Should Frank Welker have voiced Megatron?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Impediment
Frank Welker, as some know, was not casted as the voice of Megatron in the Transformers movie, because his voiced had aged since the G1 series many years ago, and some said that his voice didn't quite fit the new look of Megatron in the 2007 movie. Hugo Weaving, instead, was casted as Megatron.

Peter Cullen, however, was casted as the voice of Optimus Prime, despite his different appearance. What say you? Should Frank Welker, the man of 1,000 voices and sound effects, have been casted as Megatron's voice? Hugo Weaving isn't even adding his voice for the Transformer's video game that is being released this Summer. Guess who is doing the voice of Megatron? Yup. Frank Welker is.

I, myself, say Welker.

grey fox
I'm unsure.

Cullens voice is noticeably aged (he sounds...weaker..more weary then he did during the series, understandable however) but the thing about Megatron was he had this shriek sort of tone about him , I'd have to hear Weavings version , compare and then listen to the video games version and see what I make of them.

BTW: Is their a sample of teh video games Megatron voice yet ?

Impediment
This is the only one I could find, so far. I'm looking for more samples/media.

DwcLtrfz-Hk

grey fox
Originally posted by Impediment
This is the only one I could find, so far. I'm looking for more samples/media.

DwcLtrfz-Hk

Pretty good* , anything of Weavings portrayal ?

*Did anyone else find it odd Welker didn't mention about his former stint as Megatron ?

Impediment
Something else: A mini interview with Cullen and Welker.

-4tNz_3dGBA

Originally posted by grey fox
Pretty good* , anything of Weavings portrayal ?

*Did anyone else find it odd Welker didn't mention about his former stint as Megatron ?

I can't find anything with Weaving's voice. I'm guessing that it's a hush-hush thing until the movie's release.

grey fox
Originally posted by Impediment
Something else: A mini interview with Cullen and Welker.

-4tNz_3dGBA

I can't find anything with Weaving's voice. I'm guessing that it's a hush-hush thing until the movie's release.

f*ck

Menetnashté
eh, I voted before I heard Welker's voice, he still sounds great but I'm not sure if he'll be as good as Weaving, Weaving has a very powerful voice, I'm not sure if he'll top Welker though.

grey fox

Menetnashté
It's funny though , the old megatron looks reasonably smooth yet Welker did a scratchy 'sharp' voice , yet on the new 'I'm a walking pine tree' version of Megatron their giving him Agent Smith...
Lol, well in any case I think Hugo has a very thundering like voice, he'd play a better God than morgan Freeman

grey fox

Menetnashté
Nah , Freemen was going for a peaceful God feel, not a 'Old Testament' feel.
yeah, guess you're right.

Impediment
I'm actually anxious to hear what Weaving will sound like as Megatron, since there is absolutely no samples whatsoever.

Scythe
I've been lookin' for clips of what the movie rendition of Megatron will sound like and also found nothin'. Hmm.

Menetnashté
After seeing Welker in the video game I've concluded that he wouldn't be the best option for the new Megatron.

Scythe

Menetnashté
Originally posted by Scythe
Really? How come?
His voice just doesn't seem to fit the new look, it still sounds a lot like old Megatron but the new Megatron just looks so much different, I can picture Hugo doing it now and it seems more fitting.

xNIXSONx
i saw a clip of Megatron talking on the letterman show and its just i dont know how to describe it...i gotta hear it again, i dunno how hugo did that voice even w/ the vocal fx

Menetnashté
Link?!!?

Menetnashté
found it, or one...whatever.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2LoNrhRj4Y

xNIXSONx
the one from the letterman show was not like that youtube clip, it was REALLY intense, megatron/hugo goin "GIIIVE ME THE ALLSPAARRKK!!" and wahtnot it sounded nothing like hugo to me

Menetnashté
You're right he doesn't, it sounds awesome though! Here's the clip for those who have yet to see it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgkFM3M5exA

Scythe
Still have to get the game and watch the film.

Kento
I think Hugo Weaving did a good job but I think Frank Welker should have voiced him, well if he had more lines than what he had.

Menetnashté
Originally posted by Kento
I think Hugo Weaving did a good job but I think Frank Welker should have voiced him, well if he had more lines than what he had.
I really didn't like Frank Welker's voice from the video game as much as I liked Weaving's in the movie

xNIXSONx
watching the movie i knew it was Hugo but as i watched Megatron speak and such, it just didn't sound like him at all lol but then i noticed the subtleties in how he talks and you hear that mr smith thing lol

Strangelove
I say not Welker, because his voice wouldn't have worked in the film.

xNIXSONx
Welker sounds a bit different than before too.

Scythe
I played the game, and I loved Welker in it, I wish he would've done the film as well.

The big EH
actual i thought weaving did a good job but welver was way better, but they thought welver's voicing didn't sound right for it sad

super pr*xy
you can't really tell it's hugo... but i heard a bit of agent smith in his intonation...

"is it fear or courage that compells you?"

"this is my world!"

totally smith when he said those lines...

Scythe
Originally posted by xNIXSONx
Welker sounds a bit different than before too.

As did Optimus, but he still made it in both the film and the game.

xNIXSONx
Originally posted by super pr*xy
you can't really tell it's hugo... but i heard a bit of agent smith in his intonation...

"is it fear or courage that compells you?"

"this is my world!"

totally smith when he said those lines...

THATs the line where his smith comes in!! haha

and to Scythe, Cullen still sounds a bit more Prime just deeper and lower

Menetnashté
As did Optimus, but he still made it in both the film and the game.
Yeah but Prime's look didn't change, and Welker sounds a lot older than cullen.

InnerRise
I wish I had knew who did the voicing in the Movie so that I could have paid attention and caught those subtle cues of Smith breaking through.

I'm sure with all the computer effects available that Welker wouldn't have sounded that bad.

Anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

super pr*xy
i kinda heard something familiar about megraton's voice the first time i saw it. and by the time i watched the 2nd time, i knew it was hugo and there was definitely some smith in there...

Losty
dude, frank for the win, he IS MEGATRON!
Sorry hugo didnt do it for me

Newjak
Sorry I really did love the old school Megatron sound but after hearing Welker in the Video Game. I'm going to say they made the right decision. His voice seemed old, raspy, and just plain tired.

He did a good job for the game but I don't think his voice would have done well on the bigscreen.

Scythe
Cullen has aged, but think did alright for the guy who voiced Eeyore from Winnie The Pooh.

Also, Welker voiced George from Curious George in 2004...

Sadako of Girth
Welker all the way for me.

No other Megatron comes close for me, Im afraid....

Scythe
Originally posted by Sadako of Girth
Welker all the way for me.

No other Megatron comes close for me, Im afraid....

What did you think of Leonard Nemoy as Galvatron?

super pr*xy
Originally posted by xNIXSONx
watching the movie i knew it was Hugo but as i watched Megatron speak and such, it just didn't sound like him at all lol but then i noticed the subtleties in how he talks and you hear that mr smith thing lol

is it courage or fear that compels you mr. ander-- er... i mean fleshling... confused

Sadako of Girth
laughing out loud

Scythe
Have any of you guys heard Welker in the video game?

super pr*xy
i've heard bad bews about the game. i wouldn't doubt the suckiness since most movie based games suck balls. i could be mistaken though... can anyone give an unbiased opinion on the TF game?

Scythe
i've heard bad bews about the game. i wouldn't doubt the suckiness since most movie based games suck balls. i could be mistaken though... can anyone give an unbiased opinion on the TF game?

Sure, here goes.

The cons of the game.

It was rushed like every other movie based game.

Camera problems, but then again, nowadays, what game doesn't right?

Brings nothing new to the fray. Don't expect new playable characters or anything like that. You get to play as only the TF's seen onscreen. Yes, all of them, even Scorpinok. Well, alright, just one, Shockwave is in it.

Areas were limited. You have to stay within the vacinity of the missions.

It's difficult. No game difficulty setting option.

It's short.

and finally, there aren't enough pros for this game.

On to the pros.

G1 Optimus and Megatron are in this game via unlockable skins for Optimus and Megatron. ( If you're wondering how does Megatron go about flying in jet form when his G1 counterpart didn't have a jet form, he marely does the Superman thing and flies with his hands in the air. No joke )

It's fairly enjoyable, I had alot of fun driving/flying around.

Cullen and Welker lend their voices.

The controls are pretty tight. Except for the Wii version which felt alittle loose.

Graphically speaking, the PS3 and 360 versions look amazing.

Unlockable content is okay, not great, but I liked all the comic book covers they packed in.

And there you have, if you have any further unbaised questions, let me now.

grey fox
Sure, here goes.

The cons of the game.

It was rushed like every other movie based game.

Camera problems, but then again, nowadays, what game doesn't right?

Brings nothing new to the fray. Don't expect new playable characters or anything like that. You get to play as only the TF's seen onscreen. Yes, all of them, even Scorpinok. Well, alright, just one, Shockwave is in it.

Areas were limited. You have to stay within the vacinity of the missions.

It's difficult. No game difficulty setting option.

It's short.

and finally, there aren't enough pros for this game.

On to the pros.

G1 Optimus and Megatron are in this game via unlockable skins for Optimus and Megatron. ( If you're wondering how does Megatron go about flying in jet form when his G1 counterpart didn't have a jet form, he marely does the Superman thing and flies with his hands in the air. No joke )

It's fairly enjoyable, I had alot of fun driving/flying around.

Cullen and Welker lend their voices.

The controls are pretty tight. Except for the Wii version which felt alittle loose.

Graphically speaking, the PS3 and 360 versions look amazing.

Unlockable content is okay, not great, but I liked all the comic book covers they packed in.

And there you have, if you have any further unbaised questions, let me now.

I am so picking it up, JUST to have Megatron do Superman.

Ironically enough in the original Cartoon that IS how he flies laughing out loud

After seeing the move I'm unsure, I think welker could of done a job as GOOD AS Weaving, but not better.

They need to make a copy wherin Welker does all of Megatrons lines....

Sadako of Girth
What did you think of Leonard Nemoy as Galvatron?

Yup.... I actually prefered Nimoy's Galvatron to Welker's.
(I get the whole in-show insinuation Galvatron is meant to have completely gone insane after the events of the movie and his voice changed accordingly, but I think that his voice lacked the bass-end power to be truely terrifying.)

Welker's Galvatron sounded more like your generic Scooby Doo ghost type villian. Nimoy's was harsh, metallic and powerful.
When I read Galvatron in Marvel.... Its still Nimoy's voice in my head as Im reading.

And I admit that that is purely my preference and a lot prefer Welker's.

But Welker's Megatron rules all. Still.

One of the most distinct and easily identifiable voices Ive heard too.

Sadako of Girth
Have any of you guys heard Welker in the video game?

Yup. Saw a few clips of Cullen and Welker in the studio and his voice is still great. Sounds so classic.
His "DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEE, AUTOBOT!!!!!!!!!" was spot on to old megs. On the clip they hadn't added any modulation to their voices, but you could blatantly hear the coolness.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4tNz_3dGBA&mode=related&search=

grey fox
Yup.... I actually prefered Nimoy's Galvatron to Welker's.
(I get the whole in-show insinuation Galvatron is meant to have completely gone insane after the events of the movie and his voice changed accordingly, but I think that his voice lacked the bass-end power to be truely terrifying.)

Welker's Galvatron sounded more like your generic Scooby Doo ghost type villian. Nimoy's was harsh, metallic and powerful.
When I read Galvatron in Marvel.... Its still Nimoy's voice in my head as Im reading.

And I admit that that is purely my preference and a lot prefer Welker's.

But Welker's Megatron rules all. Still.

One of the most distinct and easily identifiable voices Ive heard too.

Have to agree, I was quite shocked they didn't consider Nemoy for Megatron in the movie...

Sadako of Girth
Ohh....in the Bay one...?

Hmmmmmmmm.

An interesting thought.

Scythe
Yeah, the game overall is just okay, but worth a good play through.

And yes, Nimoy was pretty good as Galvy.

super pr*xy
Yup. Saw a few clips of Cullen and Welker in the studio and his voice is still great. Sounds so classic.
His "DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEE, AUTOBOT!!!!!!!!!" was spot on to old megs. On the clip they hadn't added any modulation to their voices, but you could blatantly hear the coolness.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4tNz_3dGBA&mode=related&search=

that clip made me think of retired megatron and prime. just sitting in front of the old cybertronian retirement home, all rusted and sh!t sharing battle stories...

megatron: "hey prime... remember the time i totally pwned your ass?"

prime: "not really, megatron..."

megatron: "yeah, me either..."

prime: "oh, i just leaked a little..." confused

Scythe
Good ole' Starscream in the background wearing a grandmother wig.

Losty
who did starscreams voice?

FistOfThe North
Yes

Sadako of Girth
LOL Super pr*xy

Man those're gonna be some buttplugs...

T'was Chris Latta originally.... Can't remember the new dude's name though.
(I liked the Starscream voice in the movie. smile )

super pr*xy
robot chicken should totally do a misadventure of retired prime and megatron show like they did star wars...

i barely heard starscream in the movie, or i wasn't paying close attention, or i can't remember how he sounds. was it all high ptched and evil like the toons?

brainchild81
Not really. The voice was ok. Didn't have enough lines. C.Latta(RIP) set the bar too high. Frank should have been casted as Megatron.

Evil_Ash
They should have gotten this guy to voice Starscream stick out tongue

R-ItfWY3xMQ

Sadako of Girth
robot chicken should totally do a misadventure of retired prime and megatron show like they did star wars...

i barely heard starscream in the movie, or i wasn't paying close attention, or i can't remember how he sounds. was it all high ptched and evil like the toons?

Not too high pitched as such, but he did get that 'snidey-runt-waiting-to stab-you-in-the-back' element across as he was reporting to Megatron.

Sounded like how i'd imagine Starscream's older brother to sound. stick out tongue

Definitely sounded Starscream-esque.

brainchild81
Originally posted by Evil_Ash
They should have gotten this guy to voice Starscream stick out tongue

R-ItfWY3xMQ If that's not Latta himself it must be a clone of him. Damn good job & a hilarious vid.

Scythe
Starscream sounded like an average 25 year old guy in the flick.

Sadako of Girth
An average weaseley backstabbing, usurper of a 25 yr old. stick out tongue

Scythe
He just sounded much too young.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.