Casting the EU

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Scythe
So yeah, I'm @work and pretty bored so I'm finally getting around to making this thread. I've been reading EU back since Heir to the Empire came out (93? 94?) and pretty soon they were introducing characters that were not cast in the OT. So what I started doing back then was partly due to my not so active imagination, and partly because it made the characters easier to see in my minds eye - I started to associate actors with the EU characters.

Besides some characters just reminded me too much of other roles actors had played too.

Not sure if we're supposed to attach images or link'em so maybe a mod can let me know or make changes if necessary.

But for starters I got Sam Elliot of Tombstone fame as Garm Bel Iblis:

Darth Scythe
The X-Wing series was introducing like 3 new characters a book and there was 9 books in that series.

I forgot who I was thinking of the 1st time I read Rogue Squadron but when I re-read it, Rhysati Ynr was described as a smaller blondish girl so I thought of Elisha Cuthbert from 24:

Darth Scythe
Bror Jace was another x-wing character who was supposed to be a arrogant hotshot competing with Corran. Casper Van Dien(starship troopers) stood out as a good Bror Jace:

Darth Scythe
After seeing how crazy she was in Kill Bill 1 & 2 I thought Darryl Hannah would have been an awesome Ysanne Isard:

Darth Scythe
Mirax Terrik also was introduced in that series. I've always pictures the sexy Vanessa Marcil in that role:

Darth Scythe
Pash Cracken was a character who reminded me of someone like Barry Pepper:

Darth Scythe
Airen Cracken/James Caan. I mean, the guys was freakin SONNY in the Godfather:

Darth Scythe
ATTN: Mod on duty- clarify the linking policy. It would be easy to do that so I would have so many individual posts. smile

exanda kane
Nice idea for a post and Daryl Hannah is inspired casting as Isard.

exanda kane
Rutger Hauer as Dengar perhaps? (I understand that he was played in Empire already, but if the role was expanded, they'd need someone.)

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.philipkdick.com/images_photos-xxxyyy/bladerunner-hauer-01.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.philipkdick.com/films_blade-hauer01.html&h=814&w=550&sz=24&hl=en&start=1&tbnid=87AXUYbHPodfoM:&tbnh=144&tbnw=97&prev=/ images%3Fq%3DRutger%2BHauer%26gbv%3D2%26svnum%3D10
%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DG

Darth Scythe
^^^^^^
Nice, I've never thought of that.

Originally posted by exanda kane
Nice idea for a post and Daryl Hannah is inspired casting as Isard.

Thanks. It's one of those 'you have too much time on your hands' days here so I'm killing it appropriately.

Darth Scythe
Ron Rifkin of Alias as Flirry Vorru the Blacksun crimeboss:

exanda kane
It's a slightly constructive waste of time though roll eyes (sarcastic)

Although I must say, alot of these actors aren't very known to me, Alias etc. are shows that when they are shown in the UK, I don't get the liberty to watch.

Keep the thoughts coming though. It's interesting seeing some of the smaller players in the galaxy and the actors your bringing up.

Darth Scythe
I was a fan of the Band of Brohers series on HBO so I thought of Damien Lewis as Myn Donos:

Darth Scythe
"Face" Loran who would end up taking over Wraith Squadron, I'd have David Wenham aka Faramir:

Darth Scythe
Other wraiths:

Ton Phanan -Nick Chinlund who's done alot of action movies. Notably, Chronicles of Riddick as Toombs, a crooked cop in Training Day, Ultraviolet and Tears of the Sun as one of the special forces guys with Bruce Willis.

Falynn Sandskimmer the Tatooine Wraith Squadron pilot - Jennifer O'Dell, I first saw he play Veronica in Arthur Conan Doyles Lost World tv show.

Kell Tainer /David Boreanaz from Bones, and even further back from Buffy the vampire slayer.

Darth Scythe
I dont know about Jedi Academy trilogy era Kyp, but a NJO/LOTF era Kyp Durron could be Joaquin Phoenix. He can play great as a villain or hero.... Or hero with a past of villainy like Kyp:

Darth Scythe
Kirana Ti, the Jedi from Dathomir was described as dark skinned and very amazon. I always pictured the woman below, too bad she can't act and can't pull off being a bad ass that Kirana is:

Darth Scythe
Time for the New Jedi Order and Legacy characters. First up, Kenth Hamner. I used to think Clive Owen would be good as the refined, mature, diplomatic Jedi Master but after seeing Rome on HBO I like Ray Stevenson aka Titus Pollo:

Darth Scythe
How about the Matrix's Carrie Anne Moss as Octa Ramis?

Darth Scythe
Shawn Ashmore who was Bobby Drake/Iceman in X-men as Ganner Rhysode:

Darth Scythe
Tenel Ka, to me almost resembles a slimmer/athletic version of Kate Winslet.

Darth Scythe
For Anakin Solo I see Max Pirkis from master & commander:

Darth Scythe
d'oh(tried to delete)

Darth Scythe
For the longest, I had trouble trying to put a face with Jaina Solo. I kind of settled of Rachel Mcadams even though I can't really see her doing Jedi stuff. But she's pretty hot so it balances out. big grin

Darth Scythe
Jacen Solo was a no brainer for me. After seeing him go from happy rich boy to brooding psycho throught the Spidermans I picture James Franco as Jacen.

Darth Scythe
Jagged Fel is another who I'm never really sure about. In LOTF he's reappeared as a bitter guy with a bad attitude. That makes me think someone along the lines of Karl Urban(doom, lord of the rings trilogy, bourne supremacy).

Darth Scythe
I have another one who may be the biggest no-brainer for me and maybe for other people reading this thread even.

Could you think of anyone better to play a Madolorian than Jason Statham? He'd be Goran Beviin, the guy who scalped a freakin Vong, and doesn't watch what he says when he talks to Boba Fett(read Bloodlines to get what I mean)

RocasAtoll
A no brainer for a mandalorian is Vinnie Jones. Perfect look for the job.

exanda kane
No Vinnie Jones, no Statham, just no. Your suggestions have gone sour, no offense roll eyes (sarcastic)

Cockney gangster and actor wannabe's should stay as footballer-turned-actors and cockney gangsters.

Gideon
I've always wondered: who would play a good Thrawn?

Willaume
My only big disagreements are with Shawn Ashmore and Rachel McAdams.

I'm not a big Shawn Ashmore fan. If anything, I'd suggest that his brother, Aaron Ashmore, would be able to pull off the more character-side of Ganner. Shawn just annoyed me in the X-Men films. sad

Although I don't mind Rachel McAdams, she seems just a bit too much....I don't know, though, 'cause she's probably the one I'd be most willing to give leniency to.

I had to think about James Franco for a while. The longer I thought about it, the more I could see him (or an actor of the same calibre) as Jacen.

I enjoyed your suggestion that the Mandalorians would be best played by people like Vinnie Jones, but I've decided that their Cockney accents would probably stand out too much as they acted. Still, they're generally the sort of people born to play like roles.

RocasAtoll
Ya, now thinking about it his voice wouldn't work.

But Arnold, Arnold would.

Darth Scythe
I'm not Brittish, what is cockney? If its funny, I'm going to start using that to insult people out here.

Darth Scythe
I see the backlash from my Mando preference. I think Patrick Kilpatrick(from minority report) would be a good Mando too, but more like a Montross or someone else. Not Beviin, he has the tough, 'I've-been-in-alot-of-fights' look to him.

http://www.trektrak.com/2003/kilpatrick.jpg

exanda kane
Cockney. Right.

Ok, take Orlando Bloom's accent (as unconvincing an actor as he is) and put it against Vinnie Jones' (as unconvincing as he is) accent and the latter is cockney.

You'll hear it most in Guy Richie films, where it does work, but when you inhabit the tubes of London alot, you do not want to hear that accent on the big screen.

Kilpatrick suits Montross, certainly.

Darth Scythe
Originally posted by exanda kane
Cockney. Right.

Ok, take Orlando Bloom's accent (as unconvincing an actor as he is) and put it against Vinnie Jones' (as unconvincing as he is) accent and the latter is cockney.

You'll hear it most in Guy Richie films, where it does work, but when you inhabit the tubes of London alot, you do not want to hear that accent on the big screen.

Kilpatrick suits Montross, certainly.

I think I get it. Its like the rough around the edges Brittish accent where Blooms would be like a softer accent. Like those dudes who say 'El-lo' instead of Hello?

Willaume
Pretty much. Its a London-dialect.

exanda kane
Yeah, nothing particular wrong with it, but I don't think it's exotic enough for a Mandalorian. Realise that may simply be because I live in London and even I'm prone to the odd "Ello".

I thought the Kiwi accent ws an odd, but effective choice for Jango Fett, so why not just get the New Zealand Rugy team in to the studio, strap 'em up in fiberglass Mando, and you have your mercenaries.

overlord
So wot about C'boath and Katarn? :-)))

exanda kane
Katarn had an actor if I remember rightly. Makes it hard for me to imagine another.

John Hurt as C'boath?

Darth Scythe
Originally posted by Gideon
I've always wondered: who would play a good Thrawn?

Someone who could capture the cool, calculating and badass-ness of Thrawn could be Andy Garcia of Oceans 11/12/13 & Smokin Aces

BlaxicanHydra
This needs more black people.

Darth Scythe
Don't blame me, blame the facist EU pig authors. Dur Gejjen was like the first EU guy who could be described as latin or black.

Actually Kirana Ti was. But not in any novelaztions, just comics I think.

exanda kane
Originally posted by Darth Scythe
Someone who could capture the cool, calculating and badass-ness of Thrawn could be Andy Garcia of Oceans 11/12/13 & Smokin Aces

He has that "look", the kind of caluclating presence et cetera et cetera, but the acting talent? Nah.

Captain REX
Katarn? How about the guy who played him in Jedi Knight? stick out tongue

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.