Original horror movies vs. Their remakes

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

steverules
Are the original horror movies usually better than their remakes or do remakes usually out shine the originals, the only good remake of a film I've seen is The hills hae eyes which came out in 2006 but I dunno any other good remakes

gingercaily
sometimes original are better than remakes but sometimes remakes is better that old one..i think it depends on the maker of the film...

Evil Dead
Night of the Living Dead
13 Ghosts
House on Haunted Hill
The Thing

all were good remakes...........

ragesRemorse
Evil dead has mentioned the best of the best probably, I would say dawn of the dead also.

A few more that i feel are better than their original counter parts are

The Fly
Invasion of the body snatchers
Pulse
Willard
Amityville horror

D-Wag
I loved Pulse, does anyone think they mgiht socme out with a 2nd one? smile

Dawn of the Dead
Amityville Horror
Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Evil Dead
how could I forget the Fly and Body Snatchers...........I really don't know how I forgot Willard was a remake, I love that movie. Crispin should have won an award.

I hated Pulse.....I found it slow and anticlimactic, pretty much just plain boring. While I love Ryan Reynolds, I found the Amityville Horror remake not only disrespectful to the greatness of the original but just a bad movie all around from top to bottom.

Wolfie
Willard was an excellent movie, though I've never seen the original.

As far as outshining the original, I'd say THHE did. Though I have warmed up to the original.

I never saw the original Thing or Thirteen Ghosts, but the remakes were good.

I liked the TCM, NOTLD ('90s, not the crappy 3D remake), and Dawn of the Dead remakes, though the originals blow them outta the water.

vintageSW77
the recent remakes are forgotten a month or so after release whereas the originals will never fade -
The Hitcher
The Fog
TCM
Hills 2 ( not exactly a classic original but superior to the turd that was released in name recently)
Wicker Man

etc etc etc

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by Evil Dead
Crispin should have won an award.

I hated Pulse.....I found it slow and anticlimactic, pretty much just plain boring. While I love Ryan Reynolds, I found the Amityville Horror remake not only disrespectful to the greatness of the original but just a bad movie all around from top to bottom.

I didnt consider glover much of any kind of actor until i saw Willard, i do agree.

Pulse defintely was nothing spectacular, but it was much better than the original convoluted movie i thought. I also liked that the main character was never safe in the movie.
Maybe its because i never liked the oringal amityvliie horror, but i thought the revamping was translated into a solid scare flick. It could also be that i am just partial to reynolds performance in that movie, i thought he portrayed a far more imposing and intense example of posession than the original actor, but yeah nothing special. Aside from Amityville 2, i never found anything worth wile from that series

MildPossession
Definitely agree with The Hills Have Eyes, superior to the original for me.

Can't really think of anymore that I liked more than the original film that hasn't been mentioned.

Nordicdusk
Most remakes suck one that springs to mind right now had to be the Wicker Man oohhhhhh the pain of it. But im hopeful for the new Halloween movie because Rob Zombie is filming it.

Impediment
I liked these re-makes:

Night of the Living Dead
The Hills have Eyes
Dawn of the Dead
The Thing
The Fly

............to name a few.

Jason_Krueger
What remakes stand out the most for me are ones that far surpass thier originals counterparts:

John Carpenter's The Thing
The Fly
The Hills Have Eyes

The Thing pretty much erased the original from the history books because it stuck true to the original short story that came before the old black & white movie

if you wanna know why The Fly is better than its original just repeat to yourself David Cronenberg.

and from the same director from one of the best horror movies in a long time High Tension, Alexandre Aja, what better film to call his own than hills have eyes....dont get me wrong but wes craven is an ok director but after what ppl saw he could do in The Last House on the left im pretty sure if he outdid it in hills have eyes he woulda been lynched....

other remakes I can think of

The Blob-(BETTER)
Invasion of the Body Snatchers-(BETTER)
the omen-(WORSE)
the fog-(WORSE)
texas chainsaw massacre-(WORSE)
halloween-(HOPEFULLY BETTER)
dracula directed by francis ford coppola-(BETTER)
The shining-(WORSE)
dawn of the dead-(TIE)
amityville horror-(WORSE)
house on haunted hill-(BETTER BUT NOT BY MUCH)
House of Wax-(WORSE)
Wicker man-(TIE)
Psycho-(WORSE...NOBODY CAN OUT-DO HITCHCOCK)
black christmas-(WORSE...BOB CLARK'S CLASSIC)
the hitcher-(TIE)
Night of the living dead-(BETTER)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.