Why Do We Love Pirates So Much?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Anakin2009
It may sound like a silly question, but really what is it about Pirates of the Caribbean that makes us wanna keep watching it over and over again? What is it about Pirates that makes us keep writing forums and keep talking about it all the time? Is it the atmosphere of the story? is it the special effects or the the action scenes? is it the characters like Jack Sparrow that makes us laugh and cry at times? For me it's the adventure and the drama, you only find great stories like this but once in every few years. But what is about Pirates that you love so much?

lovethemtigers
Oh let's see...because it has Johnny depp as Captain Jack Sparrow.

and...well, the first one...for the story, I thought it was a great story and Jack sparrow was so much fun to watch.

T.Maria
yeah, the story was brilliant...i think it was the first time i ever thought that pirates were actually interesting...now i research them as private projects (im planning on starting to write a novel...different from POTC altogether, but i still need to do my research on what pirates were all about...).

And i think the 'love' story between jack and liz got me hooked, too.
OK, so they didnt end up together...but the chemistry was enough for me smile

And a shirtless johnny depp doesnt help to dampen the image either big grin

PHOARRRR!!!! big grin hehehe!

lovethemtigers
^^^I'm with TMaria....I mean, don't get me wrong, I loved Curse of the Black Pearl, but it was DMC and the forbidden/hot "love story" of Jack Sparrow and Elizabeth Swann that got me addicted to this trilogy

lovethemtigers
and as far as AWE....I really didn't enjoy it all....the reason I'm still here posting to this very day is because of Jack and Elizabeth and what could have/should have been.....there was no closure....and I would miss all my fellow sparrabethers terribly if I never visited KMC again....

mmoviejunkie
yup yup i agree! the thing that really got me hooked was jack/liz in DMC..i mean i saw the first one a few days before going to see DMC and i loved it-the action is awesome and it's such a clever story. i mean the jack just makes you want to become a priate because he's such a cool guy-lol but yeah the thing that got me real hooked was jack/liz

and of course the thing i didn't like the most about was AWE, but what also bothered me about it is i felt like it was a complete different story, i mean like it was like liz-will-jack hardly ever talked to eachother. i felt like the story was them working together for their own reasons, not working against eachother..idk i know this one was suppose to be different but i felt like it was just too different

miss_swann
I liked it because of the relationship between Will and Elizabeth. And the way Jack was so funny and got out of everything!

And also we were doing that time period in history at school when it came out I was the only person that really started to ENJOY history! lol

IheartPocky
CotBP got me hooked. I still think that movie is perfect..

miss_swann
big grin CotBP is the perfect movie! I liked the jokes so much!

~LunaLoveG~
Hmm Lets see.

It could be that the rare plot never before found in a film for years till now due to the unpopularity of pirate films. it brought back the interest in this people and brough a new franchise and such fandom into our hearts.

Oh...and Johnny Depp

texgodiva2s
Hi Anakin 2009, I'm an oldster Pirate--and it's just the freedom. I love the epics, ever since King Arthur's Court and Lancealot and Guinevere. It's about, for me anyway, how far will I go, how hard will I push myself for the people in my life AND still have a life and still have a laugh. Wouldn't really want to be on a smelly, crowded ship where I would have bad teeth etc--love the idea of standing on the front of that darn ship or being at the helm, on a watch from 2-6 a.m. (you can't believe how dark that is). Talking about this or whatever, gives me a place to BE. Gotta have a safe and wonderful place to stretch my little imagination.

miss_swann
Actually I just like any type of fantasy story in general which isn't sterotypically fantasy! And also Johnny Depp, Orlando Bloom and Fish People, what more could you ask for?

Ditte3
Originally posted by lovethemtigers
and as far as AWE....I really didn't enjoy it all....the reason I'm still here posting to this very day is because of Jack and Elizabeth and what could have/should have been.....there was no closure....and I would miss all my fellow sparrabethers terribly if I never visited KMC again.... I'm with you.

potcfan2003
A bit of randomness, but I was at boston common, and there was a guy dressed up like a colonial person, and he was wearing a tricorn hat. I wanted to yell hey that's Jack's hat!!

Ditte3
big grin

T.Maria
i almost bought jacks hat in blackpool in england on a night out big grin
I wanted to do fancy dress and go as a pirate....alas, it was never meant to be sad lol

miss_swann
I've got a replice of Sao Fengs piece of eight!

!!tangerines!!
what was sao fengs piece of eight?

Sifzensinril
that stone he wore on his neck

miss_swann
It's pretty!

lovethemtigers
Originally posted by potcfan2003
A bit of randomness, but I was at boston common, and there was a guy dressed up like a colonial person, and he was wearing a tricorn hat. I wanted to yell hey that's Jack's hat!!

I'm so jealous..I would love to be in Boston and be able to see the Common....my husband is originally from Boston and I haven't been there is quite some time. Lovely, lovely place...I love New England

I was thinking about my trip to Williamsburg, Virginia and few years back just before I saw POTC for the first time, and I would have gone crazy seeing all the Bristish Soldiers cuz they would have reminded me of Port Royal......I bought my little boy a tri-corner hat at one of the gift shops and he was adorable in it..I still have it! but it's not quite like Jack's, it's colonial style.......

miss_swann
We made tri corner hats in junior school, mine was pink.

texgodiva2s
more thoughts from Tx. ah, why pirates--can't have 'em--stands to reason that human nature thang that drives us all-- confused it's freedom, it's the cool talk and by all I hold dear--it's the RUM. Whatever else would make you want to be away from all you hold dear, computers, indoor plumbing, creature comforts so many I can't list--chocolate icecream, for sweet Mary's sake.

Of course, there's that feeling...if you've ever ever even once been on a boat with the movement of the water and the smell and the taste,oh yes the taste--of the sea, fresh water is good, but salt water, caresses and buoys you and dreams you--it's the soup of life from whence we all came. It's always good to go and visit your mother (ocean). In a nutshell, it's can't have 'em, wanna be 'em, and the blessed, beautiful and blue ocean. Yeah, oh, and the rum big grin
ta darlin's gotta go to Port A and check friend's boat--keep a weather eye.... rock

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.