Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince CAST - Rumors, Suggestions, etc.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Strangelove
Thought I'd make this thread as casting rumors are abound.

Naomi Watts, Joseph Fiennes and Stuart Townsend were all debunked, although their removal isn't final...

First: Who needs to be cast? Assuming that some characters will be left out, of course...disgust

*Rufus Scrimgeour, Minister of Magic
*Narcissa Malfoy
*Horace Slughorn
*Muggle Prime Minister
*Marvolo, Merope, and Morfin Gaunt
*Fenrir Greyback
*Hepzibah Smith
*etc.

Let the conversation begin!

Syren
I like the idea of Bill Nighy playing Rufus Scrimgeour yes

Silent Dreams
Rufus Scrimgeour, Minister of Magic - Bill Nighy. (good choice)
http://i.imdb.com/Photos/Events/5928/BillNighy_Count_13418018_400.jpg

Narcissa Malfoy - Tilda Swinton
http://www.baronage.co.uk/2006a/orlando.jpg

Horace Slughorn - Derek Jacobi
http://www.themindrobber.co.uk/doctor-who-season-3/derek-jacobi-utopia.jpg

Merope -Verity Rushworth
http://www.emmerdale.org/emmerdale/profiles/donna1.jpg

Hepzibah Smith - Kathy Burke
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/7b/Lindalahughes_g_g_g.JPG

zombieman
David Jason - Professor Slughorn!?

Silent Dreams
Fenrir Greyback - Trevor Eve
http://interactive.myvillage.com/mv/image_server/images/1162500878141.jpg

Quinlan-Vos
And there's all the Weasleys we haven't met... Surely Bill needs to be in it? Chris Evans for Bill... laughing out loud

Barker
Originally posted by Quinlan-Vos
And there's all the Weasleys we haven't met... Surely Bill needs to be in it? Chris Evans for Bill... laughing out loud
http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/9/95/Weasley_Family_in_Egypt.jpg

Charlie and Bill are on either side of Arthur in this screen from Prisoner of Azkaban.

Not that many people remember stuff like that.

zombieman
Originally posted by Silent Dreams
Fenrir Greyback - Trevor Eve
http://interactive.myvillage.com/mv/image_server/images/1162500878141.jpg

Nah, Brian Blessed. Come on!

Silent Dreams
Brian Blessed!

I really do not think he could be Fenir. Brian has such a warm loving face.

Council#13
Originally posted by Syren
I like the idea of Bill Nighy playing Rufus Scrimgeour yes

Me too. Although we might be all be in the theaters watching thinking to ourselves, "What the heck is Davy Jones doing in Harry Potter?"
I like what he said about him being the only actor in England not having have been in a Harry Potter movie. laughing out loud

jasonowens4200
Bill Nighy is close friends with director david yates and there has been talk about him playing rufus go here i think these a perfect suggestions for the new roles in HBP http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2007/07/casting_the_next_harry_potter.html espiecally slughorn

exanda kane
Boris Johnson as the Muggle Prime Minister.

Lana
I'd say Cate Blanchett for Narcissa.
http://images.askmen.com/galleries/actress/cate-blanchett/pictures/cate-blanchett-picture-1.jpg

Tilda Swinton has the right look, too.

siriuswriter
I think Bob Hoskins would make an awesome Slughorn.

http://i.imdb.com/Photos/Events/1715/BobHoskins_Vespa_282944_400.jpg

But then JK Rowling said on the Jonathan Ross show that there was a role for him in DH - and I've been trying to figure out who she meant - maybe Xenophilius Lovegood? I dunno - did anyone watch that, and wonder? What are everyone's ideas on the book 7 role that Bob Hoskins could have that JK was referring to?

exanda kane
Maybe a Gringotts goblin *shrug*.

In all fairness, John Hurt could play every single role.

siriuswriter
Oooh, I just remembered. I think it would be awesome if they could have Judi Dench as Neville's grandmother. Even though they probably won't include her in any of the movies, I could so see her as that character.

http://www.herefordcathedral.org/news/Judi_Dench.jpg

I think she would make a good Hepzibah Smith as well, come to think of it. She just needs to be somewhere in these films...!

Strangelove
I like Tilda Swinton as Narcissa, and Bill Nighy as Scrimgeour would be amazing. I read somewhere that Jim Broadbent could be Slughorn, and that sounds like a fantastic idea.

Silent Dreams
I do feel that Tilda is perfect for Narcissa.

Do you think Verity would be a could Merope?

tigress
Originally posted by Strangelove
I like Tilda Swinton as Narcissa, and Bill Nighy as Scrimgeour would be amazing. I read somewhere that Jim Broadbent could be Slughorn, and that sounds like a fantastic idea.

Totally agree saying that david jason would make an excellent Albus Ive said it for years when are they going to retire Gambon he just has never cut it as our dear Albus for me,
Brian blessed would make an excellent Fenrir I remember him in Flash gordon ( I promise Im not ancient lol ) he'd be great at it.

jasonowens4200
jim broadbent would be the best choice for slughorn if you read the discription of him in the book he looks like him and whats the deal with gambon are they getting a new dumbledore i thought he was pretty good

Silent Dreams
I hated Gambon as Albus. I would of hired Peter O'Toole

Dresta
I have to agree that Gambon is poor, he justs shouts all the time and seems very irritable, when Dumbledore is supposed to be a calm character.

Strangelove
I think that Gambon gets a bum rap. In his first movie as Dumbledore, I thought he was quite good, as he showed that part of Dumbledore that I liked best: the spry, lively Dumbledore. But in GoF and OotP, his part was cut down so much that he was hardly given any chance to be the Dumbledore that he could. So it's basically the movie studio's fault (as usual)

jasonowens4200
that didnt answer my ? thanks for telling me what you thought of him but is he getting replaced
everyone go to this site the PERFECT selection for the new cast members except for cissy http://nymag.com/daily/entertainmen...rry_potter.html

Strangelove
Originally posted by jasonowens4200
that didnt answer my ? thanks for telling me what you thought of him but is he getting replaced
everyone go to this site the PERFECT selection for the new cast members except for cissy http://nymag.com/daily/entertainmen...rry_potter.html Michael Gambon is staying. They wouldn't replace and actor unless they had to.

goddess_susu
I heard rumors that Naomi Watts has signed to play Narcissa. I think she'd be good for the character.

siriuswriter
I've got to agree with everyone else - I think Naomi Watts is simply too young and innocent looking for Narcissa. And the fact that she's Australian, with JK's insistence that everyone be from the UK...

I would have liked to see Nicole Kidman take a crack at Narcissa, especially after seeing her in clips of being Mrs. Coulter from "The Golden Compass," I think she could pull off that elegant but evil beauty supuremely. But she's Australian as well, so that wouldn't work.

Tilda Swinton would be a great choice, though. She'd have to tone down her ABSOLUTE EVIL from Narnia (that's the only thing I've seen her in) but I have a feeling she'd be able to. The points in the film where she was "trying" to be charming to Edmund, the scene toward the beginning in the sleigh - I think that could be Narcissa.

Surreal_44
Am I the only one who likes Gambon as Dumbledore? I absolutely hated Richard Harris as Dumbledore. He was a lovely man, I'm sure, but as Dumbledore he was frail, his voice was all wrong, and he always looked ready to drop over dead. I realize now of course that he was ill, but even so...he should never have been cast in the first place.

Gambon is as I imagine Dumbledore; powerful but gentle, fun-loving but stern, brilliant but also very human...that's what makes Dumbledore. Not this 'twinkling' non-sense I hear so much from people who hate Gambon. It shows an inherent lack of understanding of who and what Dumbledore is (or was, if you like) as a character.

Gambon pulls off the relationship with Harry much better. He's sometimes a bit rough with Harry, and stern, but watch his hands. In GoF, when Harry returns, he gently strokes Harry's head. He smoothes back Harry's hair and pats him on the shoulder in a very fatherly manner near the end of GoF.

In OotP he is impatient and stern with those who want to harm Harry. At the end he cradles Harry in his arms, his talk with Harry is a perfect balance of mentor and parent, and at times he is incredibly tender with Harry.

Also, Gambon is not entirely to blame. He does have to contend with the scriptwriter and the director on how they want him to play Dumbledore. Either way, Gambon is perfect. I can't wait to see him in HBP.

I'm awful with actors names...however, did I hear that Jack Davenport was attempting to get a part in Harry Potter, or is that just an old rumor with no basis?

jasonowens4200
surreal 44 you're not the only one i think he plays a better dumbledore than harris i wish they would have had him in the first two films
and siriuswriter naomi watts was born in the UK and was raised in australia

exanda kane
I like Gambon.

~LunaLoveG~
As do I. He is good at the role. Gambon does well. the old dumbledore was the best as being calm and collected. but unless you got a spade and a resurectting stone. there is no one else in the world who can play dumbledore.

I am worried for HBP. they are keeping the same director. I like the OOTP but I hate the director. I am afraid of what he will cut out.

jasonowens4200
Originally posted by ~LunaLoveG~
As do I. He is good at the role. Gambon does well. the old dumbledore was the best as being calm and collected. but unless you got a spade and a resurectting stone. there is no one else in the world who can play dumbledore.

I am worried for HBP. they are keeping the same director. I like the OOTP but I hate the director. I am afraid of what he will cut out.

yea i know what you mean about yates that was the longest book out of the series and also the shortest movie he said the first 4 ran too long and he knew that people would hate that but he wanted to show the physcologically of harry and darker side of how damaged he was and he thought that is what should have been important or something like that i read it in entertainment weekly he wanted to take kreacher out of it too but jkr told him he would regret it in the later movies

Strangelove
Originally posted by Surreal_44
Am I the only one who likes Gambon as Dumbledore? I absolutely hated Richard Harris as Dumbledore. He was a lovely man, I'm sure, but as Dumbledore he was frail, his voice was all wrong, and he always looked ready to drop over dead. I realize now of course that he was ill, but even so...he should never have been cast in the first place.

Gambon is as I imagine Dumbledore; powerful but gentle, fun-loving but stern, brilliant but also very human...that's what makes Dumbledore. Not this 'twinkling' non-sense I hear so much from people who hate Gambon. It shows an inherent lack of understanding of who and what Dumbledore is (or was, if you like) as a character.

Gambon pulls off the relationship with Harry much better. He's sometimes a bit rough with Harry, and stern, but watch his hands. In GoF, when Harry returns, he gently strokes Harry's head. He smoothes back Harry's hair and pats him on the shoulder in a very fatherly manner near the end of GoF.

In OotP he is impatient and stern with those who want to harm Harry. At the end he cradles Harry in his arms, his talk with Harry is a perfect balance of mentor and parent, and at times he is incredibly tender with Harry.

Also, Gambon is not entirely to blame. He does have to contend with the scriptwriter and the director on how they want him to play Dumbledore. Either way, Gambon is perfect. I can't wait to see him in HBP.

I'm awful with actors names...however, did I hear that Jack Davenport was attempting to get a part in Harry Potter, or is that just an old rumor with no basis? I love Gambon srug

I liked Harris as well, though. They embody different traits of Dumbledore quite well.

exanda kane
I don't think people should really condemn David Yates for one effort, he has a back catalogue of quality TV work in the UK (Yes, I've seen alot of it, and it's good) and it shouldn't have escaped your notice that Order of the Phoenix recieved very positive critical reception. I'd be glad for him to direct the last two. Him or Cauron.

I mean, Chris Columbus? Seriously?

Melcórë
Wait a minute - people actually prefer Gambon's portrayal of Dumbledore as compared with Harris' performance? Have you guys read the books? confused

Seriously though, I've grown to like him - I've enjoyed him rather cordially in both PoA and OotP - but I can't shake certain moments of his performance; just too rough and Irish for Dumbledore in my eyes.

When compared with the last two films, I find that OotP is actually much closer to the source material. I didn't realize this until the second time I saw the film, but parts of OotP seemed to be simply ripped from the pages. I think Yates did an excellent job.

Surreal_44
Hehe. Yes, I've read the books. I always envisioned Dumbledore as an amusing, energetic man who was wise, stern and yet also very human for all his strength and power.

Harris didn't do it for me. Physically I think he looks the part a bit more than Gambon (he's a bit thinner and the nose is better), but everything else was all wrong for me.

He took forever to get his lines out, his voice was too hoarse, he seemed too fragile and honestly, he was not engaging to me at all. Poor Mr. Harris was quite ill, from what I understand, so I feel badly for saying that I thought his performance was awful.

I clearly recall sitting in the theater and wishing dearly that they had cast someone else as Dumbledore. His lines always sounded awkward to me, and his voice absolutely drove me up a wall.

Gambon is Dumbledore; when he speaks, he is the focus of all the listeners, and rightly so. Dumbledore is a powerful, powerful wizard. The only time I ever saw him as being frail was in HBP, and even then he had an underlying strength and authority that I seriously think only Gambon can make it work.

One of Dumbledore's lines that I hope they will work into the film comes from Harry asking Dumbledore if he's all right, and Dumbledore responds, "Of course I am. I'm with you." (or something of that ilk; I haven't got the book in front of me). It's a defining moment of the relationship Harry and Dumbledore have with each other and Gambon has really developed it in subtle ways on screen that I think it would be wonderful to see in the film. big grin

Melcórë
Really? I've always thought that Harris - body, voice and all - embodied Dumbledore perfectly. I guess its simply a matter of taste.

Like I say, though, I've grown to love Gambon in PA and OotP.

Surreal_44
Yep, yep. My biggest problem with Harris was that...it...took...so...long...for...him...to get his freakin' lines out. I wanted to shake him and ask him where Dumbledore's energy was.

celestialdemon
I loved Harris as Dumbledore. I thought he fit the character perfectly. He always seemed cool, calm, and caring. Reminds me of a wise, old grandfather figure.

Gambon's portrayal seems more like an advisor to Harry now rather than a mentor. Besides a few scenes in the Prisoner of Azkaban, I haven't really felt that Gambon's Dumbledore actually cared for Harry. It seems like he's more concerned with Voldemort instead.

celestialdemon
I agree that Bill Nighy would make a great Scrimgeour. I also like Tilda Swinton playing Narcissa. As for Slughorn, I think Jim Broadbent would be a better choice than Bob Hoskins. Even though Hoskins is short, he has a rougher look to him than Broadbent. I don't see Slughorn that way.

I can see Ben Kingsley playing Marvolo Gaunt, Samantha Morton playing Merope, and Andy Serkis as Morfin.

Melcórë
Personally, I've always based part of my vision of Scrimgeour on Gambon as in, say, L4yer Cake. He has a gruff and yet authorative air to him that seems to fit for me. Too bad he's already Dumbledore.

Strangelove

Rapscallion
Scrimgeour: Bill Nighy
Narcissa: Kate Blanchet
Slughorn: John Rys Davies
Gaunt: John Noble
Merope:?
Morphin:?
Tom Riddle: Jack Davenport
Fenrir:Ian Mckellen (going against type here, but we know he can give truly twisted evil performances.might be a hair too old, but fenrir would have to be old if he was an adult when he bit lupin.) or if deemed too old i'd go with Sean Bean (i'm in a LOTR mood)
Neville's Gran: Judi dench

other great british actors to consider...
rachel wiess( possibly merope but i don't love it)
danny huston( secondary death eater character)
daniel craig(chameleon actor could be just about anything has about zero percent chance of being in the next movie)
Kate Winslet(grey lady in the 7th one)
michael cain(stuffier, more pompous alternative version of Slughorn, but not a great fit)
Ben Kingsley( maybe gaunt, i kinda like him as the guy from the ministry who goes to see the gaunts though. way too overqualified for such a small role)
Hugo Weaving( gaunt maybe)
Liam Neeson( at six foot four he has the stature to be fenrir. the talent too, don't know if it's a great fit though.

on a side note: i love Peter O'Toole as Dumbledoor. Too Bad it would never happen.

celestialdemon
Originally posted by Rapscallion
Scrimgeour: Bill Nighy
Narcissa: Kate Blanchet
Slughorn: John Rys Davies
Gaunt: John Noble
Merope:?
Morphin:?
Tom Riddle: Jack Davenport
Fenrir:Ian Mckellen (going against type here, but we know he can give truly twisted evil performances.might be a hair too old, but fenrir would have to be old if he was an adult when he bit lupin.) or if deemed too old i'd go with Sean Bean (i'm in a LOTR mood)
Neville's Gran: Judi dench

other great british actors to consider...
rachel wiess( possibly merope but i don't love it)
danny huston( secondary death eater character)
daniel craig(chameleon actor could be just about anything has about zero percent chance of being in the next movie)
Kate Winslet(grey lady in the 7th one)
michael cain(stuffier, more pompous alternative version of Slughorn, but not a great fit)
Ben Kingsley( maybe gaunt, i kinda like him as the guy from the ministry who goes to see the gaunts though. way too overqualified for such a small role)
Hugo Weaving( gaunt maybe)
Liam Neeson( at six foot four he has the stature to be fenrir. the talent too, don't know if it's a great fit though.

on a side note: i love Peter O'Toole as Dumbledoor. Too Bad it would never happen.

I wonder if Sean Bean would play a good Fenrir. He seems to play every other bad brit out there.

Surreal_44
Originally posted by celestialdemon
I loved Harris as Dumbledore. I thought he fit the character perfectly. He always seemed cool, calm, and caring. Reminds me of a wise, old grandfather figure.

Gambon's portrayal seems more like an advisor to Harry now rather than a mentor. Besides a few scenes in the Prisoner of Azkaban, I haven't really felt that Gambon's Dumbledore actually cared for Harry. It seems like he's more concerned with Voldemort instead.

It's all a matter of taste. big grin But I do see that Dumbledore cares for Harry. Very much so. He's very physical with Harry; stroking Harry's head when he brings Cedric back in GoF, clutching him in fear and partial anger when he thinks Harry put his name in the Goblet, at the end of GoF when Dumbledore talks to Harry in the boys dormitory he touches Harry's face and pats him on the shoulder. It's all very fatherly.

He does the same thing then in OotP. You can see his impatience with the people who want to harm Harry. He's very concerned with Harry, but he always tries -- and fails-- to maintain a distance from Harry. He doesn't want to get attached, but he can't help it. At the end of OotP he cradles Harry in his arm, strokes his hair again after Voldemort possesses him...it's a beautiful, subtle moment that speaks so much about how much Dumbledore does in fact care for Harry.

Oh, I hated book!Sirius so much that I threw a party when he died. He was a bastard, self-centered and incredibily immature. I couldn't feel the bond Harry and Sirius had, because Sirius spent so much of his time being nasty to everyone and treating Harry like...I don't know. I couldn't get a sense of a bond, and I was puzzled why Harry was so upset with his loss.

However, in the movie, they cut out all of Sirius's nastiness. He listened to Harry, reassured Harry, and was the mature adult Harry needed in his life. I felt bad when Sirius died in the film. When I read the book my reaction was to go and buy a cupcake to celebrate the fact I wouldn't have to read anymore Sirius. stick out tongue

Gary Oldman did a wonderful job with Sirius. I kind of wish JKR had made Sirius more like they did in the film.

Syren
*rant* *rant* *rant*

I'm not trying to say you're wrong, Surreal, because it's all about perspective, but how can you say Sirius was utterly wrong in the book and how could you not have felt the bond between Harry and Sirius?

I'm sorry... I cried when Sirius died in the book and it does take moving and emotive reading for me to cry. Admittedly, I didn't sob like I did when Dumbledore died but still, Sirius' death was tragic and heart-breaking.

I think what I'm actually trying to ask is how can two people have such opposite in the extreme reactions to the same part?

I'm confused laughing out loud

Roulette
Originally posted by Dresta
I have to agree that Gambon is poor, he justs shouts all the time and seems very irritable, when Dumbledore is supposed to be a calm character.

Exactly! O.O he was quite scary in GoF...I'm thinking of one scene in particular. It was after Harry was chosen as the 4th champion. He (Gambon) basically strangled Harry when he asked him if he put his name in the Goblet of fire o.o

Originally posted by celestialdemon

yes Took the words right out of my mouth!

simonrob123
i have heard that emma watson is leaving but im not positive she is now

all i know is bonnie wright is going to get some realy good kissing seens

Barker
Isn't the entire trio signed on for the final two movies?

DarkC
First of all: Sir Ian McKellen as Dumbledore. His Gandalf portrayal was to me much like a Dumbledore as well. I've been saying this since day one and I will continue to preach it.

http://uashome.alaska.edu/~jndfg20/website/gandalf.gif
-His voice is deep. (As described by JKR in HBP book)
-He has a naturally cultured way of speech. (ALL of McKellen's characters, from LOTR to X-Men to even Da Vinci Code, are extremely smooth)
-His accent is British.
-His voice, even when spoken quietly, can radiate immense power behind it.

Lana has the right idea for Cate Blanchett as Narcissa, I never even considered her. She can properly look disdainful and powerful at the same time, like such!
http://www.eugenewei.com/images/movies/cate-blanchett.jpg
She's not overly hot either and she's neither old nor young; Naomi Watts looks a little young and attractive for the part. Seriously, there's enough "I want to bang" characters in the movies already.

Someone mentioned Bob Hoskins for Slughorn, I think that's also a great idea, having seen him in Unleashed, he's not as fat as Slughorn but he has a nice rough Brit accent and he can be properly jovial.
http://www.smbhq.com/users/movies/15.jpg

jasonowens4200
why is everyone hating on gambon he is a awesome dumbledore and harris was perfect for the first two movies but who could see harris fighting voldemort in OotP if he was still alive come on now and i haave to agree McKellen would have been a good dumbledore too

H. S. 6
Slughorn: Danny Devito.

I'm pretty confident this will become truth.

chillmeistergen
Don't be an idiot.

miss_swann
Of course I'll never see the movie but...

Rufus Scrimgeour, Minister of Magic = Bill Nighy (picture already up)
Narcissa Malfoy = Rosamund Pike (with extensions)
Horace Slughorn = Derek Jacobi (picture already up)
Merope Gaunt = Natalie Portman
Morfin Gaunt = Rupert Friend
Fenrir Greyback = Andrew Lincoln
Hepzibah Smith = Judi Dench (picture up as suggestion for Nevilles grandmother.)

Rosamund Pike = http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z256/addie_golightly/Narcissa.jpg

Natalie Portman = http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z256/addie_golightly/merope.jpg

Rupert Friend = http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z256/addie_golightly/Morfin.jpg

Andrew Lincoln = http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z256/addie_golightly/fenrir.jpg

DoomsdayClock
Sort of off topic. But for the final movie, what do you all think of Michael Caine as Aberforth Dumbledore? I think that would be perfect.

Strangelove
Originally posted by H. S. 6
Slughorn: Danny Devito.

I'm pretty confident this will become truth. I think they're trying to keep it British

jasonowens4200
what'd i say i told you jim broadbent would play slughorn

Arctic
I agree with whoever said Ian McKellen should have been Dumbledore. He was great in LOTR as Gandalf...Gambon is okay, but I think McKellen would have fit better.

Just my 2 cents. And Kate Blanchett would actually do pretty well is Narcissa. Looks the part.

Prince Nauj
Broadbent is Slughorn in Harry Potter 6
Source: September 18, 2007

In an interview with Dark Horizons, actor Jim Broadbent revealed who he will play in Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, which started filming on Monday for a November 21, 2008 release. Here's a clip from the interview:

Who am I? He's called Horace Slughorn. He's a retired teacher of magic who's drawn back out of retirement because he's got some secrets they need in the battle against the Death Eaters and he's quite star struck as a teacher and he's drawn back into the fold because he likes to notch up celebrity students, and he's drawn back by Harry.

He talks a bit more about the character, as well as his role in Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, at the link above.

I think hes perfect!!!

siriuswriter
Ooooh! Terrific. I was just looking at a picture of him the other day (something to do Moulin Rouge, I think,) and I thought he looked exactly the part. smile

Strangelove
I'm looking forward to that, I love Jim Broadbent big grin

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.