Worshiping less than perfect

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

PITT_HAPPENS
Why would you worship something that is less then perfect meaning something that is not all knowing and all powerful?

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by PITT_HAPPENS
Why would you worship something that is less then perfect meaning something that is not all knowing and all powerful?

I don't know. Why would anyone worship in the first place? confused I believe that the universe is a living being, but I would never worship the universe, or would I think the universe would want me too. In my religion, I practice; I do not worship.

Burning thought
imo worship is ridiculous ,if i was an all powerful being i would feel insulted to have people build these tiny specks called churches, when with a wave of my hand i could create millions that are thousands times grander.

Dr. Zaius
Let me ask this question: What feelings of worship does a perfect, Aristotelian unmoved, prime-mover illicit? Answer: None. It's a philosophical abstraction. The central point of the Hebrew scriptures seems to be that God is alive and, in some analagous sense, a person. Many of God's various philosophical perfections are not really present to the text.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Dr. Zaius
Let me ask this question: What feelings of worship does a perfect, Aristotelian unmoved, prime-mover illicit? Answer: None. It's a philosophical abstraction. The central point of the Hebrew scriptures seems to be that God is alive and, in some analagous sense, a person. Many of God's various philosophical perfections are not really present to the text.

Then god would be like a powerful alien. Why worship a powerful alien?

Dr. Zaius
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
Then god would be like a powerful alien. Why worship a powerful alien?

Because your conclusion from my argument that God is just a powerful alien doesn't really hold. For God to be God, his being would have to be of another order, in fact, something like the precondition for life or consciousness itself. A being who's personhood is primary and uncaused with respect to the material order.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Dr. Zaius
Because your conclusion from my argument that God is just a powerful alien doesn't really hold. For God to be God, his being would have to be of another order, in fact, something like the precondition for life or consciousness itself. A being who's personhood is primary and uncaused with respect to the material order.

OK, but I still don't see any reason to worship. Respect, yes, but worship is not respect.

Bardock42

Because it could still kick your ass big time?

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Bardock42

That would not be worship; that would be fair.

PITT_HAPPENS
Because it could still kick your ass big time? Best answer yet stick out tongue

Shakyamunison
Best answer yet stick out tongue

Hey! my answer was good too. crybaby

PITT_HAPPENS

Dr. Zaius

laughing

Emperor Ashtar
Is this question for individuals who take the Bible literally? 313

PITT_HAPPENS
Originally posted by Emperor Ashtar
Is this question for individuals who take the Bible literally? 313 No, it is for anyone that believes in any deity.

Shakyamunison
No, it is for anyone that believes in any deity.

You need to be more inclusive, man. roll eyes (sarcastic) laughing

Emperor Ashtar
What exactly do you mean by "less Perfect"?

Shakyamunison
What exactly do you mean by "less Perfect"?

Please don't kill this thread. eek!

PITT_HAPPENS
What exactly do you mean by "less Perfect"? Meaning they are not all powerful and all knowing which means that they can make mistakes.

Emperor Ashtar
Meaning they are not all powerful and all knowing which means that they can make mistakes.
Well, like I said before a Diety is a contruct most of the time and not a person. They can be personified, but I don't know if they are people. Anyway, to answer your question I believe in diety's out of respect for how they effect my life.

PITT_HAPPENS

Emperor Ashtar
Oh, then I'm not applicable, since I do not believe in invisible Sky Fathers.

PITT_HAPPENS
Oh, then I'm not applicable, since I do not believe in invisible Sky Fathers. Odin wink

Shakyamunison

PITT_HAPPENS
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
You mean like William Shatner? laughing Now he is a god flex

Alfheim

PITT_HAPPENS
Originally posted by Alfheim
That just sounds ignorant, its like you judge all religons by your negative experiences with Christanity. Christians fear God so everybody else must. roll eyes (sarcastic) In Heathenism you dont "worship" the gods out of fear. You worship them because they are your family. For example Thor was sometimes refered to as a friend to his followers. Hell followers of Odin uses to call him a traitor. If you read the Norse sagas when Odin would turn up people wouldnt even stop what they were doing.

I worship the gods out of love. I think religon is like sexuality either it appeals to you or it doesnt. Im not going to get punished if I dont worship the gods its up to me, but like all relationships you should treat people with respect. I'm not sure what you are trying to say here, but why would you "worship" someone that is not all powerful and not all knowing?

Alfheim

PITT_HAPPENS
At the core that is why I believe most followers of the Christian faith follow the teachings is because of the fear that they will be sent to hell. Even one of the common phrases is "God fearing man".

I can see respecting and taking heed the advice of someone that is more powerful or knowledgeable, but I'm referring to more of those that worship them meaning you devote your entire life to their teaching and live by it.

ADarksideJedi

That is what you think!Pray is very imporant to do if you are a christian.It is supose to bring you closer to God.Unlike medaiting you are talkig to God not demons.
You should really check praying out before saying that it is less then perfect.Get your facts right also.jm smile

PITT_HAPPENS
Originally posted by ADarksideJedi
That is what you think!Pray is very imporant to do if you are a christian.It is supose to bring you closer to God.Unlike medaiting you are talkig to God not demons.
You should really check praying out before saying that it is less then perfect.Get your facts right also.jm smile What the hell did you just say? I said nothing about praying or meditating so where did you get that from? I don't know what facts I'm supposed to get straight because I asked a question not posting facts.

Bardock42
Originally posted by ADarksideJedi
You should really check praying out before saying that it is less then perfect.Get your facts right also.jm smile

You are soo dumb, it is frightening.

Alfheim
At the core that is why I believe most followers of the Christian faith follow the teachings is because of the fear that they will be sent to hell. Even one of the common phrases is "God fearing man".

Thats common in Abrahamic faiths.

I can see respecting and taking heed the advice of someone that is more powerful or knowledgeable, but I'm referring to more of those that worship them meaning you devote your entire life to their teaching and live by it.

Well in heathenism we devote our lives to the gods, alfs and their teachings as well. shrug

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.