Shatterpoint

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

exanda kane
Bit of a rubbish concept, dontcha think?

Gideon
Originally posted by exanda kane
Bit of a rubbish concept, dontcha think?

Compliments of Stover, whose typical over-analytical assessment and approach to writing often substitutes bullshit philosophy for a decent read; seriously, if you've read his SW novels, he attempts to find philosophy in everything to make it much more dramatic than it actually is.

exanda kane
The basic, intuitive ability to realise a critical moment approaching is not a rare and mysterious gift, and the fact that it has been coveted as one in the Star Wars universe is really testimony to the poor quality of writing.

I think it's a fair assumption to make that Mace was an attention seaker. First and foremost, the matter of his purple lightsaber. Way to stick out from the pack. Secondly, this cock and bull Shatterpoint theory and lastly, he sacrifices his colleagues in RotS to allow for a dramatic showdown between him and the charming Head of State.

It makes me laugh, browsing through the torrent of teenage angst that is the Versus forum, where people are utilising Shatterpoint in an argument. The ability for the human mind to prioritise events in order of significance is hardly going to tip the balance in an epic cgi-ninja duel now is it.

Count Makashi
Originally posted by exanda kane
I think it's a fair assumption to make that Mace was an attention seaker. First and foremost, the matter of his purple lightsaber. Way to stick out from the pack. Secondly, this cock and bull Shatterpoint theory and lastly, he sacrifices his colleagues in RotS to allow for a dramatic showdown between him and the charming Head of State.

What? He sacrifices his colleges, right, because he wrote the script of ROTS. They were just surprised that Sidious was that powerful and he launched his attack so quick. And Tin Seasse and Agen Kolar underestimated him, thats why they went out so quick. Mace is one of the most noble Jedi first, who helps others first, then thinks about his safety.

exanda kane
Originally posted by Count Makashi
What? He sacrifices his colleges, right, because he wrote the script of ROTS. They were just surprised that Sidious was that powerful and he launched his attack so quick. And Tin Seasse and Agen Kolar underestimated him, thats why they went out so quick. Mace is one of the most noble Jedi first, who helps others first, then thinks about his safety.

Well, granted I wasn't being serious and my accusations of Mace were genuinely there to amuse myself more than anyone, but yes your completely right.

Still, can you not appreciate how ridiculous this Shatterpoint concept is? It's almost (that's right, almost) as effective as the grand ol' power of hindsight. That's like remembering the day of 9/11 (touchy subject yes, but a good example), witnessing both planes hit the tower and, just before it collapses, saying "Oh my, this is going to be a slightly important event in history!".

Count Makashi
The difference is, the event has to happen first(9/11) so the people can say it is going to be a important event in history, while Mace could possibly see that, before the incident even happens(maybe by touching the building, or just seeing it).
Heres another question, do you think that they invented this ability Shaterpoint, just to explain why Mace defeated Sidious, you know, he saw a weakness in his technique and explored it.

exanda kane
Well, I have not read enough of the EU novels of the PT era to really give an answer to that question England, St.George and his drunken squire would be proud of.

But, I do understand the difference you speak of; a form of premonition, but to me it seems utterly generic and contrived, even for the Star Wars universe, where the whole narrative structure relies on the power of Chance.

I'm torn for an answer to your question really. I've never really held up to any factors really giving Mace an edge (being Vaapad and Shatterpoint) other than his overall prowless as a Jedi Master. To casual viewers of the PT, people like me, I guess there is no need for an explaination. I merely assume it happened because its damned well more dramatic that way!

But, lovely, quaint LA obviously decided they could make some money off of Mace's novelty, oops, I mean popularity and makes some money. I can't insult your intelligence, everyone knows the rest of that sentence etc etc. It probably was concieved in fore thought, thinking fans would inevitably come to the conclusion that Sidious must be able to beat mace.

Your opinion?

And you think it

BlaxicanHydra
Excuse this assumption if you find it offensive, but you generally dislike anything that has to do with the PT, don't you?

exanda kane
Why would I be offended by that?
The only thing I am midly frustrated about is that you choose to ignore the topic of Shatterpoint, or even give an opinion on it's ridiculous nature.

As a rule I try to keep an open mind, but it seems my response to the PT generally is not positive. If this "Shatterpoint" theory was brought about by anything else, I'd generally be laughing my head off tat that too.

BlaxicanHydra
The reason I choose not to give my opinion is because, really, it's not needed and will only lead to bickering. Shatterpoint happens to be my favourite Star Wars EU novel written so far, but your feelings seem to be the exact opposites. I could sit here and argue with you on why exactly I think it's s great, and why exactly you think it sucks, but why bother?

exanda kane
I was not on about the novel, but the ridiulous philosphy behind its concept. In fact, the novel was enjoyable enough. Well, I say enjoyable, but only for what it was: a poorly written Star Wars EU novel.

exanda kane
No one likes EU books enough to complain anymore?

BlaxicanHydra
I actually think we all like the EU books enough to not complain about them. The only EU books that sucked, imo, are the NJO ones.

And RoDV and Dark Rendezvous.

Count Makashi
What, Dark Rendezvous is by far the best SW book i ever read, your tripping.

exanda kane
Originally posted by BlaxicanHydra
I actually think we all like the EU books enough to not complain about them. The only EU books that sucked, imo, are the NJO ones.

Well, with all respect, read some better books! smokin'

BlaxicanHydra
What, Dark Rendezvous is by far the best SW book i ever read, your tripping.

Nah, I've seen Count Dooku get his ass whooped enough in the movie, his getting his ass whooped by a green elf who at the same time was busy levitating a fat old women in the air just doesn't make it a good book.

Oh trust me, all Star Wars books are at the bottom of the heap compared to other literature. I'm a Sci-Fi guy, though, so it doesn't really matter how well the book is written as opposed to what it's all about.

All that aside, my favourite book ever written was the Lord of the Rings trilogy, and I'm enjoying the Silmarallion currently.

exanda kane
Eek. The majority of the science fiction I've touched has been really weak. Even some of Phillip K Dick's work is pretty foppish.

BlaxicanHydra

You have pretty high standards, don't you?

exanda kane
I'm sorry, but the majority of science fiction writing is thematically shallow. It can be superficial and generic, with little going on beneath the surface which demands a second or even third read.

If you enjoy science fiction novels, good for you, but the majority of them simply aren't for me.

dadudemon
exanda kane's lying he loves Science Fiction...he's on death sticks.

exanda kane
Blatantly...

Reality Cell
I didn't think it was possible to read a book and yet still so badly miss the main concept behind it. Oh well...

MasterAshenVor
I dont mean to sound ignorent but WHAT THE FREAKEN HELL IS SHATTERPOINT SUPPOST TO BE ANYWAY!

Alliance
Originally posted by Gideon
Compliments of Stover, whose typical over-analytical assessment and approach to writing often substitutes bullshit philosophy for a decent read; seriously, if you've read his SW novels, he attempts to find philosophy in everything to make it much more dramatic than it actually is.

I kind of like that about Stover.

exanda kane
Originally posted by Reality Cell
I didn't think it was possible to read a book and yet still so badly miss the main concept behind it. Oh well...

You're funny.

Originally posted by MasterAshenVor
I dont mean to sound ignorent but WHAT THE FREAKEN HELL IS SHATTERPOINT SUPPOST TO BE ANYWAY!

It's pretty much Mace having the ability to realise important moments before they happen, and attempt at act on them. First problem is that it's not unique for a Jedi to have premonitions. Second, it never seems to work as every pivotal moment passes Mace by, thirdly, he is never able to act on them, with the exception of one, where he failed. Lastly, any cretin could realise that the end of democracy in the galaxy would bbe a slightly critical moment.

Count Makashi
I don't know, why people have so much against Mace, he was awesome, not to mention, he was a badass.

BlaxicanHydra
Because his character was created in the PT no expression

Count Makashi
The PT is great, at least for me.

BlaxicanHydra
PT > OT to me, but a lo of people think the PT raped there childhood or some crap like that.

kamhal
Yeah, personally i think ROTS is the best film... But, who knows, i didn't grow up seeing the OT movies so i can't talk, lol.

Count Makashi
I think all of them are great.

MasterAshenVor
Well if Mace had Shatter Point he would know if he faced Sidious he would die right?

BlaxicanHydra
No, Shatterpoint is not like precognition, in any way really. Shatterpoint basically heightens your perception of the things around you/and or an object to reveal it's weaknesses, like he said in the first chapter, he could shatter a diamond with a tap of his finger by touching it on it's shatterpoint. That's also why he was able to literally punch droids into scrap metal in the CW cartoons.

Alliance
I don't know, why people have so much against Mace, he was awesome, not to mention, he was a badass.

..don't make me post it...

exanda kane
Originally posted by BlaxicanHydra
No, Shatterpoint is not like precognition, in any way really. Shatterpoint basically heightens your perception of the things around you/and or an object to reveal it's weaknesses, like he said in the first chapter, he could shatter a diamond with a tap of his finger by touching it on it's shatterpoint. That's also why he was able to literally punch droids into scrap metal in the CW cartoons.

And that warrents a novel? Please.

BlaxicanHydra
I never said it did, but it was still a good novel big grin

exanda kane
People's opinions of the book are a moot point in all fairness; slapping a fancy term on basic intuition skills is simply a ridiculous facade, and there's no yes or no to that.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.