do animals have souls?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

king leonidas
this morning during religion i asked my teacher if animals have souls, she said no. now personally i disagree my dog has a soul as do other animals. what do you think?

DigiMark007
It's easy to see animals as having souls, especially if you're a pet owner and love your pet. Most Western traditions would tell you they don't, however.

So it basically comes down to your belief structure. Are we somehow seperated from the rest of creation due to some God-figure (Christianity, Judeaism, Islam, etc.) or are we simply part of a greater whole, neither greater nor lesser (primarily Eastern traditions)? And do you believe in a soul at all (Atheism)?

"If we do, so do animals" would be my opinion. But definitions of what a soul consists of outside of Western tradition is a tricky proposition, at best....so it might not be a soul as you would think of it in what I'm assuming is a Christian setting.

Ytse
There's no way to know so believe whatever makes you happy here. So long as you don't go all PETA and start valuing animal life over human life.

;-)

Of course if you really wanted to be rigorous you'd need to define soul in the first place. If your cat plays the sax he has soul in one way but perhaps not another.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by king leonidas
this morning during religion i asked my teacher if animals have souls, she said no. now personally i disagree my dog has a soul as do other animals. what do you think?

How do you know that you even have a soul?

vintageSW77
that dancing cat in the Bjork video has got soul

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by vintageSW77
that dancing cat in the Bjork video has got soul

And my shoes have souls. wink

Ytse
And South Korea.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Ytse
And South Korea.

big grin

marcu
Well, I have to say that I do think that animals have souls.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by marcu
Well, I have to say that I do think that animals have souls.

I always say, if I have a soul, so does my cat. wink

BobbyD
If your cat plays the sax he has soul in one way but perhaps not another.

laughing

That's pretty funny.

BobbyD
For the record, I believe they do....er, um....I want to believe they do, but am uncertain.

How's that? wink

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by BobbyD
For the record, I believe they do....er, um....I want to believe they do, but am uncertain.

How's that? wink

I don't know. cool

BobbyD
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
I don't know. cool

Gimme back my sunglasses, Shaky!!! mad

Shakyamunison
Gimme back my sunglasses, Shaky!!! mad

Hey! eek! Those are prescription. stick out tongue

BobbyD
Hey! eek! Those are prescription. stick out tongue

Oh sorry. embarrasment

Someone else must have them.

ThePittman
I don't believe in souls wink

Symmetric Chaos
In SpongeBob SquarePants Squidward said he didn't have a soul. If anthropomorphized animals don't have souls why would normal animals have souls?

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
In SpongeBob SquarePants Squidward said he didn't have a soul. If anthropomorphized animals don't have souls why would normal animals have souls?

I don't know how to argue with that point. confused I don't even know how to agree with that way of thinking. laughing out loud

Symmetric Chaos
And thats why I can't lose.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
And thats why I can't lose.

eek! With SpongeBob SquarePants on your team, you win by default. evil face

http://www.spongebobworld.com/images/sbw_characters.jpg

debbiejo
I wuv them.. love

Adam_PoE
Originally posted by king leonidas
do animals have souls?

No, and since people are animals, they do not have souls either.

Symmetric Chaos
Clever.

BobbyD
How could something this cute, not have a soul? sad

Shakyamunison
How could something this cute, not have a soul? sad

It all depends on what a soul is.

BobbyD
It all depends on what a soul is.

But my son is cute though, ain't he?

big grin

Mindship
This one does.
http://www.wfmu.org/LCD/24/Gfxlcd24/kokomo_sax.jpg

Shakyamunison

big grin

eek! I think interspecies breeding is sick. sick laughing

Mindship
Another with soul...
http://www.mchenrycountyblog.com/uploaded_images/Keeley%20in%20sun%20glasses-749307.jpg
...that, or this is a C yberdyne A dvanced T erminator.

BobbyD
eek! I think interspecies breeding is sick. sick laughing

laughing

Indeed.

debbiejo

big grin He looks just like you. stick out tongue

BobbyD
Originally posted by debbiejo
He looks just like you. stick out tongue

Aw shucks. embarrasment

I'll take that as a compliment. Why thank you, Deb. big grin

Shakyamunison
Aw shucks. embarrasment

I'll take that as a compliment. Why thank you, Deb. big grin

But I thought you were a dog. eek!

BobbyD
But I thought you were a dog. eek!

sad

That's not nice.

stick out tongue

Shakyamunison
sad

That's not nice.

stick out tongue

Isn't this you?

BobbyD
Isn't this you?

Oh, um....yeah. That's what I look like. big grin

Shakyamunison
Oh, um....yeah. That's what I look like. big grin

Well, that eye as my avatar; that is me. cool

debbiejo
Well I'm really the Moon. See me every night? It's me!!

I can't say if animals have a soul. Many think they do because according to specialized camera's they put out what some call auras, like people. However, this doesn't mean they have a soul, but reflect some aspect of their temperament or something else. It is interesting to think about though. If they do have a soul then maybe it's an immature soul as compared to ours. But then one has to wonder what really entails owning a soul. Is it personality projecting it's self, a living force of life, a total connected essence to everything else. Or would it be a spirit. OR is a spirit and the soul the same thing?

BobbyD
I can't say if animals have a soul. Many think they do because according to specialized camera's they put out what some call auras, like people. However, this doesn't mean they have a soul, but reflect some aspect of their temperament or something else. It is interesting to think about though. If they do have a soul then maybe it's an immature soul as compared to ours. But then one has to wonder what really entails owning a soul. Is it personality projecting itself, a living force of life, a total connected essence to everything else. Or would it be a spirit. OR is a spirit and the soul the same thing?

Interesting. ...and well said.

Shakyamunison
Well I'm really the Moon. See me every night? It's me!!

I can't say if animals have a soul. Many think they do because according to specialized camera's they put out what some call auras, like people. However, this doesn't mean they have a soul, but reflect some aspect of their temperament or something else. It is interesting to think about though. If they do have a soul then maybe it's an immature soul as compared to ours. But then one has to wonder what really entails owning a soul. Is it personality projecting it's self, a living force of life, a total connected essence to everything else. Or would it be a spirit. OR is a spirit and the soul the same thing?

Why do humans think we are "BETTER" then other animals? We have different skills, but some animals can do things that we could never do.

debbiejo
Well I guess it depends on your definition of a "soul." I myself believe that everything is connected so that would include everything. There are just so many questions without answers yet.

Shakyamunison
Well I guess it depends on your definition of a "soul." I myself believe that everything is connected so that would include everything. There are just so many questions without answers yet.

Or nothing has a soul, just a connection.

debbiejo
What's a soul and what exactly is a connection?

Shakyamunison
What's a soul and what exactly is a connection?

I don't know what a soul is. The connection? Nothingness.

Goddess Kali
Why do humans think we are "BETTER" then other animals? We have different skills, but some animals can do things that we could never do.

Animals (non humans) are not responsible for global warming or mass murder-at least not anywhere on the scale that human beings are.

If anything, human beings have done far more harm than any animal has ever done.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Goddess Kali
Animals (non humans) are not responsible for global warming or mass murder-at least not anywhere on the scale that human beings are.

If anything, human beings have done far more harm than any animal has ever done.

Therefore, maybe they are the ones with a soul, and we are the soulless. laughing

BobbyD
Therefore, maybe they are the ones with a soul, and we are the soulless. laughing
huh

Zoiks!

debbiejo
I don't know what a soul is. The connection? Nothingness. We are all Nothing..... laughing out loud

Do you still have your box illustration?

Ytse
Why do humans think we are "BETTER" then other animals?

Because we're slow, weak, and clumsy compared to most everything else yet we easily dominate this planet.

Most certainly true. Humans have generally been bad stewards of the environment and should take more care of it. I'm especially fond of orcas myself. Shamu is a total badass.

Shakyamunison
Because we're slow, weak, and clumsy compared to most everything else yet we easily dominate this planet...

Wrong answer; I was looking for "arrogance". wink

Ytse
Wrong answer; I was looking for "arrogance". wink

Well, I'm correct in my assessment anyway. smile

inimalist
Originally posted by Goddess Kali

The human effects of global warming pale in comparison to the climate change caused by cyanobacteria or even natural phenomena such as massive volcanoes or meteors.

harm is relative. in 2 billion years, whatever animals evolved into the new climate created by us would only exist because of our carbon emissions. we only see it as "harm" because of the temporal nature of human emotion.

Ytse
Originally posted by inimalist
The human effects of global warming pale in comparison to the climate change caused by cyanobacteria or even natural phenomena such as massive volcanoes or meteorites.

Imagine if the yellowstone caldera blew. Man, that would totally dwarf any negative contributions we've made.

Shakyamunison
Well, I'm correct in my assessment anyway. smile

I was just being you... stick out tongue laughing out loud

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.