300 Spartans vs 300 Roman Legionnaires

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

braz
King Leonidas and 300 Spartans from the movie, 300 go up against Maximus and 300 Roman Legionnaires from Gladiator.

The fight is at Thermopylae where the 300 Spartans made their last stand.

Both given steel weaponry and armor including: swords, shields, thrusting spears, plates and helmets.
The Romans also have bow and flaming arrows and 5 cavalry-men, the rest are on foot.

His Airness
bump

Darth Martin
Leonidas and 300 for the win. The phalanx shopuld disable the arrows and overall the spartans seemed tobe more skilled in their movie.

braz
^Agreed, even though the Romans were ahead of their time, especially with strategy, the movie Spartans were just way too impressive.

DARKLORDCAEDUS
The Spartans

Darth Martin
But also remember when you make these 300 threads, the Spartans in the 300 movie are depicted well above their real abilities. The Gladiator film didn't do that. 300 the film was based on a comic book. So you know they'll amped beyond they're normal abilities.

Caps Conscience
It's been done and the legioneres wint because they have better weopons and tactics.

Soljer
Exactly.

You're pitting three hundred comic book bad asses versus three hundred real-life-ish bad asses.

Who the hell do you think'll win?

KharmaDog
Whoever held the defensive position would have a distinct advantage, but 100 well trained roman legionaries would defeat 300 well trained spartans. The romans were more tactically advanced, more adaptable and a more cohesive unit.

As much as I enjoy comics and movies, I suggest that a few people put down their comic books and dvds, pick up a book, and learn something.

braz
Originally posted by Caps Conscience
It's been done and the legioneres wint because they have better weopons and tactics.

Yeah, but dude, c'mon this is the movie 300, they were like mini metahumans.

Stupid Rookie
Originally posted by KharmaDog
Whoever held the defensive position would have a distinct advantage, but 100 well trained roman legionaries would defeat 300 well trained spartans. The romans were more tactically advanced, more adaptable and a more cohesive unit.

As much as I enjoy comics and movies, I suggest that a few people put down their comic books and dvds, pick up a book, and learn something.
Exactly, Roman legions for the win.

braz
Do you think the spear throw thing would work?

playa1258
Romans would stomp the spartans. They would just outflank the phalanx.

braz
Originally posted by playa1258
Romans would stomp the spartans. They would just outflank the phalanx.

Theyre at Thermopylae which is a narrow pass, so that probably isnt gunna happen, unless they find the goat path themselves or w/e.

KharmaDog
Originally posted by braz
Theyre at Thermopylae which is a narrow pass, so that probably isnt gunna happen, unless they find the goat path themselves or w/e.

If the Spartans were facing Romans at thermopylae, and the Spartans held the defensive position, the spartans would still lose, it would only take a while longer.

A roman General (even a centurion) would not attack such a fortified position in a head on attack. Chances are they'd pepper them with ballistae or onagers. Failing that they's often sling bolts at the knees below the shields or heave javelins into the ranks iuntil the had a numerical advantage.

No matter how you cut it, the Roman legionaries would be too cohesive a unit and too well versed in tactics for the Spartan to have a chance.

Soljer
Indeed, if these were real Spartans versus real Romans.

However, it isn't. It's the 300 Spartans versus real Romans.

Meaning? The Romans can't keep up. They never had bullet-time on their side. stick out tongue.

braz
If the Spartans were facing Romans at thermopylae, and the Spartans held the defensive position, the spartans would still lose, it would only take a while longer.

A roman General (even a centurion) would not attack such a fortified position in a head on attack. Chances are they'd pepper them with ballistae or onagers. Failing that they's often sling bolts at the knees below the shields or heave javelins into the ranks iuntil the had a numerical advantage.

No matter how you cut it, the Roman legionaries would be too cohesive a unit and too well versed in tactics for the Spartan to have a chance.

Yeah, that spear throw tactic the Romans had where they throw it and stick it in the enemy's shield and then the spears bend because theyre so long(6 meters- copied from the Macedonians mad ) and it renders their shields useless, u think that would work against the movie Spartans..?

KharmaDog
Yeah, that spear throw tactic the Romans had where they throw it and stick it in the enemy's shield and then the spears bend

Roman pilums were two pieces and broke on impact so they could not be thrown back at the romans.

braz
Roman pilums were two pieces and broke on impact so they could not be thrown back at the romans.

Ohh ok. But if thats all it does, I dont think thats gunna stop the 300 Spartans. They could just break it off with their spear like they did all the arrows sticking out of their shields from the Persians.

ragesRemorse
Considering that the romans essentially copied The greeks in almost ever aspect of military awarness from strategy to weaponry, the battle would most likely come down to technology. The Romans would win because of this. The Romans perfected the short sword as well as the curbed shield that the Greeks were noted for.

One of the reasons that the Spartans lasted so long at the gates of fire was due to their phalanx and enviorment ( i say its 100% due to the enviorment though) Roman primus pilus Centurians utilized the phalanx tactic quite often and would know how to defend against and attack it. THe romans also had an exceptional navy, Their navy would be able flank the rear of the spartans. I forget who it was from the Spartans, but it was the man commanding the navy and not leonidas that caused the spartans to last so long, he was able to stave off the persian flank, when his defenses fell, so did the Spartans, and the Romans technology would most likely make short work of the Spartans ships.

If we are on the other hand, talking about an all out battle against Sparta's 300 best and Romes 300 best It could go either way, but i still say the romans short swords and shields win the battle. Both sides would most likely be equally conditioned and dsciplined

Soljer
This is a COMIC BOOK versus forum.

At least one of the characters has to be from a comic book. The original poster stated that the 300 were the comic book versions.

You're trying to use real-life Spartans in this battle. That's not how it rolls.

In the comic and film, the 300 barely used the phalanx. They were skirmishing everywhere, and they were far stronger, and far faster than anyone from Gladiator could dream of being.

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by Soljer
This is a COMIC BOOK versus forum.

At least one of the characters has to be from a comic book. The original poster stated that the 300 were the comic book versions.

You're trying to use real-life Spartans in this battle. That's not how it rolls.

In the comic and film, the 300 barely used the phalanx. They were skirmishing everywhere, and they were far stronger, and far faster than anyone from Gladiator could dream of being.

well i was going from the movie 300, considering the comic creator was co director and consultant that should count If we are talking about the movies, then my previous post is valid.

Even still, if we are sticking primarily with the 300 comic spartans The romans in Gladiator had BIG ASS fire ball hurling catapults....that would put the spartans shit through the grinder. BIG ASS FIRE BALL hurling catapults ---half neked men huddled together in between two mountains who wins hmmm..... stick out tongue

Soljer
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
well i was going from the movie 300, considering the comic creator was co director and consultant that should count If we are talking about the movies, then my previous post is valid.

Even still, if we are sticking primarily with the 300 comic spartans The romans in Gladiator had BIG ASS fire ball hurling catapults....that would put the spartans shit through the grinder. BIG ASS FIRE BALL hurling catapults ---half neked men huddled together in between two mountains who wins hmmm..... stick out tongue

Did the original post say that this was the 300 versus three hundred of maximus' men bringing 'big ass fire ball hurling catapults'?

That's like assuming Batman brings the batmobile to his fight with Captain America.

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by Soljer
Did the original post say that this was the 300 versus three hundred of maximus' men bringing 'big ass fire ball hurling catapults'?

That's like assuming Batman brings the batmobile to his fight with Captain America.

The post said 300 roman legionares from Gladiator. THe only roman soldiers in the movie had big ass fire ball hurling catapults. There was no more specification than that. ITs not my fault theRomans took to war with them, both archers, and Catapults. And spartans only took spears and swords lol

braz
No catapults/trebuchets any of that: All are strictly only armed with either: Spears, swords and shields or bow and arrow. NO long bows(I dont think they existed back then but just in case they did, theyre not allowed)

AOR
I still would think the Romans would win based primarily on that the Romans were the sum product of the Spartan/Greek culture (not entirely of course, but you get my point). The sum is always greater then the parts that compose it.

---However----

The fact that the 300 Spartans were deified in the movie/comic books and the roman legionares were not, then hands down the 300 spartans win. I say this based on the media projections of the two groups, not on the historical data presented.

braz
wink thumb up

braz
Bump

Viktor-Greeks
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
Considering that the romans essentially copied The greeks in almost ever aspect of military awarness from strategy to weaponry, the battle would most likely come down to technology. The Romans would win because of this. The Romans perfected the short sword as well as the curbed shield that the Greeks were noted for.

One of the reasons that the Spartans lasted so long at the gates of fire was due to their phalanx and enviorment ( i say its 100% due to the enviorment though) Roman primus pilus Centurians utilized the phalanx tactic quite often and would know how to defend against and attack it. THe romans also had an exceptional navy, Their navy would be able flank the rear of the spartans. I forget who it was from the Spartans, but it was the man commanding the navy and not leonidas that caused the spartans to last so long, he was able to stave off the persian flank, when his defenses fell, so did the Spartans, and the Romans technology would most likely make short work of the Spartans ships.

If we are on the other hand, talking about an all out battle against Sparta's 300 best and Romes 300 best It could go either way, but i still say the romans short swords and shields win the battle. Both sides would most likely be equally conditioned and dsciplined

Viktor-Greeks
300 greeks vs 300 roman legions or gladiators

300 GREEKS VS 300 ROMANS no cataputls and technology!
ALL spartans was trained every day,all the day.the romans copied the spartan weapons that was a little knife that is short and good to ''edge''a human leg hand or the HEAD they was very strategical the roman and all nations history don't says what strategies was doing the greeks when was this war....we was doing little attacks to persia and to their bases we was stealing them food and some was ....going to their ''houses''.Greeks was got many generals that was
very good on strategy ....like alkibiadis,8emistoklis,leonidas and somewhere 1000 more(generals i am bored to say and people)

Scuzz2.0
if its the movie versions the spartans stomp
in real life the spartans still stomp. i have read many a book on both romans and spartans plus my mom is a history teacher so i have been listening to these stories growing up. the spartans were the best army of that kind in history. no exceptions

Wild Shadow
Originally posted by Scuzz2.0
in real life the spartans still stomp. i have read many a book on both romans and spartans plus my mom is a history teacher so i have been listening to these stories growing up. the spartans were the best army of that kind in history. no exceptions ugh3

all that and that is what you learned about military history?

the ninjak
This thread compares mythological men vs real historical soldiers.
Comic wise the 300 Spartans became martial artists during their ordeal, perfectly harmonised with the weapons they had.
This fight is like comparing Bruce Lee and Shang Chi......it's stupid.

Mshinu
King Leonidas and 300 Spartans from the movie, 300 go up against Maximus and 300 Roman Legionnaires from Gladiator.

Leonidas in a horrible blootbathing stomp.
Real world battle would be a techtnical slaughter by Maximus because of strategy and far superior equipment.

D_Dude1210
MA Master Spartans with uber spear throwing and 10 foot leaping skills win this.

Lord_Talron
Romans stArve them out

Enyalus
Indeed.
in real life the spartans still stomp. i have read many a book on both romans and spartans plus my mom is a history teacher so i have been listening to these stories growing up. the spartans were the best army of that kind in history. no exceptions
I'm in grad school with a focus on ancient military history and I can tell you that by far, the Roman Legion would have mauled the Spartan Phalanx. Badly. The Spartans were the most dominating military force of their era, bar none. But that was 500+ years before Marcus Aurelius' legions that the Gladiator soldiers were based on.

Spartan military dominance ended with the Battle of Leuktra in 371 BC, more than 400 years before Gladiator takes place. Any elite mixed force army, like the Macedonian phalanx or the Roman legion after it, would beat the Spartans. Even at Thermopylae.

Denny Crane
Any logical argument based on small unit tactics takes a back seat to the fact that the Romans have Goddamn Maximus Decimus Meridius on their side.

That guy took on a bloodlusted Joaquin Phoenix, the same Joaquin Phoenix who singlehandedly destroyed an alien attack in Signs (ok not really).

Crowe for the win

Mshinu
Originally posted by Denny Crane
Any logical argument based on small unit tactics takes a back seat to the fact that the Romans have Goddamn Maximus Decimus Meridius on their side.

That guy took on a bloodlusted Joaquin Phoenix, the same Joaquin Phoenix who singlehandedly destroyed an alien attack in Signs (ok not really).

That fight had my BS meter off the scale. Beating up extraterestrial mutant childnappers with a baseball bat ftw
The film sucked Blob balls too btw

Bladewind
Even though I liked the movie I have to admit that the romans win because of superior tactics. (Plus the romans have armour)

Scuzz2.0
the spartans were just better. period.
they were drafted into the army when they were 7 years old, then they had to fend for them selves (steel food clothes etc to toughen them up) fighting is all the spartans know, it is there entire life. the spartans are by far the best soldiers in history! and these 300 hundred spartans happen to be leonidas personal guard, which means that they were the very best of the spartans.

romans can join the army when they are 18 (11 years behind the spartans) and they are well trained but they are no were near as dedicated as the spartans. legionaires had a life outside the army. the romans won wars because of there numbers tactics and tech. but if you take that away and put 300 romans against the spartans they get slaughtered. what superior tech would a legionaire have that would help him in close combat? to make it more even it would have to be the praetorian guard. they are the emperors personal guard and are the best roman soldiers, but even then the spartans are to dedicated and much better trained. plus they have more exp.

Martian_mind
I love the academic penis measuring that occured in this thread.

"My mum's a history teacher" laughing out loud

Scuzz2.0
Originally posted by Martian_mind
I love the academic penis measuring that occured in this thread.

"My mum's a history teacher" laughing out loud

i know. i tried to edit that bit out but by the time i realized how stupid it sounded my 15 minute editing window was closed embarrasment

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.