PT and KOTOR Tech

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Shin_Nikkolas
This isn't a fight. I was arguing with someone and he said some crap I've never heard before. The stuff in quotes is me and the responses are his.

A Luke who didn't know he could fry the Droideka's circuits with a pulse of energy, the whole Destroy Droid power that Arca Jeth developed during the Great Droid Revolution.

You DO realize Star Wars tech is STAGNANT right? And the pathetic B1's are that, Pathetic, if they have 'superior' technology, why are they destroyed just by falling? Why aren't they armed with flamethrowers, personal energy shields, etc? If anything, they are a DOWNGRADE from KOTOR era.

You mean the Grevious that fled in ROTS? PT Tech is SAME LEVEL as KOTOR Tech, because Star Wars tech has been stagnant for over 4100 years!

Where does he get the idea that SW tech has been stagnant for over 4 millennia?

I'm no expert on SW tech or whoever this Arca guy is but the idea that KOTOR droids are better than PT ones doesn't fit.

Darth Sexy
Tech hasn't been stagnant persay, but when you have hyperspace technology introduced 25,000 BBY, not very much technological breakthrough could really be made..

Gideon
Yeah. But, still, modern SW tech >>>>>>>>>> old SW tech. Nai or Glentract pwned that argument ages ago.

Shin_Nikkolas
Well, someone get them in this topic. I need to know this stuff.

Janus Marius
Actually, you can just take a look at the SW.com databank; ships from the KotOR era are smaller, slower, have less armaments, and less shielding.

Se7in
Originally posted by Janus Marius
Actually, you can just take a look at the SW.com databank; ships from the KotOR era are smaller, slower, have less armaments, and less shielding.

Still, that's quite a small change considering the amount of time that has elasped.

Manslayer
Nikkolas was that idiot from lucasforum again?

Shin_Nikkolas
Nah. it's from the other site I posted about. HeroChat.

Janus Marius
SW tech has, in some cases, not improved by leaps and bounds in a traditional sense. But then that's because we live in an era where progress has sped up quite a bit. Technology in our cases has kicked into higher gear because of the discovery of electricity and computers. This is a far cry from earlier times, where you could go 400 years and little if anything would change technologically. People had been swinging swords for centuries and there was little difference as to the function of the tech (It was mostly either a difference in application or look; very similar to tech changes from TOTJ era and up).

At this point, we're just building on the foundations of our own technology until we hit the threshold or limit of physics. For all we know, SW tech has pretty much hit that wall, or close to it. It's silly to think that technology has limitless potential when it's just the act of rearranging preexisting materials.

So KotOR tech may seem comparable to PT era tech, but that's simply because it is made to look and function similar. The point remains that earlier eras had inferior ships (Less armaments, size, power, functionality), inferior ranged weapons (Older guns had less ammo, shorter effective range, and were prone to overheating), etc. etc. Granted, it may not appear to be inferior (Which was perhaps the intent of KotOR designers more than TOTJ artists; TOTJ takes place a generation earlier and yet looks horribly archaic next to almost-PT-era KotOR tech. Even Jedi wear PT-era style robes in the game, and yet it's clear that Jedi wore battle armor during Ruusan and before KotOR!) but it certainly is.

I personally blame KotOR designers for taking too many liberties with the look and feel of the tech, falling too far from TOTJ-era tech and being far too similar to PT era tech.

Shin_Nikkolas
According to some people on another sci-fi tech site, this is representative of how PT and Imperial tech is above KOTOR tech.

bIM0ReXhenc

That is apparently vastly, vastly weaker than what PT ships can do.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.