Manhunt Controversy

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Koala MeatPie
God damn it.

So ireland, being trigger happy with the BAN button (Pink Floyd (Arnold lane) Monty Python, etc etc) Have decided to ban Manhunt 2 due to its graphic nature.

Now, in the US, People have risen up and said they'll slap it with an AO (Adults only) rating, meaning it can't be sold at Best buy, target, Can't be ported on the Sony or Nintendo - Sales are very limited.

I was never going to play it. I still don't want to. but FFS, Is anybody ehre old enough to remeber going into a R movie at 13 with your friends? just paying the ticket and going in and nobody gave a damn?
WTF Changed? God damn this is pissing me off.

Congratulations you weak f|cktards who are limiting our fun by "looking out for use" by banning video games. You weak f|cktards. Thanks to you take - Two will be short changed 40 million bucks, PLUS the production cost (Several million now a days) (FEAR? 25 million) Which will mean huge cuts, meaning less games that could potentially have been awsome.

Could they change the content of manyhunt? Sure, and kill the game along with it. Its not like with the Far Cry Fiasco where you just took out the Ragdolling from dead bodies, Violence is the essence of Manhunt.

Thank you. Thank you very much. Sour Crout f|cking mothers looking out for Timmy. Eat my shorts. Whats next? hmm? Oh no! lets ban GUNS in video games! Guns are bad! And now they are WAAAAAY too realistic, its virtual trainning! They might induce us into becomming all Terrorists! Oh no! 9/11! games cause People to Go mad and 9/11! 9/11! everybody!

Surely, you do not want Mr. Jones to come back?

JToTheP
I think the whole thing is ridiculous, I'm 21 years old and can get this game. I pre-ordered it at EBGames last week, and he told me July 10th, a day before the 'shelfing'. I hate shitty parents who don't know what their kids play, and cause chaos over a GAME.

Meanwhile, Hostel 2 is out.

Mišt
I like it how you can legally buy a gun, then go and kill someone with it, but you cant buy a game and kill a virtual person, cause that might be harmful.

Yay! We'll tell everyone over the age of 21 what they're allowed to play in their own home. mistboobs

Is there any difference to an R or Adults rating?

Kazenji
Who the hell is Mr Jones which Koala MeatPie mention don't you mean jack thompson that dickhead ?

MadMel
this is absolute crap!
i agree with mist..its ok to get a gun and kill under circumstances, but you cant hold a gun in a videogame erm

Victor Von Doom
It's not actually OK to buy a gun and go out and kill somebody though, is it? To be realistic.

It's a bit of a silly decision. If anyone is crazy enough to be influenced by a game, then they're...already crazy. Banning a game won't help them.

Tha C-Master
M is supposed to be like an "R" rating.

Ao is supposed to be like Nc-17, which limits the distribution of it...

Ushgarak
The European and American situations are very different.

I do have to say... I think the American situation is reasonable. The ESRB has not tried to ban the game. It is simply their job to certificate it, and I can very much see the case for them giving it a high certificate.

It's not their fault that many games release companies- like Sony ad Nintendo- have policies of not allowing AO stuff on their consoles. Nor is it really unreasonable for such companies to have family-friendly policies- it is part of their market, especially for Nintendo.

It is also not the ESRB's fault that big chains refuse to stock AO material. It is, after all, up to shops what they do and do not want to sell.

You've got to understand the market you are releasing into. If you make a hyper-violent game that actively encourages you to indulge in such violence in-game, then I rather think you should be aware that if you push it too far, no-one is actually going to sell your game. Duhhh.

Now, in the UK and Ireland, it has effectively been outright banned, which is less defensible. No-one is ALLOWED to sell it whether they want to or not. Hmm.

It'll get a PC release of some sort, for sure. Even if online only.

Victor Von Doom
Funny though the Sony situation, since Sony-exclusive fans are usually citing 'adult' games as a reason that Sony is superior to Nintendo.

Ushgarak
I think that is because there was a time where Nintendo would barely allow anything past PG. They've changed that now, but there's a legacy to it.

Still, despite being a family-orientated console, I do indeed think that Nintendo has parity with Sony in what they will allow now for the Wii. It's just a matter of people making such stuff for it. Nintendo were all up for releasing Manhunt if it had an M rating, which would make it the most extreme thing Nintendo ever released.

WrathfulDwarf
I believe the basic questions are these....

Just exactly HOW violent is this game?

And...

How extreme is the violence in the game as oppose to other illustrations of violance in movies, games, comic books, tv shows, and music?

What is in the content of the game to deserve such penalty?

Ushgarak
That's a relevant question for the UK and Ireland, but not in the US. In the US it has not received any more penalty than a violent film. It's simply that retailers don't like to sell such games

Lana
Jack Thompson seriously needs to find a new hobby.

I can see why retailers may not want to sell an AO rated game, and while I think it's kinda silly with the "no third party AO games on our systems" thing that Nintendo and Sony are doing, that's their call. The game will still be obtainable...if it ever comes out.

But think of it this way. Chances are that once it does come out, very few stores will carry it. The best way to get it is online. Isn't this a bit counter-intuitive to keeping kids from buying it? If you buy a game in the store and it's a restricted rating, you're going to get IDed (I do this a billion times a day). But online? Any kid can borrow Mom or Dad's credit card to buy it. There's no way of telling who they're really selling to.

And then just outright banning a game is simply stupid, in my opinion. It won't stop people from getting it at all.

Ushgarak
Well, that thing about online selling applies to any mature game at all, really. If the kids cannot get it in a store because of being id'ed, they'll get it online. No different to not being able to get it in a store because the store isn't selling it, and so getting it online.

The reason it would be available on-line wouldn't be part of a concerted effort to keep it away from kids, after all. It's just that on-line is probably the only way it will be available nationwide.

But that would only likely be if the current version is released on PC (where there is no problem with Sony/Nintendo disallowing it). More likely the game will be toned down for an M rating on the consoles, and an 18 rating in the UK.

JToTheP
Jack Thompson and all these overreacting parents need lives, control your ****in kids, unless I see some CONFIRMATION about Necrophilia in Manhunt 2, the only reason (I think) for this is because of the sex house at some point in the game. I think if you remove sexual contact from a SEX house, it kind of ISN'T that at all, and as far as the tortures go, you're getting REVENGE for the people they tortured.

The difference between Manhunt vs. Texas Chainsaw Saga, and Hostel saga is, Texas and Hostel is just pointless slaughter of innocent teenagers/adults.

Manhunt 1 you played as Cash who was fighting for survival after they set him up for the injection and it didn't work. To ME fighting for survival is legit, and you WOULD have to use any means neccesary against groups of people who want to kill you.

I mean come on, Unrated dvds come out all the time, sure there isn't a lot different from the theatrical version, but it's the PRINCIPAL. I see no reason why Manhunt 2 should get this kind of fire because of some whiney old bitches and Jack Thompson.

The national media calling the 'shelfing' a WIN for parents and families, ****.THAT. it's more like a reason for Jack Thompson to pop a bottle of Champaigne and say his bitching and crying actually caused something 'good' in his own opinion.

I've also been playing games above my age limit for years, as well as had Resident Evil 1 & 2 when I was 12, I shouldn't be cheated out of this because of some people who fail as parents. I know plenty of people who are quite sane as well, and when we talk about violent things, 99% of the time we're quoting a movie or discussing a game. It's never been, 'Man I want to kill that guy.'

And as far as the rumors of it being banned across the world for scrotum ripping, that's garbage because you can get a Scythe Hook around the middle of the game, and the YELLOW level kill is sticking the hook under him, and tearing it off. So, it clearly isn't that.

Lana
Still dumb, though.

Also kind of annoying that this all happened like...two and a half weeks before the game was scheduled to be released. That's going to delay it for months, most likely.

Gotta say this much, though...it's certainly going to build up a huge amount of hype about the game.

JToTheP
Well of course it is, and with it being on the Wii and Ps2? They're the two best selling consoles out right now. This all happened in a WEEK as well, when NOTHING else would happen so quickly.

Smasandian
What I read from Gamespot, its pretty damn violent and I'm not surpraised it got an AO. I'm sorry, but the AO fault is on Rockstar and not the ratings board.

Kero_Co
The rating system is flawed anyway. If manhunt was a movie it would be rated R, not AO, but Jack Thomson has scared people into thinking that Interactive Entertainment is a worse influence and those people want stricter ESRB ratings. It's funny, because it all started these same people buying their kids video games without paying attention to the ESRB in the first place, which most will continue to do and still complain when they see their kids busting caps and so the cycle continues.

WrathfulDwarf
Question:

Is Postal 2 banned in the UK?

Kero_Co
Yes, at least until they fix the rating.

General Kaliero
The difference, JtotheP, is really in how the violence is handled. Fighting for survival, sure, honorable enough cause. But the fact is that the game entices you to kill "creatively" to cause as much pain as possible. Done for revenge or not, that gameplay principle is decidedly sadistic and is the main issue with the ratings and banning.

Inspectah Deck
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf

what's different from the first?

JToTheP
Originally posted by General Kaliero
The difference, JtotheP, is really in how the violence is handled. Fighting for survival, sure, honorable enough cause. But the fact is that the game entices you to kill "creatively" to cause as much pain as possible. Done for revenge or not, that gameplay principle is decidedly sadistic and is the main issue with the ratings and banning.

Gamespot played the Ps2, and Wii versions, and said the Ps2 version plays just like the first one, so it's obvious the "problem" is the Wii version. It isn't Rockstar's fault Nintendo wanted to use Motion Sensoring, and the player doing the actions with the remote and nunchuk, they shouldn't be punished on something they worked on for at least over a year and a half or longer. People need to look at film as well before doing this, Tarantino's movies are also an example, Grindhouse as well.

Hell, Grindhouse was suppose to get NC-17 the week before it came out, and somehow pops out with an R rating. So it's just people with no real hobbies in life, meanwhile the new election is next year, and the governments are worried about a ****in video game.

I don't see God Of War getting any negative attention as far as "commiting pain" goes and you can rip enemies apart before murdering them, and Prince Of Persia:Two Thrones has the timed kills as well which are pretty violent. I mean you get knives and such in Manhunt, which you can use to stab the enemy, and in Two Towers you can stick one of his blades into their neck and follow it up with a take down before they even actually die.

But then again I'm just ONE SANE chronic video game player, I don't make up a majority of people who are paranoid and love to point the finger, like millions of parents.

InnerRise
Originally posted by JToTheP
.....and Prince Of Persia:Two Towers has the timed kills..... It's "The Prince of Persia: Two THRONES"

Anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

JToTheP
Sorry, I read the name off my GC case in the dark.

JToTheP
http://www.gamespot.com/wii/action/manhunt2/news.html?sid=6172967&tag=topslot;title;1

They discuss how the Wii version plays, which is how everyone figured, talk about the sex club set of level(s), and their opinion of the whole situation at the end.

InnerRise
Is this game really that much worse than the first one?

If the first was okay then this one should be too.

SaTsuJiN
I dunno.. from what I saw manhunt 2 looked more tame than the 1st one... /shrug

but its wierd cuz no ones banned faces of death videos but they'll go after video games?... gotta love double standards

Originally posted by InnerRise
Is this game really that much worse than the first one?

If the first was okay then this one should be too.

for real

JToTheP
It's all about the Wii Version's motion controls I think. I've seen no confirmations of necrophilia and such.

Ushgarak
Just to clarify the UK situation- games such as this are not technically being banned, they are not receiving a certificate.

Without a certificate you simply can't sell it.

But it's perfectly legal to own them.

I know, it's odd.

BackFire
The whole thing is ****ing dumb.

Rockstar/Take Two should just sell the game independently through their website or something as it is, with all the "controversy" and attention it's getting it would sell better than it ever would have otherwise. The game was going to come out to lukewarm reviews (like the first) and average sales, now, tons of people who would have had no interest in the game would buy it just to see what the controversy is about. Take Two should milk this for all it's worth.

JToTheP
Originally posted by BackFire

Rockstar/Take Two should just sell the game independently through their website or something as it is, with all the "controversy" and attention it's getting it would sell better than it ever would have otherwise. The game was going to come out to lukewarm reviews (like the first) and average sales, now, tons of people who would have had no interest in the game would buy it just to see what the controversy is about. Take Two should milk this for all it's worth.

Thank you, that's what I say they do, sell it through their website, I'd buy it through there.

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by Ushgarak
I think that is because there was a time where Nintendo would barely allow anything past PG. They've changed that now, but there's a legacy to it.

Still, despite being a family-orientated console, I do indeed think that Nintendo has parity with Sony in what they will allow now for the Wii. It's just a matter of people making such stuff for it. Nintendo were all up for releasing Manhunt if it had an M rating, which would make it the most extreme thing Nintendo ever released.

Yeah, but people wilfully ignore the change to aid an argument, which is annoying.

Koala MeatPie
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
I believe the basic questions are these....

And...

How extreme is the violence in the game as oppose to other illustrations of violance in movies, games, comic books, tv shows, and music?

What is in the content of the game to deserve such penalty?

I think you can freeze a banana and hit a guy over the head with it, knocking him out, then you take out a knife, carve out his stomach and hang him by his intestines.

Or just crawl around inback of an enemy And then Sufocate him with a plastic bag.

AstroFan
Originally posted by BackFire

Now alot of people are gonna know that when it comes out that they arent getting the full experience, that may put people off too.

JToTheP
Originally posted by AstroFan
Now alot of people are gonna know that when it comes out that they arent getting the full experience, that may put people off too.

And they'll know who to blame.

Tha C-Master
I'm inbetween. I don't agree on banning it to please whiny adults, especially considering some of the other gruesome forms of media around.

But I don't believe in lowering the rating just to please whiny youth either. If it deserves a rating, that's what it should get. I'm not saying it SHOULD be AO, but rather, if it needs to be that, then it that's the rating it should get.

Smasandian
Originally posted by Koala MeatPie
I think you can freeze a banana and hit a guy over the head with it, knocking him out, then you take out a knife, carve out his stomach and hang him by his intestines.

Or just crawl around inback of an enemy And then Sufocate him with a plastic bag.

Your kidding me right?

That's in Manhunt 2?

If true, how can anybody be surpraised that it got an AO rating.

SaTsuJiN
lol ninjas arent valiant characters.. they're assassins hired for peoples own selfish causes.. and as many guts they spill and heads they roll.. I never see an AO rating get thrown on them

Kero_Co
I don't know, If I was rockstar and they gave me and AO on something that should have been M, I'd make it AO. More Gore,More Sadisticness,More cussing, More Nudity, and a three sex many game that double as boss fights.

Tha C-Master
Originally posted by SaTsuJiN
lol ninjas arent valiant characters.. they're assassins hired for peoples own selfish causes.. and as many guts they spill and heads they roll.. I never see an AO rating get thrown on them This is because of the nature of this game encourages killing people as creatively and with as much sadism as possible.

Honestly it's not like little kids will be playing this game much, I recall people saying Twisted Metal: Black gave them nightmares although I found the movies funny myself.

Smasandian
It doesnt matter if kids wont play it.

It's the matter that Rockstar went over the line and got an AO rating. It's simple.

The game is violent as hell, and they got punished for it.

Personally, maybe its a good thing it got an AO rating.

Mišt
PS3 are region free for games, right? Buy an import off ebay srug

SaTsuJiN
Originally posted by Tha C-Master
This is because of the nature of this game encourages killing people as creatively and with as much sadism as possible.

sounds like every tenchu game that ever came out lol

I think video games are meant to be outlets for expression no matter how opposite it may be on the ends of the spectrum

my attitude is if you dont like, dont buy... preventing it from reaching shelves is just stupid.. its the consumers responsibility to decide whether this product is taboo for them or not.... not people like jack thompson who thrive making money off of suckers who dont practice what they preach

Ushgarak
I think the comparison with Tenchu is facile, really.

This game is fare more connected with the violence. Tenchu might be harsh but it feels more like Tom and Jerry for all the emotional impact it has.

The selling online thing is entirely reasonable. It's the natural consequence of producing a game that outlets won't sell. Of course, no two ways about it, that will drastically harm its sales. But then they knew what they were doing.

I'm still fairly sure they'll alter it to get an M on consoles.

Tha C-Master
Originally posted by SaTsuJiN
sounds like every tenchu game that ever came out lol

I think video games are meant to be outlets for expression no matter how opposite it may be on the ends of the spectrum

my attitude is if you dont like, dont buy... preventing it from reaching shelves is just stupid.. its the consumers responsibility to decide whether this product is taboo for them or not.... not people like jack thompson who thrive making money off of suckers who dont practice what they preach It also depends on which part of the world you live in. As you see here (I'm not sure where you are from), different people have different attitudes towards games. Places like Japan are more free on games and television, but US is more limited, and places in Europe most limited. Europe restricted the Ninja Turtles when it came out on cartoon in the 80's for Christ's sake.

JToTheP

grey fox
It also depends on which part of the world you live in. As you see here (I'm not sure where you are from), different people have different attitudes towards games. Places like Japan are more free on games and television, but US is more limited, and places in Europe most limited. Europe restricted the Ninja Turtles when it came out on cartoon in the 80's for Christ's sake.

T'was a sad day for the Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles

pr1983
God damn it.

So ireland, being trigger happy with the BAN button (Pink Floyd (Arnold lane) Monty Python, etc etc) Have decided to ban Manhunt 2 due to its graphic nature.

Now, in the US, People have risen up and said they'll slap it with an AO (Adults only) rating, meaning it can't be sold at Best buy, target, Can't be ported on the Sony or Nintendo - Sales are very limited.

I was never going to play it. I still don't want to. but FFS, Is anybody ehre old enough to remeber going into a R movie at 13 with your friends? just paying the ticket and going in and nobody gave a damn?
WTF Changed? God damn this is pissing me off.

Congratulations you weak f|cktards who are limiting our fun by "looking out for use" by banning video games. You weak f|cktards. Thanks to you take - Two will be short changed 40 million bucks, PLUS the production cost (Several million now a days) (FEAR? 25 million) Which will mean huge cuts, meaning less games that could potentially have been awsome.

Could they change the content of manyhunt? Sure, and kill the game along with it. Its not like with the Far Cry Fiasco where you just took out the Ragdolling from dead bodies, Violence is the essence of Manhunt.

Thank you. Thank you very much. Sour Crout f|cking mothers looking out for Timmy. Eat my shorts. Whats next? hmm? Oh no! lets ban GUNS in video games! Guns are bad! And now they are WAAAAAY too realistic, its virtual trainning! They might induce us into becomming all Terrorists! Oh no! 9/11! games cause People to Go mad and 9/11! 9/11! everybody!

Surely, you do not want Mr. Jones to come back?

while i agree with most of what you said, your jab at the irish was uncalled for...

no i dont agree with them banning manhunt, but that other stuff was years ago, and is inconsequential...

Violent2Dope
Banning games is just ignorant and what really pisses me off is that Thompson dude that blames every teenage or young adult that kills someone on video games. It's the parent's fault for what their kids do.

Ushgarak
It also depends on which part of the world you live in. As you see here (I'm not sure where you are from), different people have different attitudes towards games. Places like Japan are more free on games and television, but US is more limited, and places in Europe most limited. Europe restricted the Ninja Turtles when it came out on cartoon in the 80's for Christ's sake.

That's just swings and roundabouts. The US has a reputation for being very puritan about sex.

InnerRise
Manhunt now won't be released and how long is indefinite.

It will take millions for them to alter its content in order to achieve a M rating.

So don't be too sure they'll do it.

Violent2Dope
Lol poop.

Koala MeatPie
Originally posted by pr1983
while i agree with most of what you said, your jab at the irish was uncalled for...

no i dont agree with them banning manhunt, but that other stuff was years ago, and is inconsequential...

I wasn't trying to jab, its the truth. And you can't handle it.

Its like me saying "German Soldiers Killed Hundreds of thousands of Jews" Then someone saying "F|ck you, that was years ago, its inconsequential now."

Lana
Not only is that comparison WAY off, but it has absolutely nothing to do with the topic.

Violent2Dope
POOP!

Lana
If you can't post and stay on-topic, then don't post at all.

Violent2Dope
I only posted that because I decided to delete what I originally posted via Edit.

BlaxicanHydra
Then you should have just put "Edit". Don't get banned again too fast, now.

Tha C-Master
Originally posted by grey fox
T'was a sad day for the Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles No nunchucks either...

ragesRemorse
is it just me, or am i the only one who thinks that original man hunter was boring and pointless?

JToTheP
I think it was just you, considering you seem to see flaws in every big game.

ragesRemorse
I think it was just you, considering you seem to see flaws in every big game.

Manhunt was a big game? Aside from the controversy surrounding it, the game earned no praise. How am i being bashed for not liking a game that had nothing to offer other than shock value? The controls were decent at best, however, this was overshadowed by the redundancy of the game. There really was no point in playing the game other than finding new ways to kill people...excuse me if i like substance and genuine entertainment in my games.

and how do i find flaws in every game? I thought it was an acknowledged truth that most games are not very good. What with the fly by night production of cranking out what is hot at the moment. Manhunter is the only rockstar game that i disliked, most every other game in their library is exceptional. Maybe these flaws that you speak of are passes that you give to games that are excused by a lower standard in ones gaming interests. Ive been playing games for a very long time now, ive been there and done that, as im sure you have. It takes alot to wow me anymore, and even more for me to commit precious time and money to a game anymore.

JToTheP
You always seem to complain about every game other people praise, and it seems like most of the threads about big games out you've had some complaints about the games. Of course I'd be surprised if anyone would be willing to help me prove this, but I know for a fact you were in the Tomb Raider:Anniversary thread complaining about Legend's gameplay, and Anniversary.

What the hell IS the point of horror games WITHOUT a shock value, if Silent Hill 2 lacked Pyramid Head, I really think the story wouldn't of had a valuable piece to it. If Resident Evil didn't have Tyrants, I really can't imagine what the 'final bosses' would of been all along.

You are really far too critical with games, and have to find complaints about everything, that's an anal mentality and that is no one's fault other than your own. I guess with how graphics and things being how they are now, everyone was really spoiled, and game players like you insist on pointing out small short comings in games.

Hell, I bet you had complaints about Zelda:Ocarina in Time, 2D Mario brothers games, and most of the Genesis, and Super Nintendo days.

ragesRemorse
You always seem to complain about every game other people praise, and it seems like most of the threads about big games out you've had some complaints about the games. Of course I'd be surprised if anyone would be willing to help me prove this, but I know for a fact you were in the Tomb Raider:Anniversary thread complaining about Legend's gameplay, and Anniversary.

What the hell IS the point of horror games WITHOUT a shock value, if Silent Hill 2 lacked Pyramid Head, I really think the story wouldn't of had a valuable piece to it.
You are really far too critical with games, and have to find complaints about everything, that's an anal mentality and that is no one's fault other than your own. Hell, I bet you had complaints about Zelda:Ocarina in Time, 2D Mario brothers games, and most of the Genesis, and Super Nintendo days.

JUst because masses praise a game does not mean that i am. I voice my opinion on games movies and music alike...openly and honestly. Just because there are certain aspects about a game that i dont like, does not mean that i dont think it is still a good and enjoyable game. I wasnt flamming tomb raider legend, I dont rightly remember what i said, but i know i said that the gameplay was very streamlined and intuitive. I believe the aspects of that game that i was crticising was the story and the horrible bike sequences. Other wise it was aces. As far as the anniversary edition, I just questioned the reason of remaking the original instead of advancing the story.

You are 110% correct in saying that horror games need a certain level of shock value to them. How you compare silent hill with manhunt though is beyond me. silent hill was survival horror game that had a deep story. Manhunt to me, was a repetitive pointless venture. There was no real story, just kill people. As far as i ca remember, Manhunt wasnt exactly praised, Infact i remember it being ravaged, after people picked up the controller and the shock value wore off. Using shock tactics to intensify the story of a game is one thing, but using shock tactics in place of a story and atmosphere is another.

As far as being critical on games, yes i am. During the NES, genesis, and snes days. I dont think i ever really criticized a game. Games were still young at that time, Story and pacing took a backseat to fun gameplay. However, as games have advanced, my tastes have. I've been there, done that and seen everything.
Especially with next gen technology, i do expect more than what the ps2 and xbox offered. I have commited time and money to continue my gaming expereinces, We all deserve more in-depth gameplay and well rounded story arcs in our next gen games. The more the consumer accepts mediocrity, the more mediocirty we will be given

for the record, i couldnt find anything wrong with ocarina of time if i tried, other than the time it took to climb a damn ladder stick out tongue

§P0oONY
I agree with ragesRemorse, Manhunt was boring and pointless, not to mention repetative, Having to watch the same murder cutscenes again and again... and again... *yawn*

Smasandian
I also agree.

Have you noticed that this game was suppose to come out very soon and there hasnt been an thread about it until the AO rating came out.

If it was such a big game, people would of already been talking about it.

The only reason people actually care about this game and that it got an AO rating is not becauset they really want to play it, but that its a step against what all gamers fear, tight regulations of the sale of violent videogames.

Tha C-Master

apoc001
This whole thing is just so stupid. Ok, so we'll let these somewhat violent games go on the market, but not this one. It's too violent. So who decides what's too violent now? If you ask me, it should be the parents. If you don't want your kid playing a game, DON'T BUY IT! If you're not sure what it is, then look it up, you fools! Or maybe at least LOOK AT THE CASE. For example, I can legally buy Manhunt 2, but I don't like senseless violence, so I'm not going to. There, see? I protected myself. And I did it without their stupid rating system. All people need to do is think more often.

Manhunt: New York was a good game.

ragesRemorse
so is this game even going to be released?

Smasandian
Probably.

If they dont, its an waste of money.

Green Scar
Originally posted by InnerRise
Manhunt now won't be released and how long is indefinite.

It will take millions for them to alter its content in order to achieve a M rating.

So don't be too sure they'll do it.

Damm

Koala MeatPie
Originally posted by Lana
Not only is that comparison WAY off, but it has absolutely nothing to do with the topic.

You know, I love that about you.
The way you just do things like that.

Like whenever I have something that resembles a point you come and sh|t me in the face. You havn't changed one bit.

Koala MeatPie
Instead of saying "He wasn't activly going out to stick it to Ireland".
Seriously, each time you stumble apon one of my posts making a point or what not you're activly trying to put me down.

JToTheP
I wouldn't try to go head to head with Lana, Koala Meatpie, you won't get very far or anywhere near a victory. Despite that it's also the internet.

Lana

Like whenever I have something that resembles a point you come and sh|t me in the face. You havn't changed one bit.

See, though, you didn't have a point. You were trying to compare censoring video games and pop culture and stuff like that to Holocaust denial. Anyone should be able be able see just how completely off that comparison is.

Xenogears

Like whenever I have something that resembles a point you come and sh|t me in the face. You havn't changed one bit. thumb up laughing

pr1983
I wasn't trying to jab, its the truth. And you can't handle it.

Its like me saying "German Soldiers Killed Hundreds of thousands of Jews" Then someone saying "F|ck you, that was years ago, its inconsequential now."

no, its not actually...

equating the holocaust with a bit of censorship is kind of a stretch, don't you think?

yes they banned manhunt, i don't debate that, but overzealous censorship that happened years ago and has no bearing on today IS inconsequential...

can't handle it... yeah, right...

as for the original manhunt... it was alright, if a bit repetitive... couldnt hold a candle to gta...

Tha C-Master
Originally posted by Ushgarak
That's just swings and roundabouts. The US has a reputation for being very puritan about sex. The US is more restrictive towards sex, but the UK was more restrictive towards violence. Japan is looser towards both ends.

AstroFan
Well, its coming in the US, but it will be modified. erm

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6177498.html?action=convert&om_clk=latestnews&tag=latestnews;title;2

JToTheP
Dammit! I hope it isn't edited a lot! sad

pr1983
hmm... fair dues to rockstar for sticking to their guns... if their appeal does work over here, i just hope the game is better than the first one...

S_D_J
I dunno about you gys, but unless they come clean with what's been cut, I dont think I'll be getting it

... unless, of course, all the banned content is unlockable like hot coffe eek!

JToTheP
Originally posted by pr1983
hmm... fair dues to rockstar for sticking to their guns... if their appeal does work over here, i just hope the game is better than the first one...

Well, that's what sucks about this whole thing. They pinned them like 3 weeks before the release, like the week before they were probably going to start mass producing the discs to sell.

Originally posted by S_D_J
I dunno about you gys, but unless they come clean with what's been cut, I dont think I'll be getting it

... unless, of course, all the banned content is unlockable like hot coffe eek!

I doubt they would do that again, and I thought Hot Coffee wasn't directly their fault anyway?

Bicnarok
Well I played Manhunt 1 and imo it is sick and should be banned. Theres no skill to it and anyone who enjoys such games needs to see a shrink.

JToTheP
It is kind of twisted, it has more of a plot to it than Hostel, and Texas Chainsaw does. Though it's pretty tame compared to movies.

Lana
Originally posted by AstroFan
Well, its coming in the US, but it will be modified. erm

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6177498.html?action=convert&om_clk=latestnews&tag=latestnews;title;2

Knew about that for a while...

Well, that's what sucks about this whole thing. They pinned them like 3 weeks before the release, like the week before they were probably going to start mass producing the discs to sell.

I doubt they would do that again, and I thought Hot Coffee wasn't directly their fault anyway?

Well, someone programmed it into the game and made it unlockable, so it was definitely someone at Rockstar's fault...

S_D_J

well, if was supossed to be in the game, but cut out in last minute, the problem was that it wasn't removed at all form the disk... I think they either thought no one will find it or they just waited till someone find it before realising it themselfs

it wasn't until the game hit PC's that hot coffee wasn't discovered

JToTheP
Originally posted by S_D_J
well, if was supossed to be in the game, but cut out in last minute, the problem was that it wasn't removed at all form the disk... I think they either thought no one will find it or they just waited till someone find it before realising it themselfs

it wasn't until the game hit PC's that hot coffee wasn't discovered

Oh alright, but it was discussed by just some nerds who spend their time hacking discs anyway. I guess it was basically meant to be a 'rom dump' or whatever it's called when remains are found on discs.

S_D_J
yep

but It still makes me wonder if such content was deliberately left in there

anyways, I wasn't really attracted to the first game, but the wii version of manhunt 2 intrigue me. It's just that I think censorship in general it's bad, in any form. If it was done by R* themselves, (like with Hot coffee) than that's ok, but if its done 'cause someone else tells you too, hell no!

I just wanna know what's been cut, before getting the game erm

PS: after reading my posts, I seriously need to remember to use spellcheck embarrasment

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.