Video Card

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Spidervlad
Hey guys, which Video Card do you think is the best?

I'm about to renew my PC's video card, it's a Geforce 6600, and I'm thinking of getting a new video card since more and more new PC games are coming out with higher req. It runs all the games nicely on medium still, but I'm thinking that soon it would start failing on new games.

I'm thinking of getting a video card that I would keep for long, so I'm just buying the best one no matter how expensive it is anyway.

My eye is on the Geforce 8000, but does anyone else have any recommendations? I'm a 100% PC Gamer.

Another important question: How do I check what kind of Video Card connecter I have on my motherboard? I heard that there are 2 kinds of connectors in the motherboard to the video card, PCI and something else. How do I check which one I have?

S_W_LeGenD
Originally posted by Spidervlad
The best graphics card in the market is GeForce 8800 ULTRA but it is very expensive.

The second best option is GeForce 8800 GTX 768 MB and it is affordable.

My eye is on the Geforce 8000, but does anyone else have any recommendations? I'm a 100% PC Gamer.
GeForce 8800 Series seems to be the best.

Another important question: How do I check what kind of Video Card connecter I have on my motherboard? I heard that there are 2 kinds of connectors in the motherboard to the video card, PCI and something else. How do I check which one I have?
There are two ways to rectify this issue:

Option 1: Tell me the model of your Motherboard and I will notify you that what relevant expansion slots are present in your Motherboard.

Option 2: Open the left Side-Panel of your System and take a look at the Motherboard. You should check that what expansion SLOTS are present on your Motherboard.

There are 3 types of expansion SLOTS that you should be concerned with:

1) PCI SLOT Click to see!
2) AGP SLOT Click to see!
3) PCI-Express SLOT Click to see!

NOTE: GeForce 8800 Series supports PCI-Express only.

Spidervlad
Thanks for the feedback! I found a way to check it without opening the panel, but the problem is that I am on my vacation in Russia, where I suddenly had the brilliant idea of buying a video card here and taking it with me back to America, since video cards in Russia are 40% cheaper. But I've been hit with this issue since my computer is back in America, and I have no idea which slots it has. I know the motherboard was an Asus and the first letter is P... I'm going to go on the Asus website and maybe my memory will come back to me when I see the name. However I have a feeling that I have PCI Slots.

The Geforce Series gets better as the number increases, right?

What is the best Geforce Video Card out for PCI slots?

In order to switch your PCI slots to PCI- Express, you need to get a new motherboard?

Sorry for bombarding you with all these questions.

EDIT: I have found my motherboard

It is either

P5WD2 Premium
or
P5WD2-E Premium

S_W_LeGenD
Thanks for the feedback!
You're welcome! wink

The Geforce Series gets better as the number increases, right?
With respect to technology? Yes.

With respect to performance? Not necessarily.

For example: GeForce 8 series is more advanced then GeForce 7 series due to supporting more up-to-date rendering technology and techniques.

But if you are talking about performance factor of individual GeForce Cards, then higher numbers do not necessary mean better performance.

For example: GeForce 7900 GS is faster then GeForce 8600 GTS.

Every GeForce Series is classified in to 3 major segments:

1) Enthusiast Segment (Best performance and costly)
2) Mid Range Segment (Adequate performance and affordable)
3) Value End Segment (Low performance but cheap)

However you should note that the Enthusiast Segment of a previous generation or series of GeForce Cards may be faster then the Mid Range Segment of the current generation or series of GeForce Cards.

What is the best Geforce Video Card out for PCI slots?
Graphics Cards with PCI Standard interface are now rarely available. However the Graphics Cards with PCI-Express interface are widely available and are future-proof.

In order to switch your PCI slots to PCI- Express, you need to get a new motherboard?
PCI Standard slots are present in all the Motherboards. However the optional factor comes in to play when we talk about AGP slot or PCI-E slot.

A motherboard either would have a PCI-E slot or an AGP slot but not both.

So you will need a Motherboard that supports a PCI-E slot. And majority of the latest Motherboards available do support a PCI-E slot.

Sorry for bombarding you with all these questions.
No problem mate! wink

Feel free to ask questions and I will try to answer all of them.

EDIT: I have found my motherboard

It is either

P5WD2 Premium
or
P5WD2-E Premium
Your Motherboard is based on the Intel 955 Chipset and it does have a single PCI-Express x16 Slot.

Your Motherboard is this one: Click! Right?

If yes! Then the top most black expansion slot is the PCI Express x16 slot.

Spidervlad
So in that spot my Geforce 6600 should be in? So it should be available for me to switch video cards? It can't be that another piece of hardware is connected in there.

Yeah, that looks like my motherboard. I checked out the Geforce 6600 and found out that it is only available as PCI-E, so therefore I should have a PCI-E slot on my motherboard.

Alright, I don't really think I would spend so much money on the Geforce 8800 Ultra, so the first thing I'm going to ask for in my closest gaming store is for a Geforce 8800 GTX 768 MB.

Is the Geforce 8 series compatible with Windows XP? I don't want to switch to Vista yet because of how buggy it is for now.

Also, can you give me 3 other Video Cards that are best right after Geforce 8800 GTX 768MB so I can get them if the stores don't have the Geforce 8800 GTX 768MB.

Will my Proccesor be compatible with the Geforce 8800 GTX 768 MB, and is it powerful enough for it?

And again, thanks for the feedback and support big grin

S_W_LeGenD
So in that spot my Geforce 6600 should be in? So it should be available for me to switch video cards? It can't be that another piece of hardware is connected in there.
Sell your GeForce 6600 Card and earn some cash.

Yeah, that looks like my motherboard. I checked out the Geforce 6600 and found out that it is only available as PCI-E, so therefore I should have a PCI-E slot on my motherboard.
The main problem is solved then.

Is the Geforce 8 series compatible with Windows XP? I don't want to switch to Vista yet because of how buggy it is for now.
GeForce 8 series is 100% compatible with Windows XP.

Actually compatibility with the Operating Systems is determined by the software drivers of the VGA Cards. Nvidia releases software drivers for all of its products that support various kinds of Operating Systems.

You can always check for the latest software drivers for GeForce Cards and download them from this link: Click!

Also, can you give me 3 other Video Cards that are best right after Geforce 8800 GTX 768MB so I can get them if the stores don't have the Geforce 8800 GTX 768MB.
The 3 other best Video Cards after GeForce 8800 GTX 768 MB are:

1) GeForce 8800 GTS 640 MB
2) GeForce 8800 GTS 320 MB
3) GeForce 7950 GX2 1 GB

Will my Proccesor be compatible with the Geforce 8800 GTX 768 MB, and is it powerful enough for it?
What processor you have got?

And again, thanks for the feedback and support big grin
You're welcome! wink

Spidervlad
I dont fully remember what proccesor I have but I know that it should be preety good. I think its an Inter Proccessor 2 or something, but with a 2 at the end.

Spidervlad
Intel(R)
Pentium(R) D CPU 3.20 Ghz
3.21GHz, 2.00gb of RAM
Thats my proccesor. Will the video cards work, mate?

S_W_LeGenD
Intel(R)
Pentium(R) D CPU 3.20 Ghz
3.21GHz, 2.00gb of RAM
Thats my proccesor. Will the video cards work, mate?
You do not need to worry.

Intel Pentium D series processors are good processors.

Spidervlad
I hope they are, since I want my computer to run at full capacity I hope I wont need to purchase a new CPU because that would suck.

Thanks a bunch! I'm going to order my Video Card now.

Also, is it hard installing a Video Card? I almost never did anything that has to do with hardware, so I'm a bit cautious of messing with the insides of my computer.

Spidervlad
My Geforce 8800 GTS just arrived and I was unable to install it on my computer...

I replaced it with my graphics card, and when I turn on the computer it makes a horrible non stop, loud 'BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP' sound and the monitor doesn't respond or anything.

And when I mean horrible and loud, I really mean it. My neighbors already complained when I left the computer on for 5 mins to see if maybe something will happen.

S_W_LeGenD
My Geforce 8800 GTS just arrived and I was unable to install it on my computer...

I replaced it with my graphics card, and when I turn on the computer it makes a horrible non stop, loud 'BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP' sound and the monitor doesn't respond or anything.

And when I mean horrible and loud, I really mean it. My neighbors already complained when I left the computer on for 5 mins to see if maybe something will happen.
You left your system on for 5 minutes with that kind of status?

An advice: Do not do it again or your video card might get damaged.

GF 8800 GTS requires additional power before it can run properly. This additional power can be only supplied by the PSU.

NOTE: A 6-Pin PCI-e VGA power connector will be present on the front of your video card. This connector looks like this: Click to see!

Now make sure that your PSU has that 6-pin PCI-e VGA power connector cable and plug-in that connector cable in to your video card before running it. That cable looks like this: Click to see!

Dreamt

I'm about to renew my PC's video card, it's a Geforce 6600, and I'm thinking of getting a new video card since more and more new PC games are coming out with higher req. It runs all the games nicely on medium still, but I'm thinking that soon it would start failing on new games.

I'm thinking of getting a video card that I would keep for long, so I'm just buying the best one no matter how expensive it is anyway.

Another important question: How do I check what kind of Video Card connecter I have on my motherboard? I heard that there are 2 kinds of connectors in the motherboard to the video card, PCI and something else. How do I check which one I have? What do you play most frequently? Because the newest GeForce card has issues with some of the older games from 2000+.

Spidervlad
Well I surely don't play games THAT old.

The only game that hasn't run on this computer which is old and that I wanted to play was JK2 Jedi Outcast. But my second 'bad' computer runs it perfectly.

I play new games mostly. Oblivion, Battlefield 2142, RF online, Supreme Commander, Empire at War. That kind of stuff smile

Well I decided not to screw up anymore and so I brough my computer to the 'chinese computer store' near me. They set up the video card for 35 bucks, and then I sold my geforce 6600 for 30. So I just had to pay 5 bucks :P

Darn. Now that I put Oblivion on it's maximum settings, i'm thinking of replaying the game all over :O

Games run so smoothly now it's crazy.

Now all I need to do is save up money for a new proccesor :P

But I think this one can hold on for another year.

Smasandian
My new computer I'm planning to get will probalby have the 8800 GTS 640MB because it has more bang for the buck than the GTX.

I'm actually planning on getting it at Alienware, but they only offer the GTX, or Ultra for the system that I was trying to get, so well, it aint a problem.

forumcrew
Originally posted by Smasandian
My new computer I'm planning to get will probalby have the 8800 GTS 640MB because it has more bang for the buck than the GTX.

I'm actually planning on getting it at Alienware, but they only offer the GTX, or Ultra for the system that I was trying to get, so well, it aint a problem.

Allienware makes nice systems but they are very over priced.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.