Could the Sun Crusher withstand a blast from the Death Star?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Orbius
I was reading the Jedi Academy trilogy again today, when I began to wonder if the Sun Crusher could take a hit from the Death Star's Superlaser. The Superlaser can destroy a whole planet in a single shot, but the Sun Crusher tore through the command center of a Star Destroyer (the Manticore I believe). Discuss or Flame, your choice.

Morridini
It was made pretty overpowered, so I think the answer would be yes.

Darth Hord
The sun crusher may be overpowered but it can't withstand a direct hit by the super laser of the death star.

Melcórë
Originally posted by Morridini
It was made pretty overpowered, so I think the answer would be yes.

Isn't everything is SW?

Originally posted by Orbius
I was reading the Jedi Academy trilogy again today, when I began to wonder if the Sun Crusher could take a hit from the Death Star's Superlaser. The Superlaser can destroy a whole planet in a single shot, but the Sun Crusher tore through the command center of a Star Destroyer (the Manticore I believe). Discuss or Flame, your choice.

Uh....methinks a planet would be more difficult to destroy than a Star Destroyer. So no, I think it would be destroyed by a blast from one of the Death Stars. wink

Orbius

Melcórë
I was trying to emphasize the point that the Sun Crusher litteraly flew through a Star Destroyer's command center, which would be tons and tons of metal, possibly duracreet and plasteel, and came out unscathed. Too bad Star Wars doesn't look too kindly upon Logic...I can just see it now...

Lucas: "CGI Clones, check. Piss on Timothy Zahn's Thrawn Trilogy, check. Complete oblivious to the fact that I can't write dialogue for shit, check. No logic whatsoever, just pretty colors, check."

I Swear to god that's how he came up with the prequals. If they happened to come out first instead of the OT, Star Wars would not have been the hit it is.

"Piss" on the Thrawn Trilogy? How so?

BTW: I knew to what you were referring. Destroying a planet would take much more effort/power; therefore, the Sun Crusher would be devastated by the Death Star.

Orbius

Melcórë
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Zahn was the first author to reference the Clone Wars? I forgot the circumstances that he described, but it was different than what Lucas finally did.

It's like Lucas just walking up to Zahn, slapping him in the face, and telling him his story has no merit whatsoever, even tho Lucas most likely had to clear it anyways, and the book was written around a decade ago?? To change the circumstances of the clone wars after the book was waaay published is just uncool.

That's probably the only reason I hate Lucas, he's so narrow-minded that EU basically does not exist to him. To him, it's all just a bunch of fanfic, or as he's said, "A completely different universe." I just can never respect him because of that, and Jar Jar...but I can understand Jar Jar, as Pot was the hit thing when he wrote SW....how come no one's made that joke yet?

To be honest, it's been so long since I've read those books....I don't remember if there were any direct contradictions with regards the actual Clone Wars itself - save perhaps the length of time. It always seemed to be described as longer than three years, although short wars can be just as bloody (if not more so) than long ones....

That being said, even if there was a huge contradiction, it is ultimately Lucas' story, no matter how it makes us feel....

BTW: LOL @ Jar-Jar and pot....

Orbius
Yeah, but to let an author write one thing, and then say it's another is just horrible marketting. I think the circumstances were the factions were different, like there was no CIS. I'm not shure, I was gunna read them again anyways.

And yeah, Jar Jar and pot makes sense. How else can you explain a 6-part series that has more holes than a slice of swiss cheese?

Melcórë
Meh....there are some parts of the EU that should be overwritten. Perhaps not Zahn, but definitely others.

Morridini
Well there were some direct contradictions. Specificly the time for the Clone Wars, Vaders age etc. From a interview:

Source: http://www.theforce.net/jedicouncil/interview/zahn.shtml

MasterAshenVor
May i also state that the Sun Crusher Survived in a Black Hole , a Gas Giant , and a Sun....SO yes i think it could withstand a Simple Laser Volly from a Star Destroyer Since it took a Direct Hit from the Prototype Star Destroying in the Maw Installation

Melcórë
Originally posted by Morridini
Well there were some direct contradictions. Specificly the time for the Clone Wars, Vaders age etc. From a interview:

Source: http://www.theforce.net/jedicouncil/interview/zahn.shtml

So, in other words - pretty much what I said above, with regards the timing issues. stick out tongue

That's not really that big of an issue, though, y'know? The dates could be reconciled in later editions of the books through edits....

Darth Hord
Originally posted by MasterAshenVor
May i also state that the Sun Crusher Survived in a Black Hole , a Gas Giant , and a Sun....SO yes i think it could withstand a Simple Laser Volly from a Star Destroyer Since it took a Direct Hit from the Prototype Star Destroying in the Maw Installation

When did it survive inside of a black hole. It has amazing armor to survive Yavin's atmospheric pressure but being able to withstand a direct blast from the death star. The super laser was designed to destroy planets. And it didn't exactly take a direct hit from the death star prototype. First of all the prototype was firing at half power to reserve the energy so it could fire more shots at the republic ships.

Then the beam was bent and even though the gunner compensated the fringes hit the sun crusher meaning it was not a direct it but more like the sun crusher hit from the side of the beam and the beam itself still a had good portion into the black hole even with the the gunner's compensation. So the side blast(not a direct hit) of the prototype was even less than 50% that actually hit the sun crusher. And the narrator stated that the sun crusher barely survived that blast (less than 50%) and keep in mind it was hit by the fringes.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.