Can Wolverine starve to death?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Nick1989
Is this possibly one of the ways in which he can die? Or can he surive? If so how? Please post your comments, theories and ideas. Also people can relate it to biology if they need to. Thanks.

Sundipped
Yes. It would just take a long time. He still has all the attributes of a normal human system, just enhanced.

Eternal Idol
Wolverine once stated he fed off his own flesh for 3 months to sustain himself while buried alive (I think it was by an avalanche).

It's possible, but when he has that option, it makes it that much harder.

SuperiorTech
He cuts it off eat's and it heals and round and round he goes.

Sundipped
Originally posted by Eternal Idol
Wolverine once stated he fed off his own flesh for 3 months to sustain himself while buried alive (I think it was by an avalanche).

It's possible, but when he has that option, it makes it that much harder.

If thats true then he could eat himself a little at a time and regenerate in the process. He just can't eat at a faster rate than he regenerates.

Horrificus
remember, some of that actually has to get burned as fuel, to actually create the healing. so, eventually, he dies.

Nick1989
Cool any other comments?

Galan007
An impressive HF shouldn't change the fact that he still needs to eat in some way/shape/form.

emporerpants
yeah, but remember he can't stay dead. he'd die, then come back. thats his power i guess.

tazz
well if he doesn't eat at all he'll die. But he can survive it. He just cuts a chunk of his own meat. That part of his body heals. He eats it. Might be yucky but it should work

Galan007
Originally posted by emporerpants
yeah, but remember he can't stay dead. he'd die, then come back. thats his power i guess. If he initially 'died' from lack of eating -- wouldn't that constitute him 'starving to death', if only for a short while? confused

I mean, the thread starter didn't specify how long he had to stay 'dead'...

srug

grey fox
Your body begins to digest itself after a few days/weeks, doesn't it ?

Sundipped
Originally posted by grey fox
Your body begins to digest itself after a few days/weeks, doesn't it ?

For a normal human but Logan is far from normal.

grey fox
Originally posted by Sundipped
For a normal human but Logan is far from normal.

Well my initial idea was that he should be able to survive, due to the constant cycle of Burn-Heal-Burn-Heal etc.

Battlehammer
Logan could simply eat his own flesh.

Also after house of M Logan went with out food or sleep for about a month.

SuppMan
well, if the question is "can he starve to death", then saying that he eats himself isn't really starving because he would be EATING.. so lets say you put a muzzle over his mouth. haha. he should be able to starve to death.. I mean, starving will cause a decrease of energy to the point where you don't have enough energy to pump youre heart stuff like that. Not being able to pump youre heart is not something wolverine can heal. i dont think anyways.

Battlehammer
I would Likly take months.

also enough if he died he come back eventualy

h1a8
Since Wolverine had to eat himself then yes he can starve to death.
Now if Wolverine is restrained then he will certain die of starvation (because he can't eat himself).

Soljer
The answer is yes.

It'd just take an extraordinary amount of time.

Battlehammer
Originally posted by h1a8
Now if Wolverine is restrained then he will certain die of starvation (because he can't eat himself).
He still last for months.

and then come back to life any ways.

Battlehammer
Originally posted by Soljer
The answer is yes.

It'd just take an extraordinary amount of time.
correct.

SuppMan
Originally posted by h1a8

haha. good point.. if he CANT starve to death then there would be no need to eat himself. ha. unless he was trying to get some strength so he could high tail it out.. but then he's injured from eating himself so.. iono..

Battlehammer
colossus eats, but really has no need to. As does superman.

SuppMan
Originally posted by Battlehammer
colossus eats, but really has no need to. As does superman.

colossus i agree for sure.. but even superman? i mean, he's not really a mutant with strange powers, he's an alien. do kryptonians really live their lives on krypton not consuming.. do their breakfasts really consist of just sun bathing for a few minuites? hmm, i suppose so.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by SuppMan
colossus i agree for sure.. but even superman? i mean, he's not really a mutant with strange powers, he's an alien. do kryptonians really live their lives on krypton not consuming.. do their breakfasts really consist of just sun bathing for a few minuites? hmm, i suppose so.

Krypton's sun is red. Hence no superpowers.

SuppMan
ohhh. okay. i didnt know that..

Soljer
And I thought Colossus only didn't need to eat while in armored form?

bobbi
If we take any real world facts into this then yes, wolverine should starve to death rather easily. How long this takes is hard to judge in comics since conservation of mass and energy doesn't apply much.

Just look at the hulk. he gains a couple hundred pounds of flesh from what? absorbs proteins out of the air? converts gamma radiation to amino acids? Same with wolverines healing factor. If he loses an arm by eating it where is the matter coming from to reheal that arm?

Ignoring all that and judging from his eating himself feats, I'd pick maybe a year before his healing factor can no longer cope with the lack of nutritions and fails him so the next time he bites a chunk out of his arm it'll stay bitten off. So a year a 2 maybe for him to starve I say. But of course I'm just throwing a number out there

srankmissingnin
I'm not sure if he'd die but his body would likely shut down and put him in a coma-esq state. He seemed to think that his healing factor would prevent him from drowning to death, by keeping him alive in a state of perpetual drowning for an eternity... which wasn't something he was look forward to.

Doctor-Alvis
correct.
Nobody can say Wolverine would starve without making him sound amazing can they!?

Wolfblood77
He should starve eventually but current Wolverine would probably be written as being able to absorb nutrients, molecules etc from surrounding grass, plants or anything floating in the air and his healing factor synthesizing whatever is needed from them..

Battlehammer
Originally posted by Doctor-Alvis
Nobody can say Wolverine would starve without making him sound amazing can they!?

it a fact he went a month with out food or sleep before............

Doctor-Alvis
it a fact he went a month with out food or sleep before............
That's not what I'm talking about.

Superherovandal
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Krypton's sun is red. Hence no superpowers. yes but the red son also sustained them. So they didn't ever need to eat even on Krypton.

King Kandy
Originally posted by grey fox
Well my initial idea was that he should be able to survive, due to the constant cycle of Burn-Heal-Burn-Heal etc.
Right but eventualy he'll run out of energy to keep on healing...

SwindlingSmurph
Yes.

Capt Spaulding
Originally posted by emporerpants
yeah, but remember he can't stay dead. he'd die, then come back. thats his power i guess.

If he's dead, he's dead mac, look at Days of Futures Past

Battlehammer
Originally posted by Capt Spaulding

alternate reality...........also wow your behind on your wolverine.........

Capt Spaulding
alternate reality...........also wow your behind on your wolverine.........

No i just look at Wolverines who are actually good and interesting. You know Wolverine out of the 80's, I disregard all the crap that's been released for the 5 years, because it doesn't apply to the chracter wink

Battlehammer
No i just look at Wolverines who are actually good and interesting. You know Wolverine out of the 80's, I disregard all the crap that's been released for the 5 years, because it doesn't apply to the chracter wink
..........how does it not apply to his character?

oh and by the way you liked wolverine before he actaully was a mutant..........or had healing powers..........

Not to mention in the 90's early 90'sLogan healed from a cell...........

yup your opinion means jack since you don't read wolverine or know wtf your talking about.

Capt Spaulding
I've read scans, and I've read all his 70's,, and 80's stuff, when he wasn't a poser, he began becoming less cool in the 90's anyway, save for the tv show srug

srankmissingnin
Days of Future Past was the arc the established Wolverine's mutant power was a healing factor, the specifics of which weren't yet fleshed out so it isn't the best judge of the limits of his healing factor... and thats ignoring the fact that I'm pretty sure his DoFP death was retconned in future visits to the DoFP reality where Wolverine was still up and kicking.

Battlehammer
I've read scans, and I've read all his 70's,, and 80's stuff, when he wasn't a poser srug
......reading scanns? come on don't kid your self like that means anything.

funny you read his 80's shit and consider that at his best............when the majority of the time was prior to his character development or powers............

also his 70's stuff? he had a single issue in the 70's maybe 3 at best.

you just prove over and over you have no idea what your talking about.

a poser............wtf .

Battlehammer
Originally posted by srankmissingnin
Days of Future Past was the arc the established Wolverine's mutant power was a healing factor, the specifics of which weren't yet fleshed out so it isn't the best judge of the limits of his healing factor... and thats ignoring the fact that I'm pretty sure his DoFP death was retconned in future visits to the DoFP reality where Wolverine was still up and kicking.

yup

Capt Spaulding
......reading scanns? come on don't kid your self like that means anything.

funny you read his 80's shit and consider that at his best............when the majority of the time was prior to his character development or powers............

also his 70's stuff? he had a single issue in the 70's maybe 3 at best.

you just prove over and over you have no idea what your talking about.

Capt... Giant Size X-men came out in 1975, and was a recurring comic ever since....But yeah, I never said that was his peak, I just said that's when he was actually interesting and relevent. I know what I'm talking about, I never said anything against Wolverine's powers except that they fail nowadays, because every writer who grew up reading him wants to out do himself. Maybe if you read some of his classic material, you'd see how modern wolverine shallows in comparison, because all he is, is a kid in a boys bathroom trying to be cool, and smoking a cigarette. Lol, you said Wolverine only had like one appearance in the 70's, you barely even know your own character outside if the 5 solo series you buy of his that come out nowadays, some fan.

Battlehammer

Soljer

Battlehammer
No; it shows that he has different tastes than you.

.......to simply ignore lthe last five years of wolverine in any debate is jsut plain ignorant and dumb.

he can like an undevelope.........none defined character all he likes.

still seems rather dumb to say that was when he was best lol

Soljer
.......to simply ignore lthe last five years of wolverine in any debate is jsut plain ignorant and dumb.

It isn't dumb.

It's just different than you. No need to hate what you don't agree with or understand. That's damned near the definition of bigotry.

Battlehammer
It isn't dumb.

It's just different than you. No need to hate what you don't agree with or understand. That's damned near the definition of bigotry.

.........to ignore a character last 5 years of showings.............and then uses the issue were his healing factor was first introduce as the norm seems fine with you?

that does not ring of ignorances?

Soljer
.........to ignore a character last 5 years of showings.............and then uses the issue were his healing factor was first introduce as the norm seems fine with you?

that does not ring of ignorances?

I'm paraphrasing, but did he not say "I never said that was his peak, but that's when I was interested in him."

Battlehammer

Battlehammer
........does that not sound not only ignorant, but just bad debating.

Soljer
........does that not sound not only ignorant, but just bad debating.

No more ignorant than saying "You're dumb and ignorant for liking a character during XXXXX time."

Battlehammer
No more ignorant than saying "You're dumb and ignorant for liking a character during XXXXX time."

I don't really care when he liked the character I was simply annoyed by his ignroant statement.

I mean to only use his first issue in which he was shown to have a healing factor as a norm is sad.

Then to also ignore the last five years of comics..........becuase you dislike it it faulty debating.

I personally like the 80's wolverine my self. 90's is my favorite I would have to say maybe late 80's as well

Terryc250
I dont think he can die, it would just be really painful for him.. he was incinerated to the bone and survived

Capt Spaulding
I clearly stated that isn't his peak, it's just when the character was interesting, furthermore, he developed MA skills in the 80's, hello Kitty pryde? I disregard everything that's happened in the last 5 years. It's happened, but with marvel....Blackbolt's a skrull....So what has blackbolt actually done...meaning that with marvel, it isn't even a crime to disregard things that have occurred. Wolverine is virtually boring and uninteresting now, and all his cute little mutterings just reek with being a poser. sorry BH, but you're just a flat out fanboy, if anyone disagrees, you just say they don't know anything about Wolverine, when I know plenty about Wolverine, and I know plenty to not be interested in him as well.

Creshosk

Bouboumaster
A sky-father or above would stop for good Wolverine

tjcoady

how does that make him ignorant and dumb? Wolverine's interesting-factor got massacred through over exposure. He was interesting when he was the mysterious cynical badass, who still cared deeply about the people he was involved with, even though he didn't show it.

Seventeen different looks at his origins, and a trillion appearances in everything from Avengers to freakin' Terror Inc. and the glut of Wolverine love in the nineties where it was edgy and hip to have a character who kills people ruined him. at least for me. He lost all interest. I mean there are only so many "I can't handle the beast inside of me" type stories one can tell. And one can only have so many appearances before you stop being a mysterious loner.

Wolverine was more interesting when he wasn't unbelievably competent. it made him far more kick ass, because you'd knock him down and he'd be out, but he'd still come back for more. That's what made him effective in say... Claremont's earlier X-men stuff.

also, on the cigar smoking. I miss the Wolverine who smoke cigars and drank beers. now his only vice seems that he kills people all the time.

Or maybe it's because I stopped reading X-men about the time Wolverine stopped being interesting. Maybe he's undergone some sort of brilliant renanaissance since then.

anyways. that was just ranting and isn't really on target.

Personally, I don't really see how Wolverine could avoid starving to death. But then again, Giant Man, the Hulk, so on, anything that grows completely shatters the laws of physics, so if Marvel is cool with Wolverine being able to regrow from a single particle, that's fine with me. I just wonder where on earth the mass is coming from- is he transforming nearby air particles into flesh? The earth he's on? I don't really have a problem with Wolverine being able to regrow from a single cell because I'm willing to accept that human can turn into gorillas, an alien's body can act as a solar battery, and that an all powerful being comes from Mars who somehow turns into a child because of fire. I mean, it's not an impossible stretch of the imagination.

I just really want to know where ON EARTH IS HE GAINING THE MATTER NEEDED TO CREATE NEW TISSUE? It violates the second law of thermodynamics!

python99
He still last for months.

and then come back to life any ways.

just a quick question. Logan dies of starvation, then what? his body should technically decompose at a normal rate that a body should since his body is no longer functioning. With that said, lets say he dies and sits there for a week. Does his body from out of nowhere just come back to life and start regenerating again? just asking a question.

python99
Overall I think wolverine still needs the same nutrients as any normal human would in order to survive. He just needs a far lesser amount. I mean how long would his body be able to regenerate at maximum efficiency if he was lacking iron for instance.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.