Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

alic88
Its official.
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Terminator-4-In-2009-6595.html

barand1
Yeah I noticed this first thing on the web when I got into work. I'm not sure about it all. Not sure about the title for one thing. I hope it works out good for the francise sake and for us fans. I hope they ruin it.

Finally we get a Terminator film set in the future. I guess that's a plus.

What do you think alec88?

alic88
I'm excited actually. I think that the future war is a movie too late, since t3 was generally a rehash of terminator t2, minus the ending. I believe this concept should have been adopted as early as t3, but now we will finally see a future war. Hopefully warner brothers will learn a lesson from t3's failure and make a decent movie with a good script, now that they will be relatively tight on budget as well. They wont have $175 million budget for t4 I am sure.

And I read this on another article that the reason for the title is that they deliberately wanted to exclude any digits since this will have the new phase of the terminator saga, the future war. I agree with that, only that I feel like its a bit too much on the title. They could just have

Terminator: The future begins OR heck even Terminator: Salvation

Anyways I really really hope that Nick Stahl returns for terminator 4, I thought he did a fantastic job in t3, and NO I dont want Eddie Furlong to return. Claire Danes is not coming back, she said that clearly in an article 3 years ago that I remember reading. Not that I mind her not returning, it just damages continuity.

It will be interesting to see where this future war begins, and whether Kyle Reese can be introduced or not. But from the looks of things I think this CAN be made into a great movie, but personally I think from a wider perspective its a TERMINATOR MOVIE TOO LATE

Darth Macabre
Originally posted by alic88
Hopefully warner brothers will learn a lesson from t3's failure and make a decent movie with a good script, now that they will be relatively tight on budget as well. They wont have $175 million budget for t4 I am sure.

Yes, it will...around that probably, at least.

Anyway, I'm excited about this...As a whole, I think T3 was a decent movie, though it would have been better if they changed a few things. Say, like, Arnold being the Terminator after John, and Kristanna Loken being the good "Terminator". That little change would have differed it from T2 a ton, and would have made for an interesting twist.

Though, I hope they have flashbacks or something about the past, from when John is locked in the fallout shelter to him leading the fight because I'm interested in that part the most: how did he get people to fight for him, why would they listen to him and not a General or something? Should be good, I hope.

barand1
Anyways I really really hope that Nick Stahl returns for terminator 4, I thought he did a fantastic job in t3, and NO I dont want Eddie Furlong to return. Claire Danes is not coming back, she said that clearly in an article 3 years ago that I remember reading. Not that I mind her not returning, it just damages continuity.

I agree, I really like how Nick played him and I liked how the character of John had changed from T2. He seems more mature and seemed worried and scared. He wasn't as brave as his mother. Sarah was his support and of course with Sarah dead, what hope did John have left? She was all he had I felt.

I agree that it is a movie too late and I agree with Darth Macabre that if things were slightly changed in T3, it would of been a more rounded movie. Having the T-850 as the bad Terminator could of worked as it would of screwed with John etc. (I don't mean screwed as in...)

Hopefully they will change the title. I know it isn't a big deal, but it is a bit long and something like Terminator: Salvation could work, although deep down I would like to see the number 4 somewhere.

I, as a fan, just hope that everything goes smoothly for the production and that the script is good (above standard) and that the film has a director that knows how to please fans and make a really great film.

Well here's to Terminator 4... I mean Salvation, or whatever they've called it.

DARKLORDCAEDUS
Great thread. I look forward to this and I can't wait until they start to cast the roles.

alic88
Keep in mind though that the writers are going to be the same as the ones for Terminator 3, do ya'll think thats a good or bad thing? I personally think its a good thing. Why? Because when the writers had the ending for terminator 3, surely they weren't just planning to leave it open like that. They knew that they had to continue with a storyline, so they must have envisioned some storyline for the future terminator movies, hence why I think these writes can do a good job.

barand1
I think it is a good idea having the same writers as T3. I think the script for T3 was weak in most parts, but in some overlooked scenes there is some good stuff there. It feels to me that T3 was written quickly just to get the movie made asap after getting the rights etc. It was probably "Okay write a script that is similar to T2, because that worked and write it quick as we've just lost a bit of money and time requiring the rights to this thing".

Anyway, watch this space.

barand1
Taken from moviehole.net:

For me this is good news in a way. The Strause brothers sound really passionate about the projects they do and by the sounds of it Terminator fans.

I think the franchise needs people like these two to take lead in some way and give the franchise back its heart that had slowly stopped beating in T3.

If I had my way I would pick these two over McG in a second!

What do you guys think?

exanda kane
Bale is rumoured to be involved. I'll get a source when I can be bothered, if you want.

Darth Martin
Yea I thought they said Bale will be playing John Connor. The title's messed up.

Ahnold
Hey guys. Just thought that I'd weigh in on this debate following the spate of recent announcements regarding "T4" ...

I'll start off with the good points. First and foremost, I should say that I am very glad that, after months (and years) of speculation, "T4" has actually been officially confirmed as greenlit, and that it also has a definite release date! Also, though long-rumoured, it's good to hear that the film *is* definitely set in the future (although I'm not really sure how they could have carried on the series otherwise).

However, again like many of you, I too have some pretty big doubts about the project as a whole. In addition to my basic, long-standing gripes (i.e. the non-involvement of either Cameron, or any of the cast from the first 3 films - a potential Arnie cameo not-withstanding). Frankly, some of the announcements (and rumours) that have emerged in the past few weeks just *chill me to the bone* - a Terminator film directed by bombastic "Charlie's Angels" helmer McG, and potentially starring that most brilliant of thespians Vin Diesel?!Surely that's just too bad to be true! And as for the title - to me, it just sounds long-winded, amateurish, and ... well ... just plain wrong. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that, with the release of the movie still just under 2 years away, nothing is set in stone ...

Ahnold
One thing I do sincerely hope is set in stone, though, is the rumour (which some of you have already mentioned) that none other than Batman himself, Christian Bale, has been cast as John Connor eek! ! Not only is he a terrific actor (not to mention a big box-office draw), but I'm also hoping that his casting means that the film itself will be of a high standard (provided that McG doesn't butcher it), as I'm sure that an actor with his track record of quality films wouldn't have signed on unless the script was really good. The link for this story, for those of you who want it, can be found here: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/34867 (there, Exanda Kane - saved you some trouble!). Oh and btw, if you haven't read that spine-chilling Vin Diesel rumour, then you can read that here: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/a77055/vin-diesel-to-become-new-terminator.html

When all is said and done, though, I too very much hope that everything works out well - and Bale's possible casting certainly makes that a lot more likely (Barand1 - I assume that when you wrote in your earlier post that "I hope they ruin it" that that was just a typo stick out tongue ). Here's hoping ...

barand1
Ha ha, although I can't find the post it was probably a typo embarrasment

Glad to see you post again on here Ahnold.

Ahnold
Heh - it's from your first post in this thread and yeah, I did assume as much stick out tongue .

Thanks Barand - always happy to post on here smile .

exanda kane
Cheers for the links Ahnold.

Ahnold
You're welcome smile . I am curious, though, why Bale's casting has not yet been reported by any other source - I thought it was a done deal?

barand1
UPDATE: Variety adds that "Bale will play Connor, now in his 30s, in the fourth installment of the "Terminator" franchise, to be set in the future. McG is directing the project, for an April start in Budapest."

The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed rumors that Christian Bale is in negotiations to star in Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins. McG is directing the movie, which is being made by Halcyon Company and Intermedia, and will be distributed by Warner Bros.

While it hasn't been released which role Bale will play, "T4's" story, by David Campbell Wilson, John Brancato and Michael Ferris, focuses on John Connor, now in his 30s, as he leads what is left of the human race against the machines.

Full link here

News to me that David Campbell Wilson is co-writing.

JediSamuraiMRB
I look forward to watch Christian Bale as John Connor.

Ahnold
Indeed big grin ! This rumour is edging ever closer to reality - IMDB also reported his possible casting this morning (though he's still, apparently, "in negotiations"wink. Here's hoping smile .

barand1

barand1
PLOT REVEALED!

Today we were supplied with the first official synopsis for Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins, which stars Christian Bale as John Connor and has McG attached to direct. Here it is! The film is about John Connor (Christian Bale), now in his 30's and soon to be wife Kate Brewster realize they must create a resistance organization with Earth's remaining survivors against the army of robots slowly being built up by Skynet. As they are building this resistance, one survivor happens to be a traitor in disguise, and has a secret that nobody would ever come to suspect.

Source: Bloody Disgusting

MrCampion
I wonder if this film will even acknowledge T3 now seemingly regarded as the worst of the films so far. Perhaps that is why there is no 4 in the apparently official title. Rumor says the makers of the Sarah Connor series will be ignoring 3, and the same doing the series are doing 4. So I wonder if 4 will be made and what it will be like? Either way they are taking a huge gamble.

febrele
I hated John Connor is T3 so much. Aren't you tired of emo heros? Can't John Connor be a badass? He HAS to. I'm not saying he must be perfect and without fear, but I hated the way he was portrayed as weak and emo.

MrCampion
He was rather ineffective. In 2 it can be overlooked as he was a kid, but by 3 he should have had some backbone.

JediSamuraiMRB
Both with Christian Bale playing the role now John Connor should be a lot bad ass.

febrele
Christian Bale = Batman

Bad choice IMO

MrCampion
I am suprised, I admit that Bale agreed to do this film considering he may end up being closely associated with two popular film franchises, but am interested in what he does with the role of Connor.

Darth Martin
Bale will make a good Connor. So would Daniel Craig btw IMO.

ragesRemorse
cant be worse than T3

alic88
Wow there have been some significant developments in the t4 arena. Well, its a shame that they didn't get Nick Stahl to do Terminator 4, but Christian Bale is not a bad choice at all for John Connor. 3 different John Connors for 3 different T movies though, that says something. Like ragesremorse said, it cant be worse than the third, and the fact that we will see the future war makes me all the more optimistic. They need a solid script with good writing and we might have a great terminator movie. I am curious as to who will play Kate Brewster now.

Tempe Brennan
Originally posted by alic88
Its official.
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Terminator-4-In-2009-6595.html

I, for one, cannot wait for this one. smile

barand1

Ahnold
Barand1, once again you have come through for us with yet another post of informative, recent news; 'tis very much appreciated, so cheers smile .

My long-standing grumbles aside, this project is looking better and better all the time smile . As always, fingers crossed ...

Tempe Brennan
Originally posted by barand1
PLOT REVEALED!

Today we were supplied with the first official synopsis for Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins, which stars Christian Bale as John Connor and has McG attached to direct. Here it is! The film is about John Connor (Christian Bale), now in his 30's and soon to be wife Kate Brewster realize they must create a resistance organization with Earth's remaining survivors against the army of robots slowly being built up by Skynet. As they are building this resistance, one survivor happens to be a traitor in disguise, and has a secret that nobody would ever come to suspect.

Source: Bloody Disgusting

Took me ages to come across this, but I am glad I did - sounds awesome! smile

barand1

Mairuzu
Seriously cannot wait

Darth Martin
Who thinks the female Terminator is crooked?

JediSamuraiMRB
This comes on May 22, 2009, I believe. I have to check, but I think thats the date.

coolmovies
This is gonna be a flop just like T3 and theres no arnie too

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.