Debate!!!!!!!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

diddly
Okay everyone is debating about why they should and shouldnt have made DMC and AWE. Here is a nice little forum that we can hang each otherhang.... figuratively big grin
Debate away me hearties!pirate2

willofthewisp
All right, I'll go first. I think they should have made DMC and AWE. I think they had a lot of room to create more original stories, all the actors were willing to come back, and the same behind-the-scenes talents were there. Did both the films have weaknesses? Yeah. And we've talked about them. But I think the trilogy expands an entire universe that was waiting to be explored. There was too much to end with COTBP.

On that note, I commend T&T for making the sequels more like continuations of the same story rather than a brand new, stand-alone adventure. It required the characters to grow, previous conflicts come back to the surface, and deepened the purpose of having new characters there.

texgodiva2s
yo ho me hearties, as I have lived with (in, near,??) Star Trek since '68, I vote more with the ones I love as well. I do not tire of the ones I love, I find joy in knowing them, growing with them etc. Unless TnT are more ADHD than I am seems like there might be oh, maybe enough stories to be told to last me until I dance no more. I have no problems with long time/long term (But boy are they going to have to get it RIGHT)stories about these folks. I love the fan fics I have read about what Jack's mama might have been like--or Jack growing up with Teague as his daddy. I have watched the trilogy probably way too many times--I could probably write a Tao according to CJS. If I can watch the same movies as many times as I have I think more would be good. I read all the Edgar Rice Burroughs Tarzan series and those were intense Tarzan and a pile of em. 100s not enough.

Nanami_XIV
I think,they shouldn't of made DMC and AWE. They tried to hard to make it PotC big. They made it serious and it lost it's funny. I mean come on,in CotBP it was funny when they fought. Jack running across the bridge,the hand attacking the Governor. Funny!

DMC,they started to loose it. The fights were iffy and kinda funny. But BOOM!!! Liz and Jack kiss and I Jack dies. Depressing!!!

AWE,things blew up. >.< Deaths everywhere. James,Governor,Beckett,you see dead people!!! It was a WAY to dark movie. Darker than HP 5....and that's the darkest of the HP movies. Calypso was a total waste.....crabs....yay?

I have to say,the best scene from that whole movie was the multiple Jacks.

So,let me sum it up:

CotBP: Funny. Jack gets ship back and explores the 7 seas. Will and Liz are together. James and the Governor live. YAY!! Happy pirate ending!

DMC: Meh on funny...Love triangle. intense fighting. Dark theme sets in.

AWE: Deaths. Serious and dark. Jack loses his ship (WTF? Wasn't the point of the 1st one getting his ship?!) Will and Liz STILL get together. And 10 yrs in the future,while Liz is waiting for Will to come back,Jack's in Disney World,staying young.

Point of 4th movie?? None! 10 yrs have gone by. And we all (should) know about Jack's past by now. Worked for EITC,freed slaves,ship sunk,Davey raised it but with a dept...

And THAT is the longest thing I've ever typed here!

Scottie
I think they should have stopped after the first one as it was brilliant film, the seconds was crap, and ive not seen the last one but from what ive heard its not that gid either pirate

texgodiva2s
hey, Scottie, my man--what might you be chainsawing there in your little white side picture? I studied it for a bit and then decided, even though I'm feeling a bit rude to ask, I would like to know what you might be whacking up. So what'sit? please?

willofthewisp
Hey, Scottie, if you're going to say something is crap, why don't you back it up with some sort of fact or educated opinion? That's what a debate is.

Nanami, I don't want POTC4 either. I think all the stories are done. There is room for another story, but I think it would be out of place.

Scottie
Originally posted by texgodiva2s
hey, Scottie, my man--what might you be chainsawing there in your little white side picture? I studied it for a bit and then decided, even though I'm feeling a bit rude to ask, I would like to know what you might be whacking up. So what'sit? please? squirrelsOriginally posted by willofthewisp
Hey, Scottie, if you're going to say something is crap, why don't you back it up with some sort of fact or educated opinion? That's what a debate is.

Nanami, I don't want POTC4 either. I think all the stories are done. There is room for another story, but I think it would be out of place. there where so many plot lines, there the story was very weak and it was no were as near as good as the first one...but hey what sequels ever are? srug The cinematography was amazing but sadly that cant carry a movie pirate

LovelyOne
Originally posted by Scottie
squirrels there where so many plot lines, there the story was very weak and it was no were as near as good as the first one... srug The cinematography was amazing but sadly that cant carry a movie pirate

Godfather part 2
Austin Powers 2
and others

LovelyOne
Originally posted by Nanami_XIV

Point of 4th movie?? None! 10 yrs have gone by. And we all (should) know about Jack's past by now. Worked for EITC,freed slaves,ship sunk,Davey raised it but with a dept...

I agree, there is no point in even making that movie unless it ties in somehow with the 3rd

I dont get why T&T say the ending of movie 3 is a cliffhanger for movie 4...(or so I've heard around the net in various places.)

the ONLY way I can see that as a cliff hanger..and I've said it before is if the boy is in fact not Will's son at the end but is Jack, after finding the fountain of youth..

i remember reading on T&Ts official site (before I got banned for hinting how the 3rd movie ends), where terry said the ending to movie 3 is not supposed to be clear but is the answer to 3 possibilities...pshh I dunno..that man is so confusing I dont even know if he's coming or going with what he says.

Nanami_XIV
See,now if it's Jack's kid then there's a plot line. But other than that....it's just a waste really. :/

willofthewisp
The Empire Strikes Back is one of the best sequels ever made as well.

While I suppose no story is ever really over, lovelyone, the only way I can see POTC4 tying into AWE is to go back in time somewhat and maybe Liz gets to visit Will somehow...although Bootstrap said that would be impossible, OR to somehow continue the adventures with a kid. Either way doesn't sound all that fun and I really don't want POTC with just Jack. He's great, I love him, but POTC is an ensemble. There is such a thing as too much of a good thing.

Nanami_XIV
Originally posted by willofthewisp
There is such a thing as too much of a good thing.

Yup...and to me, a 4th movie is pushing it...

Scottie
Originally posted by LovelyOne
Godfather part 2
Austin Powers 2
and others yeah, some sequels are better but the majority are shite, from the batman series and rocky to jaw and speed erm but that's not my point....pirates2 was rubbish compared to the first

Surreal_44
Nay, Willo, it wasn't impossible for Elizabeth to go where they were going -- but she couldn't remain. We know this already from the time when they rescue Jack.

I can definitely see them doing a fourth movie. There are plenty of ways to work the story. I don't think I'd enjoy the film though if it was simply centered around Jack, since he is my least favorite of the characters.

katelovespirate
i think they should quit (and if they would have quit when they were ahead, film 3 would have been left in the waters of the caribbean where it belongs) now, but it's Disney, and all they seem to be able to do recently is sequels. Making this kind of money, they're going to milk it for all it's worth. I'd wager they'll do another, centered on Jack, as bringing Orlando and Keira back would be quite superfluous now that story is all tied up so tragically. But of course they have the fountain of youth to play with. Here's the question: Is Johnny enough of a money-grub to continue making them with Disney? Or will Disney do the smart thing and make an animated series for the kiddies that leaves us happily out of it?

lovethemtigers
The only way I would like a fourth is if they say AWE was Will's nightmare/dream...and he wakes up and they are just leaving Tia's cabin in search of Jack...and we get the real "AWE" that should have been.....

but, no, seriously, I'm not sure about making a 4th.....but I think it would be centered around Jack...that is the only way it will succeed....

What went wrong with DMC....it was great! Until you realized the whole entire plot of DMC was one big crock......that everything that happened in DMC was completely ignored in AWE.....

What went wrong with AWE.....everything...from the beginning right up to the end...it was too dark, too dreary...too much death.....too many betrayals and such...and it was just one big mess...but eveyone here that is familiar with this forum knows I feel this way about AWE, I've said it time and time again......

T.Maria
Originally posted by lovethemtigers

What went wrong with DMC....it was great! Until you realized the whole entire plot of DMC was one big crock......that everything that happened in DMC was completely ignored in AWE.....

Im still iffy on AWE to be honest...
I get the feeling that the script/film was tampered with in someway. I think people were pulling it in different directions...

For all the stuff that TnT said in their overlay of DMC (or the commentary, if you will) about the compass, and jack and liz....I get the feeling that THEIR initial ideas were to go down the sparrabeth road MORE than they actually did.

I can imagine quite clearly, the big-wigs in the disney office getting into a snit because their leading female character was commiting something along the lines 'an affair'...and disney with their 'family morals' would NEVER be able to have that in a film!

Something fishy went on, and it still stinks now in my opinion.

its a conspiracy, i tells you!!!!! confused

diddly
wow great debate every body and as much as i try staying unbiased i think they should have clarified the VERY VERY end of AWE more... a teacher of mine said that they cut out the part where Will comes back and lives with his new family(free of the curse). how? well wasnt the curse "serve 10 years and u get back ur life" (i improvised... dont kno word for word) but davy didnt want to help the souls so he got stuck for eternity... so the ending left u with an impression that Will only sees his family once every 10 yrs.... this is my opinion.. srrry if it confused u abit... pm/post if u need more clarifying!!

Hambah
I think that they should have left it. No DMC or AWE. I loved DMC, so if they had to make a third, they could have done it better. No, not necessarily J/E, but better in so many different ways.

willofthewisp
You're right, Kate, all Disney does anymore is make sequels, most not even released to theaters. AWE, whether people here liked it or not, went to go see it and it made a ton of money, just like DMC did, just like COTBP did, and I like the series minus a few minor quibblings. But I don't want another film. It would feel out of place. It would be like The Mummy Returns, changing characters too much, focusing on weird things, and generally making it a different kind of story. The kid, as cool as he may be, is a kid and would be a useful as the kid in The Mummy Returns and as soon as kids were brought into Star Wars (Jake "wish I could act" Lloyd), the series became a joke. Jack? Jack will get the Pearl. We know that. He doesn't give up on the Pearl. Will? Will is freed. I'm sure he just wants to spend time with his wife and kid. Liz? Liz is the pirate king. She's a working mom, and for the last ten years, has been a single mom. So she may not be as fun as she was before. T&T want to write again? Great. Write another series. Create something just as magical and wondeful as Shrek, POTC, Aladdin, and Zorro. Branch out and try new things. Even JK Rowling, who became richer than the Queen thanks to Harry Potter, knew when it was time to end that series and she plans on writing books for adults. If you have the money and the success, you can afford to take risks.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.