Explanation...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Gideon
I want to know if someone has an explanation for my question: "why the hell did Beckett not open fire?"

After rewatching that seen, there is no reason for Beckett not giving the order to fire on the Pearl. Yes, I understand that the Dutchman is invincible, but the Pearl isn't.

Sorry, Depp fans, but Beckett's ship >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Jack's ship (on Jack's best day). Beckett had him outgunned. Why the hell did he not fire?

Surreal_44
Don't know for sure. I think he basically went into shock from being in total control of the situation to having like...no control. He seemed to have disassociated himself from the situation almost as soon as he realized that the Dutchman was turning against him.

Basically, he froze up and zoned out. He was having the "Evil Bad Guy Realizes He's Screwed" moment and it just continues. He can't change it, so he just kind of goes with it.

Feel bad for all the men serving under him though. Ah well, at least Will is responsible and will get them all sorted. Can you imagine Will fetching Beckett's soul? I wonder how that conversation went...

Jaeh_JediPirate
hmm.. I could imagine quite a lot Surreal.

I think Beckett was shocked as the cold water of defeat was poured on him. (wow. artsy....)

He just realized that his almost perfect plan was cut off and failed, so he just 'zoned out' as surreal said. He was already screwed, and the shock... the shock made him not do anything and froze his mind into the moment where he thought everything was going well. then BAM! something wrong happens.

Disbelief.

Felt bad for him.

about the pearl and becketts ship, its true. beckett's ship (forgot the name) is better when it comes to guns and cannons, but the pearl is faster. (i think)

texgodiva2s
The endeavor--and she was tons of guns--Beckett, bully, lost it over the power of the FD. His first mate needed to take charge--British military at that time was too rigid on a good day. All he could see was dead man sailing. Besides, Captain Jack needed a sail by that didn't involve holes in his ship

tee_pirategirl
I agree with the shock thing but they would've lost anyways. Two ships to one. Not good odds. even though The endeavor could beat the pearl but not the pearl and the dutchman together.

And the other thing is by the time he would've ordered his men to fire. Both Jack and Will would've opened fire already. They were prepared to fire and Becket was expecting the dutchman to take lead so...

But the main thing was still him thinking "Boy i guess I won't be eating steak and wine tonight huh?"

Jaeh_JediPirate
Originally posted by tee_pirategirl

But the main thing was still him thinking "Boy i guess I won't be eating steak and wine tonight huh?"

laughing out loud

Gideon
Yes, assuming the Dutchman truly is invincible, then Beckett would have lost the fight anyways. But I find it odd that Beckett - a man who admittedly wanted nothing other than Jack's corpse - did not open fire, even in the face of defeat. He strikes me as the type of person who, even in a losing situation, would try to do as much damage as possible.

That said the Pearl realistically didn't stand a chance. Jack couldn't slug it out with Beckett on his best day, let alone after the fight in which the Pearl sustained massive damages. Beckett had Jack outgunned by a massive degree.

Beckett also had 300 ships present at that fight. The fact that he alone decided to float out there to sink to the Pearl - and the reason he lost - to me is an example of the poorer aspects of the writing. A more logical explanation could have been afforded.

tee_pirategirl
I can SORTA handle him going alone to blow the pearl up thing. He didn't think he would be alone. He had the Dutchman.

What baffles me more is...why didn't those 300 ships attack the pirates after Becket's sunk? Did they have to have someone to command them? There it was! A fleet of pirates! What were they waiting for?

Gideon
Eh. Well, I suppose to them:

a.) Their supreme commander was just (presumably) killed.
b.) The fleet's former flagship turned against them (remember the assumed invincibility).
c.) Their supreme commander's personal vessel (a ship-of-the-line) was just curbstomped.
b.) The movie had to end with a Pirate victory. The vast disparity between the pirate ships and Beckett's fleet is immense. Beckett's army was realistically far stronger.

texgodiva2s
It was the olden times and we don't gang on people--you kick my big boy's behind and ee-yah (dust hands) we are done. Not poor writing--different mind set. Beckett be one of those cowardly dogs--lawyer mentality, never ask a question you don't know the answer to--never start a fight unless you think you can call down the FD

Gideon
Originally posted by texgodiva2s
It was the olden times and we don't gang on people--you kick my big boy's behind and ee-yah (dust hands) we are done. Not poor writing--different mind set. Beckett be one of those cowardly dogs--lawyer mentality, never ask a question you don't know the answer to--never start a fight unless you think you can call down the FD

Beckett = coward?

The man's got more balls than Jack (by far), Will, Davy, Elizabeth, and Barbossa.

IheartPocky
Originally posted by Gideon
Beckett = coward?

The man's got more balls than Jack (by far), Will, Davy, Elizabeth, and Barbossa.

Haha But that's only when he thinks he's in control. When you've got a man on your right that could and would kill an elephant and a fleet of ships that could blast the enemy to smithereens you can get a little cocky I think..

Gideon
Originally posted by IheartPocky
Haha But that's only when he thinks he's in control. When you've got a man on your right that could and would kill an elephant and a fleet of ships that could blast the enemy to smithereens you can get a little cocky I think..

Not really.

1.) He didn't show any fear when Elizabeth had him at gunpoint.
2.) He didn't show any fear of Jones.
3.) He didn't show any fear of Jack .
4.) He didn't show any fear of Will .
5.) He didn't show any fear of being alone on a sandbar with Will, Jones, Elizabeth, Barbossa, and Sparrow - all five of which knowingly despise him.
6.) He didn't show any fear about going toe-to-toe with the Pearl.

Jack is as witty as Beckett (and just as active of a manipulator) and yet he shows fear ALL the time

Gideon
That was the crappiest thing I ever posted, but I have ten MSN chats going on at the same time. Forgive me. sad

IheartPocky
LOL okay

Maybe he doesn't care about living? big grin

Gideon
It depends. Jack managed to one-up Beckett in At World's End (I suppose. He helped kill him after all). Jack is also abnormally clever and witty, yet he is almost always never in control of the situation like Beckett is.

potcfan2003
I just have to post this...

My friends and I were all yelling DIE!! at Beckett, until someone screamed at us to shut it, and we were laughing so hard when Beckett's ship was blowing up and he was taking a nice stroll around his ship. I'm so glad he died!!!

Gideon
That's the mark of a sadist, lol.

That's good. That means Tom Hollander and Beckett did their jobs. Villains are the guys you're supposed to hate. I loved Barbossa, which meant he was an outstanding character, but not a great villain.

IheartPocky
Hm. I love Beckett. lol He had a weirdness to him that i found hilarious..

texgodiva2s
Brethern, you've brought up some interesting notions--Beckett is not a well person. He is so civilized that he thinks money "good business" will prevail. With Jack, he's afraid becos he's been imprisoned, branded, marooned, mutinied against, shanghaied, almost danced with Jack Ketch, cracked Jenny's teacup, killed someone close to him, sent to Davy Jones' locker, dealt with sea monsters and that which vexes all men, you'd have to be dead not to be afraid. Beckett believes with Jack, will, Elizabeth--everyone just what he says about the governor, there is a price at which all men will sell what they value most.

potcfan2003
You confuzzled me...bangin

Gideon
Same.

As for me, I'm the type of person who prefers the villains to the heroes. Beckett is a great villain.

Surreal_44
^ Really? Couldn't tell by your valiant defence of Beckett's attributes. wink

Beckett, for all that he is a snarky bastard, isn't a GREAT villian because he can't get his hands dirty. He's fabulous and interesting, but he never once gets his hands dirty.

I do love him though. big grin

potcfan2003
I am so thrilled that Beckett died it's not even funny... Well actually, yeah it is because Beckett died!!! I only wish he had a more painful death. being blown to smithereens was too kind for dancehim evil face Happy Dance laughing laughing out loud big grin stick out tongue

tee_pirategirl
I was actually sad that he died, although it was neccessary! I didn't want him to win and I am not a villan-y tipe girl but he was a very good character!

I prefer villians like Davy Jones and Barbossa who along with being frightning make you feel for them but Becket was a great character.

Sorta sad actually that in REAL life Becket would probably be a decent, maybe a little dirty but still decent man who wanted to rid the world of pirates who were dirty, evil, murderers and killed and raped women and children.

LOL! Ok so I love fictional pirates BUT it's sorta sad how Becket was turned into the bad guy. Also very cool cause one of the things I love about POTC is that the good guys are bad guys and the bad guys are good guys

Gideon
It's all how you look at the glass.

I don't believe my enthusiasm for Beckett even begins to rival that of the tiniest Jack fanboy or fangirl . I like to confine myself strictly to the facts. Stating that Beckett was 'braver' than Jack certainly meets with valid evidence, as Jack acts more or less like a reluctant hero, whereas Beckett is always in control of the situation, and fears no one or nothing.

Disney put a somewhat of a colorful spin on pirates for entertainment purposes, however, I'd hardly consider anything that Beckett did decent. 'A little dirty' doesn't justify the mass executions of people who may have not been pirates, children, or the suspensions of civil liberties in the name of destroying piracy. The only possible way that someone could defend Beckett's actions is if they believe in the Machiavellian philosophy that "the ends justify the means". In the real world, that's not the case.

Becket would be as despised and as hated as he was in the movies.

I completely disagree. From the moment we saw Beckett, we knew he was up to no good. He was never portrayed as anything but a sinister businessman and an authority figure in a massive, all-encompassing conglomerate. He manipulated and used all the main characters for his own ends and planned to kill them all.

Beckett is worse than Jones.

Surreal_44
I don't know. Jones knew he lost but he still killed Will. Beckett knew he lost and went out with grace and dignity. In a way, he's better than Jones because of that.

Now that I think about it, Beckett does not waste time with useless actions, and that could be the main reason he never fired on Jack. It would have been useless, and Beckett certainly was not going to be there for the victory party.

Speaking of Jack Sparrow fangirlism, what is with the idea that he is beyond brilliant and masterful at all he does? Yes, Jack is great at manipulating situations, but if you watch closely, most (all?) of his plans fail to some extent because he does not properly judge a person's character or the situation.

Poor Jack, sometimes even Will is better at manipulation than Jack, and Will is so...the words "pure as driven snow" come to mind. I just think about him with Beckett and DJ and he's so earnestly 'evil' I want to hug him, and also to shake Beckett and demand why he remotely believes Will. wink

Ericadawn
Originally posted by Gideon
'A little dirty' doesn't justify the mass executions of people who may have not been pirates, children, or the suspensions of civil liberties in the name of destroying piracy. The only possible way that someone could defend Beckett's actions is if they believe in the Machiavellian philosophy that "the ends justify the means". In the real world, that's not the case.

Becket would be as despised and as hated as he was in the movies.

(Coughs) BUSH (coughs)

It depends if the ends are seen as important enough to justify the means and history has shown us that many people have believed they do.

Still, Beckett was a gracious loser unlike Jones. It's been suggested that Jones is to be pitied because he has no heart and that is why he was able to do what he did unlike Beckett who has one...but Jones chose his fate. He chose to cut out his heart. It is our choices that make us who we are.

IheartPocky
Since you all are discussing Beckett, i'll post this! i made it last night... finally got it to work a few minutes ago!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=9BnNIXVJoOs

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.