Terran Marine vs USNC Spartan

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Longinus
I don't think this has been done but after just watching the cinematic trailer from SC2 for the first time (yea, I know I'm late) I thought the design of the Terran marine was really unique and cool. Like the fact the armor seemed to be fused/grafted to the soldiers body. Anyway I thought it'd be intresting to see a Terran Marine vs a random USNC Spartan and make a good matchup.

Battle takes place on a desolate desert world filled with destroyed monuments of a lost civilization, so the fighters have plenty of cover. Both opponets are highly trained, the Terran Marine being a former dysfunctional soldier turned mass murderer turned elite Terran Marine and he's pist. The USNC Spartan is a child born soldier and has been trained extensively in various forms of killing since birth.
Weapon Loadout is each opponet is given their respective universes form of a assault rifle and a small side arm and four grenades. No vehicles, no interference and no shields.

Which of these badasses take this?

DarkC
The Marines are not particularly renowned for their stealth. They outgun the SPARTAN-II (It's a II-series, right?) a ratio of about three to one, in a direct open firefight the SPARTAN-II loses.

Marines, to the best of my knowledge, do not have a HUD feature that detects where opponents are that they cannot see, whereas the Spartan has a motion detector.

The Spartan will have to rely on quickness and subtlety to get the chance for an opportunity shot or a grenade plant in order to win, while the Marine needs to keep track of his opponent to win.

BlaxicanHydra
Wow, interesting. The Marines assault rifles are actually supposed to be really, really powerful. Also there suits enhance there speed, durability, and strength.

SPARTANS are more maneuverable, though. The SPARTAN wins using tactics and his maneuverability 6/10.

Longinus
So can we agree that this is a close fight?

Superboy Prime
Both will have to work hard for their wins.

OMG-Toothpaste
It all depends on where they fight.

If it was an open battlefield with little cover, the Marine would win because he is more powerful, and for some reason they are starting to resemble space marines from Warhammer 40K.

But if they were in a semi-crowded area the Spartan would probably win because of his stealth and manuverability.

so ya this is a pretty close fight...

Burning thought
the terran marine does have a HUD but its effectiveness at detecting or finding targets i do not know of so id have to agree

open terriotory without many hiding places the terran wins and the spartan would win if it was a area built for stealth

Longinus
Well the battlefield is both desolate and has areas where the opponets can hide. There are places in the playing field for both parties to take advantage of.

DarkC
Personally I think Spartans are stronger than Marines despite the CMC suits, with their MJOLNIR they can flip tanks (66 tons). Marines are somewhat faster and far more durable in their suits, but so far to date they haven't regularly shown feats of remarkable strength yet.

If the Spartan gets within very close range, they'd probably win in melee.

BlaxicanHydra
I agree. A SPARTAN is basically just a souped up Marine.

Kupo_Avalanche
well if this is a highly trained marine as you say, he could simply stimpack at any time anyway increasing both his speed, and awareness. You all make the marine out to be this bulky sluggish character when your camparing him to things such as zerglings ( 4-legged creatures who would of course be fater). What you need to realize is that the marines are afforded full life-support, NBC shielding, and in-field chemical delivery systems. The standard-issue C-14 "Impaler" Gauss Rifle provides even a single soldier with extreme firepower. While the Spartans, almost extinct, are no more than genetically altered people. Most did not even survive wearing the armor, you need to be very specific about which group this spartan even came from, both spartan I and II only had 150 total, and spartan three only had 1200 total. Most members have been killed at this point so the specifics make a difference.

DarkC
The thing about the Stimpack is, Kupo, it's very painful to use in the first place and even has the potential to kill. The Marine cannot use it indefinitely. It was described in Shadow of the Xel'Naga that a highly trained ghost (Golding) considered Stimpacks to be very painful, he was sprinting all out on two dosages and they, despite being exceedingly excrutiating, were "within the limit that his tortured body had endured" throughout his training.

Also, when a stimpack is used it, marines lose much of their autonomy and so cannot actively reason or think, other than to follow orders and directions. (Liberty's Crusade novel, by Jeff Grubb) They're physically more effective temporarily but they also lose the ability to think for themselves, a very dangerous thing to do when on their own.

Longinus
well it's not like the Terran has team mates in this encounter/match so...?

Superboy Prime
I take back what I said. This is a curbstomp.

Just watch and behold:

http://www.encyclopediadramatica.com/images/a/a3/SPARTALOG.gif

BlaxicanHydra
The puberty thread has been updated 131

OMG-Toothpaste
Originally posted by Kupo_Avalanche
While the Spartans, almost extinct....

actually the spartans are not at all close to extinction, due to Halo Wars,
where a fair amount of the human forces is spartans.

And on technical terms, for every player on Halo 1-3 who uses the Spartan-II armor, there is one more spartan...
But this is only on technical terms...

Longinus
Originally posted by OMG-Toothpaste
actually the spartans are not at all close to extinction, due to Halo Wars,
where a fair amount of the human forces is spartans.

And on technical terms, for every player on Halo 1-3 who uses the Spartan-II armor, there is one more spartan...
But this is only on technical terms...

I think Halo wars takes place at the actual beginning of the Halo series, marking the first time the UNSC encoutered the covenant, explains why the elites are still with the covenant and there are lots of spartans.

Superboy Prime
It's obvious we're going to pit the marine against a decent spartan unless you want the marine to fight a comatose soldier, eh?

whsskdhkf
Unlike SPARTANs, Terran marine's strength does not come from individual's traits nor does it come from their high tech gadgets. Marines are psycologically re socialized convicts. Therefore they're stupid as hell. Their strength comes from superior number, ability to rapid and stim packs which makes them very mobile. Thus Terran marines can be more maneuravle than SPARTANs are depending on the situation. Also medics enable marines to take heavy fire without any shields. If it were one on one battle, surely SPARTANs would win. However, Terran marines have upper hand in heavy battles

Csdabest
Originally posted by Superboy Prime
It's obvious we're going to pit the marine against a decent spartan unless you want the marine to fight a comatose soldier, eh?
Well i dont know. A Spartan did continue fighting for eight mins after it flatlined

Blax_Hydralisk
By the way the whole theory behind Spartans being super uber strong 66 ton lifting supersoldiers has been debunked.

DarkC
Originally posted by Blax_Hydralisk
By the way the whole theory behind Spartans being super uber strong 66 ton lifting supersoldiers has been debunked.
Explain.

Blax_Hydralisk
If I did..

would this possibly lead to a debate?

DarkC
Originally posted by Blax_Hydralisk
If I did..

would this possibly lead to a debate?
I dunno?

Blax_Hydralisk
Well my manly ego is much too large for me to risk debating against yo uand possibly getting crushed.

So I'd rather not.

And I didn't mean "officialy debunked", rather, I've been a long time believer in the Chief's super strength, but after seeing some things in the game itself, I'm disinclined to believe that he can really lift jeeps.

DarkC
Well there is a pretty thin line between your personal opinion and what's actually "official" (as stated by Bungie or a representative) so you have to be careful what you say.

Care to elaborate further?

Csdabest
Basicly speaking The game reduces Cheifs and everything elses power and abilities to balance the game. The book is real cannon to the abilities.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.