overlord 360

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ragesRemorse
Overlord is a simple teen rated game. You assume control of a new dark overlord in the world of evil. You are awakened from a deep sleep, and must rebuild your castle of evil. to do this you have to travel the lands reeking havoc on the lands to regain vital parts of your castle. The game mixes a sense of real time strategy with a 3rd person action twist.
Instead of commanding armies you comand small hordes of minions. Evil little buggers which resemble the creatures from the gremlin movies. You start out commanding five warrior type minions, and increase your command upwards to 20 at a time. There are several races of minions, some are simple soldier types and others are projectile focused minions. At times you will need to negotiate how you command certain minions to solve certain puzzles, or take down enemies.

I have been playing this game for about three days now, and i am ready to return it to blockbuster in hopes that the darkness is in. For the first few hours, the game feels charming and almost fresh. The combination of Real time strategy and 3rd person adventure is an idea that seems appealing, but has rarely ever been accomplished, and i cannot say that this is an example. Although the controls are very intuitive, most times they just seem to not respond properly. Up untill the point where you have to place several different minions of different abilities in different areas while in the heat of battle the game is fun. However, when this portion of the game is reached, the game falls apart and the fun factor dies quickly replaced by frustration.
Your different races of minions are mapped out on a menu, To acces this menu and your specified race of minion, you have to tap the right bumper, and press the button that coorelates to the race on the menu. The race menu is set up as a cros formation like most other games. the Y, B,A, and X button acces different races. You then have to press the r stick to pull up the full scale camera mode, Then while holding in the right trigger you can control your minions with the right stick. To position your minions, you must move them to where you want them to stay and press the Y button, and most times they dont stay.
Im sure its not as complicated as i make it sound, but it certainly becomes a struggle against teh controls. When your minions die, you can re spawn them at spawning pits. So, many times you find yourself walking across long distances to find another spawning pit to get more minions in order to proceed.

though the game has a little charm, and the graphics are nice. The broken and aggrivating controls undermine the entire expereince. The Teen rating also seems to hinder the more in depth humor it could have. However, there is some fun to be had i suppose, i give it a 5/10

BlaxicanHydra
Yeah I played the demo, and I agree with most of what you said.

Menetnashté
I didn't like it, found it fun to the point where i burned the dwarves, then it got old.

Darth Extecute
I've only tried the demo, but so far, I think Overlord might be a great success.. I've always been fond in games like it, only in Strategy.. For example, Dungeon Keepers, where it's a tad bit jokingly, exhaterated evil..

Lana
I spent about an hour playing it the other night when I was at work and I loved it...

And personally, I didn't find the controls any sort of problem at all, and that was my first time actually playing a 360 beyond just playing Guitar Hero.

Violent2Dope
I've only seen commercials and looked up stuff online about it, and it made me want an XBOX360 even more.

Slay
I liked it. The controls didn't annoy me at all. The only critique I really had on it was that the animations were a bit dodgy at times, especially for a 360 game. Maybe I'm a bit biased though, the game is made by a Dutch developer, and when it comes to games nothing but shit comes from my country, so I was happy with at least one game that isn't mediocre...

Burning thought
360 ime unsure about but it worked fine for the PC and if you play it quickly enough through (completion within about a day or two) then it may not get old fast although it isnt one i would be playing again for a long while

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by Lana
I spent about an hour playing it the other night when I was at work and I loved it...

And personally, I didn't find the controls any sort of problem at all, and that was my first time actually playing a 360 beyond just playing Guitar Hero.

The controls were fine up until you reached the part of the game where you had four different species of minions to cycle through

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.