Wolverine vs The AIDS virus

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Entity
Seriously don't close this. I am actually wanting to have a discussion about this because a friend of mine and me kind of accidental brought it up last night.

How would this effect Wolverine seeing as it would attack his very immune system and use it against him? I mean with his healing factor it could be argued that it either is held back idol or killed out altogether or that is would be accelerated by his enhanced T cells.

Discuss. confused

Endless Mike
If he can grow back from being a skeleton, then his immune system is so far removed from anything human that it likely wouldn't affect him at all.

Expletive!!!
Originally posted by Endless Mike
If he can grow back from being a skeleton, then his immune system is so far removed from anything human that it likely wouldn't affect him at all.

Exactly, if he can overcome Alien Parasites, Brood Eggs etc. He wouldn't be affected at all. Good post.

Faceman
Didn't Midnighter overcome the virus like in 6 weeks ???

ragesRemorse
wolverines healing factor regenerates decintegrating flesh, so i would have to believe that a virus wouldnt even have time to incubate in wolverine's system before his healing factor took effect on it.

Even if he were able to contract it, he wouldnt have any physical effects from it, His body would heal any effect the virus had on him. So he would essentially just be a carrier for the virus but not be victim to any of its effects

Soljer
Originally posted by Faceman
Didn't Midnighter overcome the virus like in 6 weeks ???

Indeed.

King Kandy
Now on the other hand Cancer would give him lots of trouble.

Swanky-Tuna
That would certainly put a cork in his trolling for underage girls.

And maybe produce an awkward conversation with Sabretooth.

S: I'll kill you this time, Wolverine, or whatever I usually say!
W: Creed, I have aids.
S: Oh my god...
W: I think you should get yourself tested.
S: ...
W: From all our bloody battles, you perverts! Also you may of purposely drunken some of my blood. I don't know, maybe not but it seems like something you might of done, I don't even read Wolverine comics.

srankmissingnin
Mutants can't get aids. Angel said it once.

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by King Kandy

how so? If his body can instantly regenerate dead and seared off flesh, why couldnt it regenerate deteriorating cells and organs?

Expletive!!!

I don't think so, as "abnormal accelerated growth of immortal cells", basic definition of cancer, seems impossible given wolverines cells ability to return to a default level after regeneration

Soljer
Originally posted by srankmissingnin

Is that a homophobe joke about angel, or...did he actually say that?

llagrok
Mutants can't get aids.

srankmissingnin
Originally posted by Soljer
Is that a homophobe joke about angel, or...did he actually say that?

He (or someone at least; I don't remember who) said it. There was a big huff about it on CBR forums a few years ago.

llagrok
It has been mentioned many times that mutants can't have aids.

A lot of people referred to the legacy virus as the "Mutant aids"

guy222
Originally posted by Entity
Seriously don't close this. I am actually wanting to have a discussion about this because a friend of mine and me kind of accidental brought it up last night.

How would this effect Wolverine seeing as it would attack his very immune system and use it against him? I mean with his healing factor it could be argued that it either is held back idol or killed out altogether or that is would be accelerated by his enhanced T cells.

Discuss. confused

healing factor

Swanky-Tuna
Originally posted by Expletive!!!
I don't think so, as "abnormal accelerated growth of immortal cells", basic definition of cancer, seems impossible given wolverines cells ability to return to a default level after regeneration
Maybe they're hardcoded to stop at a certain point, making his healing factor safe. Perhaps cancer would remove that shut-off point.

Either way, nothing sounds good about having double cancer.

illadelph12
Come on man...

Entity
Originally posted by illadelph12
Come on man... What? confused

Honestly this isn't anything homophobic or related to the character for negative reasons. I just got to talking to a friend about this the other day and it came up. So I thought it would make for interesting discussion seeing as how the AIDS virus turns you own immune system againist you.

And it could inspire more conversations about how he should react to different deseases.

illadelph12
Ok. I'm not closing this, it's just that this is a sensitive/hot bed issue that some people may take issue with (AIDS).

So long as I don't get any complaints and it's kept clean.

Grinning Goku
Holy shit! When did you become a mod?

Sundipped
The virus is destroyed as soon as it enters his bloodstream.

Entity
Originally posted by illadelph12
Ok. I'm not closing this, it's just that this is a sensitive/hot bed issue that some people may take issue with (AIDS).

So long as I don't get any complaints and it's kept clean. Yea thats something that almost made me not post it at all but I was really curious and as long as people are adults. I think it would be an interesting conversation.

Entity
Any other opinions?

joesdabest1
AIDS ftw

DARKLORDCAEDUS
Howlett in all seriousness would survive.

id369

lando005

grey fox
Originally posted by lando005
i don't know about bragging about it. You may have the healing factor but it would still be mighty tough to convince people otherwise

"Yeah , see that Bi*ch dying on the bed over there , well I screwed her five months ago man , and damn was it ever sweet ! "

"But- she has aids ? "

"Healing Factor Bub "

"I dont think-"

"HEALING FACTOR BUB !!! "

Zebedee
This thread no expression

Hitman911
you should have said Ebola
Ebola>>>>>>AIDS

srankmissingnin
Originally posted by Hitman911
you should have said Ebola
Ebola>>>>>>AIDS

Wolverine has already dealt with the Ebola virus, he has never contracted aids though.

Soljer
Wolverine has already dealt with the Ebola virus, he has never contracted aids though.

That we know of.

He could have contracted it from one of his sexual encounters or many bloody fights - and never even realize it.

Symmetric Chaos
Wouldn't Lupus be funnier worse?

Validus
Originally posted by joesdabest1
AIDS ftw
haermm

srankmissingnin
That we know of.

He could have contracted it from one of his sexual encounters or many bloody fights - and never even realize it.

Yes but the fact that we don't know if he has or not, is what makes the subject matter debatable. Wolverine's healing factor has dealt with the ebola virus though so we can't debate whether or not he could survive it because he already has.

Soljer
Technically, this topic is misnamed.

HIV is the virus - and it isn't the HIV virus - just HIV. Or the HI Virus if you must.

AIDS is the name of the syndrome CAUSED by HIV.

So, to be fighting AIDS in the first place, Wolverine would have to lose to HIV....

Symmetric Chaos

HIV is the virus - and it isn't the HIV virus - just HIV. Or the HI Virus if you must.

So, to be fighting AIDS in the first place, Wolverine would have to lose to HIV....

Very nice.

Validus

Reported.

Soljer
Originally posted by Validus
Reported.

What the f**k??

laughing.

Galan007
Around 700 years ago, real life human beings devoloped a natural immunity to "The Black Plague".

This same mutation, subsequently gives their decendants immunity to the HIV/AIDS viruses of nowadays. .... Not kidding..

So if actual human beings can be immune to HIV/AIDS, then I see no reason why Wolvie couldn't beat it. ermm

lordboo
Originally posted by Galan007
Around 700 years ago, real life human beings devoloped a natural immunity to "The Black Plague".

This same mutation, subsequently gives their decendants immunity to the HIV/AIDS viruses of nowadays. .... Not kidding..

So if actual human beings can be immune to HIV/AIDS, then I see no reason why Wolvie couldn't beat it. ermm

sort of like how a vaccination shot works,but on a much larger scale then?

Galan007
Originally posted by lordboo
sort of like how a vaccination shot works,but on a much larger scale then? Except Delta 32 completely blocks HIV/AIDS, , giving you 100% immunity.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by lordboo
sort of like how a vaccination shot works,but on a much larger scale then?

Not really.

Vaccination infects you with a weak or dead version. Natural immunity like that means you can fight it off the moment of infection because of the way your body functions.

Entity
Well I chose AIDs as appose to Ebola or such because of the nature of AIDs. Its turns your own immune system against you.

Therefore it could be argued that it would be a far worse disease for Logan due to his enhanced healing factor. Perhaps using its accelerated abilities to enhance the virus in the T cells as sort of an Achilles heal for Logan.

That was my possible thoughts on it anyway and the reason I made this thread.

Soljer
Originally posted by Entity
Well I chose AIDs as appose to Ebola or such because of the nature of AIDs. Its turns your own immune system against you.

Therefore it could be argued that it would be a far worse disease for Logan due to his enhanced healing factor. Perhaps using its accelerated abilities to enhance the virus in the T cells as sort of an Achilles heal for Logan.

That was my possible thoughts on it anyway and the reason I made this thread.

Not true. HIV destroys the immune system, but it isn't an auto immune disorder ( the type that actually turns your immune system against itself).

Grimm22

Actually Cancer could kill Wolverine no expression

With cancer the body isn't even aware it's under attack because cancer is simply mutated cells.

Although I guess he could get massive kemo and survive THAT, but if left untreated he could die from it

Grimm22
Originally posted by Galan007

Some people simply are immune to it for no real reason. Random Genitics erm

Soljer
Originally posted by Grimm22

With cancer the body isn't even aware it's under attack because cancer is simply mutated cells.

Although I guess he could get massive kemo and survive THAT, but if left untreated he could die from it

Funny, I could have SWORN that Deadpool's healing factor suppressed cancer...

Creshosk
Originally posted by Grimm22

Although I guess he could get massive kemo and survive THAT, but if left untreated he could die from it Which is why he smokes like a chimney and never got cancer?

Evil_Ash

Damn muties.

grey fox
Originally posted by Evil_Ash
Damn muties.

My sentiments exactly.

Swanky-Tuna
Funny, I could have SWORN that Deadpool's healing factor suppressed cancer...
I thought his healing factor merged with his cancer or something, making his "default" state to which he heals to all cancerous looking.

llagrok
During Chuck Austen's run, Husk mentions that mutants can't get aids.

Until I fetch the comic

Soljer
Originally posted by Swanky-Tuna
I thought his healing factor merged with his cancer or something, making his "default" state to which he heals to all cancerous looking.
Nah, it actually keeps his cancer in remission. The combination may lead to his deformed state, but;

"Deadpool has been artificially endowed with a superhuman regenerative healing factor by the Weapon X program. As Deadpool had cancer at the time of the gene therapy which endowed him with these abilities, it has been suppressed by the "healing factor", which instead perpetually regenerates every cell in Deadpool's body, continually healing him to keep the cancer at bay and therefore further mangling his already cancer-ravaged appearance."

endrict
If the Brood couldn't turned Logan, probably any earth bound disease can't.

Swanky-Tuna
Nah, it actually keeps his cancer in remission. The combination may lead to his deformed state, but;

"Deadpool has been artificially endowed with a superhuman regenerative healing factor by the Weapon X program. As Deadpool had cancer at the time of the gene therapy which endowed him with these abilities, it has been suppressed by the "healing factor", which instead perpetually regenerates every cell in Deadpool's body, continually healing him to keep the cancer at bay and therefore further mangling his already cancer-ravaged appearance."
I don't trust wikipedia as far as I can throw it. Even though I read it a bunch.

Soljer
Originally posted by Swanky-Tuna
I don't trust wikipedia as far as I can throw it. Even though I read it a bunch.

Meh, maybe not.

But in this particular case, it's wholely accurate.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.