Mario Kart Wii

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

pinkfloydkor
super exited about this game, the new karts look awesome

anyone know where you can find that video they showed at E3?

Superboy Prime
You can probably look it up in youtube.

Wii kart hmm? Sounds interesting.

pinkfloydkor
yeah i checked, dont think its up yet

if anyone can find it then please post a link, because the new kart style looks really cool and there are NOT 2 people to a kart, so it isnt going to be like double dash

DanZeke25
i would get a wii JUST for mario cart and mario party.

But I'm not going to.

pinkfloydkor
well then, get it for those 2, plus mario galaxy, SSBB, Metriod prime 3, Zelda TP, SPM, and many more to come big grin

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by DanZeke25
i would get a wii JUST for mario cart and mario party.

But I'm not going to.

What?

Superboy Prime
Will there be another Zelda for the Wii?

pinkfloydkor
there are rumours that another one is already in production, but nothing is confirmed

Superboy Prime
uWxcGObHuso

I don't know why but I find the announcer to be really annoying. Custom Wii Wheel...sounds so hilarious, but it's worth a look.

pinkfloydkor
ahh, it does have buttins on the bottom

looks like a Z button for items

and i think you can choose your cart again because mario is driving a different kart in the live video than he is in the still before the footage starts

Kero_Co
Mawiio Kart looks great, although I'm little conflicted about the wheel, I've never really cared for those things.

pinkfloydkor
well, he did say "because of a variety of control options" or something like that, maybe it will play like SSBB, more than one controller that is compatible

InnerRise
The Steering Wheel looks uncomfortably small.

Anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

Superboy Prime
Looks like yet another new gimmick to get gamers to spend money on it.

I am no Wii expert, but I was thinking the wiimote alone would be perfectly fine for it.

MadMel
it it works good for racers

AstroFan
Im excited that it looks to be following what the DS version did, which is arguably the best version yet.

Im also glad they teased about how many people would be able to play, if its anythng more than 8 I would be very surprised and very happy.

Kero_Co
Originally posted by Superboy Prime
Looks like yet another new gimmick to get gamers to spend money on it.

I am no Wii expert, but I was thinking the wiimote alone would be perfectly fine for it.

More like an old gimmick, since it has been done before, but it isn't to get gamers to spend money. If I recall correctly it does come with Mario Kart, a game wii owners would be crazy not to own anyway. My concern was more about the perepheral itself than the game, because I find it increasingly more difficult to imagine how they could ever mess up a Mario Kart game. So far, most of the games at E3 have all been seen before and two-thirds of those will come out by the end of this year, I'm glad Nintendo dished out something new to look forward to.

pinkfloydkor
yeah, finally I dont have to play a 4 way split screen to play mario kart multiplayer

i hope they do a really big expansion on the battle part of the game, considering that more people can play.

i wouldnt be surprised if battle will be just as big as the actual racing

@st
New details.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/849/849925p1.html

You can race online using your Miis, thats awesome. stick out tongue

Neo Darkhalen
Originally posted by pinkfloydkor
super exited about this game, the new karts look awesome

anyone know where you can find that video they showed at E3?

Yes.

Yoshi Paradise
This game looks fun.

I wish it was like Mario Kart: Double Dash, though.

Neo Darkhalen
This is going to be another golden game to the Wii's already impressive classic list.

ESB -1138
Originally posted by Superboy Prime
Will there be another Zelda for the Wii?

Their better be. The only "Wii" Zelda game we have is a Gamecube port.

Neo Darkhalen
I am sure that down the line another shall come about.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
I'm going to wet my pants when this comes out. Seriously.

BackFire
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
I'm going to wet my pants when this comes out. Seriously.

Look who it is.

A gay.

General Kaliero
How can you tell? ermm

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Originally posted by BackFire
Look who it is.

A gay.

Not 'a' gay, the gay; I'm fabulous.

Care for rainbow sprinkles of love all over your face?

MadMel
lulz
but seriously, have there been any more videos of this game??

pinkfloydkor
Originally posted by MadMel
lulz
but seriously, have there been any more videos of this game??

Here's one showing off the motorcycles

MadMel
cool big grin

SaTsuJiN
lol "This is not your father's Mario Kart" .......no expression

MadMel
i liked the flipping throught the air and landing perfectly bits stick out tongue

Kero_Co
http://wii.ign.com/articles/852/852952p1.html

My hype level for this game just grew three sizes.

@st
If this game is released in the "spring" ill be very very surprised, but I hope it does because it looks damn good.

MadMel
april release dates all around, ladies and gentlemen big grin
thats not the best part though
australia gets this game a few days before north america stick out tongue
also, some vids http://au.media.wii.ign.com/media/949/949580/vids_1.html

SaTsuJiN
http://www.gametrailers.com/game/5151.html new vids

Lt. Valerian
Originally posted by ESB -1138
Their better be. The only "Wii" Zelda game we have is a Gamecube port.

It was an amazing game, though. And of course there will be. What, you think Nintendo would release only one Zelda game for the new gen? That would be stupid, I'd say.

pinkfloydkor
Just reserved this when I picked up SSBB (amazing game btw)

the chick at gamestop said they might not be releasing it with the wheel and that the wheel might have to be sold separately and that if I reserved it now I would get the wheel free

but I think they were just saying that so I would go ahead and reserve it

Spartan005
Damn, I really want a Wii

any news on a price drop?

MadMel
why would you need one?
wiis are dirt cheap erm

Barker
why would you need one?
wiis are dirt cheap erm
Yeah, that's right, because everyone has $250+ lying around.

MadMel
its $300+ over here, and its still cheap erm

Morridini
So it's released tomorrow, anyone gonna buy it?
The guys at my local Game store had already gotten it in and tried it, can't wait by what they told me. Unfortunately I won't get to buy it before next weekend.

@st
Damn, it doesnt release here until the 27th(another damn Sunday). So ill get a little more than one day of good playtime before I let GTA ruin my life. roll eyes (sarcastic)

MadMel
24th = release date out here big grin

chillmeistergen
It's released here tomorrow.

Morridini
It's already released here, the store opened 2 mins ago, but I'll wait.

MadMel
ok big grin

kirti
I've been reading about Mario Kart Wii, checking for updates every couple of days over the past month or so. As far as I know nothing has been said about the characters having their 'special' items like in Double Dash. But I guess only time will tell. Not much longer to wait now though.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Get mine tomorrow. Sweet.

What's the word on the street about the steering wheel controller? I got a classic controller and a couple of nunchuck/remote things, but do I need to get a wheel? Is it worth it?

Ushgarak
Hmm, I appear to have it. Same way I got my Wii- my normal mail order supplier crapped out due to over orders, but my father casually spotted it whilst out shopping and nabbed it for me.

Ok, I should probably play it I guess.

As for the wheel- obviously not tried that one yet, bit it's just a lump of plastic, and in that case I got one when the Wii came out with the 'GT Pro Series' game. And... meh, it's not all that. There's no resistance in it so it really doesn't get the wheel-feel. Also I was worried I would scratch my controller getting it in or out; I'll see if this one is any different.

Ushgarak
Ok, been playing with the wheel.

It is better than the other one I had, as yu can still use the remote as an (awkward) pointer when in use and there is no scratch risk. It handles just fine also.

But... totally non-essential, for sure.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
I haven't played the series since N64 days...How's the power slides? Favorite character?

Morridini
I got a classic controller and a couple of nunchuck/remote things, but do I need to get a wheel? Is it worth it?

By looking at the box yesterday (and talking with people), you can choose between using the Wiimote, the nunchuck, the classic controller or the gamecube controller.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Word to your momma, but I'm asking if the wheel makes the game better.

Ushgarak
Sliding is still in but they've somewhat lowered its necessity to make the game more accessible (some hardcore gamers would say 'worse', though I am happy enough).

Likewise you no longe need to zigzag for power boosts (because that was rampantly abused online, as the DS version showed) so instead the longer you stay in a power slide, the more of a boost you can get at the end of it.

I think some may be worried the game has been dumbed down, but frankly I think it looks very good. And like the DS version, the selection of classic tracks is very welcome- brings those N64 memories back.

Morridini
Is the old versus map from the N64 with the four colored squares (looked like Lego blocks) in it Ush? I was pretty annoyed at the updated version of that map in DD, it used to be so much fun playing on.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
I've had it for a few hours now, and I'm in love all over again. It's just so damn fun! Those stupid blue shells are annoying though; they get me nearly every time on the last lap.

Ushgarak
The mechanic for those things is no different from the DS version but with 12 racers on track it means those up front are much more likely to get shafted by that type of thing.

I've not checked out vs.; not really my thing.

Smasandian
I dont know why I'm not very exicted about this game.

Maybe its because the DS version is complete and I rather play Mario Kart on the DS than the console.

SaTsuJiN
Yeah I hear that... though I really wanna try the Wii Wheel ><

I'm wondering if its as fast and responsive as snaking with a D-pad

Ushgarak
Snaking is out. Because it was shit. Snaking is what destroyed the DS online game.

Morridini
Snaking is?

Smasandian
It's when a player constantly uses the turbo boost to go around the track in the DS game. Because your going right to left, or vice versa it looks like a snake moving through grass.

So in the end, your going really fast.

I couldnt do it but I can understand how it could be shit. Does anybody know if Nintendo intentionally put it in the game?

Morridini
Ah that one, always do it on DD. It's so darned easy so don't see why I shouldn't use it.

Smasandian
I dont know.

I never played online with the DS game so I dont know how annoying it is, but I can see why its annoying.

Ushgarak
No, Nintendo did not intend for it to be abused to get boosts on straights, and it looks awful. So they removed it.

Smasandian
Cool.

I read an entry on Wiki which states that the developers did intend for snaking to be part of the game, but it doesnt give any evidence, or links to the info.

I would assume it wasnt intended but its strange that the developers would of missed it.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Snaking sounds stupid, so I'm pleased it's out. Anyway, there's loads of different ways to get speed boosts in this game if you play it right: speed starts, corner sliding, trick jumps, slipstreaming, etc. However, I'd just like to reiterate how annoying that blue shell is. Is there any way to avoid it?

Morridini
Only way to avoid the blue shell is to jump into water.

Or loose the first place to the second place temporarily.

Smasandian
A star also works but it rarely happens because you either get it stolen, or you use it to get back up to the front.

If you go into water, wouldnt that be longer than just letting the blue shell hit you?

Morridini
Originally posted by Smasandian
If you go into water, wouldnt that be longer than just letting the blue shell hit you?

Sure would

Smasandian
So whats the point of going in the water?

Morridini
To not get hit by the blue one.

Alpha Centauri
Mario Kart is every man for himself, so I'm not sure why people complain about snaking, if it was intended to be in the game. Not that I've ever done it.

Mario Kart is far from purely a skill and ability based driving game. It doesn't matter how good you are, you can still lose any race.

-AC

Morridini
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
It doesn't matter how good you are, you can still lose any race.

As in every other racing game.

Alpha Centauri
Yeah, any other racing game with shells and banana skins.

Clearly you didn't see my point. Mario Kart is a driving game in the sense that you drive a kart. It's hardly a game of skill. It's learn how to play the game and then play it and hope you get weapons.

The only thing you can argue is knowing when to use certain weapons or tracks to your advantage, which others can learn also.

I just fail to see how one underhanded tactic is worse when the game is about underhanded tactics.

-AC

MadMel
i agree...if its in the game legit (as in, no cheats or glitches), theres no shame in using it erm

Smasandian
Originally posted by Morridini
To not get hit by the blue one.

But if the time it takes to get pulled out of the water is longer than the amount of time it takes to recover from the blue shelll, whats the point of hitting the water?

As AC pointed out, the skill is how to use some weapons, and the lines of each course which can give a small advantage but in the end, no matter how skilled you are, that ****ing blue shell will always win.

Morridini
Originally posted by Smasandian
But if the time it takes to get pulled out of the water is longer than the amount of time it takes to recover from the blue shelll, whats the point of hitting the water?

No point at all.

He simply asked for a way to prevent to get hit by the blue shell, and this is a way. However ridiculous and stupid it is.

Ushgarak
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Yeah, any other racing game with shells and banana skins.

Clearly you didn't see my point. Mario Kart is a driving game in the sense that you drive a kart. It's hardly a game of skill. It's learn how to play the game and then play it and hope you get weapons.

The only thing you can argue is knowing when to use certain weapons or tracks to your advantage, which others can learn also.

I just fail to see how one underhanded tactic is worse when the game is about underhanded tactics.

-AC

a. Because snaking is not random, like all other such tactics- it is used continuously

b. It was not intended for players to get speed on straights, it was intended to get speed boosts on corners

c. It looks absolutely shit, having all the racers zigzag epileptically around the course.

Snaking was a pile of horse manure, not in the slightest bit comparable to any other tactic in the game (which is indeed highly random), it is not what Nintendo wanted, it ruined the DS online game and all that is why Nitendo removedmit.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Morridini, thanks for the excellent advice on how to avoid a blue shell. I've worked out some more of my own along your lines:

- Turn off the TV just before I get hit, wait a second or two, and then turn the TV back on pretending nothing ever happened.

- Smash my head against the wall when I feel a blue shell approaching, wake up a few hours later, and totally forget about the blue shell incident.

- As the warning signal sounds, pick up my Wii and throw it out the window.

- Decide I feel too dirty at the approach of a blue shell, take a shower, and return after shower has been taken to continue the game.

- Throw a chicken at the TV as the ubiquitous shell appears and concentrate on the feathers falling everywhere. When they're settled, carry on the game.

Anyway, I hope anyone looking for ways to avoid a blue shell can use some of these ways that Morridini and I have come up with. They're really good.

Morridini
- Throw a chicken at the TV as the ubiquitous shell appears and concentrate on the feathers falling everywhere. When they're settled, carry on the game.

Ahh, good ol' classic.

But on a more serious note, are anyone else always dssappointed at getting a blue shell when you are hanging back at 8th place? Why would I care about hitting the first place? My concerns is with the 7th, 6th and so on.

Also, how many players at a time is it on the Wii?

Smasandian
Yeah, I hate getting the blue shell near the end. It is kinda of pointless.

In my opinion, they should remove it. It's really cheap.

But my favourite move to use the blue shell against the computer is when you hear it, and you see that a guy is coming near by, I slow down so he can get hit by the blast too. What happens usually is that I win, or still stay ahead because I'm just a bit further and I usually have a really fast accelerating guy. Or, if its near the finish line, both of us lose but the third place guy gets first which helps in the standings if your playing 150cc.

Alpha Centauri
Why are people moaning about certain shells now?

It'll be Gran Turismo when you people are finished complaining.

-AC

Smasandian
Because the blue shell is annoying.

Red and Green shells are awesome, blue shell annoying.

BackFire
Blue shell is awesome when you're in last place.

MadMel
i can imagine erm

Smasandian

Well, to laugh at somebody yes, but its probably best for the guy in 2nd.

MadMel
all this talk is making me play MK 64 again stick out tongue

Morridini

No it's pure shit.

If I am in last place I absolutely hate to get that darned blue shell that don't help me at all. At least in the older versions it ran on the ground,a nd had the ability t hit everyone, but now it flies directly to the first place...

BackFire
No, it's awesome.

Because it pisses off the guy in first place.

Morridini
I still don't see why I would like that over a Star or ightning. I don't care if the first place gets a 10 sec delay.

Smasandian
I think his point is that firing a blue shell at the guy in first place makes him laugh because he knows he wont go anywhere, but atleast he can **** the guy in first place.

It's more of amusement than actually gameplay.

It works when playing splitscreen, or online because you know the guy is cursing like hell but against the computer, its ****ing annoying because they do tend to get blue shells all the time for me when Im in first, but not when I'm in second.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
I think I got hit by a blue shell three times when I was playing last night. It made me wanna punch the screen, West Side, Baltimore-style.

Victor Von Doom
The blue shell was better on Double Dash, as you could save it for a while.

Neo Darkhalen
The Blue shell still offers amusement to this day.

FlappingMangera
My favorite thing to do when I'm in first is, when I hear a blue shell, hit the breaks so my friend goes in first and gets hit instead. Then I speed by him with ease. Ahh, many a curse was thrown at me back in the day, haha.

SaTsuJiN
Originally posted by Morridini
No it's pure shit.

If I am in last place I absolutely hate to get that darned blue shell that don't help me at all. At least in the older versions it ran on the ground,a nd had the ability t hit everyone, but now it flies directly to the first place... I agree that its of no use whatsoever.. especially since you can dodge blue shells.. it makes them pure garbage

it 'should' smack everyone all the way up to first place.. but whatevs.. I'm not sure mario kart was ever about skill anywho... aside from snaking..

---

So, may I ask, whats different about this mario kart, aside from being able to drive a motorcycle?

MadMel
online play and random tricks from what i can tell erm

Victor Von Doom
The bikes make the game fairly different. It's not just a car in the shape of a bike, it has different qualities and abilities.

Has anyone else found that it's much harder to drive with certain items than it used to be?

Ya Krunk'd Floo
There are differences within the bikes and cars aswell. The scrambler-style bike handles very differently to the speed bike, especially on the corners.

Victor Von Doom
Yeah. Previously the differences were character and car-based. Now it's just in the selection of vehicles.

SaTsuJiN
ah.. thats cool.. so I dont have to worry about toad sucking <3

I didnt mind being forced to use yoshi before.. but he's just not one of my faves

MadMel
toad was ownage...i could always win with him erm

SaTsuJiN
have you fought a snaker using Yoshi + Egg?

Menetnashté
anyone else got this?

SaTsuJiN
I'm pretty disappointed that you no longer have control of drift turbos.. but its probably for the best...

I'm thinking that bikes are going to be preferred by pro's since you have control over the straight-a-way turbos

Menetnashté
Originally posted by SaTsuJiN
I'm pretty disappointed that you no longer have control of drift turbos.. but its probably for the best...

I'm thinking that bikes are going to be preferred by pro's since you have control over the straight-a-way turbos
bikes are much better imo. The crotch rockets are the fastest things in the game.

MadMel
they have the word "crotch" in a mario game?? laughing

Menetnashté
they have the word "crotch" in a mario game?? laughing
laughing out loud no not quite, I refer to the certain kind of bike as a crotch rocket. They call them mach bike and Bowser bike.

MadMel
that does it, im totally getting this gmae!

Ya Krunk'd Floo
What are some of your fastest times in time trial?

I'm talking about the first Mushroom cup race and the first race in the last retro cup...the one with all the colored blocks and mad corners the whole way...

PS. That Donkey Kong Cannon Volcano race pisses me off.

SaTsuJiN
I hear wii remote + nunchuck is the best method of play

<><>
to me the classic controller is best.

Ya Krunk'd Floo

Yeah, that's the way I play. You get to always have control of the kart with the nunchuck, and you've got your hand free to give the Wii remote a wank when you do a jump. Works pretty well, so I can't imagine playing any other way.

ESB -1138
Dang, this game is kind of cheap. I'm getting hit by Blue Koopa Shells more then Red Koopa Shells...I got hit by four in a row on the last lap a few feet from the finish line...and because of that I went down to 9th. Some of the levels (older ones mainly) just seem crowded when you have 12 racers on it.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Still, you gotta love the lines you can draw on that first race on the lightning circuit. Sweet, sweet lines.

What are people's favorite characters and modes of transport?

Currently, I'm into that big monkey with the bandana and sunglasses. Vehicle-wise, I'm liking that red sports car he drives. Dunno the name, got the Japanese version, don't I?

SaTsuJiN
I usually rock toad with bit bike for now.. I didnt unlock much.. so thats really all I can use at this point XD

ESB -1138
Still, you gotta love the lines you can draw on that first race on the lightning circuit. Sweet, sweet lines.

What are people's favorite characters and modes of transport?

Currently, I'm into that big monkey with the bandana and sunglasses. Vehicle-wise, I'm liking that red sports car he drives. Dunno the name, got the Japanese version, don't I?

I swith between Yoshi and Rosalina (who is a heightweight in this game...wierd). Yoshi because that was my main back in Mario Kart, 64, Double-Dash, and DS and I use Rosalina because I was starting to get tired of being slapped around like a little b!tch by Bowser and DK and Wario.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.