The-What it Could have been? but unforntunatley sucked!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

OB1-adobe
We have all played our share of games in history. Unforntuntley we have all expierenced the hype and wait about game that turned out to be just flat out crappy.

I recently plugged back in my NES and SNES and I got some words and memories I got to spill out.

Back in the Early 90's during the Comic boom- EVERY COMIC BOOK VIDEO GAME PRACTICALLY SUCKED!!!!!!
Spider-man and the X-men in Arcades Revenge: this game was on the cover of a summer issue of Gamepro magazine. Tons of Hype! It came out and people were upset. Saying you beat this game, people are like "WOW REALLY!" Unblievably hard, and stupid. Good sound, good graphics, Really cool music. It really could have been a good one.

Jurassic Park SNES-again was featured on the cover of Game pro magazine. Great music (really good actually) good sound, decent graphics. Featured a little FPS in there, and the game was MASSIVE and very highly detailed. Also included (fairly new to the day) were audio voice files. Problems- with no game map, or save points or passwords, who the hell has the time to beat this thing? You have limited lives, limited continues, velociraptors at every corner, and spend the entire game looking for eggs, and ID cards (including your freaking own) just to open doors and to turn on a computer. At it was freaking hard at that.

If you don't know what I'm talking about check here:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ts0x_ltE7EA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ysOakgB8GM

Any others people would like to mention?

Tekno Boy
You're a very bitter person, aren't you?

And NO, not every comic book video game sucked. Maximum Carnage rocked.

OB1-adobe
Originally posted by Tekno Boy
You're a very bitter person, aren't you?

And NO, not every comic book video game sucked. Maximum Carnage rocked.

I said "Practically", not "ALL"

I enjoyed Wolverine for the NES a lot. I never got to play Maximum Carnage, and always wanted to play Death & return of Superman.

Schecter
biggest disappointments for me were over-g fighters (wonderful xbox360 air combat sim, but too glitchy and never updated/fixed) and chromehounds

SaTsuJiN
for me its usually fighting games that suffer this fate

Ehrgeiz

Tobal series

Battle Arena Toshinden series

Destrega

Fatal Fury : Wild Ambition (or any "3D" SNK fighter for that matter)

Power Stone

Numerous Dragonball Z fighting games

Bushido Blade series

then it kinda stems over into Hack n Slash RPG's like Phantasy Star Online

Smasandian
STALKER.

I had high hopes for the game. Really high hopes.

Failed on one the key features of the game, which was the open world. I had visions of being an assassing like creature that can slip in and out of the Zone and go wherever I liked. Just like Oblivion, but alot cooler.

Nope, didnt happen. What you get is individual zones with an very restrictive fence. Come on guys, you said open world and I understand that you cant have an open world like real life, but atleast make the fences, or cliffs or other stuff farther away than you have it. I can literally see the other side of the map. And great way of having an open world......basically going to each map every time.

And the one complaint is that, I STILL CANT ****ING PLAY THE GAME, because of horrible, horrible code. Every x1600, and up (not including x1950) have horrible, horrible crash issues. I can literally play the game for about 20 minutes, to 5 minutes, to 50 minutes at a time before my image freezes.

The game came out in March for **** sakes....they decided to fix the problems with MP (which nonbody plays), but not an huge problem like that.

AHHHHHH.....sorry for the rant.

InnerRise
Originally posted by SaTsuJiN
for me its usually fighting games that suffer this fate

Ehrgeiz

Tobal series

Battle Arena Toshinden series

Destrega

Fatal Fury : Wild Ambition (or any "3D" SNK fighter for that matter)

Power Stone

Numerous Dragonball Z fighting games

Bushido Blade series

then it kinda stems over into Hack n Slash RPG's like Phantasy Star Online Was Powerstone really that bad?

I remember really wanting it but never being able to find it. I was severely disappointed.

anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

Bruce Leeroy
Originally posted by Schecter
biggest disappointments for me were over-g fighters (wonderful xbox360 air combat sim, but too glitchy and never updated/fixed) and chromehounds

Wow, lol.

I bought both games, and was dissapointed as well.

Midway BS is fun, though.

SaTsuJiN
Originally posted by InnerRise
Was Powerstone really that bad?

I remember really wanting it but never being able to find it. I was severely disappointed.

anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

well its a 'what it could have been, but sucked'...

powerstone is a great party game for carefree fun, but dont take it for more than that...

the 'what it could have been' for me :

it was supposed to be capcoms answer to smash brothers.. and rather than pretend to be 3d as smash brothers does, they actually kept it 3d.. and coming from a fighting game company, I expected a fairly deep fighter... but alas.. I was disappointed, and smash brothers still holds the crown..

so if you take it at face value for a party game.. you'd enjoy.
but if you had my personal expectations.. you'd be disappointed.

Schecter
Originally posted by Bruce Leeroy
Midway BS is fun, though.

i frikin love that game.
know what gets me pumped up?
watching 'dogfights' on the history channel and then playing that game.

Xenogears
Originally posted by Schecter
biggest disappointments for me were over-g fighters (wonderful xbox360 air combat sim, but too glitchy and never updated/fixed) and chromehounds Woah...I'm surprised someone made an avy and sig out of that site ad, though I considered doing it myself. stick out tongue

Emperor Ashtar
Originally posted by SaTsuJiN
well its a 'what it could have been, but sucked'...

powerstone is a great party game for carefree fun, but dont take it for more than that...

the 'what it could have been' for me :

it was supposed to be capcoms answer to smash brothers.. and rather than pretend to be 3d as smash brothers does, they actually kept it 3d.. and coming from a fighting game company, I expected a fairly deep fighter... but alas.. I was disappointed, and smash brothers still holds the crown..

so if you take it at face value for a party game.. you'd enjoy.
but if you had my personal expectations.. you'd be disappointed.
Power Stone was good, but part 2 sucks. . .
Since when did Capcom compete with Nintendo?

SaTsuJiN
Originally posted by Emperor Ashtar
Power Stone was good, but part 2 sucks. . .
Since when did Capcom compete with Nintendo?

didnt say they directly competed.. but they are both very similar in more ways than one

-assortment of crazy characters

-4 players in 1 arena

-items thrown into the mix to turn the tide of battle

-stages fight back in some particular way

-simplistic control scheme

capcom obviously noted the party-game themed potential of smash bros. and gave us their take on things... but it would have been much better done with their more famous character roster and with more depth

and considering capcom holds the crown for fighters, I expected this to be the case with the power stone series

what made you like 1 more than 2?

ragesRemorse
SuperMan returns could have been an outstanding game, but unfortunately was one of the worst games of the past year

§P0oONY
Halo 2!

MadMel
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
SuperMan returns could have been an outstanding game, but unfortunately was one of the worst games of the past year agreed!
they delayed the games for 4 months..where they sitting on their ass all that time??

Gregory
Siren. It has great atmosphere, it's scary, it has a potentially cool gimick--but it gets dragged down by horrible game mechanics. I mean, horrible controls are par for the course with horror games, but Siren went far, far beyond that. Aimlessly wandering around, replaying missions again and again in the vain hope that this time, you'll get lucky and do whatever completely counter-intuitive, random thing you need to trigger something new.

Xenogears was inventive and fun until the second disk, and then ... what then hell? I can only assume that either they completely ran out of time or money right around then.

((The_Anomaly))
SuperMan returns could have been an outstanding game, but unfortunately was one of the worst games of the past year

Totally agree with this, Supes had so much potential, but fell straight on its ass. I was seriously like "what the @#@$$#???"...cause it looked so awesome in the trailers and gameplay vids...Plus I love Superman as he is my favorite Superhero. Oh well, good thing I rented it first.

TricksterPriest
Originally posted by Gregory
Siren. It has great atmosphere, it's scary, it has a potentially cool gimick--but it gets dragged down by horrible game mechanics. I mean, horrible controls are par for the course with horror games, but Siren went far, far beyond that. Aimlessly wandering around, replaying missions again and again in the vain hope that this time, you'll get lucky and do whatever completely counter-intuitive, random thing you need to trigger something new.

Xenogears was inventive and fun until the second disk, and then ... what then hell? I can only assume that either they completely ran out of time or money right around then.

Xenogears was awesome......What the f**k? The 2nd disk thing? It's like the last 2-3 episodes of EVA. IMO, the best part of the game. It actually resolves the INSANELY convoluted storyline and plot points. big grin

Zone of the Enders 1.

I was expecting something fantastic, a mecha game to define the genre. I got something with potential, but........flawed. It was repedative and annoying. There was something in there, but Konami didn't quite have it. Part of it was the obnoxious ***** they had as the main guy: Leo Stenbuck. I liked the combat, but the the traveling around and free roaming kinda sucked and killed the fun. The lack of explanation and stupid system of saving civilians in order to get the good ending pissed me off.

Thankfully, someone listened and they took their time to make a sequel that actually DID define the mecha Genre. big grin

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by ((The_Anomaly))
Totally agree with this, Supes had so much potential, but fell straight on its ass. I was seriously like "what the @#@$$#???"...cause it looked so awesome in the trailers and gameplay vids...Plus I love Superman as he is my favorite Superhero. Oh well, good thing I rented it first.

I know, did EA really think that fighting the same 6 enemies over and over again through out the entire game would be fun?

There was also nothing to do. For as beutifull and large as the city was, you would think the developers would have given you something to do in the city other than fly aorund

((The_Anomaly))
I know, did EA really think that fighting the same 6 enemies over and over again through out the entire game would be fun?

There was also nothing to do. For as beutifull and large as the city was, you would think the developers would have given you something to do in the city other than fly aorund

Haha, yea I think I fought more robots in Superman Returns then I have in every other game I've played combined lol. It was like "robots are destroying the city!" or occasionally "mutant gargoyles are destroying the city!" or even less occasionally "mutalisks (dragons) are destroying the city!" and it happened literally like every 10 seconds, there was no break in between and if you didn't go to kill them then they city health would die and you would lose. It was dumb.

ESB -1138
Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
...that could have been one of the best movie games of all time but it sucks. The fighting doesn't have anything special to it and all the characters play the same.

Superman 64
WORSE GAME OF ALL TIME!!!

Sonic the Hedgehog 360/PS3
"We're returning Sonic to his roots" bull ****!! Sonic & the Secret Rings brought Sonic closer to his roots then that poor excuse for a game. They said and I quote: We slowed down the characters so you can appreciate the environment. I don't want that! I want to see the environment as a blur blazing through the game. It sucked big time. The camera was horrible and the controls weren't good. It took the same design as Sonic Adventure 2 and destroyed it.

InnerRise
You Poor Soul.

You actually bought the new Pirates Game? petpet

And since you bring up Superman 64, that brings to mind the horrendous Superman Game for the Sega Genesis. The controls were so clunky and the actual game sucked as well.

Ugh. I don't know how I put up with playing it for so long.

Anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

ESB -1138
Has there ever been a good Superman game?

((The_Anomaly))
I actually don't think there has been a good Superman game sadly. Superman Returns was the best one to date... erm

ESB -1138
Superman Returns the best one? Now that is sad. Atleast Spider-man has some good games.

InnerRise
Well Spiderman HAD some good games. Not so much anymore.

My favorite has always been and still is the very first one for the original Playstation.

Anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

Gregory
Originally posted by TricksterPriest
Xenogears was awesome......What the f**k? The 2nd disk thing? It's like the last 2-3 episodes of EVA. IMO, the best part of the game. It actually resolves the INSANELY convoluted storyline and plot points. big grin

Xenogears was not "awsome" even at its best, and when they started telling the story entirely via big blocks of text interspaced with tedious dungeons, it became downright bad.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.