Supreme Being, Supreme Reality?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Crimson Phoenix
Ok this is a little bit of a headf*ck so bear with me

One of the most common misconceptions about Hinduism is that there are loads of Gods. But the core belief is that there is one God (Brahman) which is essentially the supreme reality. So the reality we percieve is supposed to be an illusion (Maya), and once we attain moshka/nirvana, we will fully realise this supremem reality and be a part of it.

Now when i first hear this, i was a bit weirded out about how everything we se is supposed to be an illusion. But then i saw this documentary on reality and quantum physics, which stated that there are levels of reality that we canot percieve. Like, the reality incects percive is competely different to what we see. And that we cannot pervieve things in terms of infinity- we know the concept exist, but because our minds are finite, its impossible to fully picture it. Also, Our eyes revices several million (or maybe billion, cant remember the exact figure), yet our brain can only translate a few thousand of these signals. Makes you wonder what these other millions or billions of signals are.

What are your thoughts on this?

debbiejo
I know, isn't it cool!

fini
ahhh. Good point.

While your analysis is pretty good, the Illusion that they talk about is not one that we can see/not see

They are using the actual meaning of the word,
Illusion
1. An unreal image presented to the bodily or mental vision; a deceptive appearance; a false show; mockery; hallucination.

What the Illusion that they talk about is uselessness of worldly wants and needs in the longterm. We want that phone, that game, that car............. but how does it affect the well being of our soul? IT does not. All these things here on earth is of no importance to our soul. So while it is real to us, it is not real to our soul.

SO to tie in the fact that our soul doesn't need the stuff we see and want...... our brain also doesn't fully understand what we see and thus ultimately want. ....... pretty interesting huh?

Crimson Phoenix
Originally posted by fini
ahhh. Good point.

While your analysis is pretty good, the Illusion that they talk about is not one that we can see/not see

They are using the actual meaning of the word,
Illusion
1. An unreal image presented to the bodily or mental vision; a deceptive appearance; a false show; mockery; hallucination.

What the Illusion that they talk about is uselessness of worldly wants and needs in the longterm. We want that phone, that game, that car............. but how does it affect the well being of our soul? IT does not. All these things here on earth is of no importance to our soul. So while it is real to us, it is not real to our soul.

SO to tie in the fact that our soul doesn't need the stuff we see and want...... our brain also doesn't fully understand what we see and thus ultimately want. ....... pretty interesting huh?

Thats a good point. I always saw maya, not just physical illusion, but also mental illusion, like how you stated. The physical maya being everytday things that we see with our eyes, and mental maya, in which our everyday concious as been mixed with the physical illusion.

I find it so interesting how some of it parallels with quantum physics of today. These guys were really ahead of their time.

debbiejo
Quantum physics is really cool because it fits in with other spiritual practices and metaphysics.

inimalist
Originally posted by debbiejo
Quantum physics is really cool because it fits in with other spiritual practices and metaphysics.

no it doesn't

Crimson Phoenix

Yeah quantum physics is the weirdest and most interesting branch of science IMO. Especially when it gets into the subatomic level. For example, we all see things as solid matter, but if you look further, what is everything made up of? atoms. The atoms themselves are made up of elctron, protons and neutrons. But these are nat solid matter, they are probabilities of where a certain type of energy might be. So because of that, everything has a probablity, and literally, theres a probablity theat anything can happen- like me intantaneously appearing in you bedroom, or walking through a wall, though the probablity is infinitesimally small.

Goddess Kali
Atoms are not stationary...they rapidly move back and forth. Every solid object is composed of atoms which move back and forth at speeds we cannot sense.

Shakyamunison
We cannot understand the true nature of reality.

Goddess Kali
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
We cannot understand the true nature of reality.

we only have five senses wink

Give us a break...

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Goddess Kali
we only have five senses wink

Give us a break...

But we still are so delusional that we think we understand. wink

Goddess Kali
But we still are so delusional that we think we understand. wink

We have no control or true perception of actual reality, but we have total power over our own.

Shakyamunison
We have no control or true perception of actual reality, but we have total power over our own.

I don't understand. confused

Alliance

No it doesn't. You don't actually understand quantum physics. you understand New Age interpretations of it.

Robtard
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_Physics smile

Goddess Kali
I don't understand. confused

We can have control over our own realities, infact we create our own all the time through our perceptions.

Just because we don't know true reality, doesn't mean we can't trust it or feel comfortable with it.

Shakyamunison
We can have control over our own realities, infact we create our own all the time through our perceptions.

Just because we don't know true reality, doesn't mean we can't trust it or feel comfortable with it.

I'm not sure.

Goddess Kali
I'm not sure.

What are you unsure of ?

Shakyamunison
What are you unsure of ?

How I relate to the true nature of reality.

Goddess Kali
How I relate to the true nature of reality.

Do you trust reality, or do you fear it ?

Shakyamunison
Do you trust reality, or do you fear it ?

I don't understand it.

Goddess Kali
I don't understand it.

Does that make you uncomfortable with it ?

Shakyamunison
Does that make you uncomfortable with it ?

No. I just can't say this:

That requires a knowledge of reality that I do not have.

Crimson Phoenix
Well we can make our assumptions on what this "real" reality is. But i think we're a looong way of gaining any reall knowlege of it. And usually, the unkown is feared.

Goddess Kali
No. I just can't say this:

That requires a knowledge of reality that I do not have.

http://www.sgi-usa.org/buddhism/buddhismtoday/bc004.htm

http://www.sgi-usa.org/buddhism/buddhismtoday/bc016.htm

http://www.sgi-usa.org/buddhism/buddhismtoday/bc022.htm

I do not think you get my point. We create our own realities. Our own perceptions, and our own translations of the external world. There is nothing wrong with that.

We do it all the time without realizing it. You even said yourself, what you beleive becomes real to you. Therefore, because of your belief about reality, you create your own.

We can choose our outlooks on life. We can choose to be happy, or to allow ourselves to suffer in ignorance and dispair.

You do not have to allow yourself to suffer over things not worth suffering. You also do not have to see the world through the biases and eyes of others, instead see it through your own.

Shakyamunison
http://www.sgi-usa.org/buddhism/buddhismtoday/bc004.htm

http://www.sgi-usa.org/buddhism/buddhismtoday/bc016.htm

http://www.sgi-usa.org/buddhism/buddhismtoday/bc022.htm

I do not think you get my point. We create our own realities. Our own perceptions, and our own translations of the external world. There is nothing wrong with that.

We do it all the time without realizing it. You even said yourself, what you beleive becomes real to you. Therefore, because of your belief about reality, you create your own.

We can choose our outlooks on life. We can choose to be happy, or to allow ourselves to suffer in ignorance and dispair.

You do not have to allow yourself to suffer over things not worth suffering. You also do not have to see the world through the biases and eyes of others, instead see it through your own.

laughing But how do you know this is true?

BTW I am being the devils advocate. wink

Goddess Kali
laughing But how do you know this is true?

BTW I am being the devils advocate. wink

Yo, don't make me get all PHILISOPHICAL ON YO AZZZ mad

Bicnarok

Goddess Kali

Crimson Phoenix

inimalist

Crimson Phoenix
Originally posted by inimalist

It is the contemporaries of Einstein that are more credited with the establishment of quantum theory, add that much of what Einstein discovered about the universe has been overturned by better observation.

Oh, ok. Cheers for the correction. smile

inimalist
Originally posted by Crimson Phoenix
Oh, ok. Cheers for the correction. smile

wink

no worries, fun topic

debbiejo

Nellinator
Quantum physics has experimental validity. It is the best explanation for observed phenomena considering the available data, as with all science. For the win. That would be the principle behind using scientific theories. I wish more people realized that.

S_W_LeGenD
in science, something cannot be called a theory until proven
This is not fully true.

Just remember this simple fact: A theory can be replaced by an other theory.

Here is a good definition of word "theory": A comprehensive explanation of a given set of data that has been repeatedly confirmed by observation and experimentation and has gained general acceptance within the scientific community but has not yet been decisively proven.

A theory is formed after some observations in a particular case but it can be disproved.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.