10 year rule SPOILERS

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

vyntagechick
I am really confused about the ten year rule. Is he only bound to 10 years on the dutchman or is he going to have to do the same thing as Davy Jones and do 10 years aboard and one day on land. Also, they had members of the british navy on board guarding his heart, Why can't elizabeth be on board the ship, or why cant they do what Davy Jones did when he was standing in the Bucket of water.
Does the curse break if Elizabeth is faithful and is there when Davy Jones returns? Is there any hint of this in the movies that i just missed?

Surreal_44
Davy Jones abandoned his post. He was no longer ferrying people to that 'distant shore', so that's why people could step on board the Dutchman.

For Will to not become "fish faced", he must abide by the purpose of the Dutchman, which is to 'crossover' souls. He can't do that if he's in the land of the dead to gather the souls up.

The curse is broken if, at any time, the captain of the Dutchman finds a love who will be true to him. So at the end of ten years, Will will be free of the Dutchman entirely.

Most of this is in the movie, but there's so much to take in from the film that it's understandable if you didn't catch it all. The bit about Will being free of the Dutchman for forever (at least that's my understanding) is from Ted and Terry, the writers of the movie. big grin

I hope this helps a little. big grin

vyntagechick
Thanks so much. That really clears things up. I was not sure at the end if Will was just returning for his one day every ten years or if he was returning for good!

vyntagechick
do you know where that quote from them came from? About him being free forever?

vyntagechick
wordplayer.com
/forums/movies/index.cgi?read=98721

pirate179
so this means that will is free now?? im kinda confused!! well..i mean after the 10 years..so he is free at the end of the credits??

Surreal_44
Will no longer has to captain the Dutchman. He is free of it after ten years. big grin I like that, don't you?

Ditte3
And who's the captain of the FD?

calypso
Good question. Maybe TnT can answer that one. lol

Surreal_44
TnT said that they don't know who the next captain would be, just that it's not Will. big grin

Shadow0fabandit
Originally posted by Surreal_44
Davy Jones abandoned his post. He was no longer ferrying people to that 'distant shore', so that's why people could step on board the Dutchman.

For Will to not become "fish faced", he must abide by the purpose of the Dutchman, which is to 'crossover' souls. He can't do that if he's in the land of the dead to gather the souls up.

The curse is broken if, at any time, the captain of the Dutchman finds a love who will be true to him. So at the end of ten years, Will will be free of the Dutchman entirely.

Most of this is in the movie, but there's so much to take in from the film that it's understandable if you didn't catch it all. The bit about Will being free of the Dutchman for forever (at least that's my understanding) is from Ted and Terry, the writers of the movie. big grin

Where exactly did you find this information?

IheartPocky
It's all from the writers. They have their own website and answer alot of questions.

Shadow0fabandit
Linky please!

IheartPocky
http://www.wordplayer.com/

Shadow0fabandit
Originally posted by IheartPocky
http://www.wordplayer.com/

Thank you so much. That clears up alot of things.

JMaX

De-lurking ::waves::

But the movie doesn't say this...if it's not in the movie, it's not canon.

edited due to fumbling fingers smile

Ditte3
In the movie it was not said that after ten years Will wouldn't be captain.

thewolf88
The movie was clear about ONE thing. The Dutchman must always have a captain And the only way for a new captain to appear is for him to kill the previous captain's heart and carve out his own.
So Will can not be releived of his duty on the Dutchman unless someone kills his heart, and him as a result, which means he won't be with Elizabeth obviously. So the movie really had a pretty sour ending. IF the filmwriters intended for the curse to be lifted after 10 years, they are simply contradicting themselves. you would think that with all the hype and expectation surrounding the third leg of the trilogy, disney would work hard to actually bring the story to comprehensible close, but instead, I had to go home after the movie and discover a pile of controversy on internet messageboards over very basic elements of the poorly written plot. POTC 3 was absolute garbage

Shadow0fabandit
Originally posted by JMaX
De-lurking ::waves::

But the movie doesn't say this...if it's not in the movie, it's not canon.

edited due to fumbling fingers smile

It didn't directly say it but in fact Davy Jones gave it away.

pirate179
thats what i said and was so confused about!!!! the dutchman must always have a captain!! thats what was so stressed in DMC and AWE so how can the curse be lifted or whatever, cuz if it is lifted there is no one to be captain, so what happens then??? does this mean that there is no more FD?? or what??

Shadow0fabandit
Originally posted by pirate179
thats what i said and was so confused about!!!! the dutchman must always have a captain!! thats what was so stressed in DMC and AWE so how can the curse be lifted or whatever, cuz if it is lifted there is no one to be captain, so what happens then??? does this mean that there is no more FD?? or what??

No, this means Pirates of the Caribbean 4 to answer those questions.

willofthewisp
Okay, someone said the movie does not make this known. The movie implies (now that I've seen it!) that:

1. The FD NEEDS a captain.
2. The captain can visit land every 10 years

By this logic, Will has one day, one, to spend with Liz and his son before he has to go again. Does this suck for all of them? You bet. Also, by this logic, all Elizabeth's love does is keep him from becoming bitter. Davy became a squid and the crew members were cursed and life was horrible if you died at sea because Davy turned into a cynical sadist. Elizabeth's love keeps Will how we all know him: as a human-looking, brave, nice guy.

Now, if Will is freed, good for him and the Turner family. But what about the Dutchman? What my guess would be there is that Will would make his dad captain. Will would appoint someone he trusted, someone who would do the job correctly. But the movie should have made this common knowledge.

Shadow0fabandit
Originally posted by willofthewisp
Okay, someone said the movie does not make this known. The movie implies (now that I've seen it!) that:

By this logic, Will has one day, one, to spend with Liz and his son before he has to go again. Does this suck for all of them? You bet. Also, by this logic, all Elizabeth's love does is keep him from becoming bitter. Davy became a squid and the crew members were cursed and life was horrible if you died at sea because Davy turned into a cynical sadist. Elizabeth's love keeps Will how we all know him: as a human-looking, brave, nice guy.

Now, if Will is freed, good for him and the Turner family. But what about the Dutchman? What my guess would be there is that Will would make his dad captain. Will would appoint someone he trusted, someone who would do the job correctly. But the movie should have made this common knowledge.

Very logical. Can't wait to see what happens in POTC4!

Surreal_44
I actually disagree. The movie indicates in a not-very-clear way that DJ was expecting some type of reward (not just Calypso) for ferrying dead souls.

The movie never implies that Will needs Elizabeth to remain faithful in order to not be squid-faced. What the movie states is that DJ chose to become bitter and abandon his post, cut out his heart, and become squid-like.

I have no doubt in my mind that Will would never have gone this route, that if Elizabeth had chosen to not wait for him (if she hadn't run after him on the beach), Will would have remained human looking, and would have honored the agreement that binds him to the Dutchman.

The only thing unclear in the movie is what happens after the ten years are up. TnT had lines in there that were meant to indicate Will is going to be free from the Dutchman in ten years, and because of unfortunate editing, it is not strictly canon, but I figured it out on my own that the curse would be broken, so I consider it canon anyway. big grin

By the way, TnT have hinted that movie four might take place before the ten years are up, and they seem to have a few ideas for adventures in mind for Will and Liz (and of course Jack). Now if we could just get a good story and everyone signed up...big grin

katelovespirate
I'll throw my two pence in. The movie didn't make anything clear. It vaguely hinted at things. No one knew, or could possibly be expected to know, that the curse was broken after ten years. it's not canon--- it's what happens when you get online and do tons of research to understand all that stuff. the movie made it sound like you get 1 day every ten years, and that's that. no mention at all of the curse being broken if Lizzie keeps her skirt on.

Shadow0fabandit
I actually disagree. The movie indicates in a not-very-clear way that DJ was expecting some type of reward (not just Calypso) for ferrying dead souls.

The movie never implies that Will needs Elizabeth to remain faithful in order to not be squid-faced. What the movie states is that DJ chose to become bitter and abandon his post, cut out his heart, and become squid-like.

I have no doubt in my mind that Will would never have gone this route, that if Elizabeth had chosen to not wait for him (if she hadn't run after him on the beach), Will would have remained human looking, and would have honored the agreement that binds him to the Dutchman.

The only thing unclear in the movie is what happens after the ten years are up. TnT had lines in there that were meant to indicate Will is going to be free from the Dutchman in ten years, and because of unfortunate editing, it is not strictly canon, but I figured it out on my own that the curse would be broken, so I consider it canon anyway. big grin

By the way, TnT have hinted that movie four might take place before the ten years are up, and they seem to have a few ideas for adventures in mind for Will and Liz (and of course Jack). Now if we could just get a good story and everyone signed up...big grin

My thoughts are if they are to do something to that effect that Calypso will be a major part, seeing as she just disappeared during the movie, even after she said she would exact her revenge on the pirate lords.

Surreal_44
Maybe you should watch the film again. There's a lot of that wonderful subtext in there, hints and such that should help you draw the proper conclusions.

willofthewisp
Although I am in firm belief that the child is Will's, the end scene doesn't even make that clear. My mom looked at me like, "It is Will's, right?" Don't misunderstand me: it is without a doubt Will's in my mind, but the movie doesn't make that clear. Maybe if they had Liz say, "Come back here, Will Jr." or something, lol. The ending was not worth waiting after all those credits.

Shadow0fabandit
Maybe you should watch the film again. There's a lot of that wonderful subtext in there, hints and such that should help you draw the proper conclusions.

The problem is, that most people who go and see the movie, don't have the common sense to understand that. That is why a Pirates of the Caribbean 4 is required.

katelovespirate
oh swear words. i'm not seeing that film again. hehehe. I think it's pretty unfair to assume everyone is gonna get the junk about the curse, calypso, etc. you don't need to defend the film in the area of plot, because a lot of it was just not explained. clearly i am on this forum and so knew about the curse rule, and so specifically looked for that important info to come out during the course of the film. it wasn't there. not even a hint.

Surreal_44
It doesn't matter anyway. People will make what they want out of Pirates 3, 4, or 10. They could make it a seven hour mini-series, and they'd still question what they see on screen, so...what's the point?

I didn't hear anyone at my theater question who's child it was, so I don't really know how that could be confusing either. stick out tongue The plot was straight-forward as it could be. Most of my friends went in massively unspoiled, and they understood everything just fine. I'm not sure where all the confusion is coming from, to be honest.

It was a good movie. Funny, dark, sad, happy...it had everything in it. big grin

katelovespirate
hmmm... when was it happy? did I miss that part? wink

willofthewisp
Kate, you're way too bitter. What's wrong?

JMaX
Originally posted by Shadow0fabandit
It didn't directly say it but in fact Davy Jones gave it away.

Really? I don't remember it being mentioned...the problem is that I was surrounded my MANY sproglettes and it did get a bit difficult to hear at points. Perhaps I missed it...gonna go find a torrent and watch it again. smile

JMaX
No, this means Pirates of the Caribbean 4 to answer those questions.

Amen! That or there had better be a heck of a lot of extra footage on the DVD release!

IheartPocky
It would be soo awesome if the had an extended version where they had those little important lines. And scenes..

thewolf88

How are we supposed to know that the captain of the flying dutchman has the power to just leave the ship and appoint a successor? Obviously if he could do that, than Will woudn't wait 10 years or longer to do it, he would do it right away to stay with Elizabeth. Also why did Davy Jones get stuck on the flying dutchman then, if by your theory, the captain has the power to just abandon his post if he appoints a successor, who obviously couldn't refuse. Face it, instead of just making the movie the tragedy that it was set up to be, Disney chickened out go scared of losing fans and tried to slip in a quasi-happy ending after the credits, but simply got entangled in their own confusion over the many plot elements they created.

willofthewisp
That's why I think he has to go back after his one-day 10 year visit. It's the people who think the curse is broken through Liz's faithfulness that I think are wrong.

thewolf88
That's why I think he has to go back after his one-day 10 year visit. It's the people who think the curse is broken through Liz's faithfulness that I think are wrong.
I completely agree.

JMaX

Ditto

Mistypirate

Wrong Surreal..Terry was talking about The Flying Dutchman opera. He wasn't talking about AWE. That is not how it goes.

The curse cannot be broken. Will is bound to his ship for eternity. It doesn't matter if Liz is faithful, unfaithful, or dies his faith will always be the same.
You got the first thing right, DJ became all tentacly because he abandoned his job. Therefore, Will must respect the call or that is the same faith he will face IF he doesn't.

The only way he will be set free off the Dutchman is IF anyone stabs his heart. Will is immortal and theres nothing no one can do about it. And he will keep roaming the sees until judgment day or until the next contender stabs his heart.

Shadow0fabandit
Originally posted by Mistypirate
Wrong Surreal..Terry was talking about The Flying Dutchman opera. He wasn't talking about AWE. That is not how it goes.

The curse cannot be broken. Will is bound to his ship for eternity. It doesn't matter if Liz is faithful, unfaithful, or dies his faith will always be the same.
You got the first thing right, DJ became all tentacly because he abandoned his job. Therefore, Will must respect the call or that is the same faith he will face IF he doesn't.

The only way he will be set free off the Dutchman is IF anyone stabs his heart. Will is immortal and theres nothing no one can do about it. And he will keep roaming the sees until judgment day or until the next contender stabs his heart.

The writers clearly stated that if the Dutchmen Captain finds true love that is faithful to him, he will be set free. I can't wait to see this deleted scene in the DVD.

Shadow0fabandit
Originally posted by IheartPocky
It would be soo awesome if the had an extended version where they had those little important lines. And scenes..

It really all depends on the amount of money this movie makes total. More than likely there will be a pirates 4.

Surreal_44
Really? The quote I am thinking about states that Will is free at the end of his ten years of service. When it Wordplayer comes back on line on Monday I'll look for the quote.

What I recall is that a girl asked Terry if Will was free at the end of the ten years, because that was her conclusion from the film, and he said, that yes, Will was free after ten years.

Then someone else posted, demanding to know who would captain the ship then, and Terry said he didn't know, Calypso might not even know, but it's not that hard to figure out that since Will isn't captain any longer, someone new would take over.

ALSO, Terry said that in no way should we think that Will and Liz would just be content to not see each other for ten years, that there's a good chance they bent the rules or maybe even Liz found a way to go to the Land of the Dead to see and/or get help from Will.

Again, it's not an exact quote because Wordplayer is currently down for the weekend. Just wait, on Monday I'll find it. big grin

willofthewisp
That's great for the two of them and their kid, it's just....why wasn't the audience clued into that? The whole of the movie works well and gives us this almost tragic ending. Then we wait so long after the credits for some closure.

Okay, if T&T say Will is freed after 10 years, that's wonderful. Liz doesn't have to be without her husband, Will doesn't have to be without his wife, and Will Jr (because he went without a name) gets both parents. But I have one question: who is the captain of the Dutchman? Based on the information given to us by the film and without doing any detective work at all, I'd guess he appointed his dad to do it.

Surreal_44
^^ Unless he saved James and at the end of ten years makes him captain. Shhh, it's my fantasy and until they prove me wrong I'm clinging to it. laughing

But seriously, the biggest problem with this film was the editing. It felt like they cut scenes in order to allow for more action sequences, and although it's an action film, they needed to give people a bit more information. This is not the writers' faults, and I blame Jerry and Gore for not choosing more wisely what scenes to cut and which ones they should have left in.

willofthewisp
Yes, editing is to blame.

Ditte3
^^ Unless he saved James and at the end of ten years makes him captain. Shhh, it's my fantasy and until they prove me wrong I'm clinging to it. laughing

But seriously, the biggest problem with this film was the editing. It felt like they cut scenes in order to allow for more action sequences, and although it's an action film, they needed to give people a bit more information. This is not the writers' faults, and I blame Jerry and Gore for not choosing more wisely what scenes to cut and which ones they should have left in. Yes I agree.There were too many actions.

fann2k
I thought Will died after DJ stabbed him? That is why Jack used Will's hand to stab the heart as becoming the captain of the FD is the only way for him to prevent death? If thats the case after the 10 years curse won't he be dead.. again? Or he could be alive.. without a heart.

Ditte3
The writers clearly stated that if the Dutchmen Captain finds true love that is faithful to him, he will be set free. I can't wait to see this deleted scene in the DVD. I'm sorry to say but even if TnT said that because this opinion didn't appear in the movie it doesn't mean anything.

Surreal_44
fann2k Will died after he stabbed the heart. Technically he was captain at the time, so when the curse is lifted, he will be alive.

Small details, eh? laughing

Ditte3: It is implied in the film that Will is going to be free in ten years. When people questioned TnT on the board, they were thrilled that people understood what was being said in the film, since the one line that explained how the curse could be broken ended up on the cutting room floor.

The curse is broken. big grin It's implied, TnT confirm it...so that's how it is.

Of course, in the world of fandom, you are free to choose to ignore that, just like I cheerfully disregard the fact that Will and Jack are not in love with each other. big grin Ah, blissful fandomness...

Mistypirate
I feel the need to clarify this 10 yr old thing. Unfortunately the curse is not broken. Anyways do any of yous remember Pirates Life Fo ? He used to visit this site he worked for the production of Pirates of the Caribbean. And you all know that he is a VERY reliable source. Well He was really nice to clarify over at Tasty Pirates the 10 yr rule..

TP: 1st - is Davy only cursed because he stopped doing the duty he was entrusted w/ OR is it because his love wasn't faithful to him
TP : OR
TP : is it both?
PLFM : It was all explained in the film. The Flying Dutchman is a ship that brings people 'over to the other side' once they die. Davey is cursed with the tenticles because he stopped bringing the souls over because his love wasnt there to meet with him at the 10 year mark
TP : but can he ever be free of the Dutchman?
PLFM : nope. Unless his heart is destroyed
TP : What happens if (while alive) she would not be there (after the 1st 10 years) - I'm assuming she will die (like all of us humans do) at some point - what then?
TP : That's where we're all stuck right now.
PLFM : It doesnt matter is Liz dies or is unfaithful to him. If he continues to ferry souls to the other side then he is fine. He is just immortal. He wont ever change he just can only come on land every 10 years
TP : AHHH. THANK YOU!
TP : But then - who looks after the heart...
TP : If she's faithful I'd assume her descendents. If she's not then?
PLFM : Whoever he wants to, if he is able to get to it. If he comes on land and the next day Liz dies....the heart sits wherever she had it for 10 years. He better hope no one comes across it and ****s with it
TP : LOL
TP : Ohhhhhhhhhhhh BARBOSSA! We have a project for you!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Just kidding - well maybe not....)
TP : Yep, I've officially lost it at this point.
TP : Up to explaining why the green flash accompanies the Dutchman at the end when it didn't in DMC or throughout AWE or do we need to save that one for another day since you need to get ready & well - see above....
PLFM : The flash is there not because of the dutchman. Has nothing to do with the dutchman.
PLFM : The flash signifies a soul being reutned to earth. Will is coming to visit and he is technically 'returning'. Its just symbolism at that point.

I am not making this up, you can ask PLF if you see him around. Will is bound to his ship for eternity and thats how it is. I hope this clarifies things to everyone.

jdl1224
okay you're really going to kill me... :]

he said, "It doesnt matter is Liz dies or is unfaithful to him. If he continues to ferry souls to the other side then he is fine. He is just immortal. He wont ever change he just can only come on land every 10 years"

those are 2 negatives. so if liz DOES stay faithful, does that or does that not mean the curse is broken? lol.

again, i'm going to get slaughtered now, aren't i?

willofthewisp
Well, you can look at it as being that faithfulness has nothing to do with it. That if a wonderful, rational, noble guy is the captain of the FD, he would stay the captain and do his job, possibly finding love with someone else.

Or, you can look at it this way. The lover's faithfulness can release the captain. This raises the question of where another captain comes from, but it can make things all better.

Surreal_44
Mistypirate, I am going to say this for the last freakin' time, the WRITERS (with more insiders knowledge of the film than even Pirates life fo) have stated that Will is free.

http://www.wordplayer.com/forums/moviesarc08/index.cgi?read=98679

You can choose to say that of course, a person who hires extras knows far better than the writers on how the curse works, but don't you think that's silly?

If you want to know how then a new captain is chosen, the answer is simple, according to Ted:

http://www.wordplayer.com/forums/movies/index.cgi?read=99678

I like pirates life fo, but I wouldn't presume that he knows more than the writers. Again, you can choose to ignore what they say, if it makes you feel better for some reason, but the fact is that the curse is broken.

willofthewisp
Surreal, I don't think people are convincing themselves Will isn't free to satisfy themselves. I think it's just a point of confusion in the movie and people want to get some closure that the film itself doesn't offer.

Surreal_44
The film does offer it though. stick out tongue It's not blatantly stated, but it's there, just like a lot of other things. wink

LovelyOne
OK..

I think he's set free after 10 years.

and what Terry said is accurate.

someone who knows a lot about the movie suggested that to me once...I kinda forgot about it but I just rememered it..

LovelyOne
PS what did they say?? I'm still banned from that site..they were going to un-ban me but I think Terry told them not too...I kept saying spoilers to try and wind them up a bit..to contradict what they were saying to confuse people with their double meanings and I think it ticked him off a whole bunch LMAO

I said stuff like "Tia seems a bit CRABBY to me"

and

"i wonder if will and Jack will settle down with a nice son" LMAO

Ditte3
it wasn't shown to us in the movie that Will would be free of his duty after ten years,and it wasn't said that Davy would have been free from his duty if Calypso would hav been faithful.I'm sorry.It's not the same story of Richard Wagners:Flying Dutchman,and not Oddissey.They got their ideas from this opera and this epic,but that doesn't mean ending the same way.If Will should be free of his duty then it would have been in the film.

Ericadawn
There was one line in the film in the brig scene between Davy and Calypso where it was mentioned that Calypso hadn't been there and Davy asked her why because if she had been there, then he would have been free of his duty and they could have been together.

Ditte3
Oh,next time I see the movie I will listen carefully

PirateDiva
yes to be honest i dont get where they say it either....I just came back from watching it and they dont say it or imply it!

Tia, Davy, Gibbs, Bootstrap even Jack all have lines about this 10 year ordeal/green flash...an none of them say that after 10 years the person who stabbs the heart will be set free if their true love waits for them..."The Dutchman must always have a Captain!" "1 day ashore, 10 years at sea it's a steep price to pay for what just been done." -Bootstrap

"10 years i looked after the souls who died at sea, for 10 years i did the job that u charged me with, but after 10 years u were not there. Why were u not there?"- Davy Jones

I dont know....i still dont hear it!

Ditte3
I didn't hear it either.

Surreal_44
It's implied...*sigh*

Follow the conversation. For ten years, DJ sailed, just as he promised he would. He went to land so that they could finally be together (implied: as in be together forever), but she was not there.

Her faithlessness forced him to return to sea for another ten years.

Tia: It's not in my nature to be faithful. Would you love me if I was anything but what I am? << DJ did in fact understand that, and realized he was doomed to sail the seas for forever.

DJ went back to sea, betrayed her, cut out his heart and decided to never love again.

Not everything has to be said straight-out in order to be understood. TnT wanted people to use their heads, like seeing how subtle the relationship development is in this film.

If you actually look at it, it's not that hard to follow, even if it isn't straight-out said. Lots of things are implied in this film; if you can see love for Lizzie in Jack's eyes and love for Jack in Liz's eyes, then I'm sure you can figure out that the curse is broken. stick out tongue

Ditte3
Ok,but Tia also said in the begining of the film that Davy recieved eternal life to do his duty.

GGS
Originally posted by Ditte3
Ok,but Tia also said in the begining of the film that Davy recieved eternal life to do his duty.

I'm sure it said he was 'Immortal' to do his duty immortal being the key word as you cannot be killed except by the heart thing. So he could do his duty without being killed and when the ten years of doing his duty was up he was meant to be with the woman he loved but she couldn't keep her side of the bargain which obviously drove him to his betrayal of her and obvious madness which kept him immortal seeing the curse was sealed.

Surreal_44
Finally got around to finding the links from the explanation from Terry.

Question:

http://www.wordplayer.com/forums/moviesarc08/index.cgi?read=98699

and response by Terry:

http://www.wordplayer.com/forums/moviesarc08/index.cgi?read=98721

Hope that helps a little more. big grin

D_Shiznitdog
Thanks for clearing all of this up for me everyone. So, after Will is free of the curse...is he still immortal? Is his heart still in the chest or will the surgically implant it back?

Also, what was up with Calypso and Davy? At the end of the movie, did they love or hate each other?

Surreal_44
Ted does not think Will gets his heart back, although it's not 'canon' to say such a thing. He has asked for people to discuss it and see if we can come up with an answer.

Personally, since it's all so magical, I think Will could in fact get his heart back (why not?), but then again, there's something strangely romantic about literally giving his heart to Elizabeth and her literally keeping it safe for him.

As for DJ and Calypso...DJ died and was 'taken' by Calypso. What happens after that? Dunno. big grin Lots of fodder for fanfiction and theories though, isn't there? big grin

lovethemtigers
It's implied...*sigh*

Follow the conversation. For ten years, DJ sailed, just as he promised he would. He went to land so that they could finally be together (implied: as in be together forever), but she was not there.

Her faithlessness forced him to return to sea for another ten years.

Tia: It's not in my nature to be faithful. Would you love me if I was anything but what I am? << DJ did in fact understand that, and realized he was doomed to sail the seas for forever.

DJ went back to sea, betrayed her, cut out his heart and decided to never love again.

Not everything has to be said straight-out in order to be understood. TnT wanted people to use their heads, like seeing how subtle the relationship development is in this film.

If you actually look at it, it's not that hard to follow, even if it isn't straight-out said. Lots of things are implied in this film; if you can see love for Lizzie in Jack's eyes and love for Jack in Liz's eyes, then I'm sure you can figure out that the curse is broken. stick out tongue

yes...just like it was implied in DMC that Elizabeth was thinking about Will with a smile on her face when Norrington says to her "it's a curious thing, there was a time I would have given anything for you to look like that while thinking about me."....

and I guess it was implied that Will was what Liz wanted most when she got frustrated with the compass twice in DMC when the audience was led to believe because of camera play...that the compass was pointing at Jack...you have to be really smart to read between all those lines..and study the film exclusively to realize that when Liz held the compass and it pointed to Jack...it was actually pointing to the chest...or perhaps to Jack because jack was the way to find Will, whom she wanted most...even after Jack had just went through all the trouble of telling her that it points to the thing you want most in this world and very seductively played around with her in that scene.....

and just like it was implied that Liz was killing jack to save will when she moves in for a second kiss at the end of DMC....

and just like it was implied that Liz's dress sinking to the bottom of the sea didn't actually signify that her life with Will was slowly drinfting away..but just meant that her dress sunk to the bottom of the sea, I wonder why the camera had such focus on that dress....

oh, i am so full of it...

Surreal_44
lovethemtigers there is a difference between understanding a conversation and reading too much into various scenes.

I'm not going to argue shipping with you, because Elizabeth chose who she wanted, she stuck by him, and while she and Jack may have had some sort of attraction in DMC, she managed to kill it for both of them when she killed Jack.

Murder tends to ruin relationships, ya know?

hkitty
I don't think the movie implied that Will was free of the curse at all. It was my understanding, as well as that of those who saw it with me, that Will would have ten years at sea and one day on land to do whatever he pleases. Of course, it would seem that he could bypass this rule simply by standing in a bucket of water. Maybe they could do their thing in a bathtub? Oh well, I'm getting off track. I'm not dense, so if there was such an implication, it was too obscure.

On a related topic, why did Will have to have his heart cut out? Originally that wasn't part of the job description, Davy Jones did that so he wouldn't have to feel pain or whatever, it was his own doing. So why did Will have to before he could be Captain?

Also, what kind of curse is being turned into a fish person? The cursed pirates in COTBP could feel no pleasure from material things, but all that happened to Davy Jones is that he became ugly. I mean, I wouldn't want to be like that, but I hardly think it matters to Davy Jones.

Mistypirate
Exactly hkitty, It is very clearly stated in the movie. He will not be free, no matter if Liz is or isn't faithful to him. Will's faith is to sail the sees as Capt. of the FD until judgment day, that is until some one stabs the heart. This movie is not the same as the Flying Dutchman opera, if it is that would be plagiarism. TnT know better than that. They are just playing with people over at wordplayer. They are saying the things that people want to hear.

willofthewisp
The great thing (and sucky thing) about movies is that no matter what the writer and director's intentions, all that matters is how the fans interpret it. What they intended really doesn't matter in the long run. If you believe that after 10 years Will is free, that's great. I like happy endings and I would rather he be free after that time to enjoy his wife and child and they enjoy him. It also lets me fantasize about my trio going on more adventures.

If you believe Will is fated to sail forever, 10 years on, one day off, then that's great, too. It's a statement to true love and dedication and is the bittersweet ending befitting of an epic. The writers say Will is freed, but you don't have to believe that if you got something different out of it. They aren't perfect. The world is interpretative, the film world more so. See the movie and make your own educated analysis.

Flying High
im guessing the dvds are going to be handy to work all this stuff out smile

willofthewisp
I can't wait for the director's commentary from T&T. They are so fun to listen to. I'm dying for their explanations.

lovethemtigers
yes...i'm just a little confused by all of this....if Will is free of the curse...then who is the Captain of the Flying Dutchman..because the Dutchman must have Captain..and if there's no heart, there's no Captain...so how can Will be freed from his curse...I think the green flash just indicated that for ONE DAY he can return to the land of the living...every 10 years.....

but as I stated in another thread......how can Will enjoy the touch and love of a woman as an immortal...but Barbossa and his crew coudln't in COTBP.....because he clearly tells Elizabeth that as an immortal they are neither dead nor living..they can't enjoy the pleasures of life..like eating, drinking and the touch/love of a woman.......

And Misty...you are right.....when Tia Dalma explains the life/curse of Davy Jones to Will and Jack and the bunch in DMC in her cabin...she clearly said that "He carved him heart Out" because the pain of living without her was more than he could bear.....so.....Why does Will have to carve his heart out..why......i just don't get it.....
See, and then on the other hand...if someone stabs Will's heart..then he is truly Dead...like Davy Jones....

None of this makes any sense to me....

Ditte3
I was wondering about these things too

willofthewisp
Barbossa couldn't feel because his curse wasn't that of immortality. It was a cursed immortal life. He can't die, but part of the curse is that he goes unsatisfied. The curse prevents him from savoring food and drink, feeling warm sun, raindrops, or being able to orgasm in sex. Will's curse is just that he's immortal and he has to find the souls of people who have died at sea. At least that's what I think.

IheartPocky
I can't wait for the director's commentary from T&T. They are so fun to listen to. I'm dying for their explanations.

lol.. like.. I think this.. No I think it was the other way.. Well I think Jack loved Lizzie and- Shut up, Norrington is about to die! This scene is spectacular. I think Davy kills him. No you can clearly see that bootstrap kills him. No no no.. it's just how you interpret it all..

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.