David Lynch movies

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darla
Has anyone here seen Mulholland Drive? And understand it?

My flatmate's on a David Lynch binge with his DVD collection at the moment. I have some ideas about the film but I definitely need to see it again!

Ushgarak
My brother is the expert on this, but I am sure I can help you- feel free to ask any questions, but please use spoiler tags for the more sensitive ones!

Thomas H
david lynch movies=zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Ushgarak
Only for those incapable of understanding them... besides which, stuff like The Elephant Man is amongst the best of all cinema.

Thomas H
opss, forgot the elephant man, that movie is actually great!

ToMacco
I didn't care much for Muhulland Dr. I thought it was all over the place and bizarre.

BackFire349
elephant mans ending is probably the most beautiful scene ever captured on film.

finti
he did that tv thing twin peaks too right

BackFire349
yeah.

Ushgarak
Yes, easy to forget that Lynch also does mainstream films as well as his own unioque mixture of non-linear, thoughtful, intelligent and bizarre films like Lost Highway and Mulholland Drive.

Regardless of whether you like those films or not there is little doubting he is a great director.

Anyway, this thread's purpose is mainly to help DECODE his movies, I feel, rather than debate their quality.

Thomas H
david lynzzzzzzz

BackFire349
micheal gay.

Thomas H
back ****er 1651 (ops, that means that you and that michael gay can be partners) enjoy yourself!

Ushgarak
Cut that out right now. More off-topic comments will be deleted.

Thomas H
hope you are talking to both me and back(stabber)fire! hehe

BackFire349
okay

BackFire349
well i dunno, you were the one who cussed. i just made a juvenile joke. anywho. the only 2 david lynch movies ive seen are elephant man and mulhollan drive. id really like to see eraser head but i cant find it anywhere.

queeq
I've seen all of Lynch's films and personally I still don't really know what I should think of Lost Highway and Mulholland Drive. I like Mulholland Drive better than Lost Highway. But both are fairly crude cinematographically, one of the things that struck me. But basically for Lynch the main thing is that things are not always explainable... that's the way he made these two ones as well.

I have, except for Mulholland Drive all his films. Eraserhead is fanatastically bizarre. Straight Story is lovely and simple. My personal fav (though not Lynch's best) is Dune and Wild at Heart.

finti
yeah Dune is cool

Ushgarak
Crude how, queeq? I can't see that at all.

enema
I Blue Velvet for the...time the other day. It was more disturbing than I remember. Still wonderful, through and through. Hopper is amazing.

MildPossession
Mulholland Drive is fantastic, it can also be seen in many different ways, not one correct answer to what the films means, he made it in his way of viewing what it is suppose to be, but can be decoded in different ways for each viewer.

There are loads of websites on the meanings of Mulholland Drive, look it up on a search engine, lots of information.

Darla what do you make of it? any thoughts before people tell you theirs?

I love Lynch films, big fan of them, Eraserhead is a favourite.

Solo
Twin Peaks (the television series) is my favorite of Lynch's work. Although, Blue Velvet and Eraserhead come pretty damn close.

Mando
I watched the Brittish pilot of 'Twin Peaks' on accident.

papabeard
I like Red Rock West, The Elephant Man, Eraserhead, Twin Peaks, Wild at Heart, Blue Velvet, The Straight Story and Dune.

MildPossession
Red Rock West? that is not a Lynch film. John Dahl directed that film.

papabeard
Ha laughing out loud

Shows what I know.

C-Dic
Sorry to bump such an old thread, but I watched my purchased copy of "Eraserhead" today and I was NOT at all impressed. It was just..drab. It had instances that made me go "huh", but the majority of it was just slow and occassionally bizarre. I spent $13 on the damn thing, hopefully I can make it back.

Solo
Originally posted by C-Dic
Sorry to bump such an old thread, but I watched my purchased copy of "Eraserhead" today and I was NOT at all impressed. It was just..drab. It had instances that made me go "huh", but the majority of it was just slow and occassionally bizarre. I spent $13 on the damn thing, hopefully I can make it back.
Yeah, "Eraserhead" is more for the die hard Lynch fans. Have you seen "Blue Velvet"?

MildPossession

Solo
Don't get me wrong, it's one of my favorites.

C-Dic
I rented "Blue Velvet" tonight, per recommendations. As for "Eraserhead", it just didn't appeal to me. I read up on what I didn't understand, and it still didn't make me want to go back and watch it again. It was just..lifeless, and I'm not afraid to say that in front of Lynch fans. It was quirky in spots, but overall, dull in my opinion.

-Tired Hiker-
Originally posted by queeq
I've seen all of Lynch's films and personally I still don't really know what I should think of Lost Highway and Mulholland Drive. I like Mulholland Drive better than Lost Highway. But both are fairly crude cinematographically, one of the things that struck me. But basically for Lynch the main thing is that things are not always explainable... that's the way he made these two ones as well.

I have, except for Mulholland Drive all his films. Eraserhead is fanatastically bizarre. Straight Story is lovely and simple. My personal fav (though not Lynch's best) is Dune and Wild at Heart.

Yesss! Another 'Wild At Heart' fan! It's rare I find someone who has even heard of this film. I think it was Lynch's best film, really gets under your skin, and Willem Defoe as Jonny Peru was disgustingly spectacular. thumb up

WrathfulDwarf
The man is a genius of filmaking! I love his work on Dune...and Mulholland Drive is also a favorite. I love the atmosphere and suspence his films. The music sometimes is weird and somewhat haunting..but yet appealing. Great director...and Eraserhead was puzzling good. big grin

glenncerritos
Eraserhead is great, are they ever going to release Lost Highway on DVD? Has anyone seen the new short films of david lynch dvd collection? The short he did for Lumiere and Company was really cool.

MildPossession
Lost Highway is out on 2 disc DVD here in the UK, don't see why it doesn't have a release in America.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.