Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

aniron
I;ve ust read that Tim Burton (one of my all time favourite directors) is doing Sweeny Todd with Johnny depp (one of my all time favourite actors)!

I love this story as I studied it for my A-level drama. we made up our own version as part of our exam called Teeny Sod. It was a modern adaptaion performed in a melodramatic style. I played Miss Lustit! And they meleted bodies into their own shampoo and their slogan was "the shampoo that really puts the body back into your hair". It's such a creepy tale. I heard once that it was true! But I doubt it. What are your experiences with the story? What do you think about the new movie?

Strangelove
Yes, but can Johnny sing? If he can't he will suck

ladygrim
Well we can only hope...

PIRATES=SEX
he can sing he sings quite a few songs with vanessa paraidis.

Strangelove
Originally posted by PIRATES=SEX
he can sing he sings quite a few songs with vanessa paraidis. Do you have any audio?

Then there's the question of if he's the right voice part. I'm not sure what Johnny's singing voice is, but Sweeney Todd calls for a bass or a baritone

mmoviejunkie
i've never heard him sing, but vanessa is giving him voice lessons

ADarksideJedi
That is one movie I would never see.Too gross!jmsick

Strangelove
The movie is coming out December 2007

Mr Parker
Normally I would be pissed off major big time about Tim Burton directing a film that is based off of proven material that works.His best work is when he makes his OWN stuff such as edward scissorhands, ed wood,and nightmare before christmas.When he makes movies that already have proven established material,he ruins and rapes it to death-The Batman movies,Willie wonka, ect,However he's such a pervert and loves to be so grotesque in his movies,that sweeney todd is a movie that is right up his alley.Ive read the play and its a good play.matter of fact a community theatre hear in my hometown is doing that play this spring-looking forward to it.so for once I am actually looking forward to a tim burton film that is based off of proven material and looking forward to this film because like I said,material thats grotesque like sweeny todd is right up tim burtons alley so it would be hard for him to mess THIS one up. big grin That being said,I cant believe I am saying this about a film that Burton is directing thats not his own stuff but this particular film I am looking forward to.

taste_u
I'm gettin pwned by dusty!

Eclipso
This is my faveorite musical of all time. And I think the casting is spot on. The problem is wether or not audiences will accpet it as a musical or not. Has Burton said wether or not its going to be a musical or not?

Also since the movie will require an R rating, if anyone has seen the DVD of the play they know why.

It will be a good movie for sure, but wether or not it will succeed at the box office or not is debateable.

Strangelove
Originally posted by Eclipso
This is my faveorite musical of all time. And I think the casting is spot on. The problem is wether or not audiences will accpet it as a musical or not. Has Burton said wether or not its going to be a musical or not?

Also since the movie will require an R rating, if anyone has seen the DVD of the play they know why.

It will be a good movie for sure, but wether or not it will succeed at the box office or not is debateable. hmm I think it's obvious that it will still be a musical

epicadventure
Strangelove, I've seen the December 2007 release date around the web as well, but that's a totally impossible release date. Right? I mean, they're still announcing casting additions- they haven't even started filming, as far as I've heard. And there's a lot more than 10 months of work between where they are now and a movie release.

I'd be thrilled if it did come out in December, but I'm pretty certain it's just not feasible. Any ideas about why the powers that be would label Dec '07 as the release when they have so far to go???

Strangelove
Originally posted by epicadventure
Strangelove, I've seen the December 2007 release date around the web as well, but that's a totally impossible release date. Right? I mean, they're still announcing casting additions- they haven't even started filming, as far as I've heard. And there's a lot more than 10 months of work between where they are now and a movie release.

I'd be thrilled if it did come out in December, but I'm pretty certain it's just not feasible. Any ideas about why the powers that be would label Dec '07 as the release when they have so far to go??? I'm going with the release date posted on IMDb until it changes

Eclipso
I really hope it does well, cause if so he could do "Into the Woods" and that would make a great film musical

Imperial Logic
With AWE being so exclusively covered, it seems this epic (and yes, those who it may concern, Depp) film should have a thread as well, on which to update on and celebrate the film.

Because it is still filming, definite countdown cannot yet commence, though it is expected in the cinema by December of this year. However the cast has been recently updated, and more is learned continuously.

So let the excruciatingly long, antagonizing wait and watch for the, as always, infallibly brilliant Burton film commence...

IheartPocky
I may.

But it'll be most likely an R so. Probably not big grin

T.Maria
Cant wait!! big grin

Johnny depp

Alan Rickman

Anthony Head

Helen bonham carter

SACHA BARON COHEN

^^^ THAT ALONE is worth its weight in gold!!! big grin

pirate179
OMG IM SO EXCITED FOR THIS MOVIE!I LOVE JOHNNY AND BURTON...PURE AWESOMENESS!! CANT WAIT!!
whoa...it might come out this year even w/ johnny out cuz of lily? yay Happy Dance

Imperial Logic
Most definitely T.Maria!
I can't believe Alan Rickman is going to be in a Burton film, let alone all the other amazing members of the cast! As is usual, a brilliant, intriguing collaboration...

According to IMDb (as of this moment) it is expected in December.

PirateDiva
OMG yes i cant wait!!!! big grin

Chiki Mina
You know...this is off topic. This could've been posted at the Off topic thread.

Gravitation
Originally posted by Chiki Mina
You know...this is off topic. This could've been posted at the Off topic thread.

Actually,it belongs in the 'Movie Discussion' Forum.

Mistypirate
I cant wait to see this movie, it looks really good.

PirateDiva
i wonder how he'll look like in this movie?

pirate179
I JUST CANT GET ENOUGH JOHNNY DEPP!!! KEEP MAKING MOVIES YA SEXY SEXY B*TCH!!! LOL eek! stick out tongue big grin

willofthewisp
Sweeny Todd's going to be amazing!

PirateDiva
LOL....Yes and think this year we get 2 movies with Johnny in them!!! POTC 3 and Sweeny Todd...wo0o0o0o0o0!!!

ivebeendepped43
Originally posted by T.Maria
Cant wait!! big grin

Johnny depp

Alan Rickman

Anthony Head

Helen bonham carter

SACHA BARON COHEN

^^^ THAT ALONE is worth its weight in gold!!! big grin omfg so true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PirateDiva
First Pics of Johnny as Sweeney Todd!!

pirate179
interesing hair...OMG he still looks HOTT love

lady_captinjack
see idk if i like the hair

pirate179
I DO!

PirateDiva
I Love it...I Love Him!!! He's sooo HoT love

T.Maria
ALAN RICKMAN.....I love alan rickman's work...a great example of what is left of real british talent lol big grin

OMG!!!
You can tell its a burton film...johnny has that burton look put upon him lmao!!! big grin

I love how johnny doesnt like prettying himself up for roles...
most actors rely on their looks, and johnny doesnt do that in the slightest...it just comes as an added bonus lmao!! big grin

pirate179
true, very true...he just enjoys acting and its fun for him..like T. said...his gorgeousness comes as a bonus!LOL wink big grin

lady_captinjack
wait who do u think had "gorgeousness"

pirate179
johnny!

lady_captinjack
oh, few i thought u were talking about alen

pirate179
alan who?? ohhhhh..rickman..no not me i was talkin about johnny..wait..hold on...T. were you talking about rickman or johnny...maybe i messed up..omg im so retarted!LOL

lady_captinjack
ALAN RICKMAN (not alen, my bad)

T.Maria
nono i was talking about johnny being hot, not alan rickman big grin

I admire alan rickmans work though...i think hes pretty much a genious lol!!

pirate179
ok good!LOL just making sure we on the same page! wink

Imperial Logic
Those pictures are awesome!! It's great how there's a holster for his infamous murder weapon! Where did you find them?

Indeed! Alan Rickman is an absolute genius!

Originally posted by Chiki Mina
Well, there are threads that are solely about Johnny Depp (private life, other roles, etc.), so this would be equally relevant. Just discussing (as do the rest of us) the acting and projects of a related actor...

PirateDiva
Omg yes.....Johnny just acts and pretty much takes what ever they throw at him...lol!! I Love Him!!! so i bet when Gore told Johnny "Hey Johnny what would you say if we wanted to turn u into a Crusty Barnicle old Fish Face at the Bottom of the sea?" Johnny probably said "I'd say...Oh what the Hey...Lets do it!" lol

that man seriously is a good sport!!! Love him! love

pirate179
yes he is fippin amazing!! love

lady_captinjack
gotta love the man

T.Maria
What have we done to deserve such a fine specamin on a man???

*heart melts*

He really is too good to be true big grin

you know what though?
im interested to see whom everyone else is in the film...its really weird to think of some of them breaking out into song big grin

(like johnny, and alan...and helen....and BORAT aka Sacha lmao!! big grin)

Im sure they will do just fine though big grin

ivebeendepped43
Sweeney will b awesome!!!!

IheartPocky
omg i love his costume lol it looks so crazy! eek!

ivebeendepped43
Originally posted by PirateDiva
Omg yes.....Johnny just acts and pretty much takes what ever they throw at him...lol!! I Love Him!!! so i bet when Gore told Johnny "Hey Johnny what would you say if we wanted to turn u into a Crusty Barnicle old Fish Face at the Bottom of the sea?" Johnny probably said "I'd say...Oh what the Hey...Lets do it!" lol

that man seriously is a good sport!!! Love him! love ttly love him!!!

ivebeendepped43
check it: http://perezhilton.com/topics/johnny_depp/your_first_look_20070327.php

IheartPocky
o0o colleen atwood did the costumes? cool lol

is it just me or does he have a bit of a tummy in that picture? maybe they stuffed him or something haha

PirateDiva
omg...lol...i think he does....awwww and he is still the finest man alive!!! big grin

T.Maria
i think thats because sweeney todd was a fatty....

My dad loves the history of sweeney todd...if you get him talking about it then he will never stop lmao big grin

Sick, sick man...im sure johnny will play the part fabulously big grin hehehe!

PirateDiva
i think thats because sweeney todd was a fatty....

My dad loves the history of sweeney todd...if you get him talking about it then he will never stop lmao big grin

Sick, sick man...im sure johnny will play the part fabulously big grin hehehe!

u mean kind of like when ppl start talking about POTC to us? And how they cant get us to shut up?...lol...Like That!! LMAO!

and yes there is no doubtJohnny will play the role wonderfully!! big grin

siriuswriter
But... will he be singing?

T.Maria
u mean kind of like when ppl start talking about POTC to us? And how they cant get us to shut up?...lol...Like That!! LMAO!

and yes there is no doubtJohnny will play the role wonderfully!! big grin

yes, EXACTLY like that!!! big grin laughing

Bwa Ha Ha
yah, i think he sings

PirateDiva
Originally posted by siriuswriter
But... will he be singing?

Yes he is suppose to be singing i know they made him take a singing test and he passed and has been working with a vocal couch!! big grin i cant wait to hear him sing!!

Bwa Ha Ha
huzzah

IheartPocky
he passed the test? lol yay!

This was in the movie Jersey Girl big grin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNb6i-p1jPg

Surreal_44
You know, I never liked Sweeny Todd, and now that I'm older...I still don't like it. stick out tongue I will probably not see the movie, but maybe the previews will suck me in anyway. big grin

IheartPocky
i dont know much about it, really. Except for he kills people in his barber shop and makes meat pies. And it's a musical.. big grin

Surreal_44
^^ That pretty much sums up why I don't like Sweeny Todd. stick out tongue

Bwa Ha Ha
i'm so watching it in theaters

T.Maria
the movie is a musical, but i dont think it was like that when it was actually happening lol big grin

IheartPocky
I'm thinking it will be a bit a gory.

Yeah?

I probably won't see it..

T.Maria
I dunno, you know...

I mean, its a burton film so it will have its burton-esque style on it...but i doubt he will make it gory.....

you probably wont see anything...

PirateDiva
Ya....me and scary, gory movies dont get along!! LOL...im still trying to pump myself to watch Nightmare on Elm Street...i mean i've seen Bits and Pices of it....but to see the whole thing, im still trying to gather the courage!! lol

Same with Sleepy Hallow and From Hell....i needed some prep time to see those!! LOL!!

Bwa Ha Ha
ur missing out on some great ones there

PirateDiva
^^ LOL..Well if seen Sleepy Hallow and From Hell...im just saying i needed some preping for it...lol

but i havent seen Nightmare on Elm street all the way though yet!!! I've seen some but not all!

PirateDiva
^^ LOL..Well i've seen Sleepy Hallow and From Hell...im just saying i needed some preping for it...lol

but i havent seen Nightmare on Elm street all the way though yet!!! I've seen some but not all!

T.Maria
^^ LOL..Well if seen Sleepy Hallow and From Hell...im just saying i needed some preping for it...lol

Hes so CUTE in that film!!!!!

At the start it says;

"And introducing johnny depp"

who knew what would happen 20+ years down the line?! cool

Bwa Ha Ha
totally

T.Maria
so incredibly sexy...so incredibly handsome...so incredibly talented...damnit, why cant there be men out there that you can actually MARRY that are just like him???

We should get some of his dna and clone him big grin

pirate179
i agree!!!! i want a clone

Bwa Ha Ha
huzzah

ivebeendepped43
Originally posted by IheartPocky
o0o colleen atwood did the costumes? cool lol

is it just me or does he have a bit of a tummy in that picture? maybe they stuffed him or something haha i noticed that...

siriuswriter
Too bad we'll have to get frogs to fill in the extra bits of DNA that we can't get...

ivebeendepped43
lol!

T.Maria
Too bad we'll have to get frogs to fill in the extra bits of DNA that we can't get...

frogs...

its ok, im sure one of us will volunteer to get one of his 'tadpoles' from him wink

MWHAHAHAHAHHHA! smokin' evil face

Bwa Ha Ha
rofl

ivebeendepped43
frogs...

its ok, im sure one of us will volunteer to get one of his 'tadpoles' from him wink

MWHAHAHAHAHHHA! smokin' evil face i readily volenteer!!!!

siriuswriter
I've always wondered this...

Why the hell is there a doobie smoking smilie on here?!?!

ivebeendepped43
to represent Johnny smoking of course!! lol

Bwa Ha Ha
Huzzah!

siriuswriter
Oh.... yeah....

It's all making sense now. smile

T.Maria
I've always wondered this...

Why the hell is there a doobie smoking smilie on here?!?!

well...smilies dont smile for nothing, you know wink big grin

laughing <--- This guy???? High as a kite!!!!!

Bwa Ha Ha
totally

siriuswriter
Oh, so that's the POST doobie smoking smilie.

big grin

Bwa Ha Ha
lol we're talking about this sorta stuff on Impy's thread.....

T.Maria
What the f**k? - Before

wacko - the start off

no expression - During

shifty - the come down

laughing - after !!!!

Bwa Ha Ha
after what?

T.Maria
smoking the funny-*** smile

personally i wouldnt know what it was like as i have never been there myself...
seen too many people waste their lives on it

Bwa Ha Ha
mhmmmm

siriuswriter
And this one big grin is the salesman.

Bwa Ha Ha
lol

PirateDiva
What the f**k? - Before

wacko - the start off

no expression - During

shifty - the come down

laughing - after !!!!

LMAO LMAO LMAO laughing ROTFLMAOSHIHTB!!!!!!!

PirateDiva
Oh Look underneath his eyes....they are RED!!!!

w00o0o0o0o0o0 Release Date for Sweeney Todd is December 21st!!!!

ivebeendepped43
oh im soooo excited!!!!!!

Bwa Ha Ha
big grin

siriuswriter
*looks at picture*

Well. That's a Tim Burton film.

Bwa Ha Ha
totally

Bwa Ha Ha

Bwa Ha Ha
Like my new siggy?

PirateDiva
omg siriuswriter...i love ur Siggy...I LOVE LOVE LOVE EMMY ROSSUM!!! big grin

Imperial Logic
"Bwa: Like my siggy?
PirateDiva: omg siriuswriter...i love ur Siggy"
LOL Yes, Bwa. What a Tunaesque signature you have.

With the release set, I wonder if the cinema flooding will be to bad, it is hard to tell...

Also, it will probably be mostly implied violence (e.g. Sleepy Hollow), as it can get the desired effect (in fact, it can be worse that what would have been filmed, depending on the individual's imagination...) and not be obscenely gory (well, again, depending on the mind...). Burton seems to use this quite a bit.

siriuswriter
I agree with Imperial Logic. In the Broadway Version, the violence is pretty much "Swipe, drop of victim in trick chair, done." No blood or anything. I think that's how it'll be in the movie, if they show the "Swipe" part at all... after all it's supposed to be a dark comedy.

And thank you PirateDiva, I was trying to find an appropriate piccy for these words.... and these definitely fit the bill.

Imperial Logic
Yes, most every Burton film consists primarily of dark humour... he also used the "swipe" element quite extensively with the Hessian in Sleepy Hollow, so we know he is fond of/ has skill with that effect...
It would probably be a good idea to study up on previous versions beforehand (as is the usual course)...

Bwa Ha Ha
4 sum reason i was confused and thought burton directed benny and joon......

pirate179
im excited for sweeney todd~!

ivebeendepped43
me too!!!

Imperial Logic
Originally posted by Bwa Ha Ha
4 sum reason i was confused and thought burton directed benny and joon......

Oh dear....

Think of how that would have been just a bit different...

Bwa Ha Ha
a BIT......

ivebeendepped43
.............SWEENEY!!

Bwa Ha Ha
ninja

Imperial Logic
Today (oh the horror of the incredibly slow pace) we learned of Tom Sweeney, who had his arm amputated (without anesthesia)... Also, he was described as "5 ft. 9 inches tall (an inch of difference from the latest Sweeny) with black hair, dark eyes, straight, slim, and very quiet."
It may be a bit of a stretch but....um...
Can anyone else find updates of any sort?

Bwa Ha Ha
lol

ivebeendepped43
...i drove past a "Sweeney Road" yesterday.....

Bwa Ha Ha
?

ivebeendepped43
what?

Bwa Ha Ha
i dont get it

ivebeendepped43
didnt think you would...CORN IS NO PLACE FOR A MIGHTY WARRIER!

IheartPocky
warrior... smile

Bwa Ha Ha
indeed

ivebeendepped43
..HUZZAH HACKING OFF HEADS!!

T.Maria
whats with all the talk of corn and the hacking of heads???? blink

....seriously, some of you guys need to get yourselves healthier obessions wink hehe!
kiddin! big grin

ivebeendepped43
Johnny is a VERY healthy obsession! we just have some unhealthy side-dish-obsessions! lol lmao

Ericadawn
ooh, Alan Rickman...

ivebeendepped43
mm..not 2 big a fan of Alan actually

Imperial Logic
Why ever not?

Bwa Ha Ha
Ummmm.......... Look what I found on DA........

Odd, isn't it?

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/35688286/?qo=14&q=Eric+Idle& amp;qh=boost%3Apopular+age_sigma%3A24h+age_scale%3
A5

ivebeendepped43
just put Johnny's face on that dude and ill be happy!

Imperial Logic
Originally posted by Bwa Ha Ha
Ummmm.......... Look what I found on DA........

Odd, isn't it?

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/35688286/?qo=14&q=Eric+Idle& amp;qh=boost%3Apopular+age_sigma%3A24h+age_scale%3
A5

BLASPHEMY!

(For them) IT'S THE END! THE ENDAAAGGGHHHHHH!!!

Oh dear.
And, oh dear:

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/34741541/?qo=22&q=by%3Aericidlewild&qh=sort%3Atime+-in%3Ascraps

And poor Ryan Stiles...

Bwa Ha Ha
Indeed...

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/28903459/?qo=39&q=by%3Aericidlewild&qh=sort%3Atime+-in%3Ascraps

Bwa Ha Ha
lol read the comments below the vid....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7W6b_UF6Weg

Bwa Ha Ha
Errrr.......... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYwfKQdA8Ug&mode=related&search=

Bwa Ha Ha
lol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nqtt-b0cmBI

Bwa Ha Ha

Bwa Ha Ha
Impy! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HX5OgSWCBQ&mode=related&search=

PirateDiva
wo0o0o00 I Love Johnny love

Bwa Ha Ha
Errrrrrrrr............. Does this have anything to do with Monty Python?

Imperial Logic
No, but is it supposed to?

There is, of course, the Homicidal Barber Sketch...

Bwa Ha Ha
True, true....

Imperial Logic
Huzzah for the Pythonian Theory of Rela/Connectivity!

Simon Belmont
MPFC!!! MONGO SMASH!!

Imperial Logic
NO, MONGO!...Never kill a customer.

Bwa Ha Ha
*lies bleeding to death on restaurant floor*

Imperial Logic
THE WOUND!!!

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>