Seven Samurai

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

DARKLORDCAEDUS
I searched and really couldn't find anything. Seven Samurai is one of my favorite samurai films starring Toshiro Mifune. One of Kurosawa's best. However it is being remade. Who should play the roles? Dusty gave me the approval to put my thread here instead of the foreign cinema forum.

http://www.iesb.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3282&Itemid=99

Dusty
Well if it's to emulate the original. I'd have none other than Hiroyuki Sanada play Kyūzō.

For that matter, I wouldn't mind Ken Watanabe playing a role in the film.

DARKLORDCAEDUS
Originally posted by Dusty
Well if it's to emulate the original. I'd have none other than Hiroyuki Sanada play Kyūzō.

For that matter, I wouldn't mind Ken Watanabe playing a role in the film.

Two excellent choices. I do hope they get a look at.

WrathfulDwarf
**** this remake @#%$#!!!

I do mean **** this! %$#@$/!!!!

(the **** were use to express my fustration...does not mean I use actual profanity....shit!)

Robtard
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
**** this remake @#%$#!!!

I do mean **** this! %$#@$/!!!!

(the **** were use to express my fustration...does not mean I use actual profanity....shit!)

I'm rarely outright against remakes (though I think the majority of them pale to the original), but this is where I share your sentiments... "**** this".

Akira Kurosawa behind the helm is what made the movie, granted Mifune did a topnotch role, but without Kurosawa (how many directors can hold your attention for 3.5 hours?), this will be just another good guy(s) vs. bad guy(s) film, with a Samurai flavoring.

If anything, make another movie based off it, like the "Magnificent Seven", except not a Western.

What's next, Yojimbo (my favorite)?

DARKLORDCAEDUS
Originally posted by Robtard
I'm rarely outright against remakes (though I think the majority of them pale to the original), but this is where I share your sentiments... "**** this".

Akira Kurosawa behind the helm is what made the movie, granted Mifune did a topnotch role, but without Kurosawa (how many directors can hold your attention for 3.5 hours?), this will be just another good guy(s) vs. bad guy(s) film, with a Samurai flavoring.

If anything, make another movie based off it, like the "Magnificent Seven", except not a Western.

Loved Yojimbo also. I've read par of the script for the remake and it sounds very good. Nothing will beat the original, but perhaps with Henry Sanada and Ken Watanabe, then this movie has a great chance.

Robtard
Originally posted by DARKLORDCAEDUS
Loved Yojimbo also. I've read par of the script for the remake and it sounds very good. Nothing will beat the original, but perhaps with Henry Sanada and Ken Watanabe, then this movie has a great chance.

A director can take a good script and turn it into shit rather quickly. Like I said, unless they have someone on par with Kurosawa, I can't imagine this being anything special, sure, they'll be great fight scenes, but that didn't make Seven Samurai a classic alone.

Dusty
The Magnificent Seven sucked balls.

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by Robtard

Nevermind Yojimbo....it's been done. Rashomon is most likely in danger. His unique masterpiece could be next.

Dusty
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
Nevermind Yojimbo....it's been done. Rashomon is most likely in danger. His unique masterpiece could be next.

Rashomon was good, just not one of my favorites from him. Fortunately I don't think 'Dersu Uzala' (Probably my favorite kurosawa film) is in absolutely no danger of being remade.

Also, people, we still have RAN. Not to mention every other Kurosawa masterpiece.

DARKLORDCAEDUS
Rashomon was good, just not one of my favorites from him. Fortunately I don't think 'Dersu Uzala' (Probably my favorite kurosawa film) is in absolutely no danger of being remade.

Also, people, we still have RAN. Not to mention every other Kurosawa masterpiece.

RAN was great. Throne of Blood. Sanjuro was also good.

Dusty
RAN was great. Throne of Blood. Sanjuro was also good.

I'd rank my Kurosawa favorites like so:

Seven Samurai
Ikiru
Dersu Uzala
Ran
Kagemusha
Sanjuro
Throne of Blood
Madadayo
Dreams
Yojimbo
Red Beard
Rhapsody In August
The Hidden Fortress
Rashomon
High and Low
Lower Depths
Stray Dog
The Quiet Duel
Sanshiro Sugata
The Bad Sleep Well

DARKLORDCAEDUS
I'd rank my Kurosawa favorites like so:

Seven Samurai
Ikiru
Dersu Uzala
Ran
Kagemusha
Sanjuro
Throne of Blood
Madadayo
Dreams
Yojimbo
Red Beard
Rhapsody In August
The Hidden Fortress
Rashomon
High and Low
Lower Depths
Stray Dog
The Quiet Duel
Sanshiro Sugata
The Bad Sleep Well

I would definitely agree with you on your list.

Dusty
I would definitely agree with you on your list. Oh, you've seen them all?

Impediment
Dusty has recommended to me time and again to watch this movie.

I really need to rent it. The Criterion DVD is almost $40 at the store where I buy my DVDs.

DARKLORDCAEDUS
Oh, you've seen them all?

Yes, thru out the years.

Dusty
Originally posted by Impediment
Dusty has recommended to me time and again to watch this movie.

I really need to rent it. The Criterion DVD is almost $40 at the store where I buy my DVDs.

The 3-Disc SE? That's a bargain.

MildPossession
The first time I saw this film I wasn't particulary blown away, that was ages ago. Someone bought me the 3 disc Criterion edition not so long ago, so will watch it again someday and see what I think.

2D_MASTER
Remaking the Seven Samurai... the thought makes me hope for expedient extinction of the human race.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.