The Verdict: Ford - Too Old Or Not?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ahnold
Hey guys, Ahnold here.

I just saw on the IMDB home page that Harrison Ford turns 65 today (btw, happy birthday Mr. Ford smile ). Seeing that got me thinking again about whether Ford is now simply too old to credibly and enjoyably reprise the role of Indiana Jones for the upcoming "Indy IV". Personally, considering both his obvious enthusiasm for the project in interviews, and the fact that he doesn't look half-bad for a man his age, I don't feel that he is too old. However, I figured that the best thing would probably be to create this thread (and its associated poll) in order to garner the opinions of the people that really matter - the posters to the "Indiana Jones" Forum at the KMC stick out tongue !

So - what do you guys think?

Ahnold
Hope the poll works - it's the first one I've created at the KMC in years!

exanda kane
I don't know about you - but I've always thought Harrison Ford in real life to be the mix of Han Solo and Indy. I can honestly imagine the bloke lop-sidedly smirking his way through an ancient Mayan booby strap and nabbing a bunch of gold; home in time for tea and to go out with a snazzy bird.

I have no doubts.

Jaeh_JediPirate
^ what he said.

After all these years, in every movie I've seen of him, he still has that lop-sided smile.

roughrider
If it was going to happen, it would only happen with Ford on board plus Lucas & Spielberg - it's like a pact between the three.
The setting for the film is the 1950's, so they are taking Ford's age into account. Indy's birthdate is set as 1899; that can't be changed. Ford looks a bit younger than his 65 years, so to me it's not an issue.
With the film be any good? Now that's a seperate discussion.

Ahnold
It's funny; even though everyone who's replied to this thread has effectively said "no" to the question of whether Ford is now too old, only one "no" vote has been registered in the poll - and that was mine!

Admiral Akbar
I would like to think that Harrison Ford is up to the task. I believe he is. But then again I have been dissapointed before, so I won't keep any hopes up.

exanda kane
Originally posted by Ahnold
It's funny; even though everyone who's replied to this thread has effectively said "no" to the question of whether Ford is now too old, only one "no" vote has been registered in the poll - and that was mine!

Poll's must be bugged or something then, I voted no just before I posted my first response.

Ahnold
Huh - that's weird ...

JediRobin23
As long as its not Rocky Balboa. Jee, I've been beaten up so bad that I should of retired in Rocky 2 before I fought Apollo. No, but wait, I can magically see better in my right eye now, so Clubber is going down. Now, that russian beat me up and my head hurts real bad so I'm not gonna take on tommy gun on the street. Well, after my head feels better as I gets older, wow, I can still fight, and still run my restaurant.....

exanda kane
Apparently Lucas is interested in Ford and the teen brat signing on for another movie after this; obviously Lucas and Harrison Ford himself don't think they're over it.

sithsaber408
Ford is just fine to play Indy again.

They are setting it when he's just as old as Ford is now, so really this is a non-issue.

I think the question is more if people want to watch a film about an older Jones, not if Ford can play an older Jones well because he's....errr...old.

WrathfulDwarf
Roger Moore pull a bunch of James Bond films way past his prime. I don't mind a much older Indy.

Ahnold
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
Roger Moore pulled a bunch of James Bond films way past his prime.

Whilst this is true, I personally felt that RM lost some of his credibility as 007 towards the end of his run; I mean, he was 56 when he made "A View To A Kill" for God's sake! Watching him get off with Stacey Sutton (27 years his junior!) in that movie was just embarassing, quite frankly ...

This is why I created this thread in the first place, tbh; whilst I realise that Ford will be playing an old Indy whose age is close to his own, I was curious to know whether people on here felt that he could reprise his role credibly and enjoyably. This was *not* true of Roger Moore in "AVTOK" ...

sithsaber408
meh...

Ford will PwN teh Suck.

That is all.

LFL for life!starwars

exanda kane
I expect a lot of "I'm too old for this" gags.

Ahnold
Originally posted by sithsaber408
Ford will PwN teh Suck.

Erm ... what confused ?

Originally posted by exanda kane

Perhaps this time round he'll tell Marion: "It's not just the mileage anymore, honey ... it's the years too!" stick out tongue

Jaeh_JediPirate
Originally posted by exanda kane

ditto.

amity75
Ford IS Indy and will be fine regardless of how old he is. However, I hope the movie doesn't linger on his age for too long. I don't want it to be 2.5 hours of "Ouch my back/knee/piles/arthritis" etc. The images of Ford released so far show that he looks fantastic. I'm 25 and have no doubts he could kick MY ass.

ragesRemorse
The Indiana Jones character makes it easy to believe that he could still tomb raid for ancient artifacts at 50 all the while battling nazi's. Indiana's entire life consists of fighting in wars, triumphing impossible feats and never ceasing to increase his knowledge on everything. It would be just as believable to swallow a 50 year old James bond, because his character warrants the suspension of disbelief. As long as the actor portraying the character does a fine job, it works seamlessly. and Harrison Ford IS Indiana Jones. So, no...i have no doubt he can pull it off. Especially with the aid of Speilberg and Lucas the original architects of the character.

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by amity75
Ford IS Indy and will be fine regardless of how old he is. However, I hope the movie doesn't linger on his age for too long. I don't want it to be 2.5 hours of "Ouch my back/knee/piles/arthritis" etc. The images of Ford released so far show that he looks fantastic. I'm 25 and have no doubts he could kick MY ass.

This is my fear too. focusing on his age to much could pull the aduience out of the movie.

~LunaLoveG~
Have you seen what they have done with CGI and Makeup tecniques now a days. No doubt that they could pull it off. BUT I reserve my judgment for the day Indy 4 comes out

DARKLORDCAEDUS
Of course Ford is too old. Thing is Indy four may follow the same path as Rocky Balboa and Live Free and Die Hard and make it on the cheap side so it can be a hit film.

amity75
Originally posted by DARKLORDCAEDUS
Of course Ford is too old. Thing is Indy four may follow the same path as Rocky Balboa and Live Free and Die Hard and make it on the cheap side so it can be a hit film. Comparing the Indy movies to Rocky or Die Hard is like comparing Abraham Lincoln to George W Bush.

JediRobin23
I think the issue is that there will be less action in this movie due to his age. If his character is like 51, then hes gonna play Indy as a 51 year old. Is there gonna be the same action scenes like there is in Raiders? I doubt it, cause in some scenes you will have ford moving slow while fighting, then the'll put a fast moving stunt man in there. that would look bad. Even if they use ILM and put his face on a stunt man, it would still seem wrong. I just hope the story will fly...

NinthSith
It's just a movie and he is obviously the only actor who can play Indy so I will accept it. But yah he is about 10 year's to old for this. Picture your 66 year old grandfather or father doing this and you will see how ridiculous it really is. People in there 60's I don't care how they look or how many weight's they lift simply have no stamina and that is fact.

Whisper
Ford looks better as an older Indy. I've noticed he's wearing a bowtie in the classroom scenes. Makes him look more like a proper Professor and less of a students heart throb. Go Indy!

LightSaber_Part
I'll need to see the movie first..
But I'm hoping he'll be able to get the job done.

queeq
He wore the bowtie before.

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by amity75
Comparing the Indy movies to Rocky or Die Hard is like comparing Abraham Lincoln to George W Bush.

confused

Devil King
Originally posted by sithsaber408
Ford is just fine to play Indy again.

They are setting it when he's just as old as Ford is now, so really this is a non-issue.

I think the question is more if people want to watch a film about an older Jones, not if Ford can play an older Jones well because he's....errr...old.

That's what I was going to say. It isn't a matter of how old he is. It's a matter of how old he's written. I haven't been reading the spoilers for the movie, as I'd like to keep it a suprise, so I don't really know the story. But I do hope it isn't handled like a lot of other movies in Ford's career, where he's clearly in his 60's and has a 25 year old wife and a 6 year old son. I'm sure Harrison Ford is in great shape for a guy in his mid-60's, but hes' not in the same shape he was 20 years ago when the last one came out.

I just hope this whole movie isn't treated as a vehicle for the career of that kid from Transformers.

pottyboy
Ford has certainly had enough time off to prepare for the role. I'm thinking Calista Flockhart is to blame for his extremely low number of films in the past years.

I like many others am absolutely psyched to see this one, but if it sucks, its going to be a huge upset!

Mr Parker
Im glad I waited to put in my vote till a couple days ago when I saw what the movie was about and when the timeframe of the movie is set in,I would have said yes,he is too freaking old to be playing the part and he is a disgrace for coming back and playing the part after being gone so long but NOW after reading on what the new movie is about and knowing that the film is set 20 years later in the late 50's instaed of the late 30's and early 40's like the other movies were,NOW knowing that he is suppose to have aged 20 years from the last film,I got to say NO he isnt too old for the role and this eases my fear about the fact that I thought he was too old to come back and play the part.

MrCampion
Never to old! Why do so many think an actor can't give a good performance just because he is what some call middle-aged? It;s been happening in a lot of movies so the age reason just doesn't work as a legitimate criticism.

Mr Parker
well its not that we dont think they can give a good performance its just that if they were going to have the time of the movie be set in early 1940's again which is what I thought they were going to be,it would have been innapropriate for them to have made another Indy movie because he would have aged 20 years and he would have lost his credibility playing a 40 old something man when its obvious he is not in his 40's anymore.But like i said,the movie takes place 20 years later in the late 50's so nobody should have a problem with him playing the role now.

JackieCD
Hell no. He's going to do a great job, as usual.

MrCampion
there will always be somebody who has a problem with something in these movies.

queeq
Indeed.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
confused

yeah wtf? roll eyes (sarcastic)

Mr Parker
Originally posted by JediSamuraiMRB
Of course Ford is too old. Thing is Indy four may follow the same path as Rocky Balboa and Live Free and Die Hard and make it on the cheap side so it can be a hit film.

Yeah I have to agree with that,not with Ford being too old to play the part since like I said before he is suppose to have aged 20 years from the last film but that he seems to be doing the same thing Stallone is doing with the Rocky movies and Rambo making more when he should have ended it after 3.

queeq
It's a bit different though. There are three great filmmakers working on this in unison: Lucas, Spielberg and Ford. It's not a one-man-show like Stallone. Besides, the trio is doing because they want to, not for money, but for fun. Stallone's fading star is what got RB and Rambo going... And only the originals of those series were worthwhile... so whaddaya expect?

Mr Parker
okay well if thats true then thats a refreshing change to hear,not continuing it just for the love of the money but for the love and fun of it which is why directors and actors SHOULD be doing films in the first place.something stallone and willis got away from.like i said,the first 3 rocky films were really good but that jerk stallone should have ended it after the thrid but he got greedy after that and sacrificed quality screenwriting in exchange for money.Unlike Ford,he cant get any other parts in hollywood so he is obviously got desperate for money so he went back to the movies that made him big money to begin with.I guarantee you,he'll make another rocky film 20 years from now again. laughing

queeq
laughing out loud Hope not.

I dunno, I think Ford's pretty loaded as it is. He doesn't have to do it for the money.

And I think only Rocky 1 is worthwhile. Rocky 2 is a copy of 1, but even a bit slower. Rocky 3... well... the Eye of the Tiger was a good song.

Mr Parker
No question that the original Rocky is easily the best one by far but 2 and 3 were 10 times better than 4 5 and 6 easily and yeah thats true.Ford definetely doesnt need the money so yeah sounds like he is doing it for the love of the material because he obviously doesnt need the paycheck.

queeq
Nope.

regina414
It's like wine. The older it ages, the better.

Admiral Akbar
After watching the trailer, I'm still unsure about whether he is too old or not, but I'm definitely sure that he can't be the young Indy that he was in the other three movies.

queeq
He can still swing and fall into trucks.

Admiral Akbar
Yes, he can still do that big grin

queeq
Which is fine with me.

OB1-adobe
Its not the age that matters......its the character.

Especiailly when we are talking about something originated in Film and not somewhere else.

Is Harrison Ford too old to play Indiana jones?.....no because Harrison Ford IS Indiana jones

Is Adam West too old to play Batman.........yes because Batman is a mid 20's-mid 30's man fighting crime.

They have obviously incorporated Indy's age into the script and is part of the story in some way.

"this isn't going to be easy.............not as easy as it used to be"

Stun
Originally posted by OB1-adobe
Its not the age that matters......its the character.

absolutley, he's not your typical action hero, in the sense that (in my opinion) he's old before his time - and that was his style (even though it was set in the 30's) but i cant see that changing in the next film. As long as he can still perform great stunts and provide great dialogue (for instance - when making a history lesson sound much more profound and interesting, and relevant to the plot) you've got one side: the teacher, and the other: adventurer, and i gotta say i prefer the teacher side of his character - it never grows old

queeq
Plus, Indiana was also part anti-hero. Age helps with that element.

Stun
well the only issue i can think of is his fitness. Is he physically up to the task? well, he's a damn sight fitter than me, but i still think my grandad could kick his a**, but thats not the pointstick out tongue

i think the trailer is proof that he's still capable, physical wise

queeq
Your granddad sounds scary.

Stun
laughing out loud i know the feeling

Kazenji
Originally posted by OB1-adobe

Is Harrison Ford too old to play Indiana jones?.....no because Harrison Ford IS Indiana jones

And also he's an archaeologist plus anyone can be a archaeologist regardless of age.

queeq
Indy's more of an 'obtainer of rare antiquities'... that's not something regardless of age.

Patient_Leech
Hm.. I wouldn't exactly call them man-boobs, but he's clearly no Spring Chicken...

http://edge.ebaumsworld.com/picture/Nabasheen/HarrisonFord.png

queeq
He looks good though. I wish I'd look like that when I reach 64...

Patient_Leech
Yeah, I agree. THESE are man boobs...

http://www.getridofitall.com/sitebuilder/images/man-boobs-270x240.jpg

Sadako of Girth
sick Unholy moobage..behold the abomination...!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.