The Golden Compass

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Onitsu
I was a fan of the book WAY before the movie was a twinkle in any director's eye.

The story was compelling, I couldn't put the book down. And it even had an introduction from Terry Brooks whom did the Shanara series.

Here's part of what he said about The Golden Compass in the Introduction:

"It is an epic fantasy story in the tradition of such great writers as Lloyd Alexander, Madeleine L'Engle, C.S. Lewis, James Barrie, L. Frank Baum, and, of course J.R.R Tolkien. It sweeps and resounds. It introduces terrific characters of complexity and passion, characters you will care about deeply. It takes you to wondrous new places that are somehow just as familiar enough that you think you might find your way there if you could just puzzle out the directions. It gives you a story line that keeps you turning the pages because you just can't put it down until you find out what happens."

Now, I have seen the trailers. It seems promising but then again a lot of movies have looked promising in the trailers but then they turned out to be a big pile of crap that they just wanna keep shoving into our facespooface with shameless plugs and trailers making it STILL look cool.

Tell me what you all might think about this new movie. Have you ever heard of it even? Read the book? dance

exanda kane
It's not that good nor is it in the league of C.S Lewis or Tolkien.

miss_swann
The book is truly amazing, but I won't go and see the film. It can never live up to my imagination.

Admiral Akbar
The first minute of the trailer looked promising, but afterwards I lost interest.

sithsaber408
Originally posted by exanda kane
It's not that good nor is it in the league of C.S Lewis or Tolkien.

QFT.

Plus, the athiest author has said: "My books are about killing God."

And in the final chapter the little boy and girl, representing Adam and Eve in a way, actually go up to the mountain top and KILL GOD, who is depicted as an old white haired fool, and when he's dead everything is better.

So, not really my cup of tea. stick out tongue

=Tired Hiker=
My friend Tyler Fuqua, The Fook, told me that it's a great book, so I plan on buying it and reading it before the movie comes out. Only problem is that I don't have much reading time anymore... but anyway, I saw a super long ass trailer for it when I rented Ocean's 13. It looks like it will be a really good movie.

exanda kane
The film might be entertaining.

In America, it seems, the "anti-religous" sentiment is too much. In the UK, the "anti-religous" sentiment is diluted, according to Daniel Craig. (I'm not gonna call him Bond, because he has done much finer work than that during his career and doesn't he know it)

I'm still not a fan of Phillip Pullman. He writes stories about goblins dragons (well, armoured bears) and doesn't care that his "anti-religious"* works are being read by children. How can you expect children to grow if you just feed them fantastical bollocks with no moral heart.

*Too much there to be discussed, but anti-religious is a blanket term.

JediSamuraiMRB
Saw this last night. I've always liked Nicole Kidman and she plays a good villain, however the film itself wasn't good.

SelphieT
I saw the trailer for it, and I only liked the trailer, because they played Mars The Bringer Of War in the background.....ermm

chillmeistergen
I've read the book, and to be honest thought it was pretty poor. The movie looks poor as well.

SnakeEyes
I have 3 free tickets so I suppose I'll go see it.

Not expecting much though.

Faith27
Who's the antagonist on this movie??is it Nicole Kidman???

ragesRemorse
I enjoyed his dark materials. The movie is disappointing. Not because its a poor adaptation, but because its just bad

Lana
I'm still not a fan of Phillip Pullman. He writes stories about goblins dragons (well, armoured bears) and doesn't care that his "anti-religious"* works are being read by children. How can you expect children to grow if you just feed them fantastical bollocks with no moral heart.

*Too much there to be discussed, but anti-religious is a blanket term.

Um. Religion is not the only source of morality. And I wouldn't say that the books have "no moral heart".

exanda kane
Originally posted by Lana
Um. Religion is not the only source of morality. And I wouldn't say that the books have "no moral heart".

You haven't thought that through.

And no, the books do not have a "moral heart." Pullman has already said he despises Inkling literature, so what use does he have for its values in his writing? He thinks he's a disciple of Blake or Milton, but yet again, he forgets the very message of those writers and decides to write fantastical fiction which creates "men without chests." He writes against organised religion, which is all well and good, but at the same time forgets to write why people have faith in the first place. Plus, the guy is just an arsehole in the first place.

Sorry, but it's simply not up for debate.

cranston36

SnakeEyes
All this controversy about the film just reminds me how dumb people are. Really, there should be none.

cranston36
Why should there be 'none'?

Syren
You haven't thought that through.

And no, the books do not have a "moral heart." Pullman has already said he despises Inkling literature, so what use does he have for its values in his writing? He thinks he's a disciple of Blake or Milton, but yet again, he forgets the very message of those writers and decides to write fantastical fiction which creates "men without chests." He writes against organised religion, which is all well and good, but at the same time forgets to write why people have faith in the first place. Plus, the guy is just an arsehole in the first place.

Sorry, but it's simply not up for debate.

Utterly obnoxious - and do you know him personally?

I enjoyed the books and the controversy is absolute bollocks. The film may turn out to be crap, as I find most adaptations do, but it won't be because of the 'anti-religious sentiment' or whatever obsessives are throwing up. To be quite honest, I relish the idea of religion getting an up middle finger all over again, being an atheist myself. Once again religious arrogance reigns supreme.

Blax_Hydralisk
You're going to hell nyaa nyaa.

EvilAngel
I still don't get why they changed the name, The Golden Compass doesn't seem as attention grabbing as The Northern Lights.

And like some of you hear, big fan of the books. Not going to see it because the chancing of it even coming close to my imagination are just pitiful.

Another thing, just out of curiousty, Why is Mrs Coulter a Blonde in the movie? That's was just weird.

exanda kane
Originally posted by Syren
Utterly obnoxious - and do you know him personally?

I enjoyed the books and the controversy is absolute bollocks. The film may turn out to be crap, as I find most adaptations do, but it won't be because of the 'anti-religious sentiment' or whatever obsessives are throwing up. To be quite honest, I relish the idea of religion getting an up middle finger all over again, being an atheist myself. Once again religious arrogance reigns supreme.

I did meet him actually, briefly, at the signing of the Amber Spyglass (I done that for a relative). Perhaps it was just because I wasn't one of the swooning housewives there, but he thinks an awful lot of himself. Know Gilderoy Lockhart from the Harry Potter? That's Phillip Pullman, through and through.

But that's moot seeing as you did not understand what I was saying. I'll let you keep thinking that I am offended by the anti-religous sentiment, because that's going to be the only comprehendable answer to a few. However, if you enjoy Phillip Pullman's works, I'd suggest reading, I don't know, a Dungeons and Dragons book?* Exactly the same crap.

*If there is such a thing.

As I said, not up for debate.

Mark Question
Anything that inspires kids to read is okay by me.

MrCampion
I like the name of the movie but wonder how good it is. I am a big Nicole Kidman fan.

=Tired Hiker=
I saw the movie yesterday and I liked it a lot. I was thoroughly entertained. You could tell the animals were CG, but it was still really good CG, it didn't bother me too much. I never read the books, but I want to, I'm sure the movie didn't do the books total justice, but what movie ever does? I loved the scenes with the polar bears, especially when . . . . . . the main polar bear character whacks the king polar bears lower jaw off his head and then bites his skull, killing him. That was friggin sick!

JediSamuraiMRB
Shame this did poorly, the second book in the series is very good and may not be made into a movie.

sithsaber408
Originally posted by Syren
To be quite honest, I relish the idea of religion getting an up middle finger all over again, being an atheist myself. Once again religious arrogance reigns supreme.

Kind of like how the film got "an up middle finger"? stick out tongue

It only made a sad 26 mil opening weekend, and it cost 180-200 mil to make, before advertising costs.

There's not much hope for it next week, as Will Smith's I AM LEGEND will probably dominate the box office.

Movie 2 and movie 3 will not get made.

And that's just fine with me.

Nobody ever wins when they go up against God (and state that it is their intention to do so), but I guess it doesn't stop people from trying.

exanda kane
I hope Phillip Pullman's pleased.

Lana
Originally posted by sithsaber408
Kind of like how the film got "an up middle finger"? stick out tongue

It only made a sad 26 mil opening weekend, and it cost 180-200 mil to make, before advertising costs.

There's not much hope for it next week, as Will Smith's I AM LEGEND will probably dominate the box office.

Movie 2 and movie 3 will not get made.

And that's just fine with me.

Nobody ever wins when they go up against God (and state that it is their intention to do so), but I guess it doesn't stop people from trying.

And why should people not do so? Religion isn't encased in some protective bubble that protects it from ridicule or criticism, and nor should it be.

I just find it very funny that people are fine with putting down any and every thing that exists, but once the subject becomes religion, they flip out. Guess what, deal with it. It's not the end-all-be-all in the world.

Besides which, I always saw the book as saying more that believing things blindly is a bad thing (which it is).

Captain REX
I thought that The Golden Compass was a very good film. The fact that it is facing prejudice for the author's atheistic views is ridiculous.

Blax_Hydralisk
But.. but he's speaking heresy sad

Blax_Hydralisk

I just find it very funny that people are fine with putting down any and every thing that exists, but once the subject becomes religion, they flip out. Guess what, deal with it. It's not the end-all-be-all in the world.

That's true with everything, though. Go take a look in the religion forum and tell me religion ain't put down no expression Religion is simply a much more touchy suject then, say, a video game. You're messing with things people truly believe in, something people die for, ridiculous as it may be, it's the truth and reality.

Stupidest thing ever no expression

sithsaber408
And why should people not do so? Religion isn't encased in some protective bubble that protects it from ridicule or criticism, and nor should it be.

Besides which, I always saw the book as saying more that believing things blindly is a bad thing (which it is).

I fully agree with your point Lana.

I believe that any and everybody can and should challenge religions, every kind.

I hate religion, what I have is a relationship with Christ.

Anyway, I never said that people "shouldn't" challenge religion, God, etc........ just that they never win.

Ask the makers of this film. winkOriginally posted by Blax_Hydralisk

Stupidest thing ever no expression Tell that to New Line cinema or the director of the film. cool

Blax_Hydralisk
Tell to that to the thousands of Christians slaughtered over history ermm

chillmeistergen
I fully agree with your point Lana.

I believe that any and everybody can and should challenge religions, every kind.

I hate religion, what I have is a relationship with Christ.

Anyway, I never said that people "shouldn't" challenge religion, God, etc........ just that they never win.

Darwin did a pretty good job.

Ushgarak
So did the Da Vinci code

And so did 'His Dark Materials' in novel format. So if the films are not doing as well, then the finger must point at poor adaption, not the subject matter.

Though frankly I cannot stand Philip Pullman either.

=Tired Hiker=
I had no idea about all this religious controversy surrounding the film. It didn't even occur to me while I viewed it that it was dissing religion. I was raised Catholic, and I still enjoyed this film. Hell, I'll go see it again.

Ushgarak
They toned it down for the film.

WrathfulDwarf
Meh...it's not as epic as LOTR so....

Blax_Hydralisk
Few of the movies that are still riding On Lotr's momentum are.

Deja~vu
Originally posted by Captain REX
I thought that The Golden Compass was a very good film. The fact that it is facing prejudice for the author's atheistic views is ridiculous. I agree.

Menetnashté
I thought that The Golden Compass was a very good film. The fact that it is facing prejudice for the author's atheistic views is ridiculous.
This movie is advertised like a kids film and so were the books and it's about killing God. I can't see anything that is not wrong with that. erm

Blax_Hydralisk
I don't think the target audience is really even old enough to understand and grasp that, though.

sithsaber408

D-Wag
I thought the movie was very good. I didnt like the ending too much, didnt like how it just ended...I wanted more. I guess ill have to go and see the sequel whenever that comes out. smile

chillmeistergen
The reviews I've read have been ridiculously mixed. Some giving it two stars, some giving it five. A lot of the reviews seem to think it was an utter disappointment though, and argue that it was lumped together and had extremely poor acting from Dakota What's-her-face.

Though the book really wasn't that good, definitely overrated. Well, Pullman as a whole is overrated.

Lana
You didn't actually read the books, did you.

chillmeistergen

?*

Lana
Question mark is not needed as it is a statement, not a question.

Because considering what Sithsaber has said, I would be shocked if he actually DID read the books. That last bit I quoted about seals my guess that he hasn't.

chillmeistergen
Yeah, that's a rhetorical question.

=Tired Hiker=
The target audience is hardly any older than the protagonists of the stories, age: 12

How much of the symbolism they understand is of course up for debate, but kids aren't stupid. When the nun tells the girl "Christianity was a nice idea, but it was a mistake." or something to that effect, it's pretty obvious and the kids would understand that.

Agreed.

That was the whole point of my first post.

It wouldn't be such a big deal if the books dealt with only "the Magisterium" as a corrupt, religious group that controls and made illusions to it being like the Catholic church.

That would be one thing, attacking an organization, a type of church.

But the second book has the boy and girl reverse the fall of man by eating fruit together in the garden, and then having a make out session, and the third book has them killing God and everybody happy.

THAT is a flat-out attack on the religion as a whole, a religion that millions live by. (and that attack is marketed directly to children)

A movie that made allegories to the fakeness of Muhammad or Buddha, and had it's main characters making light of and desecrating it's founding principles and situations would be attacked in a heartbeat, especially if it ended with a little boy and girl killing Buddha.

Even more so if it was being marketed to kids. In fact, they'd probably label it as "propaganda".... and isn't it exactly what these books/films are?

Athiest propaganda marketed to kids, wrapped in a fairy tale setting?

Only my opinion of course.

But my little joke was that this film, based on this book series with it's stated intention and purpose was an utter failure.

No more from me, I'm done in this thread, and it should just fall away, like the film did. stick out tongue

So, you've seen the movie and you read all the books? confused

Menetnashté
Originally posted by =Tired Hiker=
So, you've seen the movie and you read all the books? confused
I'd guess he's just read reviews, that's about as far as I go into it. erm

InnerRise

Question mark is not needed as it is a statement, not a question.

Umm......that would definitely be a question.

Should be: "You didn't actually read the books, did you?"

Anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

Captain REX

chillmeistergen
Really? I didn't know it had been changed.

So Pullman's a sell out as well, he's compromised his message for a movie full of lovely special effects.

Menetnashté
Originally posted by chillmeistergen

So Pullman's a sell out as well, he's compromised his message for a movie full of lovely special effects.
It's not like it was a heart warming moral tale.
I don't know about the books being promoted to children, but the movie was steered away from the religious angle. Rather than the Catholic church being represented as evil, it was changed to 'oppressive governments.'
Oh? Hadn't heard about that as far as I knew they'd kept the plot line the same. erm

chillmeistergen

Robtard

Yeah, even though the religious chest-pounding idiots are upset over it, the movie had nothing to do with religion or God.

Well, they offered him a nice sum, I'm sure. THe movie sucked though, it was nothing more than bubblegum kiddie film garbage... it's sad though, as I heard the books are decent.

Menetnashté
What's that got to do with it?
It's not really ashame that the plot changed was the point I was getting at.

Robtard

chillmeistergen
Yeah pretty much, though it doesn't really matter what I consider good aspects in the book. What matters is that Pullman compromised a message that's very important to him, for the film. It doesn't matter what the message is, it matters how much the person cares about it.

For example, imagine Richard Dawkins' publishers saying ''Look, Dick, I'm sorry but we just can't have this anti religion stuff, but we'd be more than happy to print anti government stuff - everyone pays taxes, so everyone can relate!'' and him just just going along with it.

Menetnashté
Originally posted by Robtard
The book's plot is what made the books good (so I hear); it's what separates these books from the other cookie-cutter style young(er) reader books.

Like Chill said, they traded the good aspects for jusy more CGI dazzle; we alrady have enough of that shit in movies.
I'm Christian so I don't find the whole killing God aspect to be a good plot. erm But anyways I'm done with this thread, no reason to continue on about it.

H. S. 6

SkinWalker
I just saw the movie, I liked, but I haven't read the book. It's very fast paced, but it's action scenes are effective and I found nothing in it that should go against your religion.

Blax_Hydralisk
I seriously doubt they'd put too much emphasis on the whole kill God thing anyway look at how some of you people are reacting here, on a message board. In real life the amount of complainers would be ten-fold.

super pr*xy
unfortunately, we have evolved into super sensitive poosies that what used to be harmless none sense now makes up the list of what is obscene or offensive.

Blax_Hydralisk
I find it intresting and sad yet funny how I AM Legand completely murdered this movie.

Hooray.

Robtard
Originally posted by Blax_Hydralisk
I find it intresting and sad yet funny how I AM Legand completely murdered this movie.

Hooray.

1) Will Smith sells.

2) The bad publicity caused by the misguided religious-idiots probably hurt Golden Compass somewhat.

3) Golden Compass wasn't a very good movie.

Blax_Hydralisk
It wasn't? I was contemplating seeing it.

Also I think people are just bored of movies like this. To the average idiot it looks like this:

Lord of the Rings kicked ass, Narnia rode on Lotr's momentum and was okay, *throw in a bunch of other wannabe movies like Kingdom of Heaven*, then comes Golden Compass, also riding on the wave of Lord of the Rings/

allofyousuckkk
Golden Compass was a very fun movie. Dakota what's her name was a really good actress.

If a fictional movie is enough to change someone's religious views, they were never really very religious in the first place, were they?

SkinWalker
Originally posted by allofyousuckkk
Golden Compass was a very fun movie. Dakota what's her name was a really good actress.

If a fictional movie is enough to change someone's religious views, they were never really very religious in the first place, were they?

People can take what they want out of books and movies, it's a choice.

Crimson Phoenix
I saw the movie last night, it was better than i expected, considering the reviews it being getting, My only peeve is how the messed up the ending, or chopped of the real ending from the book. It would have added so much more to the film, but instead it ended in a mediocore passable note.

And now, i am really sick of these people who have never touched the books, and know nothingabot them beynd what the press says who keeps critisising the trilogy. People hear that its about "killng god". Just read the books and see whats its really about. The real themes are about free will and corruption within political and religous authority. it has much more layers than Lord of the Rings and Narnia, and is completely different than either of the 2, so to bundle the trilogy as an average fantasy series would be crazy.

chillmeistergen
No, it does not have more layers than Lord Of The Rings, what an absolutely stupid thing to say.

darthivader
I think what could be "wrong" with this movie is that it's kind of an introduction , and many people won't find it as interesting as let's say, maybe the third one (if it ever happens). But it's the same thing with the book, it is an introduction and I can say that I enjoyed much more the second and third books.

I really hope they give this series a chance, the two other books can give so much more.

Also the ending... confused

Blax_Hydralisk
*knee jerks*

Nah, I prefer the ring of power to the Compass of Gold.

and yeah to say it has more layers then Lotr is stupid..

Crimson Phoenix
Wow, it was only my opinion, its just what i though after reading both books, mind i love LOTR, but i thought HDM was that bit better.

chillmeistergen
It was dire.

Crimson Phoenix
It was dire.

nope, it was fookin ace! (talking about the books, not the movie)

chillmeistergen
Yeah, I was talking about the books as well.

Crimson Phoenix
Ok

exanda kane
Bad books them. Mind you, I haven't gone to see the film still, so unless a bunch of leprichauns high on festive spirits knock me out with a bottle of Bailey's and pin me a la Clockwork Orange in a cinema seat, I won't be watching it.

chillmeistergen
I'm glad someone agrees that the books are poor, and I wouldn't have it any other person.

I agree with the leprechaun sentiment, though it would take more than a bash with a bottle of Baileys to keep me in the cinema.

Deja~vu
I liked the movie. It's easy to understand in allegorical meaning. We all have our demons. When we are children it's not so apparent as when we are all adults. To cut out the demons from the children, the adults felt they were doing them some favor, but instead it took away their freewill. It made them zombies sorta. Like the angel on your one shoulder and the devil on your left. It left them EMPTY.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.