What's the all time best beat em up?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

headrek1
I say these are the best in my opinion: TMNT Arcade games, the Simpsons arcade, the old 80's XMEN (not children of the atom), or fighting force. What are some others?

Tekno Boy
I put my vote behind smash bros. but for classics, you can't go wrong with street fighter

Xenogears
That SNES game where you play as either Spiderman or Venom and you beat up all these street thugs.

I believe it's Maximum Carnage or some other game.

Violent2Dope
Can't go wrong with Super Smash Bros Melee.

headrek1
Yeah, I do remeber Maximum Carnage. I gotta admit I've never played Smash Bros, what is it? I thought it was a figthing game more than a beat em up. I mean the side-scrolling games where it's wave after wave of enemies. In that case I also gotta nominate Contra, that was hard as hell though.

SaTsuJiN
Streets of Rage... and Gekido

havent found a beat-em-up to surpass those since their arrival

Violent2Dope
Originally posted by headrek1
Yeah, I do remeber Maximum Carnage. I gotta admit I've never played Smash Bros, what is it? I thought it was a figthing game more than a beat em up. I mean the side-scrolling games where it's wave after wave of enemies. In that case I also gotta nominate Contra, that was hard as hell though. Oh I got confused on what you meant by "beat em up".

Xenogears
Beat em up! Now!

SaTsuJiN
EAH6IdCsBvE

Gekido... it also had a 4player vs mode

Xenogears
GREAT POST, YO

DarkC
SSBM and Power Stone 2.

apoc001
The Punisher. Not the new one, but the old arcade game.

Xenogears
Boogerman

Yoshi Fanatic
Spiderman and Venom: Seperation Anxiety was an awesome game because you could play as Venom the whole time. By the way, it's the sequel to Spiderman an Venom: Maximum Carnage.

Xenogears
Originally posted by Yoshi Fanatic
Spiderman and Venom: Seperation Anxiety was an awesome game because you could play as Venom the whole time. By the way, it's the sequel to Spiderman an Venom: Maximum Carnage. OH THAT WAS THE ONE I WAS THINKING ABOUT!

I didn't know the name so I just called it Maximum Carnage.

Separation Anxiety was pretty awesome. The first stage is somewhere on the streets at night I think.

ESB -1138
TMNT arcade.

Xenogears
A TMNT game on the SNES had similar gameplay to Separation Anxiety. It was really fun to play.

BackFire
BATTLETOADS

StyleTime
Originally posted by SaTsuJiN
Streets of Rage... and Gekido

havent found a beat-em-up to surpass those since their arrival
I seriously thought I was the only person who ever played Gekido. Gekido rocked so hard.

Gekido and Fighting Force 1 get my vote for best beat 'em ups.

Fighting Force 2, is possibly the worst however. I mean....they took out the multiplayer in the 2nd one. What the **** were they thinking?

Tekno Boy
Golden Axe

MadMel
goldan axe, MK shaolin monks and SSBM

ESB -1138
Originally posted by MadMel
goldan axe, MK shaolin monks and SSBM

Super Smash Bros Melee is NOT a beat em up game. It is a fighting game. A beat em up game is a side scoller like the arcade TMNT where you fight wave after wave of enemies then some cheap @$$ boss.

MadMel
ah ok my bad
SSBM adventure mode stick out tongue

ESB -1138
Originally posted by MadMel
ah ok my bad
SSBM adventure mode stick out tongue

.......I guess that would count as an adventure game then. Happy Dance Happy Dance

Kazenji
GOLDEN AXE !!!!!!!!!

Sado22
Final Fight will always be one of the greatest beat em ups.
but as of today, the best beat em ups would be:
Spike Out
Godhand
and one of my all time favorites: Urban Reign.

but out of all these I'd says its Godhand. kickass.

~The Invincible Confused Why His Sig Isn't Showing Sado-sama

Violent2Dope
The Simpsons one.big grin

ragesRemorse
ninja warriors-snes

fighting force-ps1

punisher-ps2

shaolin monks-ps2

jade empire-xbox

ALL TIME GREATEST---X_MEN ARCADE smilesmilesmile

Röland
TMNT: Turtles in Time for SNES thumb up

Tekno Boy
Originally posted by ESB -1138
Super Smash Bros Melee is NOT a beat em up game. It is a fighting game. A beat em up game is a side scoller like the arcade TMNT where you fight wave after wave of enemies then some cheap @$$ boss.

I thought a side scroller was like a side scroller and a beat-em-up was like tekken and that. Technically, the original Mario and Sonic games were side scrollers.

ESB -1138
Originally posted by Tekno Boy
I thought a side scroller was like a side scroller and a beat-em-up was like tekken and that. Technically, the original Mario and Sonic games were side scrollers.

A beat em up game is a side scoller like the arcade TMNT where you fight wave after wave of enemies then some cheap @$$ boss.

Most games of the NES, SNES, and Genesis were side scrollers. But throwing dozens of enemies and where you can progress through the game just by pushing a single button makes it a beat em up.

Like this one called Double Dragon. Has to be one of the best because you can do a move that makes it look like you're mouth raping the guy.

See for yourself.
kKlf40S6_5o

SaTsuJiN
in a beat-em-up.. you progress through stages, followed by bosses or mini-bosses in a side-scrolling manner.. the adventure mode in smash bros. is a beat-em-up... but the actual vs mode is not a beat-em-up

I also liked

battle toads
double dragon
golden axe
ninja turtles by konami
simpsons arcade

I halfway liked x-men... I didnt like how the mutant powers took so long to get back after using them

Triple Six
I got alot of old favorite beat'em ups but a favorite of mine that's kinda current yet kinda old is...

"The Bouncer"

MadMel
Originally posted by Violent2Dope
The Simpsons one.big grin
yea, forgot that

golden axe
viewtiful joe (im sure i can be considered one..right?
simpsons arcade
and mortal kombat - shaolin monks (technically it can be considered a 3d beat-em-up)

Rascaduanok

Yoshi Fanatic
Originally posted by ESB -1138
Like this one called Double Dragon. Has to be one of the best because you can do a move that makes it look like you're mouth raping the guy.

See for yourself.
kKlf40S6_5o

What exactly is Billy Lee or Jimmy Lee doing when they look as if their "mouth raping the guy"?

SaTsuJiN
Originally posted by Yoshi Fanatic
What exactly is Billy Lee or Jimmy Lee doing when they look as if their "mouth raping the guy"?

I think its a grab by the hair knee thrust.. but just badly animated

but thats dope I didnt know they had double dragon on xbox live... or is that ...an emulator... o.O

Lazy MFer
Veiwtiful Joe and the Bouncer.

...and oh yeah, Altered Beast.

"Rise from your grave"!!!

And Karate too.

fanboy 1988
Super Smash Bros, and Marvel vs Capcom 2.

Yoshi Fanatic
Originally posted by SaTsuJiN
I think its a grab by the hair knee thrust.. but just badly animated

Oh, okay. In other words, Jimmy or Billy just grabs the person by the head and kicks them in the head. Yeah, it isn't animated well. I remember that same move being on the game, "Double Dragon and Battletoads: The Ultimate Team". It was better animated in that game because we could easily see Jimmy or Billy hitting the thugs in the face with their knee. We could even see the thugs' reaction to getting hit in the face...

SaTsuJiN
Not the best.. but classic big grin

http://www.exotica.org.uk/gallery/games/images/b/BadDudes.jpg

Usual Suspect
Originally posted by Lazy MFer

...and oh yeah, Altered Beast.

Man, that's a classic, when I was lil, I played the hell outta that game. I never beat it though.

Yoshi Fanatic
Originally posted by fanboy 1988
Super Smash Bros, and Marvel vs Capcom 2.

Those aren't beat 'em up games. They are just fighting games.

Violent2Dope
Simpsons Arcade. That shit was fun.

Rascaduanok

King Kandy
Seperation Anxiety or that one Xmen game...

DarkC
Dynasty Warriors.

MadMel
Originally posted by Violent2Dope
Simpsons Arcade. That shit was fun.
this game was ownage
i was like the only kid my age who could beat it big grin

Guilty Gear
Originally posted by King Kandy
Seperation Anxiety or that one Xmen game... yes

Kazenji
The Arcade AVP game now thats the shit

And also Captain America and the avengers i played that none stop when i got that for the mega drive.

Kazenji
Originally posted by ragesRemorse

punisher-ps2

Are you sure thats a beat em up ??

your not thinking of that one that came out for the Sega.

ragesRemorse
not sure why i didnt mention them before, but god of war 2 and the warriors smile

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.