Bowling for COlumbine

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

scottkimbal
Has anyone seen this yet? I'd perfer to discuss with people who havent been brainwashed by Michael Moore. (but then again, maybe it would be fun to shake up their world.)

Tex
I hear it's suppose to be good.

ToMacco
I've never seen a Michael Moore movie.

BackFire349
it looks interesting.

Dim
Yeah I saw it...liked it too..what's your problem with it?

finti
what is it about

Tex
Guns in America

Dim
Actually alot of it is pretty funny.

It basically ask why does the US have more gun-related violence than other countries.

King Jedi
Michael Moore is great.

scottkimbal
I thought that the movie was completely biased and nonsensical. Moore just bullies his way into making people who disagree with him look bad. The kind of opposing views he gets come from the people who are so dumb they agree to speak to him - so of course they look foolish. He also takes them by surprise, so they have no time to reason an argument to present (a lot of pressure with a camera in your face). He also takes one or two people and presents them as representative of a community or nation, when there is no justification to do so.

The Best Documentary prize ought to go to something that is done in the spirit of spreading knowledge, and something unbiased, not a propaganda film.

finti
they made a movie about why US have a larger rate than other countries of gun realted violence. Sounds like a dokumentary

BackFire349
it is. made by some fat guy.

mah
sounds like you're the biased one here

Ushgarak
You could always try coming up with points to counter his rather than just rubbishing his well-received presentation.

BackFire349
but what fun is that?

scottkimbal
okay...

How come he doesnt include Russia in his tally of national murders?

What does earning a living have to do with gun deaths? What does military action have to do with gun deaths? What does Lockheed-Martin have to do with the Columbine Massacre? He needs to get his cause and effects straight.

Does he expect us to believe that all Canadians leave their doors unlocked?

So maybe I didnt bring any counter-points to his points but the above mentioned stuff bothered me.

Ushgarak
The first is irrelevant. The second, third and fourth is because he uses the gun control issue as a starting point for delving into American culture and hence American foreign policy, which is where the film becomes more subjective than analytical but the cause and effect chain is fine.

The fifth I was not aware was an impression he had made. What he cartainly had made was that the only practical explanation for the gun rate difference in American as compared to Canada is cultural.

Dim
*sigh* I'd explain it but you're not gonna get it...because you don't wanna get it.. Maybe you should go watch the film again.

J-ROC
Bowling for Columbine was great! It just goes to show how F***** up you Americans are!

Dim
Yep we are...better be nice or we might sic George Dubbaya on you. stick out tongue

BackFire349
yeah. and he could easily take over canada with a stick considering canadas almost non existant military force. a few months back when we accidentally killed like 10 of their soldiers, that was like 60% of their whole force.

J-ROC
hahaha ya pretty much.

mahdi
I really liked this movie. Michael Moore really knows how to get his point across. The movie went from heart wrentching to very funny to serious. I believe that we should take a look at ourselves more closely and ask ourselves "what are the people of our country really trying to prove with our guns and war happy president?"

strider
I SAW IT.. ITS EASILY ONE OF THE GREATEST FILMS EVER MADE.. IT MAKES US LOOK AT OUR SOCIETY AND OUR LIVES. THE MOVIE MAKES YOU EXAMINE THE UNITED STATES AND THE WORLD AT LARGE. ITS AN ESSENTIAL MOVIE FOR ANYONE IN THE U.S TO SEE. THE MOVIE RAISES SOME THOUGHT PROVOKING QUESTIONS..QUESTIONS THAT NEED TO BE ASKED

I WAS REALLY IMPRESSED BY THE INSIGHT THE FILM HAD.

I HAVE TO BUY THIS WHEN IT COMES OUT ON DVD.. IT WAS TRULY POWERFUL.

finti
well one questions that needs to be asked is: whats with those upper hand letters here?

Thomas H
Moore has said that he is thinking about making a docu about Norway!

finti
oh great, I hope he ask me a question

Thomas H
noo, It is supposed to be a sucsess, not a disgrace of Norwway...if you are interessted in reading more about this finti, check out www.filmmagasinet.no you will find it on the news!

pablo007
Did you guys ever happened to see this one ? I really liked it. I though Charlton Heston and Dick Clark seemed like assholes here. Not many people like Michael Moore because of what he says and does, but he does have a point.

pablo007
P.S. Marylin Manson looks and acts like a transvestite junkie but he seemed really smart on the interview, good answers.

silentfaf
ahh micheal moore a dick pensis hipocrit i wipe my bum with that video

BackFire349
I also enjoyed this movie, although it was blindedly one sided. but it makes a great point and raises good questions. very intriguing.

Sacrifice
I thought it was okay, it had some thought-provoking and informative moments. However, I agree with BackFire, the movie was edited to reflect a certain viewpoint.

In defense of Dick Clark, I am sure strange people approach him all the time. He probably had no idea who Micheal Moore was. I did lose a lot of respect for Charlton Heston though.

...film looked so bad, it shouldn't have won best documentery because it wasn't one! There was a site made to illustrate this point-and yes probably those famous people looked like assholes because it was edited to seem that way. He manipulated that film so much in order to succeed in getting people to agree with him, what an *******. The site shows that many of the things these people said in interviews were actually not said in response to the topic at hand. Michael Moore sucks my ass

BackFire349
it was manipulated heavily to illistrate his point, this is true. but it still manages to make its point very well, by using some very interesting facts along with its editing manipulation. and trust me, charlton heston was truthfully shown, the interview in the end wasnt edited at all, hestons responses were borderline pathetic.

pablo007
You can say all you want about Michael Moore but Charlton Heston's an ******* for going to Littleton and Flint to promote the NRA since both shootings were recent at the time.

Tex
I rented it this evening.

It wasn't as good as F. 9/11 and he really didn't do a good job explaining why America is as violent as it is.

The little cartoon and News coverage clips helped make the point that America is scared and would want to own guns, but he didn't really explain why we kill more people than other country.

But then again I dont think he even knows the answer.

The NRA were dicks for holding purposely holding conventions at the sight of the shootings, but I think MM was wrong for taking the photo of the little dead girl to Heston's house.

He didn't kill her. MM made it seem as if Heston was responsible.

Same thing with KMART. They didn't shoot those kids.
They're not responsible.

I'm very liberal, but people should be held responsible for killing each other, not guns or the NRA or KMART.

SaTsuJiN
I want him to do a documentary on the relationship between china japan and south korea lol that would be hilarious

Konjammenson
No one is trying to prove anything with guns. The question we really need to ask ourselves is: Why are we so afraid?

So we should just be ok with people blaming guns for human actions?

This film is not exactly a film on gun control. If you really pay attention to it you should come to the conclusion that guns are not the cause of our violent society. This is a documentary that exposes the culture of fear we live in. Though I do not agree with many of the points it brings, as they are tainted with bias, it does raise some interesting points on our society.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.