Mario (Melee) vs. Captain America

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

SnazzySmurph
Mario from Smash Bros. Melee

vs.

Captain America

They fight at the bottom of a mile wide ravine.

Harry Fingerman
Mario knocks him off to the side 3 times.

SnazzySmurph
I was going to make a point about game mechanics not applying for a character's survival abilities...

starking
Mario in a stomp. He appears to have class 50 strength or such, and he should be far more agile than Ca, seeing how he can jump so damn high.

SnazzySmurph
Originally posted by starking
Mario in a stomp. He appears to have class 50 strength or such, and he should be just as agile, if not more so than Ca. Damn straight.

braz
Mario.

Soljer
Does Mario get a feather? Or a fireball? Or his frog-suit? Or a P-wing? Or a whistle?

Devil Lance
Originally posted by SnazzySmurph
Damn straight.

Not to mention he can blast fire balls at Cap

and he beats up people like bowser on a regular basis

Mario wins 10/10

SnazzySmurph
Originally posted by Soljer
Does Mario get a feather? Or a fireball? Or his frog-suit? Or a P-wing? Or a whistle? Melee Mario, none of that is standard equip or in the game (and presumably unfamiliar to the character, though familiarity was never a problem in SSB).

So, no.

However, it's important to note that he already has his cape, fireballs and electrically charged gloves (I think the side-c smash is electricity...) with him.

Creshosk
Melee Mario, none of that is standard equip or in the game (and presumably unfamiliar to the character, though familiarity was never a problem in SSB).

So, no.

However, it's important to note that he already has his cape, fireballs and electrically charged gloves (I think the side-c smash is electricity...) with him. Sideways smash was a point blank fire attack.

SnazzySmurph
Originally posted by Creshosk
Sideways smash was a point blank fire attack. Ah, then I'm mixing it up with Doc Mario, whose was electrical, iirc.

Either way, Mario wins.

Very skilled, at least as agile, and superior stats.

Harry Fingerman
Sprite thread den?

SnazzySmurph
No, testing the water.

Besides, I'm sure that there's an argument to be made for Cap fighting stronger, tougher opponents before. And he has the shield...

braz
Does he get the metallic cap? (Man I love that thing) big grin

SnazzySmurph
If I haven't mentioned it, and it isn't standard, he doesn't get it.

Harry Fingerman
No, testing the water.

Besides, I'm sure that there's an argument to be made for Cap fighting stronger, tougher opponents before. And he has the shield... Fine den! mad

Cap I buleeve was teh smashing secondary adamantium with his proton shield.
One hit, an its ova.

Odderwise, he tota11y took dwn Huc basicaly by himself.

braz
Ok then, I just thought I'd ask

SnazzySmurph
Originally posted by braz
Ok then, I just thought I'd ask Well, you should be sorry.

Go repent.

SnazzySmurph
Originally posted by Harry Fingerman
Fine den! mad

Cap I buleeve was teh smashing secondary adamantium with his proton shield.
One hit, an its ova.

Odderwise, he tota11y took dwn Huc basicaly by himself. See?

I knew some dumbass would come along eventually. smile

Martian_mind
Samus comes in and wrecks them both.

or failing that,Link

Harry Fingerman
See?

I knew some dumbass would come along eventually. smile So, u hav proof he dint take dwn Huc?

hes bin fightin stronger opponts 4 years.

Wat duz Mario hav on Huc, Namor, Spiderman, etc?

Odderwize, keep ur wrds 2 urself.

SnazzySmurph
Originally posted by Martian_mind
Samus comes in and wrecks them both.

or failing that,Link SSB Mario > Link

Martian_mind
SSB Mario > Link

pffft,Green hat>Plumber.

SnazzySmurph
pffft,Green hat>Plumber. What about Luigi? none180

Martian_mind
What about Luigi? none180

He's a plumber with a green hta,and since they conflict he is weaker then if he was one or the other smile

SnazzySmurph
He's a plumber with a green hta,and since they conflict he is weaker then if he was one or the other smile Luigi pwns all, 'cept Doc Mario.

Martian_mind
Luigi pwns all, 'cept Doc Mario.

Or Ganandorf or Samus.

SnazzySmurph
Or Ganandorf or Samus. Doc Mario = Ganondorf = Samus.

I may like Meta Knight or Pit... don't know yet.

SnazzySmurph
So, Mario wins... herbeyes

Soljer
If we are going to go about this realistically....Mario really doesn't have many feats to his name in Melee. erm.

If you include his other video games, then he is RIDICULOUSLY strong (enough to pick up a gargantuan bowser and swing him around by his tail) and can jump incredible distances. However, he can also be killed if a little goomba touches him.

So, Cap merely has to touch Mario for the win in that case(twice, if Mario's been on the shrooms lately).

If we want to go by an entirely unrealistic game like melee, then that means Mario can survive, well, literally ANYTHING, as the only way to win in melee is a BFR.

erm. I'm confused about the win conditions. stick out tongue.

SnazzySmurph
If we are going to go about this realistically....Mario really doesn't have many feats to his name in Melee. erm.

If you include his other video games, then he is RIDICULOUSLY strong (enough to pick up a gargantuan bowser and swing him around by his tail) and can jump incredible distances. However, he can also be killed if a little goomba touches him.

So, Cap merely has to touch Mario for the win in that case(twice, if Mario's been on the shrooms lately).

If we want to go by an entirely unrealistic game like melee, then that means Mario can survive, well, literally ANYTHING, as the only way to win in melee is a BFR.

erm. I'm confused about the win conditions. stick out tongue. Yeah... I'm implementing a "No Survival Game Mechanics" rule, because it's absurd that he's invincible until he's dropped off a ledge... it works for the game, not so much here.

I assume he'd have durability equated from percentage (as in, the in-game statistic), converted to damage ratio. Logically, he would now get fatiged and shtuff.

He would also be able to bleed, break bones, etc.

Unless you have a better suggestion?

Soljer
Yeah... I'm implementing a "No Survival Game Mechanics" rule, because it's absurd that he's invincible until he's dropped off a ledge... it works for the game, not so much here.

I assume he'd have durability equated from percentage (as in, the in-game statistic), converted to damage ratio. Logically, he would now get fatiged and shtuff.

He would also be able to bleed, break bones, etc.

Unless you have a better suggestion?

That's the problem - we have no idea his actual damage soak. Based off of Melee, he fights at 100% capability unless you can kick him off a ledge.

Based off his other games, he fights at 100% capability unless he gets touched.

erm.

We have NO way to gauge his actual survivability or endurance. Based off the old cartoons he appeared in, he was simply human. Based off of melee, he could take laser gun to the head at point blank and have nothing happen, he could get donkey-punched (Hee hee) and be alright. He could get stabbed repeatedly with a sword and not miss a beat.

How do we rank his durability/endurance? erm. Just guess? Put it at what a fat italian plumber SHOULD be?

That's one of the problem debating video game characters - in-game capabilities often don't match what SHOULD happen, because if video games were entirely realistic, they'd be no fun and/or impossible. erm.

SnazzySmurph
That's the problem - we have no idea his actual damage soak. Based off of Melee, he fights at 100% capability unless you can kick him off a ledge.

Based off his other games, he fights at 100% capability unless he gets touched.

erm.

We have NO way to gauge his actual survivability or endurance. Based off the old cartoons he appeared in, he was simply human. Based off of melee, he could take laser gun to the head at point blank and have nothing happen, he could get donkey-punched (Hee hee) and be alright. He could get stabbed repeatedly with a sword and not miss a beat.

How do we rank his durability/endurance? erm. Just guess? Put it at what a fat italian plumber SHOULD be?

That's one of the problem debating video game characters - in-game capabilities often don't match what SHOULD happen, because if video games were entirely realistic, they'd be no fun and/or impossible. erm. Well, the alternative would be to apply the same game mechanics to Cap... pinksrug

Soljer
Well, the alternative would be to apply the same game mechanics to Cap... pinksrug

Indeed - but the same game mechanics is a leveller. It makes every character, effectively, equal(more or less, I don't want to get into a discussion about the best Super Smash character).

Thus eliminating the point of debate - it'd be 5/10, or it'd be based off of whoever is controlling it. Games that have no real information to go off of besides the game mechanics are VERY hard to use in a versus match. There are no 'feats' to speak of - unless you use game mechanics feats, which aren't meant to be true to the character. I mean, Mario is an italian plumber, he's SUPPOSED to be a human that can jump really well and get special powers from flowers, shrooms, stars, feathers, et cetera.

He isn't SUPPOSED to be able to survive a punch from a Gorilla that is a hundred times his size - but he can, because of game mechanics. erm.

Eh.

SnazzySmurph
Indeed - but the same game mechanics is a leveller. It makes every character, effectively, equal(more or less, I don't want to get into a discussion about the best Super Smash character).

Thus eliminating the point of debate - it'd be 5/10, or it'd be based off of whoever is controlling it. Games that have no real information to go off of besides the game mechanics are VERY hard to use in a versus match. There are no 'feats' to speak of - unless you use game mechanics feats, which aren't meant to be true to the character. I mean, Mario is an italian plumber, he's SUPPOSED to be a human that can jump really well and get special powers from flowers, shrooms, stars, feathers, et cetera.

He isn't SUPPOSED to be able to survive a punch from a Gorilla that is a hundred times his size - but he can, because of game mechanics. erm.

Eh. You're wrong.

He can because he's a superstar.

Soljer
You're wrong.

He can because he's a superstar.

So, are we going to be serious about this thread, or just treat it like a joke?

I mean, lemme know in advance...

pr1983
no expression

srankmissingnin
Mario = sick

Creshosk
However, he can also be killed if a little goomba touches him. How do you know that's not the power of the goomba?

Technically it was limited by the graphic capabilities of the system. It could have actually bit him and poisoned him for all we know. I mean technically the same thing happens if you touch the poison mushroom in the Real Super Mario Bros. 2

I don't want to get into a discussion about the best Super Smash character. You mean the teirs?

Bowser and pichu were at the botom of the list. shifty

I can actually find the current ones if someone wants. hmm

SnazzySmurph
So, are we going to be serious about this thread, or just treat it like a joke?

I mean, lemme know in advance... Bah. Don't get pissy. I'm responding, just thinking. I just found a computer, and I'm busy... gimme a second.

Oh, and Shrank = sick

Creshosk
Bah. Don't get pissy. I'm responding, just thinking. I just found a computer, and I'm busy... gimme a second.

Oh, and Shrank = sick Don't mind him, he's probably still smarting over Captain America being beaten by Harry Potter.

srankmissingnin
Oh, and Shrank = sick

sad

What do I know about Mario anyway? Seeing as I'm not seven and a half years old and have never received a lobotomy, I'm pretty sure I'm not really Mario's target audience. evil face

Creshosk
Originally posted by srankmissingnin
sad

What do I know about Mario anyway? Seeing as I'm not seven and a half years old and have never received a lobotomy, I'm pretty sure I'm not really Mario's target audience. evil face Guess you also never were 7 or have the memory of a damp sponge. Everything inside it ges away in a couple of minutes. evil face

srankmissingnin
Guess you also never were 7 or have the memory of a damp sponge. Everything inside it ges away in a couple of minutes. evil face

Why would I have played Mario when I was seven? That was back when Sonic games were still good! cool

SnazzySmurph

Eh. This is why I highlighted Survival Game Mechanics specifically. In case I wasn't clear before, I'm talking about what leaves him unable to break bones, bleed, and die without a BFR- if you remove that, then it becomes more debateable. I don't want to adjust physical capabilities (beyond perhaps, durability) for the sake of a match.

Keep in mind I'm talking about Melee version specifically here...

It would seem that nearly all of his physical cababilities can be deduced from melee. Strength, agility, reactions (depending on what level-more on that afterwards). Etc.

The biggest variable is durability. I mean, I assume his bones break as easily as most Cap-ish humans. But, like you said, he can take a full punch from DK and keep fighting. You take away survival game mechanics, and you severley limit that, because now he can have his face cleaved in two. Then you aren't setting up a real match, because you're essentially depowering one character for the sake of a forum match.

As for fighting ability (I saw that mentioned... don't remember if it was here), the easiest route would be to assume, or specify, if it's a Melee character, that they're fighting at Level 9 computer skill.

Eh.

SnazzySmurph
Don't mind him, he's probably still smarting over Captain America being beaten by Harry Potter. So THAT'S what twisted his knickers...

evil faceOriginally posted by srankmissingnin
sad

What do I know about Mario anyway? Seeing as I'm not seven and a half years old and have never received a lobotomy, I'm pretty sure I'm not really Mario's target audience. evil face Don't you debate Ninja Turtles, anime, and Wolverine?

You know what they say about he who lives in a glass house...

srankmissingnin
Don't you debate Ninja Turtles, anime, and Wolverine?

You know what they say about he who lives in a glass house...

All of which contain blood/death/violence and are intended for an "older youth audience". smile

I hope this forum is detracting from your time to play Super Mario Sunshine, Smurph? Lugi! Look out for those spooky ghosts! evil face

Creshosk
Why would I have played Mario when I was seven? That was back when Sonic games were still good! cool Because you didn't need to choose one over the other. confused

Actually Sthe new sonic game for the wii is a disapointment for me.. first Sonic game I played that I didn't like.

So THAT'S what twisted his knickers... Yeah and I had a hand in that with me and my darned physics... X sealed the deal by showing just how far 500 meters is.

evil face Don't you debate Ninja Turtles, anime, and Wolverine?

You know what they say about he who lives in a glass house... Ermm... I like to think I have an open mind...cause I debate those too

SnazzySmurph
All of which contain blood/death/violence and are intended for an "older youth audience". smile

I hope this forum is detracting from your time to play Super Mario Sunshine, Smurph? Lugi! Look out for those spooky ghosts! evil face Lugi? ermm

Yup, this is clearly intended for you R-rated enthusiasts-

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b5/Wolverineandthexmen.jpg

srankmissingnin
Because you didn't need to choose one over the other. confused

Actually Sthe new sonic game for the wii is a disapointment for me.. first Sonic game I played that I didn't like.

Yeah and I had a hand in that with me and my darned physics... X sealed the deal by showing just how far 500 meters is.

Ermm... I like to think I have an open mind...cause I debate those too

I never really played games like Mario or Sonic, I thought they were too kiddy even when I was a kid.

First Sonic game you didn't like? Did you play that Shadow the Hedgehog game?

I'm not upset about the Harry vs Captain America thing... more like worried that I'm almost 21 and have no concept of distance. sad

SnazzySmurph
Ermm... I like to think I have an open mind...cause I debate those too I'm not making fun of it... just saying it's not that much of a step up.

srankmissingnin
Lugi? ermm

Yup, this is clearly intended for you R-rated enthusiasts-

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b5/Wolverineandthexmen.jpg

Pft, through an other 'i' in there. wink

Whos to say I'm even going to watch that new cartoon when it comes out? I love GI Joe but I never watched that last cartoon that came out because it looked stupid...

shifty

Okay... I'm probably going to watch that cartoon when it comes out.... and I'll likely eat some cereal while I watch it embarrasment

Creshosk
I never really played games like Mario or Sonic, I thought they were too kiddy even when I was a kid. I've never worried about "target audience" You should like what you like because you enjoy it. Which is why I've always had a wide range of games I like to play. Be it games like Mario or Sonic or ones more like the Silent Hill or Tenchu series.

First Sonic game you didn't like? Did you play that Shadow the Hedgehog game? Never got around to playing that one. *srugs* It's a bit of a loophole but meh.

I'm not upset about the Harry vs Captain America thing... more like worried that I'm almost 21 and have no concept of distance. sad Ah. It was a simple mistake really. No harm no foul.

srankmissingnin
I've never worried about "target audience" You should like what you like because you enjoy it. Which is why I've always had a wide range of games I like to play. Be it games like Mario or Sonic or ones more like the Silent Hill or Tenchu series.

Personal preference I guess. I've never had fun playing a flight simulator and I never will, same goes for Mario. The best reason I can give for not liking Mario though, is because the games aren't intended for me. The character/level designs, the game mechanics, the difficulty level are all pretty "off" for me. I'll stick with Jak and Daxter/Rachet and Clank over Mario any day of the week. Mario just doesn't offer what I'm looking for in a game. It's too casual to appeal to the hardcore gamers.

Count yourself lucky. Shadow the Hedgehog sucked hard.

SnazzySmurph
I never really played games like Sonic, I thought they were too kiddy Originally posted by srankmissingnin
Shadow the Hedgehog sucked hard. ermmnone

Creshosk
It's too casual to appeal to the hardcore gamers. You see I'm not sure I like that remark. I consider myself a hardcore gamer. I don't get into console wars and I play a wide selection of games. I even find obscure games and play those Like Magical Pengel and Stretch Panic.

Practically everygame apppeals to me. Am I not a hardcore gamer because I like games that they don't?

srankmissingnin
You see I'm not sure I like that remark. I consider myself a hardcore gamer. I don't get into console wars and I play a wide selection of games. I even find obscure games and play those Like Magical Pengel and Stretch Panic.

Practically everygame apppeals to me. Am I not a hardcore gamer because I like games that they don't?

Law of averages. Some hardcore gamers are bound to like Mario, most wont because the game isn't made with them in mind.

srankmissingnin
ermmnone

If things sucking or me not liking them was enough to deter me, I imagine I would have stopped reading Wolverine: Origins months ago. sad

I try to play pretty much ever game that comes out at least once... well... thats not true but I do rent alot of games. Espcially ones I intend to talk shit about in the future. big grin

Creshosk
If things sucking or me not liking them was enough to deter me, I imagine I would have stopped reading Wolverine: Origins months ago. sad

I try to play pretty much ever game that comes out at least once... well... thats not true but I do rent alot of games. Espcially ones I intend to talk shit about in the future. big grin Well I think he was referencing you saying you didn't play the sonic games with you talking about a sonic game you played... To illustrate the point better I would have used these quotes together:

That was back when Sonic games were still good! cool

I never really played games like Sonic, I thought they were too kiddy

srankmissingnin
Well I think he was referencing you saying you didn't play the sonic games with you talking about a sonic game you played... To illustrate the point better I would have used these quotes together:

I said I never "really" played them, not I never played them at all. What I meant was I didn't play them that often, preferring to play other games.

Creshosk
I said I never "really" played them, not I never played them at all. What I meant was I didn't play them that often, preferring to play other games. That's what I figured.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.