Movie Silver Surfer Vs. Movie Superman

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Zebedee
Who wins? The herald of the Cloud or Superman?

horrorwolf
lol depends on which Movie Superman....lol

George Reeves for instance gets pwned hard. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Zebedee
Originally posted by horrorwolf
lol depends on which Movie Superman....lol

George Reeves for instance gets pwned hard. roll eyes (sarcastic)

That was a TV show.

roll eyes (sarcastic)

smile

quanchi112
movie surfer can pull off the win.

rotiart
In the movie, all of surfer's powers came from the board...

So once superman lands a good haymaker or pulls off some crazy manuever that gets silver surfer off the board, fights over...

However, if he can't... surfers mere presence wrecked cosmic radiation all over the place, he'd most likely beat superman in the powers department..

i find it more likely surfer gets separated from the board however... so superman for the win.

DARKLORDCAEDUS
I'd say movie Surfer, but if this is Chris Reeve Supes, Movie Surfer may be in for it. 6/10 Movie Surfer.

Soljer
Superman.

braz
Silver Surfer, if hes quick enough not to get his board snatched, and once he transmutes Supes' powers, its over. Forceblast ftw.

Soljer
Originally posted by braz
Silver Surfer, if hes quick enough not to get his board snatched, and once he transmutes Supes' powers, its over. Forceblast ftw.

Technically, the Superman in Superman Returns is 'canon' to the first few films.

Meaning Movie Superman can turn back time and all that ridiculous crap.

Movie Superman wins in a stomp.

spidey-dude
movie superman strong enough to knock movie sufer off his board. and movie surfer is powerless without it

illadelph12
Couldn't Movie Surfer just phase through Superman's attacks?

However, giant Saran Wrap S-Shield thing for the win.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Soljer
Technically, the Superman in Superman Returns is 'canon' to the first few films.

Meaning Movie Superman can turn back time and all that ridiculous crap.

Movie Superman wins in a stomp. yeah he also gets crushed by manholes and struggles to hold back trucks. ur overrating superman.

quanchi112
Originally posted by illadelph12
Couldn't Movie Surfer just phase through Superman's attacks?

However, giant Saran Wrap S-Shield thing for the win. ur biased towards kryptonians arent u? stick out tongue

u were the general mod were u not?

u kryptonians stick together.

smile

batdude123
Originally posted by quanchi112
yeah he also gets crushed by manholes and struggles to hold back trucks. ur overrating superman.

Superman also moved the moon with ease, I believe in Superman 4 (which was God awful).

Silent Master
Didn't they have to use some pseudo-science energy interference(or whatever the hell those devices did, I don't remember) in order to get him off the board?

superkronick92
Movie Supes basically was Pre-Crisis Supes. So, Giant cellophane "S" ftw.

Kurash
superman

horrorwolf
Originally posted by Zebedee
That was a TV show.

roll eyes (sarcastic)

smile

Actually

George Reeves made a few Superman short films as well as the crappy tv show.

Kutulu
Originally posted by batdude123
Superman also moved the moon with ease, I believe in Superman 4 (which was God awful).

Superman 4 wasn't in continuity with Superman Returns, and Superman 1 & 2. Which is to say, the whole thing is damn confusing.

Anyway movie Superman for the win.

quanchi112
Originally posted by batdude123
Superman also moved the moon with ease, I believe in Superman 4 (which was God awful). surfer beats him with a few shots and doesnt get knocked off his board. supes goes back to er. this time they cant save him.

gogogadgetgo
Originally posted by Kutulu
Superman 4 wasn't in continuity with Superman Returns, and Superman 1 & 2. Which is to say, the whole thing is damn confusing.

Anyway movie Superman for the win.

i thought superman 1-4 were all in continuity?

anyway, any move superman would win. he could pull some crazy power out off his ass if he needed to to win.

laughing

move superman is basically just like pre-crissis superman.

with the power to pull any power from his ass to win laughing

quanchi112
Originally posted by gogogadgetgo
i thought superman 1-4 were all in continuity?

anyway, any move superman would win. he could pull some crazy power out off his ass if he needed to to win.

laughing

move superman is basically just like pre-crissis superman.

with the power to pull any power from his ass to win laughing precrisis wouldnt strugle to hold a truck from knocking him around.

spetznaz
precrisis wouldnt strugle to hold a truck from knocking him around.

True, but you have to realize (which i am sure you do) that in both comics and movies the writers do have the characters doing all sorts of stupid stuff (more like Writer-induced stupidity). For instance in one of the Superman movies the lady Kryptonian felt pain when she was struck by a snake, yet it is evident by everything else she did that she should have been invulnerable to the strike.

Writers do all sorts of stupid things, and this is not limited to the movies. In comics you will notice all sorts of sheer lunacy on the part of the writers.

And when you are looking at feats you have to look at the entire set. E.g., you cannot just look at him struggling to hold a truck (I do not remember that part, but I will take your word for it) and ignore him tearing through the earth's crust, stopping a falling jumbo jet, lifting a kryptonite-laden land mass, or any of the LARGE number of feats that Superman did.

It would be ludicrous to ignore all that and simply state that he cannot be that strong because a bus gave him trouble. Those are straight instances of writers failing to do their homework (e.g. the Kryptonian lady feeling a snakebite - maybe she forgot she was invulnerable, or maybe the snake had kryptonite fangs - and then proceeding to burn the snake with heat vision. A sagacious writer would not even have included that scene, because - with proper writing- the lady would not even have FELT the bite)

Furthermore you have to realize that the movie Superman was written as the Pre-Crisis type Superman.

Anyways, you can decide to focus on one particular aspect in a movie or a comic book. But it has to be contrasted against the entire gamut available.

And I am sure you know that.

grey fox
*Sigh*

Surfer cannot be physically separated from his board by force

I takes a Tachyon pulse to do so , anything else is useless.

rico777
Superman Wins

Zebedee
Originally posted by horrorwolf
Actually

George Reeves made a few Superman short films as well as the crappy tv show.

No he didn't unless they were for T.V.

Priest
Movie Surfer has some nice matter manipulation feats313

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by grey fox
*Sigh*

Superman squints his eyes just so and fires a tachyon pulse at Surfer.

END GAME no expression

Juntai
Hasn't magnetic powers done it before?

quanchi112
Originally posted by spetznaz
True, but you have to realize (which i am sure you do) that in both comics and movies the writers do have the characters doing all sorts of stupid stuff (more like Writer-induced stupidity). For instance in one of the Superman movies the lady Kryptonian felt pain when she was struck by a snake, yet it is evident by everything else she did that she should have been invulnerable to the strike.

Writers do all sorts of stupid things, and this is not limited to the movies. In comics you will notice all sorts of sheer lunacy on the part of the writers.

And when you are looking at feats you have to look at the entire set. E.g., you cannot just look at him struggling to hold a truck (I do not remember that part, but I will take your word for it) and ignore him tearing through the earth's crust, stopping a falling jumbo jet, lifting a kryptonite-laden land mass, or any of the LARGE number of feats that Superman did.

It would be ludicrous to ignore all that and simply state that he cannot be that strong because a bus gave him trouble. Those are straight instances of writers failing to do their homework (e.g. the Kryptonian lady feeling a snakebite - maybe she forgot she was invulnerable, or maybe the snake had kryptonite fangs - and then proceeding to burn the snake with heat vision. A sagacious writer would not even have included that scene, because - with proper writing- the lady would not even have FELT the bite)

Furthermore you have to realize that the movie Superman was written as the Pre-Crisis type Superman.

Anyways, you can decide to focus on one particular aspect in a movie or a comic book. But it has to be contrasted against the entire gamut available.

And I am sure you know that. i do take everything into account. but things like manholes and thathurt him. if usrfer gets some blasts in and doesnt go off the board he wins. if supes takes him off the board supes wins. but i see surfer winning slight majority befpre that happen.

Sirius77
Originally posted by rotiart
In the movie, all of surfer's powers came from the board...

So once superman lands a good haymaker or pulls off some crazy manuever that gets silver surfer off the board, fights over...

However, if he can't... surfers mere presence wrecked cosmic radiation all over the place, he'd most likely beat superman in the powers department..

i find it more likely surfer gets separated from the board however... so superman for the win.

Notice how he only messed with the Fantastic Four and Dooms
powers...

Do you know why? Silver Surfer controls the power cosmic.

The Fantastic Four and Doom owe their powers to the power
cosmic. See the connection?

Superman did not get his powers from cosmic rays, thus he
will not be affected by the power swap ability that the surfer seems
so fond of.

So by superior feats any movie version of Superman wins this (live action).

Sirius77
i do take everything into account. but things like manholes and thathurt him. if usrfer gets some blasts in and doesnt go off the board he wins. if supes takes him off the board supes wins. but i see surfer winning slight majority befpre that happen.

You do realize that Reeves superman turned back time under his
own speed right.

In Returns he lifted an Island while poisoned and half dead.

And Doom with surfers powers got run over by Reeds flying Dodge Hemi...

See the difference?

rico777
Originally posted by Sirius77
You do realize that Reeves superman turned back time under his
own speed right.

In Returns he lifted an Island while poisoned and half dead.

And Doom with surfers powers got run over by Reeds flying Dodge Hemi...

See the difference?
I think what quanchi meant and forgot to say was that Movie Silver Surfer has heart! and dont forget his eye of the tiger! cool

Sirius77
Oh yeah, forgot.

The power of heart...

quanchi112
Oh yeah, forgot.

The power of heart... supes goes down harder than when luthors henchmen beat him down.

Sirius77
supes goes down harder than when luthors henchmen beat him down.

When he was on an Island made of Kryptonite
that he lifted and threw into space a few minutes
afterwards.

You "forgot" to mention that part.

rico777
When he was on an Island made of Kryptonite
that he lifted and threw into space a few minutes
afterwards.

You "forgot" to mention that part.
i think quan missed the part where the f4 owned Doom with teh surfers powers...

Surfer didn't do anything that impressive that puts him above supes in the movies.. Supes wins quite easily.

Sirius77

Supes takes Surfer down harder than the flying hemi
did to Doom with Surfers powers added to hs own.

Sirius77
Originally posted by rico777
i think quan missed the part where the f4 owned Doom with teh surfers powers...

Surfer didn't do anything that impressive that puts him above supes in the movies.. Supes wins quite easily.

I completely agree. yes

quanchi112
Supes takes Surfer down harder than the flying hemi
did to Doom with Surfers powers added to hs own. supes is going to er again.

rico777
supes is going to er again.

Supes wins because he has heart! <3!

superkronick92

To give Surfer a "get well soon" card.

Sirius77

What?

quanchi112
What? in superman returns he went to the er after he fell to earth. thay had to save him. this time the doctors fail.

wink

Sirius77
in superman returns he went to the er after he fell to earth. thay had to save him. this time the doctors fail.

wink

What are you talking about? the needles coudn't pierce his skin.
The defibrullator backlashed when they tried to shock him.

SS got held down by a few leather straps in a government base, lol.

spetznaz

You say you take everything into account, and maybe you do (I cannot read your mind, thus i cannot ascribe to you what your thoughts/intentions are). However when you make posts like the one above it tends to portray a rather myopic sense of viewing things.

True, Luthor's thugs laid the whoopa$$ on Kal. No doubt about it. However, for you to state that I have to assume you watched the movie, and by watching the movie you know what had happened a FEW moments before they started wailing on Kal.

I believe I do not need to elaborate what happened, and that it makes sense why they were able to do what they did.

Thus it makes no sense for you to state that he got beat up by Luthor's thugs. It would be like me saying that (in a prior Superman movie ....can't recall if it is 2 or 3) Superman got beat up in a bar 'til he bled. That is true. What would be myopic would be me 'forgetting' to mention that when that happened he had lost ALL of his powers and was a mere human being.

Anyways, have a look at the following scan (which happened on panel BTW):

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i198/RaikouTheLightning/copthanos9yk.jpg

Now, I believe that gives me an excuse to post that pic on every 'Thanos vs' thread as an indicative point that Thanos can get owned. After all, if he got bl@@dy arrested by cops ......

However, if I look at the sheer extentity of Thanos showings then it becomes evident that that one scan is as worthy as a jug of warm spit.

Anyways, if you want to talk about Superman getting pwned by Lex's thugs on a Kryptonite land mass then maybe you should also consider Superman lifting that kryptonite-laden land mass to space.

rotiart
*Sigh*

Doctor doom emulating the energies of the surfer was able to use the board... with sufficient force johnny was able to remove doom from the board... so don't say it can't be done. They only way reed was sure surfer would be removed from the board would be with a tachyon pulse... maybe thats cause they couldn't generate the force necessarily as the combined johnny did.

quanchi112
You say you take everything into account, and maybe you do (I cannot read your mind, thus i cannot ascribe to you what your thoughts/intentions are). However when you make posts like the one above it tends to portray a rather myopic sense of viewing things.

True, Luthor's thugs laid the whoopa$$ on Kal. No doubt about it. However, for you to state that I have to assume you watched the movie, and by watching the movie you know what had happened a FEW moments before they started wailing on Kal.

I believe I do not need to elaborate what happened, and that it makes sense why they were able to do what they did.

Thus it makes no sense for you to state that he got beat up by Luthor's thugs. It would be like me saying that (in a prior Superman movie ....can't recall if it is 2 or 3) Superman got beat up in a bar 'til he bled. That is true. What would be myopic would be me 'forgetting' to mention that when that happened he had lost ALL of his powers and was a mere human being.

Anyways, have a look at the following scan (which happened on panel BTW):

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i198/RaikouTheLightning/copthanos9yk.jpg

Now, I believe that gives me an excuse to post that pic on every 'Thanos vs' thread as an indicative point that Thanos can get owned. After all, if he got bl@@dy arrested by cops ......

However, if I look at the sheer extentity of Thanos showings then it becomes evident that that one scan is as worthy as a jug of warm spit.

Anyways, if you want to talk about Superman getting pwned by Lex's thugs on a Kryptonite land mass then maybe you should also consider Superman lifting that kryptonite-laden land mass to space. then u should consider louis and her new man saving his ass. and then u should consider the medical team sabving his life.

smile

illadelph12
ur biased towards kryptonians arent u? stick out tongue

u were the general mod were u not?

u kryptonians stick together.

smile

Surfer would kneel...

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w313/illadelph12_prime/zod.jpg

Sirius77
then u should consider louis and her new man saving his ass. and then u should consider the medical team sabving his life.

smile

I'm sorry, but Louis wouldn't care about the Surfer.

And you're right, the Surfer would need a medical team, lol.

It would take Superman about a few seconds to take Surfer out.

quanchi112
Originally posted by illadelph12
Surfer would kneel...

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w313/illadelph12_prime/zod.jpg laughing

quanchi112
I'm sorry, but Louis wouldn't care about the Surfer.

And you're right, the Surfer would need a medical team, lol.

It would take Superman about a few seconds to take Surfer out. surfer heals on his own while superman needs a team of doctors and his friends to save his ass.

see the diff.

Sirius77
surfer heals on his own while superman needs a team of doctors and his friends to save his ass.

see the diff.

Superman healed right after he got the Kryptonite taken out of his ribs.

Surfer is weak as sh** without his little board. Also, if Superskrull Jonny was able to knock Doom with Surfers powers off of his board, then Supes will do it with ridiculous ease.

It took four of them to lift a ferris wheel.
And four of them to beat Doom with the Surfers powers.

Superman can lift a ferris wheel by himself because he can lift an Island while Kryptonite poisoned.

See the difference.

spetznaz
then u should consider louis and her new man saving his ass. and then u should consider the medical team sabving his life.

smile

I have.

I've also considered that when that Kryptonite shard was removed from Superman he was alright.

I've also considered all the other feats he did (including feats that well within pre-crisis levels).

In much the same manner that when debating on Thanos threads I do not only consider one instance of Wolverine (bone-clawed I believe) slashing his back, or that of him being arrested by human cops in New York.

I also consider the other feats that the Mad Titan has done, and I easily discover that they greatly overwhelm scratches on the back by Wolvie and steel handcuffs from NY's finest.

Superman's feats easily negate the instances of him getting beaten up (*although that is not even necessary since the instances of him getting beaten/messed up/helped by humans were due to:

1) Being on an island partly comprised of Kryptonite
2) When he was 'saved' by Lois and her guy he had a shard of Kryptonite wedged in him (basically a kryptonite knife)
3) When he was in hospital it is because he had just come from hauling an island of kryptonite into space, and then falling to the ground
4) In SM2 0r 3 when he was beaten up by some dude in a bar he had given up his powers to be with Lois.)

However looking at his other feats it is easy to see that SM is at pre-crisis levels. To the extent that he can even control time (The movie Silver Surfer on the other hand is no where near his low-level comicbook levels, let alone his normal/better showings).

Ouallada
Does Doom with board = Surfer with board?

grey fox
What?

He means ER, as in Emergency Rescue.Originally posted by Sirius77
What are you talking about? the needles coudn't pierce his skin.
The defibrullator backlashed when they tried to shock him.

SS got held down by a few leather straps in a government base, lol.

.....after having his power source completely cut off. Put Supes on a Red-sun dependent planet and he'd be held down by Leather straps.Originally posted by rotiart
Doctor doom emulating the energies of the surfer was able to use the board... with sufficient force johnny was able to remove doom from the board... so don't say it can't be done. They only way reed was sure surfer would be removed from the board would be with a tachyon pulse... maybe thats cause they couldn't generate the force necessarily as the combined johnny did.
McAeQiLmEYU

Johnny only Beat Surfer!Doom because he broke the two miniature tachyon generators keeping him (Doom) connected to the Board. Originally posted by Ouallada
Does Doom with board = Surfer with board?

Possibly better, Doom was more aggressive with his power.

Apolloknight
I may have to go with superman here.

Ouallada
He means ER, as in Emergency Rescue.

.....after having his power source completely cut off. Put Supes on a Red-sun dependent planet and he'd be held down by Leather straps.
McAeQiLmEYU

Johnny only Beat Surfer!Doom because he broke the two miniature tachyon generators keeping him (Doom) connected to the Board.

Possibly better, Doom was more aggressive with his power.

Emergency room

Anyway, I can't accept Doom being equal to or better than Surfer with his power. SS was obviously more in-tune with his power, and could simply summon the board as per the ending. In any case, if they got anything right about SS at all, it would be his pacifism. How Doom was knocked off his board is irrelevant to this debate. As I see it, Reed has the only valuable take on the situation.

grey fox
Originally posted by Ouallada
Emergency room

Anyway, I can't accept Doom being equal to or better than Surfer with his power. SS was obviously more in-tune with his power, and could simply summon the board as per the ending. In any case, if they got anything right about SS at all, it would be his pacifism. How Doom was knocked off his board is irrelevant to this debate. As I see it, Reed has the only valuable take on the situation.

All I'm trying to do is dispel the notion tat all it takes to De-power Surfer is to 'Punch him off his board'. All that does is waylay him as it returns, hell even Doom had it return to him !

boriquaking55
Nuclear Man big grin

rico777
Originally posted by boriquaking55
Nuclear Man big grin
laughing he owns! i'm kinda ashamed to admit that i kinda liked that movie :/

Mindship
However looking at his other feats it is easy to see that SM is at pre-crisis levels. To the extent that he can even control time (The movie Silver Surfer on the other hand is no where near his low-level comicbook levels, let alone his normal/better showings). I tend to agree.
My understanding is, 2006 Superman is a continuation of 1978 Superman, who obviously was precrisis. And movie Surfer, overall, didn't look as powerful as his comic-book version; certainly he has a serious board-dependency handicap. Movie Surfer's only real--arguably--outstanding showing was his ability to "defeat" Galactus, though again, hard to say what this really means power-level-wise.

I think movie Superman takes this.

Air Legend
Movie Silver Surfer would easily win. He has matter transmutation, intagibility, and is faster than Movie superman. Movie superman took a while to catch up to an airplane and save it. Not to mention Surfer actually fought somebody- supes fought a green rock. Also Surfer was able to "kamikaze" Galactus's storm though it really shouldn't be considered a kamikaze since he lived through it. Also Surfer was able to create giant holes in the earth with ease because of Galactus's hunger. Not to mention movie superman is nowhere near as intelligent as movie reed and doom so he wouldn't be able to find that way to disconnect surfer from his board, much less even know that most of surfer's power came from the board.

boriquaking55
Nuclear man would pwn movie SS & movie Superman. Nuclear Man is a god. He is what every other hero in the universe wishes he was. He seems to be some sort of half-man, half god, half possibly some sort of Centaur - but regardless, I wish he were my dad. Nuclear Man is the greatest hero evar.

Csdabest
If Surfer warpes Supes power how will he have to the strength to tern back time/. Supe is a joke.

Ouallada
Not to mention, movie Superman is from both pre-crisis and post-crisis eras. The version from Superman Returns would probably lose badly, if that is what we are going by. If not, good luck finding a middle ground between pre-crisis and post-crisis.

Magee
lol there is no post crisis in the movies. Superman returns is in continuity with both Superman 1 and 2 and is generaly accepted as a sequel. So with that Superman turns back time and SS isnt even on earth any more. Win.

Hannibal-Lector
DOesnt movie ss just have to fly by him to absorb all the solar energy?

Ouallada
Originally posted by Magee
lol there is no post crisis in the movies. Superman returns is in continuity with both Superman 1 and 2 and is generaly accepted as a sequel. So with that Superman turns back time and SS isnt even on earth any more. Win.

Duh there is no post-crisis in the movies. Said movies are just a parallel of the comics. Hence the "movie superman" and "movie surfer" tags.

It seems to me that people claim that the earlier SM movies were based on the character and powersets of the pre-crisis superman, and that is true. So, it is only logical that Superman Returns is based on the superman as of last year -- post-crisis. Sequel or not, I would bet that the producers and scriptwriters didn't base the movie on pre-crisis superman.

Zebedee
Originally posted by Ouallada
Duh there is no post-crisis in the movies. Said movies are just a parallel of the comics. Hence the "movie superman" and "movie surfer" tags.

It seems to me that people claim that the earlier SM movies were based on the character and powersets of the pre-crisis superman, and that is true. So, it is only logical that Superman Returns is based on the superman as of last year -- post-crisis. Sequel or not, I would bet that the producers and scriptwriters didn't base the movie on pre-crisis superman.

They based it on the Chris Reeves character hence a "sequel". That's correct no crisis has taken place in the movies so he remains based on Superman from the 70's which is prcrisis.

Ouallada
Let me put it differently then. I know that superman in SR is based on the original movie's which means pre-crisis. I am also willing to bet that audience's suspension of belief for plot-device powers is much lower today than 30 years ago. Thus, superman can be based on pre-crisis levels, but he will never exhibit such a high level in the movies because that would be storytelling suicide. Along the same lines, post-crisis superman is more catered to today's audiences, and the level of feats fall more in line with that, some minor differences (bio-aura?) nonwithstanding.

It is guaranteed that going back in time in a movie today by going really fast is going to book the movie a marquee place on Ebert's sequel to "Your Movie Sucks".

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.