What form should they use for live action Soundwave/Blaster?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

illadelph12
I read an article that Soundwave was originally written into the script but due to Michael Bay wanting to keep the scale and physics as realistic as possible he opted to not have Soundwave's character in the first film, instead having Frenzy, Soundwave's tape bot, in the film as a CD boombox. This thread is to brainstorm ideas of what would be an acceptable alternate form for both Soundwave and Blaster to take in order for them to appear in the future films (if Bay doesn't allow for cartoon/comic physics to be used in the live action adaptation and have a tapedeck become 30 feet tall).

If you could pick a form for Soundwave or Blaster in the next film, what would it be?

Also for the triple changers (Astrotrain, likely an essential character, and Blitzwing, the Tank/Jet).

xNIXSONx
one of the things that really added fuel to the fire of bay-haters was that they were gonna make Soundwave a Helicopter or something.

Strangelove
A guitar no expression

Seriously though, an acceptable form for Soundwave would be some sort of military vehicle (as the Decepticons usually choose) that emits a high-frequency pitch or something that shatters glass or whatnot. Or a soundwave that is concussive.

ragesRemorse
A giant canon

The big EH
they'll probally have mass shifting he just didn't want it to be in first one

Impediment
Soundwave will be more received than Blaster, since he is a very recognizable Decepticon.

I imagine he could be made into a mobile dish/cannon, also to include his mini-bots like Laserbeak, Rumble, and Ravage.

Frenzy was cool in the movie, but his true master is Soundwave, not Barricade.

illadelph12
I was thinking some kind of communications vehicle myself. Like maybe a news van or a military comm unit with a dish.

xNIXSONx
he'd be a ****in decked out News broadcast Van if that at all lol

Newjak
Originally posted by illadelph12
I was thinking some kind of communications vehicle myself. Like maybe a news van or a military comm unit with a dish. Yeah that was what I was thinking sense he was primarily a communications/tech/recon guy. A mobile kind of tech lab vehicle would be good.

But if Soundwave is in then the other tape bots have to come in. What I would like to see is them being kind of add ons. Like a Labtop(Ravage), Video Camera (Laserbeak), another CD Player(Rumble)

The big EH
they should just leave him as beeing a boombox

Impediment
Originally posted by The big EH
they should just leave him as beeing a boombox

Negative.

stickman618
astrotrain could be a space shuttle/bullet train

the cement mixer constructicon should be a cement mixer truck, so he can move.

Hot Rod should be a customized street racer, with the signature flames

Scythe
Soundwave should be a space satellite that beams it's cassette minions to earth in order for them to aid the Decepticons.

Losty
I know a way they could EASYLY make him a massvive boob box and make it make sense

but im not telling ahaha

Scythe
Originally posted by Scythe
Soundwave should be a space satellite that beams it's cassette minions to earth in order for them to aid the Decepticons.

Man, I didn't realize at first how cool my idea was. Laser sharp-shooting from space. Awesome.

xNIXSONx
why not just make Soundwave a helicopter like the originally intended? or something else that wouldnt do his character any justice? jks

Scythe
Satellite!

Newjak
Satellite! A satellite isn't a bad idea at all. But it seems to me that would fit Shockwave better.

I still like the idea of a mobile communications lab or something where he can have a number of high tech gadgets for the Tapes.

Maybe a New Van. Would fit him I guess.

xNIXSONx
Originally posted by Newjak
A satellite isn't a bad idea at all. But it seems to me that would fit Shockwave better.

I still like the idea of a mobile communications lab or something where he can have a number of high tech gadgets for the Tapes.

Maybe a New Van. Would fit him I guess.

lol modified Dodge Durango Communications Van stick out tongue

roughrider
One of those stealth survellaince fighters. Or, how about he splits into 5 different smaller forms who transform - and call them ravage, buzzsaw, laserbeak, rumble, and either slugfest or overkill - and they gather information; they they all combine together to make soundwave. It would be a homage to how he kept them all inside his chest before, like they were one unit.

Scythe
Originally posted by roughrider
One of those stealth survellaince fighters. Or, how about he splits into 5 different smaller forms who transform - and call them ravage, buzzsaw, laserbeak, rumble, and either slugfest or overkill - and they gather information; they they all combine together to make soundwave. It would be a homage to how he kept them all inside his chest before, like they were one unit.

That would be nice. I like this idea and my Satellite idea. The solar wings of the satellit could come off and beam to earth as cassette tape shape decepticons. His chest could send a laser beam from space to do one hit kills or something.

illadelph12
Those are good ideas. I could see a satellite.

Only problem with that would be how would he be able to engage in combat? Would he just be comm and ops?

NPC
Roughrider hit on my idea, have all the cassette forms just transform together into soundwave. An he would just let one or 2 at any given time detach off of him to go for recon, stealth, ect.
Or even have them all split apart in the middle of combat to slip out of a hold then reform back into soundwave in favorable position.
But there shouldnt be any cassettes or cassette player forms as cassettes are out dated as someone pointed out to me, LOL. It was cool seeing that one transforming into a boom box in the movie. Nice little nod to soundwave
I always like soundwave the most from the cartoon, his voice is what made the character. They gotta have him in the next movie

Scythe
Those are good ideas. I could see a satellite.

Only problem with that would be how would he be able to engage in combat? Would he just be comm and ops?

Pretty much, Soundwave was always the comm and ops kinda bot.

Alpha Centauri
Soundwave was always able to fight, he just stayed in robot mode and either used weaponry or sound...waves. That said, if he was a satellite he could just fire...beams?

Soundwave is iconic because of what he was, that cool tape deck, and that's out of date now. If it's just gonna be Soundwave by name, they may as well not use him.

-AC

xNIXSONx
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Soundwave was always able to fight, he just stayed in robot mode and either used weaponry or sound...waves. That said, if he was a satellite he could just fire...beams?

Soundwave is iconic because of what he was, that cool tape deck, and that's out of date now. If it's just gonna be Soundwave by name, they may as well not use him.

-AC

exactly, and the hardcore fanbase hated and was offended by Bay for this...slapping the name Sounwave and other characters on anything that bears little to no resemblence to the character at all, yet here we are talking about Soundwave being a satellite or spy plane? if its just for the sake of having a character named Soundwave thats radically different from what he was, its not worth it...cuz he will be different...ex// Starscream, Megatron...

Alpha Centauri
I actually thought the only problem with Starscream was that he didn't get any time really, which is bad for such a character KNOWN for his character. He's not known as just being "The one who turns into a jet.", otherwise they could have had any of the seekers, he's known for being the sneaky second in command, that's what made him who he was, but there wasn't any of that.

There probably will be though, as he survived.

Michael Bay is good at making big budget movies about over-the-top things, filled with explosions, so honestly...who better to direct Transformers? Michel Gondry?

It's not a G1 movie, it's a G1 INSPIRED movie. I just went to see Transformers, not G1 Transformers.

They can't continue that with many sequels though, there needs to be more Transformers action.

-AC

-AC

xNIXSONx
I actually thought the only problem with Starscream was that he didn't get any time really, which is bad for such a character KNOWN for his character. He's not known as just being "The one who turns into a jet.", otherwise they could have had any of the seekers, he's known for being the sneaky second in command, that's what made him who he was, but there wasn't any of that.

There probably will be though, as he survived.

Michael Bay is good at making big budget movies about over-the-top things, filled with explosions, so honestly...who better to direct Transformers? Michel Gondry?

It's not a G1 movie, it's a G1 INSPIRED movie. I just went to see Transformers, not G1 Transformers.

They can't continue that with many sequels though, there needs to be more Transformers action.

-AC

-AC

i have no problems with the movie myself im just trying to speak for the hardcore fans. The Optimus Flames, the starscream bird legs thing...i thought starscream was kind of sneaky when he was perched on a few buildings away while megatron tried to get the allspark from Shia. Im just saying, i wanna see characters done properly, Blackout had a lot of names slapped to that him, like Soundwave, Vortex, Incinerator, even early production called him Devastator.

Like portraying characters somewhat close to what they were based on...but it is their personalities that make them who they are

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by xNIXSONx
i have no problems with the movie myself im just trying to speak for the hardcore fans. The Optimus Flames, the starscream bird legs thing...i thought starscream was kind of sneaky when he was perched on a few buildings away while megatron tried to get the allspark from Shia. Im just saying, i wanna see characters done properly, Blackout had a lot of names slapped to that him, like Soundwave, Vortex, Incinerator, even early production called him Devastator.

Like portraying characters somewhat close to what they were based on...but it is their personalities that make them who they are

In all honesty, if Optimus Prime having flames is that big a problem to people, then it's ridiculous. So what? He looked amazing. If you have a problem with the movie, you should have a problem with every other TF series that ISN'T G1. Optimus Prime had flames on his truck, big deal. Beast Wars made him a gorilla called Optimus Primal, that's a sight worse.

Transformers is a franchise with many continuities and variations. It's not all meant to be G1.

People don't want to see characters done "properly", in that case. They want characters done exactly like their G1 counterparts with absolutely no deviation, and it's ridiculous.

As an aside, Vortex would have actually been a great name for Blackout, considering Vortex was a Combaticon who had an alt mode that looked remarkably similar to Blackout's, the helicopter.

Originally I heard that they called the tank, Brawl. He certainly looks like Brawl from the cartoons/comics, but they called him Devestator, which was a bit odd, but nothing that bothered me too much.

-AC

darthmaul1
I though the movie was done quite well, a guy I play poker with was very disapointed that Megatron was not a cannon / gun?? this work OK for the cartoon, but when you think about it it's a pretty usless thing to change into as another decepticon has to be there to help u.
Now as for sound wave i was thinking he could be an f117 stealth bomer, apache helicopter of even better the sr-71 blackbird(for running recon missions) and when he transforms into robot he could have all the smaller robots that he as on him as maybe missles?

xNIXSONx
In all honesty, if Optimus Prime having flames is that big a problem to people, then it's ridiculous. So what? He looked amazing. If you have a problem with the movie, you should have a problem with every other TF series that ISN'T G1. Optimus Prime had flames on his truck, big deal. Beast Wars made him a gorilla called Optimus Primal, that's a sight worse.

Transformers is a franchise with many continuities and variations. It's not all meant to be G1.

People don't want to see characters done "properly", in that case. They want characters done exactly like their G1 counterparts with absolutely no deviation, and it's ridiculous.

As an aside, Vortex would have actually been a great name for Blackout, considering Vortex was a Combaticon who had an alt mode that looked remarkably similar to Blackout's, the helicopter.

Originally I heard that they called the tank, Brawl. He certainly looks like Brawl from the cartoons/comics, but they called him Devestator, which was a bit odd, but nothing that bothered me too much.

-AC

i have no problem with the movie, i love michael bay's TFs movie. flames or no flames, doesnt matter to me at all. im just trying to be the devil's advocate and say like, do we really want to have Soundwave for the sake of just having him? people love him because he was a boombox, well atleast thats why i liked him.

But i guess itll be like the Spider-man 2 movie, not bad at all, but Doc Ock's personality was completely different from the original source. he was originally really evil, and in sp2 he is a genuine guy, a mentor figure to peter parker, turned evil by a.i. tentacles for a dramatic effect...

Scythe

-AC

Having said that, they'll probably update him into of all thing, an iPhone or even an iPod. That would suck.

Sadako of Girth
I read an article that Soundwave was originally written into the script but due to Michael Bay wanting to keep the scale and physics as realistic as possible he opted to not have Soundwave's character in the first film, instead having Frenzy, Soundwave's tape bot, in the film as a CD boombox. This thread is to brainstorm ideas of what would be an acceptable alternate form for both Soundwave and Blaster to take in order for them to appear in the future films (if Bay doesn't allow for cartoon/comic physics to be used in the live action adaptation and have a tapedeck become 30 feet tall).

If you could pick a form for Soundwave or Blaster in the next film, what would it be?

Well............... since Bay broke his own rule with a size/mass-shifting allspark,
I'd say have Soundwave as a Tape Cassette deck-like MP-3 player that turns into a 35ft robot, and maybe Blaster could be a red/yellow and grey boombox that turns into a 35ft robot also. smile

Alpha Centauri
None.

He's iconic because of what he was, it wouldn't be the same if he was changed. Prowl can be any model of police car as long as he's a police car, Soundwave can't be an iPod.

-AC

Sadako of Girth
Not an IPod, that WOULD suck. But a boombox/tape deck (just like he was) but just updated to be able to play modern formats too. That'd do me.

Sadako of Girth
And Prowl turning up as a clapped out early-nineties Yugo converted to police use wouldn't amuse me much..... wink

roughrider
Originally posted by Sadako of Girth
Well............... since Bay broke his own rule with a size/mass-shifting allspark,
I'd say have Soundwave as a Tape Cassette deck-like MP-3 player that turns into a 35ft robot, and maybe Blaster could be a red/yellow and grey boombox that turns into a 35ft robot also. smile

I suppose because it was the Allspark it could do that. It's just a conduit for raw energy, not a functioning living form.

Whoever said it was good Megatron didn't turn into the Walther handgun like before, made a good call. How come we never thought about it? He's useless in that mode unless someone pulls his trigger. Never occured to me growing up.

Alpha Centauri
I was thinking today how obvious a solution it would have been to use some of the Alternators, but I guess they still look too human-esque.

-AC

Swanky-Tuna
I'd be happy if Soundwave was a communications truck of some kind as long as he had The Voice and they tried to do some kind of cassette-like chest thing. Which even as I type sounds nigh impossible to do without it being corny.

xNIXSONx
Originally posted by Swanky-Tuna
I'd be happy if Soundwave was a communications truck of some kind as long as he had The Voice and they tried to do some kind of cassette-like chest thing. Which even as I type sounds nigh impossible to do without it being corny.

yeah but the other fans wouldnt be happy unless Soundwave is Soundwave and that is a tape deck/boombox, afterall, their complaints, and death threats to michael bay are we got Optimus Prime to look more similar to his g1 look, early concept design of Optimus looks NOTHING like optimus at all.

roughrider
Originally posted by xNIXSONx
yeah but the other fans wouldnt be happy unless Soundwave is Soundwave and that is a tape deck/boombox, afterall, their complaints, and death threats to michael bay are we got Optimus Prime to look more similar to his g1 look, early concept design of Optimus looks NOTHING like optimus at all.

But people still use & drive trucks in society. No one uses a portable tape player anymore, and they don't use cassettes. Soundwave and Blaster will have to be changed and updated to fit in.
The changes they made to Optimus were minor - they were trying to honour his G1 look as much as possible early on. I've seen the before & after head shots of him & Megatron; minor adjustments, after listening to the fans opinion.
And Soundwave shouldn't talk with that broken sentence structure anyway; it's not logical. He never talked that way in the comics. Just as Grimlock shouldn't sound like an idiot talking in the third person, or Seaspray the hydrofoil talking like he was gargling water.

Sadako of Girth
I was thinking today how obvious a solution it would have been to use some of the Alternators, but I guess they still look too human-esque.

-AC

I hear you, but would that really bother they people who gave Prime humanoid lips...?
Every TF minus Skorponok was bi-pedal and had two arms too. (And even then, the toy version has a bi-pedal robot mode.
And the heads (except form Bonecrusher) were where our heads are too.

I think a good compromise would have been to have the alternator type body designs, but, with the slightly more "alienesque" looking faces/heads even.
Perhaps more surface rendering on robot mode maybe...( Like the MP figures)

They could've done that well.

Scythe
Not an IPod, that WOULD suck.

Indeed, how much you wanna bet people will still eat it up?

Sadako of Girth
laughing out loud True.

Losty
Ok
Im just gonna say it

As soundwave beams down to earth there is a audio expo on, there making tributes to all the forms of audio there, ie vinyl, a-track, cd and yes cassette, one of the displays is a giant boom box with giant cassettes as props for the display, they have electronic working parts in them for lights ect, sound wav scans it and rumble, laser beak, rat bat and any other robots are all made of this, then a larger decpticon who also arrives with them, transports them around

Copyright 2007

Sadako of Girth
I like your thinking.

Maybe he could overcome the 'not blending in due to oversizedness in that mode' thing by attaching himself to the book arm of the Statue of Liberty.

Shes kinda lonely out there and could probably use being livened up with some tunes to keep her company when Soundwave isn't busy squashing visiting tourists into pink slime. big grin

Swanky-Tuna
I like your thinking.

Maybe he could overcome the 'not blending in due to oversizedness in that mode' thing by attaching himself to the book arm of the Statue of Liberty.

Shes kinda lonely out there and could probably use being livened up with some tunes to keep her company when Soundwave isn't busy squashing visiting tourists into pink slime. big grin
*Two minutes after Soundwave attaches himself*

Sightseer: There's a big ****ing tape deck stuck to the Statue of Liberty!

Sadako of Girth
lol

Exactamundo

Those'd be some memorable last words. laughing out loud

roughrider
Originally posted by Losty
Ok
Im just gonna say it

As soundwave beams down to earth there is a audio expo on, there making tributes to all the forms of audio there, ie vinyl, a-track, cd and yes cassette, one of the displays is a giant boom box with giant cassettes as props for the display, they have electronic working parts in them for lights ect, sound wav scans it and rumble, laser beak, rat bat and any other robots are all made of this, then a larger decpticon who also arrives with them, transports them around

Copyright 2007

And then he reports to Megatron, who says: "You fool! Who told you to turn into a piece of old, useless earth technology?! What use to me are you like that?? And you're only four feet tall as a robot! (slaps Soundwave down) Look at Ravage! Laserbeak! Buzzsaw! They're only a foot tall each! That size morphing trick was empty hype, have you forgotten??? (kicks him away) Report back to me when you've chosen a decent disguise! big grin

Scythe
Hahaha, he could turn out being a pager. Hooray for the 1990's!

Losty
Originally posted by roughrider
And then he reports to Megatron, who says: "You fool! Who told you to turn into a piece of old, useless earth technology?! What use to me are you like that?? And you're only four feet tall as a robot! (slaps Soundwave down) Look at Ravage! Laserbeak! Buzzsaw! They're only a foot tall each! That size morphing trick was empty hype, have you forgotten??? (kicks him away) Report back to me when you've chosen a decent disguise! big grin

hahaha laughing out loud

Sadako of Girth
"Although the initial risks were high, Soundwave now felt pleased with his decision to adopt an alt mode of a roll of toiletpaper.........."

Scythe
Soundwave could still be a tapedeck, someone who refuses to let go of the 1980's has been using him to start their failed solo career.

Sadako of Girth
*Cue Michael Jackson's doing the soundtrack to TF2* stick out tongue

Scythe
For that matter Soundwave should be the lit up tiles Jackson uses to light where the f*ck he's going.

Sadako of Girth
:rofl:

Epecially for touring those dark backwater countries with virtually non-existant child-sex laws that he has hung in over the last couple of years. sad

Apparently Jackson approached George Lucas in the early nineties and asked him to make a film/ride where he transforms into a car so the little boys could ride inside him. messed

Lucas, sensibly, declined.

Creepy Jackson/TF-ish trivia for you, there.

Scythe
:rofl:

Epecially for touring those dark backwater countries with virtually non-existant child-sex laws that he has hung in over the last couple of years. sad

Apparently Jackson approached George Lucas in the early nineties and asked him to make a film/ride where he transforms into a car so the little boys could ride inside him. messed

Lucas, sensibly, declined.

Creepy Jackson/TF-ish trivia for you, there.

Thanks, I can die happy now. Hahaha, what a weirdo Jackson has become. I mean seriously. Anyhoo, back on topic.

Did any of you guys read that early mock-script that introduced Soundwave as a mechanical bat?

Sadako of Girth
Ahhhhhh they were thinking of going the Ratbat way, huh...?
Nah I didnt see that.

The first reports I heard on Soundwave's alt mode had him down as a helicopter that was featured in early animatic prelims..

I missed the Batscript.

Scythe
Ahhhhhh they were thinking of going the Ratbat way, huh...?
Nah I didnt see that.

The first reports I heard on Soundwave's alt mode had him down as a helicopter that was featured in early animatic prelims..

I missed the Batscript.

Yeah, he was apparently slated as his Bat-tape that was looking for a host. My say probably Megatron or something. But all that was just professional lookin' fan-fic. Still got a good laugh out of it though.

Sadako of Girth
smile

Scythe
Yeah, so here's hoping he's not turned into an iPhone or some shit like that.

Sadako of Girth
Indeed.

Sadako of Girth
Well heres a soundwave Mp3 player for yuz.
http://www.seibertron.com/toys/gallery.php?id=1349&size=0&start=100

I rest my case. stick out tongue

roughrider
The good part about saving him for the next film, is that there will be a fight for Decepticon leadership. Starscream will be in there of course, but Soundwave & Shockwave should get in there too.

No one has ideas, about how to do Blaster?

Scythe
Soundwave Vs. Starscream in the next flick? That sounds great.

Sadako of Girth
That would be in line with all we know about their relationship.

(Begins hunting that mp3 player)

Scythe
It's for sale? Oh crap, I want one!

Sadako of Girth
Yup its out there. smile

Scythe
It's expensively out there...

Sadako of Girth
For now.

Patience, young Jedi..... shifty

darthmaul1
Just don't put the stupid Dinobots in there,
And as for soundwave as I said they should make him into the SR-71 blackbird spyplane and have the robots that were tapes become the missles, That would be sweet. soundwave was use for recon in teh cartoon so him as a very fast spy plane would be great and suiting.

Sadako of Girth
Laptops and Desktop towers would be a cool way of collecting data.. logically speaking..

A keyboard? Keystroke data collection etc...

But that would be a poop redesign for the characters though.

Scythe
Satellite ftw...

Orbius

-AC

Actually it was Brawl. The reason he was called Devastator was an oversight, as in, the makers didn't notice it, and it got in before anyone saw the mistake, and couldn't have been redone.

Scythe
Yeah.

Sadako of Girth
Silly sods.

Scythe
What?

Sadako of Girth
Speilberg and co.

Allowing that idiot control to the point that on his first movie of the franchise, he corners himself with his own lack of TFs knowledge on the first movie by misnaming Brawl as Devasator and then not even caring about the misnaming his personally was responsible for.

How hard would it have been to change a subtitle on the released DVD to correct his mistake...? But nnnnnoooooooooooooooooooooo, power hungry egotists are never ever wrong, are they...?

A Devastator in the 'Constructicons' sense, would now not presumably, be an option. And since Brawl was killed in the movie too, (as 'devastator') we could safely assume that the Combaticons/Bruticus would also not be an option either.

The biggest "Silly sods" inspirer is that they allowed this guy the rights to work on the sequel....

Darth Macabre
I think having Soundwave as a satellite truck, with Rumble, Ravage, Laserbeak, Buzzsaw, Ratbat be the satellites would be awesome. That way, it includes what he's good at, transmitting sounds and messages, plus it has all of his partners (who, when transformed, would be the size of Frenzy). I envision Soundwave being the size of the white truck in the picture.

tabby999
Originally posted by Newjak
Yeah that was what I was thinking sense he was primarily a communications/tech/recon guy. A mobile kind of tech lab vehicle would be good.

But if Soundwave is in then the other tape bots have to come in. What I would like to see is them being kind of add ons. Like a Labtop(Ravage), Video Camera (Laserbeak), another CD Player(Rumble)

Whats the bet Rumbe will be a iPod, such an easy way to make some money from Apple.

grey fox
http://fc02.deviantart.com/fs14/i/2007/064/e/8/Soundwave_Wallpaper_by_timshinn73.jpg

Toku King
Soundwave - One of those square cars, like his TFAS design.

Skywarp - Stealth Bomber

Shockwave - Cybertronian Cannon

Blitzwing - F-21/Tank

Ratbat - Boombox

Ravage - Motorcycle

Toku King
Originally posted by grey fox
http://fc02.deviantart.com/fs14/i/2007/064/e/8/Soundwave_Wallpaper_by_timshinn73.jpg

My god........... That is incredible! Oh please please please please tell me that that'll be in the film! They should lengthen and bulk up his arms a bit, but besides that, I am beyond impressed!

grey fox
Originally posted by Toku King
My god........... That is incredible! Oh please please please please tell me that that'll be in the film! They should lengthen and bulk up his arms a bit, but besides that, I am beyond impressed!

I'm afraid it's just fan-art, well made incredibly detailed fan-art, but still fan-art.

Scythe
It looks legit doesn't it? Well who knows, Bay has been noted to answer to his petty death-threats issued out to him. It's what caused him to change Optimus Prime's color scheme and face for the movie to look more G1-ish. He might get enough shit and threats to go with something along those lines.

Darth Macabre
Originally posted by grey fox
I'm afraid it's just fan-art, well made incredibly detailed fan-art, but still fan-art. Even still, it's pretty sweet, and I would not mind at all in having that be Soundwave's form.

Scythe
He won't look that G1 related.

Sadako of Girth
Or even TFs related, if the design feel of the 1st Bay movie...

Scythe
Most of them looked TF related imo, sure that most of the Decepticons looked like metal spiders after abit of staring, but most of the Autobots and a few decepticons did look like TF's, they tried to achieve a level of modernism, which I think they slightly tapped, however, it's gonna need more time to seee the direction of thesee bots come later sequels

Sadako of Girth
Name one G1 TF that looked like Frenzy did.

Or Megatron did.

Or Skorponok did.

Then consider how much TF screentime those "characters" got.

They as an overall whole just looked over engineered, not enough defining lines, and to much "innards on the outside" taking away from the armoured toughness look. They look like you could reach in cut the wires and innards so easily that you could take 'em out with a paperclip and an elastic band. Pure Bionicle, Zoid terminator/generic robot rendering.

They might have resemble the design ethos in some of the more recent stuff, but not the G1, simpler, immediately more indentifiable look, which actually conveyed character and made those charaters cool..

When you look at the the 'alternators' series as a "what could have been" lookwise, then you'll probably see what I mean.

Scythe
Well Optims for one looked semi-G1. The windshield chest, the matrix inside him. Red, blue, samurai-like face. He looked G1 inspired. As did Jazz, his bunny ears and shades made him look Jazzy!

Starscream looked somewhat G1 with his wings on his back and his cockpit on his chest.

Frenzy was almost a little man, in the film....Frenzy was a little man...

Sadako of Girth
Well Optims for one looked semi-G1. The windshield chest, the matrix inside him. Red, blue, samurai-like face. He looked G1 inspired. As did Jazz, his bunny ears and shades made him look Jazzy!

Starscream looked somewhat G1 with his wings on his back and his cockpit on his chest.

Frenzy was almost a little man, in the film....Frenzy was a little man...

Prime's face mask? Occasionally.

Nope that wasn't the Matrix inside of him, so that doesn't count either.
Things like the wind shield chest do look a bit G1 so fair play there.
With him as the main focus (along with Bumblebee) they had to register some sort of Op vibe.

Starscream looked way too King Kong to be a G1.
Now if the character was meant to be Apeface.... I could believe it. He also has never had an ant-face.
The wings being there could also just as easily have been a Robotech thing, a gobot thing....

So looking like a little man is now the g1ness measuring stick...?
Sounds like if Tom Cruise'll be on screen as Rumble in "2" then , he'd be G1 eh...? Well why not? Even with no CGI he looks more like Rumble and Frenzy than the vertically stacked pile of welding rods and tin foil that was in this movie.

Show us any pics of the above mentioned G1 characters looking like their movie counterparts. Can't. Can you...?

Nope. And neither could I.

Scythe
You don't think Jazz looked G1?

Sadako of Girth
Nope.

It takes more than an eyevisor to do that, Im afraid.
And they also butchered the character.

Scythe
Really? Hmm, guess it all goes on opinions, he looked very G1 to me. He was a chick car back in G1 too, hahaha.

Sadako of Girth
Yeah but he was cool (if slightly hammy) back then.
A warm and intelligent character that didn't sound like the dumbest gangsta thung in movie history. That was grieves me about the changes they made for the new Jazz. And while the chest being the hood and the arms spouting out of the sides look the whole rendering just looked too "un-cybertronian" if that makes any sense. And, like the others, the over-complicated rendering made it difficult at times to see what was going on with the guy in action.

Don't get me wrong, Jazz was one of the more g1ish of them, and you're right, it is all subjective I guess but for my tastes it was 'close but no cigar'.

Scythe
Yeah but he was cool (if slightly hammy) back then.
A warm and intelligent character that didn't sound like the dumbest gangsta thung in movie history. That was grieves me about the changes they made for the new Jazz. And while the chest being the hood and the arms spouting out of the sides look the whole rendering just looked too "un-cybertronian" if that makes any sense. And, like the others, the over-complicated rendering made it difficult at times to see what was going on with the guy in action.

Don't get me wrong, Jazz was one of the more g1ish of them, and you're right, it is all subjective I guess but for my tastes it was 'close but no cigar'.

Yeah. Again, this was all due to the "modernization" of the bots. I for one would've laughed if they would have retained their blocky G1 look in the live-action movie, but I also would've felt like they needed to be redone to look "futuristic." Also, I can't help to wonder that the lack of writers and designers from the comic series are what "messed" up their look.

Sadako of Girth
Actaully a lot of it will be because Bay wanted to have his own designs so he could make cash from. And the models of vehicles that he was given to choose from from -effectively- his sponsors, GMC.

THATS what they changed. sad
They easily could've gone with the G1 designs, but updated the skin rendering to modernize and it would be a winner.

If you wanna talk bulk and block, just look at Barricade, Blackout, Ratchet and Ironhide.

Therefore the 'it couldn't look like blocky g1' excuse Bay put out and so many people bought, is flimsy.

Like the no massshifting/"Oh when it suits we'll break that rule" thing.
sad

He just wanted his own thing he could make money from for him and his friends. If he had to mess up the subject he was making that cash on the back of in order to make it "his".....so be it.

Scythe
Yeah, but I would've enjoyed a blocky bot movie, haha.

Sadako of Girth
Well, my argument is that it wouldn't have looked a great deal blockier anyhow.

And they could apply all the microdetailing they liked if they stuck to at least somehow the forms from say the alternators or Masterpiece ranges then I'd eaeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasssssssily have more respect for the output, but Bay had be greedy..

Scythe
Yeah.

Tenebrous
soundwave is confirmed for TF2

http://movies.ign.com/articles/874/874632p1.html evil face

Scythe
Yeah I read that, let's hope he's not an upset.

vandalworks
i'd like to see them do with soundwave what they've done with devastator but in an inverted way.

soundwave, ravage, rumble and laserbeak combined make a vehicle, but with robots they're all seperate. flips the idea of devastater around. i think a recon vehicle would probably be best.

as for triple changers, i dont think the idea would work so well in the film, if pulled off though it would be good to see them transform

Sadako of Girth
Originally posted by vandalworks
i'd like to see them do with soundwave what they've done with devastator but in an inverted way.

soundwave, ravage, rumble and laserbeak combined make a vehicle, but with robots they're all seperate. flips the idea of devastater around. i think a recon vehicle would probably be best.

as for triple changers, i dont think the idea would work so well in the film, if pulled off though it would be good to see them transform

Cool Soundwave+cassettes idea, at least it'd acknowledge the relationships.

vandalworks
thats what i was thinking... a sort of parental relationship. they could even have one of the 'offspring' die and soundwave goes a bit mad.

darthmaul1
soundwave they should make him into the SR-71 blackbird spyplane and have the robots that were tapes become the missles, That would be sweet. soundwave was use for recon in teh cartoon so him as a very fast spy plane would be great and suiting.

saintsaucey
http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss273/mr_brighteyes/Soundwave.jpg?t=1245119454 My pick for soundwave if they hadn't done the satalite.

and for Blaster (who for some reason I always thought was called Getto Blaster) http://www.benlevy.com/auto/show/dub06/img_8347.jpg

Darth Rex
What about an aircraft carrier and Blaster could be like the planes that join together to make his robot mode or something like that.

shiv022626369
Hi Guy
This is pretty much the way it works in his movies. Magneto bent Wolverine's claws in the train scene and he was shot through the brain in the latest film and the adamantium reverted to normal.

In the comics, this may not be the case but there is a Wolverine one-shot called inner fury where he is infected with nanites which causes his healing factor to attack the adamantium on his bones. He ends up becoming deformed and his claws are exposed as bone. At the end of the comic, he pops his bone claws into his brain and it reboots his immune system. The Adamantium ends up reforming back on his bones. The comic came out in 1992 before Magneto pulled the adamantium from his bones, so it may not be cannon.

roughrider
Originally posted by shiv022626369
Hi Guy
This is pretty much the way it works in his movies. Magneto bent Wolverine's claws in the train scene and he was shot through the brain in the latest film and the adamantium reverted to normal.

In the comics, this may not be the case but there is a Wolverine one-shot called inner fury where he is infected with nanites which causes his healing factor to attack the adamantium on his bones. He ends up becoming deformed and his claws are exposed as bone. At the end of the comic, he pops his bone claws into his brain and it reboots his immune system. The Adamantium ends up reforming back on his bones. The comic came out in 1992 before Magneto pulled the adamantium from his bones, so it may not be cannon.

And what does this have to do with anything in this thread? Or this forum? What the f**k?

(Oh - Magneto didn't bend Wolvie's claws; he caused them to spread out where there could be micromilimetres of space, at his knuckles. Did you see them change any shape other than being straight?
And those adamantium slugs didn't penetrate his skull - did you see blood, or holes in his skull? It was just the blunt force trauma that caused his memory loss. It's not that good of a reason for it to happen - but then, it's not that much better in the comics, since his healing factor should act against brainwashing.)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.