.

Starhawk

your not allowed to post star wars stuff in the comic book versus forum, you can't have comic characters vs video game characters in the video game vs forum, and you can't have anything but star wars shit in the star wars vs forum...

Star wars is a long running comic book series, why can't it be posted in the Comic VS forum?

Schecter
every sock troll retard comes from the vs. forum.
people refer to the otf as the kmc toilet. i believe the vs forum
would be the kmc tumor.

Tattoo
Originally posted by Starhawk
Star wars is a long running comic book series, why can't it be posted in the Comic VS forum?

Because it didn't start as a comic.

Impediment
Originally posted by Tattoo
Because it didn't start as a comic.

What he said.

The first Star Wars comics appeared in 1979-1980, 2-3 years after the fact. Published by Marvel, if I remember correctly.

Lana
Exactly, and as I said already...

Being as all of the versus forums have rules in place that state that something that's in that forum must originate in that format, no, SW should not be allowed in CBVS.

Burnt Pancakes
Which is weak... Because Darth Maul vs. Wolverine would be an excellent fight...

Ushgarak
Originally posted by HumanMovieGuide
If people like it and it becomes a success. We can simply delete all the other vs forums since they aren't necessary anymore. We'll only have to watch over one big forum instead of many little ones.

I think you will find that measure extremely unpopular. Patrons of the current vs. areas are very much attached to them and do not want them merged into one big 'anything' vs. area.

It also breaks the community spirit of having all related areas together (Comic Book vs. is part of the Comic Book areas, SW vs. is part of the SW areas etc.) which does not work well.

Alfheim
Hell no! Er thats Hell no for vs everything.

Thorrin
Next thing you know, you'll have "OMGZ WHO WILLLL WINZ WOLV3INEE OR ANIKINZ WITHOUTZ HIS LITESABER11?????1?11".

Impediment
Originally posted by Bruce Leeroy
Which is weak... Because Darth Maul vs. Wolverine would be an excellent fight...

no expression

doan_m
Or it simply serves to strengthen "community spirit", as the spectrum of whom to debate against generally broadens and the fans are forced to defend their own turf with greater zeal. And really now, a versus where comic books are pitted against Sci-fi generally works fine, by means of measurement of power levels.

And whats wrong with that?

Barker
Originally posted by Thorrin
Next thing you know, you'll have "OMGZ WHO WILLLL WINZ WOLV3INEE OR ANIKINZ WITHOUTZ HIS LITESABER11?????1?11".
But that's not half as exciting as "WAHOO PKMN OMG HEY TUEDDIURSSA VS UH SILVER SURFER BUT GET THIS TEDDIURSA HAS A PISTOL CUZ BARKER TOLD HIM HOW AND SURFER BROKED HIS BOOAD SO NOW FITE"

Thorrin
laughing out loud

lando005
Or it simply serves to strengthen "community spirit", as the spectrum of whom to debate against generally broadens and the fans are forced to defend their own turf with greater zeal. And really now, a versus where comic books are pitted against Sci-fi generally works fine, by means of measurement of power levels.

And whats wrong with that? There are pros and cons here both sides have a valid point. I personally would like a vs everything forum that will finally liven things up a bit giving new options for most of the forums that have all but ran out of good ideas the biggest problem with this idea is regulation

Newjak

Nobody intellectual likes the Vs. forums. Not just the Comic Book Vs., but all of them. They're more trouble than they're worth. That hurt Rex that really hurt. no expression

Anyways I think that an all VS Forum would be a really hard thing to accomplish. Many people would make stupid fights but then again a lot of people make stupid threads no matter what.

Giving an all VS forums a test run though isn't a bad idea. A lot of people getting together to share ideas and feats of characters. It could work..

I say you would still have to keep all the individual VS Forums though just because people with like interests would still want to be able to be a in place with just their interest and have the ability not to worry about other people joining in when they don't want to.

And Lana as for the rules each separate VS Forums use they are in many key aspects very similar.

Lana
Originally posted by Newjak
That hurt Rex that really hurt. no expression

Anyways I think that an all VS Forum would be a really hard thing to accomplish. Many people would make stupid fights but then again a lot of people make stupid threads no matter what.

Giving an all VS forums a test run though isn't a bad idea. A lot of people getting together to share ideas and feats of characters. It could work..

I say you would still have to keep all the individual VS Forums though just because people with like interests would still want to be able to be a in place with just their interest and have the ability not to worry about other people joining in when they don't want to.

And Lana as for the rules each separate VS Forums use they are in many key aspects very similar.

I know they are, when one of us makes a rule change we generally let the other vs. mods know as ultimately it'll effect all three vs. forums, plus sometimes we like to steal each others rules stick out tongue

Newjak
I know they are, when one of us makes a rule change we generally let the other vs. mods know as ultimately it'll effect all three vs. forums, plus sometimes we like to steal each others rules stick out tongue That is just like a Mod stealing everything from hard working people stick out tongue

Ushgarak
Or it simply serves to strengthen "community spirit", as the spectrum of whom to debate against generally broadens and the fans are forced to defend their own turf with greater zeal.

Sorry, I realy don't agree.

It would be forced amalgamation of communities that do not want to merge. They are very distinct and it would be a mistake to mess around with that.

Captain REX
Originally posted by Newjak
That hurt Rex that really hurt. no expression

With some exceptions? eyes

I'm used to dealing with the SWVs. people, you know. stick out tongue

Sam Z
I recently posted a thread like this on the star wars vs forum and it got closed for some unknown reason.. it pissed me off a little so I thought I'd make another one here

we need a versus anything thread for video game, movie, comic, or star wars related characters.....

It'd be cool to have a forum were we can compare all these characters to each other, and for the people that say it's impossible to compare someone form lets say Star Wars to someone from LOTR cause there from different universe's. Take a look at the comic book versus forum, people compare characters from different universe's there all the time, Superman vs Thor, Lobo vs Gladiator, Batman vs Captain America.. It's done all the time in a way that makes sense to.

Actually that is a very good idea. I always thought that KMC needs a vs forum where we can debate games vs books characters. Because ALL comics vs comics and games vs games fights were posted and reposted dozen times.

Charlotte DeBel
Well, why on earth we should go with such strict restrictions? Either "anything goes" or "ban vs forums from existence forever". Both variants are stupid to me...

I've already said that characters from video game\movie based universes should be acceptable on comics vs forums, but with several restrictions.
1. The mentioned univerce should have comics books on it.
2. Since it's comics books vs forum, then please talk about COMICS book appearances\feats of the characters only (they might be non-canon to the main "product", but that's the same thing as with comics books\movies based on comics books. Nobody would discuss movie feats of character in a versus involving comics version).

That might be difficult, since most characters are known by their "major" appearances, but that restriction might keep the socks off spamming on those forums. If you think that getting rid of versus forums=getting rid of socks, then it's VERY primitive thinking. Those who want to spam and piss people off would still find a way to do that.

Captain REX
Oh, that's another thing. Judge and Nebaris would have a bigger audience to pester.

Charlotte DeBel
Of course, some of the fights won't be done just because of the risk of becoming masochistic... For example, I might want to make a "K' vs Wolverine" thread, because it would be like "me and some other people versus an ARMY of pissed off Wolverine's fanboys". Or in case of "Batman vs Kazuya"...people like to spam on those threads for some reason. But that's just a common sense. Common sense (or sometimes lack of it) is the major issue, not the versus forums being "universal evil".

leonidas
Oh, let's just start rolling our eyes at the guy who knows this all better than you. Okay, go for it.

that is a rather ridiculous generalization. actually, i suppose it's 3 ridiculous generalizations. the amusing part is that you somehow appear to want to equate 'intelligence' to 'which forum is visited'. instead of intelligence, you should be looking at age. the avg age of the vs forums is probably quite low -- mid-teens maybe? with a lot of visitors younger than that and a few older. the older contributors are quite bright, and good debaters, several of whom frequent the 'more enlightened forums.' what's funny is i personally find the vs forums to more cordial, less elitist, and flat-out more enjoyable than the GDF.

i presume you feel you belong to the former as opposed to the latter group? if so, perhaps you can consider teaching the 'other group' something as opposed to setting yourself apart as superior to them. to expect everyone (kids in particular) to act appropriately within a medium that dictates anonymity (and hence a lessening of any type of social inhibitions) is ridiculous. you take the good with the bad when you visit a virtual community. instead of segregating it and hence giving it its time in the spotlight, i choose to ignore the inapproriateness that i know is unavoidable in this setting.

can't deny that some of that is very true, but once you realize many of the vs members are just kids, it's not too hard to ignore. and there are a lot of very interesting discussions and debates that take place in the vs forum that cut across a wide swathe of material from science to religion to philosophy. you just gotta know who to engage when you visit. smile

leonidas
oh, as regards a vs anything forum? what do i care? if enough people want one, i'm not presumptuous enough to say there shouldn't be one. will i visit it? no, probably not, but i won't say it shouldn't be created because it would be inherently 'anti-intellectual' either. wink

§P0oONY
Get rid of all Vs. forums and permanently ban anyone who makes one... hmm

Barker
All right..

I love it when the debaters creep out of the vs. forums to come and debate with the mods over this issue. jockey laughing out loud

Captain REX
I do too, because then I can laugh because the moderators already decided that we don't want to have one.

HumanMovieGuide
The current vs forums seriously sucks because the restrictions make them so repetitive, and I can't even match a video game version of DBZ's trunk against Ken and Ryu where there's a good chance Ken and Ryu would win.

Don't feel like making long paragraphs right now.

Strangelove

Bruce Leeroy
It doesn't really matter as much anymore ebcause when I want to make a vs. anything match I just usually make the thread wait for it to get closed, getting at least a page of replies in the process no expression

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.