GL/Sinestro Rings

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

shksprtx
Okay, here's the idea:

Who would win in a battle between a trained GL (say, Kyle Rayner) with one ring, and a non-trained GL (say, Spider-Man) with ten rings and a month's prep?

In other words, is the number of rings more important than the depth/breadth of training and experience with them?

Martian_mind
Ah,no.

willRules
I think more rings means more power in a very generalised sense but I think Kyle would win for have a greater mastery over it. yes

Why couldn't this have gone in the comic book questions thread? confused

guy222
Originally posted by shksprtx
Okay, here's the idea:

Who would win in a battle between a trained GL (say, Kyle Rayner) with one ring, and a non-trained GL (say, Spider-Man) with ten rings and a month's prep?

In other words, is the number of rings more important than the depth/breadth of training and experience with them?

kyle wins

Validus
No.

http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/164/greenlantern23016qt4.th.jpg

llagrok
Originally posted by Validus
No.

http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/164/greenlantern23016qt4.th.jpg

I was just about to bring that up.

Galan007
I'd tend to think Spidey would do better with a GL ring, then he would with a yellow ring...

A yellow ring requires a certain mastery of fear to 'open it up' --- Fear is something I don't see the Spidey we all know and love, being able to master/exploit, .

IMO, he would do much better controlling the generalized 'power of will' required to unlock a GL ring's power.

srug

Soljer
Lantern rings are based off of confidence, no?

Spidey is known for second guessing himself. I don't see him being too useful with a Lantern ring, either.

Validus
Originally posted by Galan007
I'd tend to think Spidey would do better with a GL ring, then he would with a yellow ring...

A yellow ring requires a certain mastery of fear to 'open it up' --- Fear is something I don't see the Spidey we all know and love, being able to master/exploit, .

IMO, he would do much better controlling the generalized 'power of will' required to unlock a GL ring's power.

srug
He'd do better but a master GL like Hal or Kyle would still be able to shut him down like Sinestro did to Hal there. John Stewart has done something like that before to rookie Lanterns.

Galan007
He'd do better but a master GL like Hal or Kyle would still be able to shut him down like Sinestro did to Hal there. John Stewart has done something like that before to rookie Lanterns. Ohh Don't get me wrong, Kyle would still wipe his ass with Spidey...

I just think Spidey would do better against him with a GL ring, instead of a SC ring.

willRules
Originally posted by Soljer
Lantern rings are based off of confidence, no?

I think it's willpower actually yes

rico777
Master Kyle wins this.

Lord Shaper
Spiderman gets squashed, hah.

Soljer
Originally posted by willRules
I think it's willpower actually yes

mad You know what I meant. A Green Lantern who isn't confident in his abilities will not be able to utilize them.

willRules
Fair enough stick out tongue

Doctor-Alvis
I think having a bunch of rings would only help you in the sense that you'd think you're going to get more juice out of it and that would help some psychologically but I doubt it'd help that much.

shksprtx
My whole point is, and maybe this DOES belong in the Comic Book Questions thread, why do so many Versus Forum fights allow a non-GL/Sinestro member a whole bunch of rings with some limited prep...does the NUMBER of rings one possesses actually affect the amount of power one controls?

willRules
I think it means that the GL can use each ring's charge. I'd guess it's not so much more powerful, more of an additional weapon Like having two guns as opposed to one. It's an extra weapon full of ammo.

grey fox
My whole point is, and maybe this DOES belong in the Comic Book Questions thread, why do so many Versus Forum fights allow a non-GL/Sinestro member a whole bunch of rings with some limited prep...does the NUMBER of rings one possesses actually affect the amount of power one controls?

No.

It's a common error that many assume that More Rings = More Power. You would only get minor boost and that would be from your own confidence at the fact that you BELIEVE your stronger due to the amount of rings.

Ie : Your own Ignorance powers your confidence which powers teh rings.

willRules
That makes sense yes

llagrok
Originally posted by grey fox
No.

It's a common error that many assume that More Rings = More Power. You would only get minor boost and that would be from your own confidence at the fact that you BELIEVE your stronger due to the amount of rings.

Ie : Your own Ignorance powers your confidence which powers teh rings.

So Hal is an idiot?

vlaaad12345
And cyborg carries 10 rings around for fun.

Validus
Originally posted by llagrok
So Hal is an idiot?
No but the person who wrote that story is.

batdude123
No but the person who wrote that story is.

Don't talk about Dan Jurgens that way, douche.

Galan007
Originally posted by grey fox
It's a common error that many assume that More Rings = More Power. You would only get minor boost and that would be from your own confidence at the fact that you BELIEVE your stronger due to the amount of rings. I like it. thumb up

It's kind of like Baseball players with corked bats.

Statistics show that in a corked bat vs. normal bat scenario, a corked bat doesn't help the batter gain very much distance at all.

But the mental edge said batter has when he gets up to the plate, thinking he has some kind of 'super-bat'... Well that's what really helps that batter hit home runs, more than anything.

More to the point,

When Hal Jordan initially went on his 'GL killing spree', he didn't necessarily want a bunch of rings because they would give him a tremendous power boost --- He wanted several rings because the power supply of his one ring just wasn't enough to do what he wanted to do, .

vlaaad12345
I like it. thumb up

It's kind of like Baseball players with corked bats.

Statistics show that in a corked bat vs. normal bat scenario, a corked bat doesn't help the batter gain very much distance at all.

But the mental edge said batter has when he gets up to the plate, thinking he has some kind of 'super-bat'... Well that's what really helps that batter hit home runs, more than anything.

More to the point,

When Hal Jordan initially went on his 'GL killing spree', he didn't necessarily want a bunch of rings because they would give him a tremendous power boost --- He wanted several rings because the power supply of his one ring just wasn't enough to do what he wanted to do, .
Then why did he again grab a bunch of rings if it doesnt make much of a difference,and why does cyborg use 8-10 rings if it doesnt change anything?

Galan007
Originally posted by vlaaad12345
Then why did he again grab a bunch of rings if it doesnt make much of a difference. Because his one ring ran out of juice too quickly for Hal to do what he wanted to do.

Did I not just explain this in my above post? confused

vlaaad12345
Because his one ring ran out of juice too quickly for Hal to do what he wanted to do.

Did I not just explain this in my above post? confused
Because it doesnt make sense,if you can do something with one ring why cant you do the same thing 2x with 2 rings that is what would make sense not just having more energy to draw on.

Galan007
Originally posted by vlaaad12345
Because it doesnt make sense,if you can do something with one ring why cant you do the same thing 2x with 2 rings that is what would make sense not just having more energy to draw on. Let me put it this way...

Someone with 10 rings isn't 10x more powerful then someone with 1 ring --- All that really gives them is longer lasting energies.

I'm basing this solely from what I've seen on panel.

rotiart
Hal with yellow rings is not = to Sinestro... with yellow rings... green rings are based off willpower... yellow off how you can manipulate fear...

ie... if you gave two rings to two different people.. you'd get two different results...
example batman vs superman... two geniuses... great heroes in their own right... but batman is a master at instilling fear.. where as supes is pure of heart... hal is a newbie when it comes to manipulating fear.

As for the 10 rings answer... you're attacks may not be more "powerful" but there are more of them. a bullet does a bullets damage... but 10 bullets vs 1 bullets... means more chances to damage someone.

generally skill wins with the rings.... however if the newbie is someone like batman.. a genius... with high will power... high ability to manipulate fear... watchout.

Validus
Originally posted by batdude123
Don't talk about Dan Jurgens that way, douche.
Jurgens didn't write Emerald Twilight.

Validus
Originally posted by rotiart
generally skill wins with the rings.... however if the newbie is someone like batman.. a genius... with high will power... high ability to manipulate fear... watchout.
The newbie would still need training. Batman with all his so called willpower could barely maniuplate Hal's ring.
More to the point,

I think it was explained in Rebirth that Hal was under the influence of Parallax who wanted him to wear more rings to increase their connection with one another.

Galan007
I think it was explained in Rebirth that Hal was under the influence of Parallax who wanted him to wear more rings to increase their connection with one another. Really? Never read Rebirth myself, but I guess that was a good way to tie in the Parallax entities' responsibility for Hal's rampage, so less people could put the blame solely on him.

Well in any rate, more rings doesn't necessarily = more overall power, just an extended amount of time in which to use said power IMO.

You're the GL guy, how's that sound to you? stick out tongue

batdude123
Jurgens didn't write Emerald Twilight.

I was thinking of Zero Hour. doped

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.