GoldenEye 10 years Anniversary!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Morridini
So today, the 25th of August 2007 it is exactly 10 years since James Bond GoldenEye for the Nintendo 64 was released.

I can hardly believe it has gone 10 years already. This is without doubt one of the best games I have ever played, truly a landmark withing FPS games for consoles.

Just looking at random pictures bring up so many memories.

Cover:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/36/GoldenEye007box.jpg

Opening shot:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/c/c9/N64_GoldenEye.jpg/800px-N64_GoldenEye.jpg

One of the best levels:
http://www.thekearneys.co.uk/gold.JPG
How I loved the Facility level.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this? 10 whole years already gone by.

AstroFan
Man, you got me all excited, I thought they announced a rerelease or something. no expression

MadMel
yea same laughing out loud
this game was total ownage big grin

AstroFan
We need like a classic games thread, were we can talk about old games for no reason. lol

MadMel
laughing out loud good idea...should talk to lana

Morridini
Originally posted by AstroFan
Man, you got me all excited, I thought they announced a rerelease or something. no expression

Aww sorry about that. Thought the title was obvious enough.

Anyhow, we could hope that Nintendo decides to celebrate this by putting this game on the Virtual console.

MadMel
even better
its likely that if they remade this, it would suck laughing out loud

AstroFan
Im hoping it would be come out on Xbox Arcade with Live support. stick out tongue

But there are too many licenses to worry about, but I would gladly take Perfect Dark instead. big grin

JToTheP
Dammit! I thought they announced it was going on Virtual Console! Shit!

Morridini
Someone should make a petition.

SaTsuJiN
lol.. played this game soooo often on 4 player deathmatch

Ridley_Prime
Ah yes. The golden days of video gaming. Speaking of which...

tyBSU60ZOqk

Originally posted by Morridini
Someone should make a petition.
Uh, they can't. Goldeneye's made by Rare, which is a part of Microsoft now, not Nintendo.

JToTheP
Rare is STILL with Microsoft even after that shitty Perfect Dark prequel? There really is no gaming justice anymore.

Ridley_Prime
Originally posted by JToTheP
Rare is STILL with Microsoft even after that shitty Perfect Dark prequel? There really is no gaming justice anymore.
Yeah sad...

Morridini
But does that even matter?
It was made for Nintendo, it is a Nintendo game. How come Rare Ware games like Donkey Kong Country gets to be released on VC and not their other games?

Smasandian
If I'm not mistaken, Rare owns the rights to thier properties and just them so if Nintendo is going to release a game on VC, they would have to pay Rare to let them do that.

It will happen eventually, but it hasnt been done yet.

But it's definitly not an Nintendo game, its an Rare game that was released on an Nintendo console. Rare can do whatever they want with it.

Donkey Kong Country on the other hand is an Nintendo property, not Rares. I'm not sure but Rare was just licensed, or contracted to make the game Donkey Kong Country but doesnt own the rights the IP.

AstroFan
Plus Activision owns the Bond license, so that adds another obstacle for either system. lol

BackFire
Goldeneye on Xbox Live Arcade! Go go!

BlaxicanHydra
Nah. Goldeneye belongs on a Nintendo system/

BackFire
It already is on one. Rare owns the rights, MS owns rare. It's going to have to be on Xbox Live.

Plus think, online multiplayer matches, would be awesome.

Morridini
I don't care who get's it. Wii VC or X-box Live Arcade (am a Wii60 owner), as long as I can sit down and play GoldenEye again!

BlaxicanHydra
Originally posted by BackFire
It already is on one. Rare owns the rights, MS owns rare. It's going to have to be on Xbox Live.

Plus think, online multiplayer matches, would be awesome.

Wii has online too. And so far I enjoy shooting games with the Wii compared to shooting games on the 360. But I guess ti doesn't really matter, as I too am I Wii60 owner.

AstroFan
Yeah, but it wont be online for Wii. Nintendo wants every VC game to be exactly as it was when it was released.

So unless you really want to gather 4 guys for split screen, id say hope for XBL. lol

Morridini
I wouldn't mind online-multiplayer, however I don't want them to change the game in any way. Maybe add more levels somehow/multiplayer maps, but I wanna be able to play through a 100% replica of N64 GoldenEye.

BackFire
Originally posted by BlaxicanHydra
Wii has online too. And so far I enjoy shooting games with the Wii compared to shooting games on the 360. But I guess ti doesn't really matter, as I too am I Wii60 owner.

Online for Wii is much inferior to Live. Plus you wouldn't be controling the game with the wiimote. They wouldn't make it like metroid prime or anything.

MadMel
not the VC version, but if they remade it on multiplatform shifty

Smasandian
Originally posted by BackFire
Online for Wii is much inferior to Live. Plus you wouldn't be controling the game with the wiimote. They wouldn't make it like metroid prime or anything.

They could use classic controller with its analog. It would be wierd though because it obviously has to be changed for the Wii.

How would they do that? Would they include dual support and be like any other shooter, or would Goldeneye be like old Goldeneye with only 1 controller and those three c buttons?

Alpha Centauri
Still better than many, or all, first person shooters today, in my opinion.

Bioshock is the first in a long time that I personally feel is doing anything like that game, or Perfect Dark, did.

-AC

Smasandian
Really?

I love Bioshock, but I wouldnt call it extremely innovating as Goldeneye was.

Alpha Centauri
I would.

-AC

BackFire
Bioshock is very innovative, both in gameplay terms and in narrative. Having choices genuinely effect the outcome may not be new, but few games have done it as well as Bioshock has, if any.

JToTheP
Dammit, I just want Jet Force Gemini, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, and maybe Donkey Kong 64 on VC. I don't care about Banjo-Kazooie dammit!

Morridini
Shame on you!!!

Banjo Kazooie was a great game.

Jet Force Gemini on the other hand isn't important.

As for DK 64, the DK licence is still Nintendos and might show up.

JToTheP
Jet Force Gemini is very important, Banjo Kazooie just wishes it was Mario 64 that's all.

Where the hell else do you get to use a rocket launcher with a dog?

Morridini
Where else can you make a bear ride on a bird and make it fart eggs at enemies?

Lana
Goldeneye ****ing rocks. And always will.

Alpha Centauri
Banjo Kazooie was one of the best games of its time.

-AC

Superboy Prime
I love this game. Loved it back then and I still love it. If only they released an arcade version of it...but I guess it would be too big.

Originally posted by JToTheP

Huh? If anything Microsoft should get rid of Rare. Microsoft was not making the game or anything. They just bought the company.

SaTsuJiN
only halo 1 came close to providing me with the fun I had playing goldeneye and perfect dark

Superboy Prime
Agreed.

Although I am a bigger Halo lunatic I agree with your statement. Halo reminded me of Goldeneye for some reason.

It just felt like a step in the right direction.

BTW...have you played Bioshock yet? droolio

Smasandian
Why should MS sell Rare?

Even though Perfect Dark Zero wasnt as good as the original, it still wasnt bad. So they have done one mediocre game that sold pretty damn well. Kameo, on the otherhand I havnt played, but I still thought that did alright.

Morridini
How come Rare is so darned slow now that they are at MS?
Other then Viva Pinata, and Kameo they haven't done anything since Perfect Dark 0. (other then remake of Conkers Bad Fur day on the X-box tho)

SaTsuJiN
is rare going under or something?

MadMel
its called microsoft erm

((The_Anomaly))
I haven't read anything in this thread, I didn't even look at the first page. I'd just like to say that Goldeneye was megapwnage back in the day. That is all.

AstroFan
Other then Viva Pinata, and Kameo they haven't done anything since Perfect Dark 0. (other then remake of Conkers Bad Fur day on the X-box tho)

They are doing Banjo right now.

Morridini
Haven't they been "doing" Banjo for many many years now? Without ever getting closer to release.

Originally posted by ((The_Anomaly))
I haven't read anything in this thread, I didn't even look at the first page. I'd just like to say that Goldeneye was megapwnage back in the day. That is all.

Shame, read the first page!

Smasandian
Three games released on the 360, with another one coming out in the next year or so. That's not that bad.

I was under the impression that Rare wasnt an huge development firm so when they got bought out by MS, they had to changed all the code for PDZ and Kameo to the XBOX, and then well, the XBOX 360 (which in my opinion was released too early) came along and they just decided to put it over to the 360, which took more time.

SaTsuJiN
they should just do goldeneye and perfect dark remakes... since they went out of their way for conker

Morridini
Originally posted by SaTsuJiN
they should just do goldeneye and perfect dark remakes... since they went out of their way for conker

That would be 50-50 between biggest disaster in gaming industry or biggest success in the gaming industry.

But let's think of what they could they add to GoldenEye.
Obviously smarter AI and better graphics. But with the modern 360 there is a lot more a player can physically do. Firstly I guess they would add all the extra stuff they had in Perfect Dark, like hitting with your gun etc. But what else?

Smasandian
It would be interesting.

The already remade Perfect Dar, or kinda of remade with Zero.

Morridini
Can't in any way be called a remake.
It was a prequel game, set many many years before PD.

Smasandian
I know, but it is basically Perfect Dark.

I wouldnt call it a remake, but more of an semi remake. It's the same game as Perfect Dark but with a different story.

SaTsuJiN
That would be 50-50 between biggest disaster in gaming industry or biggest success in the gaming industry.

But let's think of what they could they add to GoldenEye.
Obviously smarter AI and better graphics. But with the modern 360 there is a lot more a player can physically do. Firstly I guess they would add all the extra stuff they had in Perfect Dark, like hitting with your gun etc. But what else?

they could try adding alternate fire modes.. and adding physics to the environment (I think a graphical overhaul is given).. maybe some map interactivity (like half life or unreal tournament... if someone goes in a chemical room and you're near the control station you could cause a breach and kill them from the toxins) /shrug... plus there are so many possibilities for gadgets.. being an agent and all

I liked messing around with the doors the most... like run through a door and then shut it behind me without turning around to piss off my friend who's trying to kill me

Morridini
Some of the charm of GoldenEye is that it is so intuitive so that it's not hard to get into, a re-make shouldn't add too many things, or else it will be like most FPS' these days.

SaTsuJiN
true.. not to mention doing those missions on 007 back in the day was sure to give me a few pre-mature grey hairs messed

Discos
brilliant game, when I was just turning into a teenager we had this out at the golf course, everybody played the game round the clock. On Multiplayer I ranked 3rd out of everybody, I couldnt compete with the other 2.

Ahh! This game was just amazing. Fav character is always gonna be 006, Alec! favourite level would be....Bunker 2 or the Dam.

Haha, the soundtrack whilst doing missions is something else,

Victor Von Doom

They've always been really slow. The Perfect Dark sequel was originally going to be on the N64.

Smasandian
And featuring kids.

Morridini
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
They've always been really slow. The Perfect Dark sequel was originally going to be on the N64.

Yeah but they used to be faster, faster then very slow is still slow.

SaTsuJiN
lol how are they making money by releasing like 1 game every 2 years

Smasandian
Mostly every developer that isnt huge like EA, or Ubisoft release a project every two years.

How does Valve make its money when they've released 2 and a half games since 1996-97. Yeah, they've released retail projects like CS, DOD, but they were also free mods at the same time.

What about Irrational Games (oopps, I meant 2k Boston/Australia), they just released Bioshock.

They do make money. Rare is also owned by MS, so MS is making the money, well Rare, I assume gets a certian percentage of the sales, and the money they got from the buyout.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.