Hayden kills these films

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Kevy2007
"It's only because I'm so in love with you"

"You turned her against me!"

The deliverly of those lines sucked, the woodeness of his acting makes me wonder how he got the job from Luca$. One of the most worst casting decisions of all time.

Captain REX
Have you seen him in anything else, Kevy?

Kevy2007
Yeah Goosebumps, he sucked in that too

xatl
I thought Hayden did a pretty good job but i can see what you mean in AOTC but i thought in ROTS he was great

~JP~
Oh lookie JediKev is back. slam

Schecter
how do you properly deliver lines that suck?

stop blaming hayden

MasterAshenVor
Did yall see how OLD padme' looked when she turned around with that cheesy

ITS ONLY BECAUSE IM SO IN LOVE WITH You. Line she looked 60

TheCollegeBalla
i think hayden did a good job in ROTS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEzpDYCfgik

sithsaber408
Hayden was fine, it's the character of Anakin as George Lucas wrote him that people didn't like.

Check the dvd special features.

You can see GL going as far as telling him how to move his head and everything.

Hayden just brought the performance of Anakin that George wanted.

Grodd
I think he did O.K.

exanda kane
He ain't the best actor in the world, but then Lucas is god-awful at directing his actors. And writing scripts.

~LunaLoveG~
Originally posted by Kevy2007

The deliverly of those lines sucked, the woodeness of his acting makes me wonder how he got the job from Luca$. One of the most worst casting decisions of all time.

yeah. He can't really act for his life erm of course I only saw his SW films

SpaceMonkey
I think it was a combination of a guy with limited acting ability and a guy with limited directing ability getting together to make some crappy acting.

JediRobin23
Better than Natalie, thats forsure

SpaceMonkey
I think Liam Neeson, Christopher Lee and Ian McDiarmid were the only ones actually doing some serious acting here.

Schecter
probably because they were the ones to not be intimidated and swayed by the bearded fat one. 3 old timers who've been in the business long enough to know that being a great actor is more than "yes boss"

darthmaul1
I think he did a great job, what people are forgetting is that the OT wasn't all that sh1t hot with the acting either, it's just had such a long time to grow on us, Let's face Luke whining, but i was going into toshie station to pick up some power converters, or Leia "we have powerful friends you are going to regret this. not that great, give the PT 20 30 years and it will grow on you.

coolmovies
Luke whining ?? No alot of OT wanted to be Luke skywalker in those days . who wants to be anakin ?? No one coz he sucks

Tangible God
Hayden was great in Shattered Glass, I don't blame him.

Specifically.

queeq
Originally posted by SpaceMonkey
I think Liam Neeson, Christopher Lee and Ian McDiarmid were the only ones actually doing some serious acting here.

And McGregor did his best acting of all three PT movies in ROTS.

Stun
well for the Prequels, Ian McDiarmid followed by Ewan, Christopher Lee, then Liam - neither of them could hold a candle to Alec Guiness, Harrison Ford and Peter Cushing thoughwink

queeq
I dunno... they kinda equal. I just think Luke is a lot more sympathetic than Anakin... that's a major flaw in the PT.

exanda kane
Aye

queeq
Yea

Schecter
indeed

queeq
eya

Sith Master X
Yeah, McGregor was spot on in ROTS. Although I think he was also the highlight of AOTC as well.

queeq
Apart from some strange moments... like the Gundark-nest giggle...

Stun
Originally posted by queeq
I dunno... they kinda equal. I just think Luke is a lot more sympathetic than Anakin... that's a major flaw in the PT.

the more i watch the OT, the more i like Mark Hamill. Not a great great actor, but he was made for that rolewink

Tangible God
Hamill was good as a secondary character in the Big Red One. Lee Marvin totally overshadowed him though. Aside from that I can't remember him anything else.

BlaxicanHydra
Neg, whoever said that the OT's acting sucked is right. Both had crappy, wooden, cliche diolouge, but

A) Most of the adults here saw that movie when they were kids, so they didn't care.

and B) It HAS grown on us. It's turned into such a classic that everyone forgets how crappy the acting and such actually was, which was prevalent in the 80's.

imo the only good actors in the OT were Frank Oz and James Earl Jones.

Tangible God
Harrison Ford had some witty, quirky lines. Cheesy, but at least his tone made it seem like he was aware of it, thus, mocking it in a way.

And McDiarmid was good in his role as well. Even Guiness was alright. Stereotypical look of an Old Wise Man, but decent nonetheless.

~LunaLoveG~
Originally posted by BlaxicanHydra
Neg, whoever said that the OT's acting sucked is right. Both had crappy, wooden, cliche diolouge, but

A) Most of the adults here saw that movie when they were kids, so they didn't care.

and B) It HAS grown on us. It's turned into such a classic that everyone forgets how crappy the acting and such actually was, which was prevalent in the 80's.

The OT may have not had winning acting. but you could take the characters seriously. As Tangible God Said,Harrison Ford does his part very well. in these films . the characters are supposed to be taken seriously but it is hard to. Hayden does kill these film. I mean how casually can you say " I am overcome by how much I love you" and crap like that without being in a shakspere play. I can't help to laugh when hayden talks.

NinthSith
He sucks, he has done nothing worth noting since Revenge of the Sith and never will. He may get an occasional role in an indipendent film but as far as being in another noteworthy movie it will never happen.

Just like Mark Hammil he went nowhere. The only thing Hayden has going for him is his look's.

AstroFan
Apart from some strange moments... like the Gundark-nest giggle...

That was kinda creepy. laughing out loud

I thought Ewan was the highlight of the PT, other actors, mainly the more veteran actors did well, but Ewan was the most entertaining of the main characters.

I dont blame Hayden for how Anakin turned out, he did the best anyone could of done with what was given/forced on him.

Stun

Originally posted by Tangible God
Even Guiness was alright. Stereotypical look of an Old Wise Man, but decent nonetheless.

Originally posted by ~LunaLoveG~
The OT may have not had winning acting

Well i think Alec Guiness was the best - by far. not to mention he was nominated for "best supporting actor" and is probably the only SW actor to win "best actor" - as much as i'm not fussed on what the Academy thinksstick out tongue but he was a great actor

sithsaber408
Originally posted by NinthSith
He sucks, he has done nothing worth noting since Revenge of the Sith and never will. He may get an occasional role in an indipendent film but as far as being in another noteworthy movie it will never happen.

Just like Mark Hammil he went nowhere. The only thing Hayden has going for him is his look's.

Umm... NO.

Sorry sweetheart, but Hayden has already proved himself as a good actor in Life as a House and Shattered Glass.

I just saw Factory Girl, where he plays Bob Dylan.

An EXCELLENT supporting role, if not necessarily an excellent film. (but that's another subject.)

As for being in any more BIG films..... he's in Awake with Jessica Alba as a man who is given anasthesia for a heart transplant and cannot move, but is awake and able to feel all of the pain from the procedure. Hilarity ensues. Sounds like a good flick.

Then there's Jumper, with Sam L. Jackson where he plays a guy that can teleport everywhere and the government wants to use him for CIA type stuff so they send another jumper (Jackson) in to get him. Hilarity ensues.

This thread is wack.

You people need to get it through your thick heads: You don't hate Hayden.... you hate the character of Anakin as George Lucas wrote and directed him.

Hayden did EXACTLY what he was told to do.

You just didn't like that Darth Vader wasn't who YOU dreamed him up to be.

As for Hayden, he can and does act well and we'll be seeing him in plenty of both big and small roles for quite awhile. thumb up

darthmaul1
Originally posted by NinthSith

Mark Hammil went nowhere?? Umm... I don't think Mark Hammil wanted anything hugley big after he was done with star wars. He has had a few small roles in some movies, and he has done a bunch of voices on cartoons like batman and the like, and video games. I think he made his money and was happy with that and just wanted to enjoy his life

Tangible God
Originally posted by sithsaber408
You people need to get it through your thick heads: You don't hate Hayden.... you hate the character of Anakin as George Lucas wrote and directed him.

You just didn't like that Darth Vader wasn't who YOU dreamed him up to be. Totally.

Rhindon
Umm... NO.

Sorry sweetheart, but Hayden has already proved himself as a good actor in Life as a House and Shattered Glass.

I just saw Factory Girl, where he plays Bob Dylan.

An EXCELLENT supporting role, if not necessarily an excellent film. (but that's another subject.)

As for being in any more BIG films..... he's in Awake with Jessica Alba as a man who is given anasthesia for a heart transplant and cannot move, but is awake and able to feel all of the pain from the procedure. Hilarity ensues. Sounds like a good flick.

Then there's Jumper, with Sam L. Jackson where he plays a guy that can teleport everywhere and the government wants to use him for CIA type stuff so they send another jumper (Jackson) in to get him. Hilarity ensues.

This thread is wack.

You just didn't like that Darth Vader wasn't who YOU dreamed him up to be.

As for Hayden, he can and does act well and we'll be seeing him in plenty of both big and small roles for quite awhile. thumb up

VERY well said. I was pi$$ed at what Lucas did with Anakin/Vader in the prequels. Completely turned one of the best villains of cinematic history into a whining, crying pu$$y. I hated it. But I did see footage and Hayden wanted to play Anakin tougher. Lucas wouldn't let him do it.

Kazenji

Whoever said the OT acting sucked is wrong more like it the acting in those movies were better then the PT.

queeq
They were.

Kevy2007
Actually any idiot could play a whiney emo and get a good peformance out of it. He also is pretty awful in Shattered Glass and doesn't convince for a second.

queeq
Hm....

Jaeh_JediPirate
so... majority of us agree that Anakin sucked in the PT because of how Lucas wrote it, not because of Hayden's acting... hmm am i right?

Kevy2007
It doesn't take a thicko like you to know that Lucas' material isn't a coin out to defend Hayden's sh!tty acting. Mark Hamill gave a great peformance in the OT when Lucas didn't have the greatest script in the world.

sithsaber408
It doesn't take a thicko like you to know that Lucas' material isn't a coin out to defend Hayden's sh!tty acting. Mark Hamill gave a great peformance in the OT when Lucas didn't have the greatest script in the world.

Apparently a thicko like you needs to go back and watch the DVD features where you can plainly see Lucas telling Hayden what to do, down to the way he turns his head in a certain shot.

Anakin is the way he is on screen because of Lucas, not because of Hayden.

And I like Anakin just fine actually, I think he just wasn't who you dreamed him up to be.

Hayden is a pretty good actor. Watch Life as A House, or Factory Girl.

Also, JUMPER looks like it will be a great film.

Quiero Mota

He did. An actor who I though would've made a great Anakin, but he's a little too old, is Mark Wahlberg.

Jaeh_JediPirate

And I like Anakin just fine actually, I think he just wasn't who you dreamed him up to be.

ditto.

although, Anakin was a bit too.. whiny, for me. and a lot of other complaints, but i won't get in them...

but over all, i guess he's okay....

Schecter
leonardo decaprio should have been anakin. GL should not have directed the PT. if one of these was so, the films would be better. if both were so, it would have been awesome. nothing against hayden, i think he's got a great future ahead of him and believe we'll see him do great things in cinema. but alas he was still too wet behind the ears to deal with lucas' crappy directing. same goes for portman. IMHO

queeq
DiCaprio???? I don't think so...

Schecter
i think so

queeq
Well.... why????

Schecter
because

queeq
Good reason.... NOT!

sithsaber408
You know, I think it really does come down to the character of Anakin though.

Hayden really did just play him as told.

I think many people, including myself, had a different idea of how Jedi Anakin would act and behave.

I remember Queeq's thread about how the "good friend" and hero that Obi-wan mentions doesn't quite show up in the films.

And I would say that he does, but it's differently than we thought he would.

We thought he'd be the ultimate Uber Jedi who goes evil.

See, the problem is... if Anakin is very heroic, and the ulimate Jedi, than the question becomes, then how did he fall to the dark side? Anakin can't be perfect, because then he wouldn't fall. Take for example Obiwan, A Jedi's Jedi. There's no chance in hell he's going to turn.

So Anakin's got to have problems and issues for him to legitmately fall to the dark side. Now, I'm all for Anakin as a former slave, power hungery guy that has an inferiority complex. But his characterization in AotC was quite a turn off. He was an arrogant, immmature inarticulate jerk basically. He rushed Dooku and paid for it, he ends up losing his limb.

But that's the turning point. He realizes he isn't half as good as he thinks he is, so during the war he goes to work, trains hard, serves the Jedi and the galaxy well. He and Obiwan become galactic heroes that the Republic counts on everyday. During the events of RotS, he's characterized as extremly heroic and the Jedi's greatest warrior.

But he isn't the Jedi's greatest Jedi. Being distant from Padme as the fear is eating away at him. So he goes to the dark side for her. But by the time they speak on Mustafar, the dark side has consumed him. Darth Vader has always been in his heart, we see. He desires power because he never had any when he was little, he's got a complex because he couldn't save his mother as a Jedi.

Personally, I found his characterization to be perfect in RotS. No doubt, Anakin Skywalker was a hero in the clone wars. He had issues due to his childhood and he couldn't handle the commitments of the Jedi Order.

Schecter
Good reason.... NOT!

i explained many times why he would have been better.

a great actor takes initiative to create depth to there character when their is none, and will protest and even defy idiocy on the part of a director when they know they're just churning out crap.

hayden and portman were like fish out of water given the environment (or lack of), cookie cutter dialogue and bluescreen washout, where as the more seasoned actors were able to rise above the mediocrity.

i dont think its about talent, but more about experience and wisdom, and a bit of cockiness to run with their characters instead of allowing GL to program every nuance of their expression scene by scene, and line by line.

a great director allows this process to unfold, rather than rule with an iron fist and demand that they perform exactly as per their 'vision'. thats just arrogance and demanding of the impossible.

queeq
Unless the director knows what he is doing. But I do agree with you, directing actors isn't George's strongest point. But maybe that's he he doesn't bring in the great stars.

And SS, I think your analysis makes sense. A second point I was making with the 'good friend' thread is that Anakin was never the hero we could cheer for. I found that a major problem. With Luke: we could cheer with him as he blew up the death star, then we suffered with him when he lost to Vader (but we were still cheering for him despite his poor choice in leaving Yoda) and then we still loved him as the mature JEdi.
With Anakin: he was a smart a$$ kid, then annoying little bra and when he became interesting in ROTS I think I don't care so much for him anymore...

Schecter

With Anakin: he was a smart a$$ kid, then annoying little bra and when he became interesting in ROTS I think I don't care so much for him anymore...

oh but werent you paying attention? the heroic anakin we were supposed to be cheering existed between eps 1 and 2, and between 2 and 3. sure we didnt actually get to see him but he was written into the story. oh and what about when he rescued obiwan from that pit of gundarks? so many examples of cheer-worthy heroism. oh but unappreciative and overdemanding fans like you actually want to SEE it with your own two eyes. tsk tsk.

exanda kane
ROFL

chewy16
I think it is a combination of three things as to why the Anakin Skywalker character kills the PT movies:

-Hayden is a not an awful actor, but he is not a good one either. His delivery of whatever he says is flat and unconvincing, and I guarantee if he weren't a good looking guy, he wouldn't even be an actor. Lucas needed a great actor cause he had to carry all these dramatic moments for everyone to feel his tragedy. A great actor is able to seize on dramatic moments to cement themselves in the role, and Hayden didn't do it once in AOTC/ROTS.

-Lucas dialogue and direction were pretty poor, and that is because he is making a tragic dramatic story of this character in the realm of a 1930's cheesy serials he grew up with, and the two don't mix! If you watch those Flash Gordon serials Lucas & Spielberg loved, they didn't have any dramatic moments and they didn't flesh out any characters the way the PT did with Anakin, so it comes off as......cheesy, just the way Lucas wanted it.

-The Anakin character was never sympathetic or even cool from the first minute of AOTC. He should have been this cool ass cocky jedi who was cool under pressure and the audience would want to be like him, so when he finally becomes that tragic figure because of his arrogance, you could relate to him. The problem was Lucas made him a whiny, stalker-like, misfit, who turned out to be a prick in many ways and I ended up rooting for Kenobi to kick his ass in ROTS!

sithsaber408
-You need to check out the interview where Hayden says that his "Flat" and "monotone" delivery (kinda like JEJ as Darth) was modeled off of a combination of Mark Hamill's and Vaders speech patterns to match their way of delivering dialogue in the OT.

ThoraxeRMG
-You need to check out the interview where Hayden says that his "Flat" and "monotone" delivery (kinda like JEJ as Darth) was modeled off of a combination of Mark Hamill's and Vaders speech patterns to match their way of delivering dialogue in the OT.

I agree greatly.

queeq
Which is rather lame... he should have made Anakin a person all by himself. Not ripping off other people's performances. I doubt JEJ ever thought when he was doing the ESB Vader lines: oh... maybe I should try sounding more like Hammill now....

Originally posted by Schecter
oh but werent you paying attention? the heroic anakin we were supposed to be cheering existed between eps 1 and 2, and between 2 and 3. sure we didnt actually get to see him but he was written into the story. oh and what about when he rescued obiwan from that pit of gundarks? so many examples of cheer-worthy heroism. oh but unappreciative and overdemanding fans like you actually want to SEE it with your own two eyes. tsk tsk.

LOL, Paul, LOL.

TheMagicPillow
i thought he did a good job.

Jaeh.is.Awesome
hm. interestingly enough, we are now seeing "more" of Anakin's heroism in the clone wars tv shows.

and hayden's not exactly in it. and lucas... I don't know much about CW to tell if Lucas is totally wrapped up in it or not - he is, right? idk.

hm... considering that lots of the clone wars - the tv show today, anyway - episodes "suck" (I for one "irrationally" don't think so), and it being blatantly ignoring canon (*sigh*), now we're seeing less whiny Anakin and more heroic Anakin.

as I have said, blatantly ignoring canon >>.

queeq
I saw Jumper... Hayden can actually act fairly decently.

sweersa
I saw Jumper... Hayden can actually fairly decently.

That is what my friend tells me. I need to see it, he says it is pretty good.

I think the script is what threw him off a bit for ROTS.

~:Mr.Anderson:~
I thought jumper was retarded.

darthmaul1
I think Hayden did a great job in both films. watch life as a house that was a good film of his.

sweersa
Originally posted by darthmaul1
I think Hayden did a great job in both films.

I thought he was pretty good most of the time. I like his hair better in ROTS though.

Jaeh.is.Awesome
Originally posted by sweersa
I thought he was pretty good most of the time. I like his hair better in ROTS though.

agreed. His hair in AOTC didn't look too good on him.

Slash_KMC
Originally posted by Jaeh.is.Awesome
agreed. His hair in AOTC didn't look too good on him.

Well, he didn't have a choice. Apparently it's in the Jedi Code to leave a ponytail as an apprentice. I think.

Jaeh.is.Awesome
Originally posted by Slash_KMC
Well, he didn't have a choice. Apparently it's in the Jedi Code to leave a ponytail as an apprentice. I think.

yeah, something like that. human male padawans apparently have a haircut code... thing...

that doesn't mean it looks good on everyone.

Slash_KMC
Originally posted by Jaeh.is.Awesome
yeah, something like that. human male padawans apparently have a haircut code... thing...

that doesn't mean it looks good on everyone.

Nah, just Ewan I guess.

Jaeh.is.Awesome
Originally posted by Slash_KMC
Nah, just Ewan I guess.

as a Ewan fangirl I'm inclined to agree, but as a fan I have to admit there are shots in which even Ewan looks ridiculous.

queeq
Originally posted by ~:Mr.Anderson:~
I thought jumper was retarded.

It was. I wasn't saying the movie was excellent, fairly enjoyable for a tv viewing. My point was that Hayden's acting was not as cringeworthy as it was in AOTC and ROTS. And I doubt it's just the script, it may just be the director.

DarthLazious
I admit Hayden didn't do so well playing Anakin in AOTC but in ROTS he did better job.

queeq
Better, yes.

Luminatus
Meh. i LIKED HIM IN ROTS. To each their own.

queeq
Quite.

Red Superfly
I think he's a good actor. I liked him in Shatterred Glass, thought he was solid.

Everyone kinda stank in Star Wars, that's Lucas, not the actors.

queeq
I tend to concur.

sweersa

InfernoJG95
Hayden did a great performance of anakin it's George who turned him into a whiny ass emo. My mum was watching factory girl I was getting a drink and I saw hayden and I was like omg ANAKIN

InfernoJG95
Lol forgot to finish that post hayden was like a secondary idol like that to me. Mark Hamil though was my hero and idol.

queeq
At least Hamill had some leeway to make something of his character.

InfernoJG95
Yeah and GL wasn't telling him how to deliver his lines

Sith Master X
I thought Hamil did a pretty god job personally.

queeq
So did I.

InfernoJG95
Basically the guy who started this has no clue about acting

queeq
So you think Hayden delivered the lines " I am so in love with you" and the other one he mentioned in a great way?

Sith Master X
Now you know 99 percent of the time, I back George...lol
But with that scene, I just don't know how Lucas couldn't have said to himself...."wait a second...these lines don't work at all."

Member.
Hayden plain sucked in the prequels. There's no denying it.

Sith Master X
I don't think he was that bad. Nothing special, but STAR WARS, and even the originals never really had acting going for it.

I think Hayden did fine. Especially the scene in EPISODE II where he's going off on Padme about killing the Tuskens. That was pretty solid. Then there's areas that weren't great either, but I won't be one of those people that makes a rather bold statement and say that he killed these movies. He didn't. What killed these movies to most people is the fact that they were different from the OT and were made more for kids than adults. I never had a problem with the PT. I am one the lucky few people that can sit back, relax and enjoy them for what they are. wink

darthmaul1
Originally posted by Sith Master X
I don't think he was that bad. Nothing special, but STAR WARS, and even the originals never really had acting going for it.

I think Hayden did fine. Especially the scene in EPISODE II where he's going off on Padme about killing the Tuskens. That was pretty solid. Then there's areas that weren't great either, but I won't be one of those people that makes a rather bold statement and say that he killed these movies. He didn't. What killed these movies to most people is the fact that they were different from the OT and were made more for kids than adults. I never had a problem with the PT. I am one the lucky few people that can sit back, relax and enjoy them for what they are. wink

Well said, me too. I love it how people say the PT were for kids. ummm how about the ewoks? Jar Jar in the first one was for kids but after that he was pretty much nonexistant. I can look past Jar Jar and enjoy the story of episode I, and i thought Hayden was great. on par with Hamill.
Hamill was just as whiney in places (but i was going into toshy station to pick up some power converters!)

Member.
Hamill's acting trumped the bad dialogue. Sadly, Hayden couldn't get past that hurdle.

AthenasTrgrFngr
luke was the weakest part of the ot to me. his role was never very special or convincing compared to some of the more larger than life characters like vader or han.

queeq
Yet, he was the spark that made people come. It was a different time then. This innocent farm boy after the turbulent 60s and 70s was just right at the time. I doubt Hayden will ever fit in.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.