Rivan was a Zelosian, Ragnos's rule details revealed, Exar Kun did NOT invent the DBL

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Lightsnake
From the Essential guide to the Force, lot of details revealed. The sith section actually comes from...Palpatine's very own holocron and contains excellent images and info, including Palpatine being trained by Plagueis as a young man.

Now, for Ragnos: Palpatine details the records of Ragnos as extremely powerful and praises him for his caution. (Palpatine almost outright calls Naga Sadow an idiot at several points for a few reasons)
Ragnos's rule details: He united the Sith Lords in a quick series of campaigns in battle and stayed in power by manipulating his rivals against one another, manipulating the weaker ones into challenging him, or simply having the stronger ones assassinated. His cause of death is mentioned as 'possibly old age.'

Palpatine is mentioned as having gained all of Naga Sadow's knowledge from an old Sith holocron and comments Naga was far too generous with it...he even details 'some' of Naga's knowledge in "The Dark Side Compendium" Palpatine gives accounts from Dark Lords from the Ancient Empire, the NEw Sith Empire, primarily Seviss Vaa, one of Kaan's stronger Sith Lords-Palp also holds some of his info in skepticism as Palpatine proved him wrong in several areas. And Kla, a Jedi master and scholar turned Sith Lord. Palpatine remarks one thing Sith can learn from Jedi is not being brash morons (Like Naga Sadow. Palpatine REALLY doesn't like him)

And he said though he's sometimes criticized for his 'inaction' during the early events, he says he ignores such critics as things proceeded directly as he wanted. He already had his eye on Dooku and Maul achieved his purpose perfectly.

And perhaps largest of all: Exar Kun is confirmed to...NOT have invented the DBL. Sorry, Exar fans, but it's mentioned he learned the design from studying a Sith holocron containing information from the first Jedi exiles.

Some nice stuff with Ajunta Pall, too...and first hand accounts from several Sith. Malak, btw, is confirmed as 'Alek' from the KOTOR comics

A lot of illustrations are VERY well done...aforementioned Palp and Plagueis, Palp and Maul, Mara Jade's funeral (OK, a few complaints on that one...Luke looks too happy in that picture, but Ben and Jacen look great.)

All in all, damn fine guide

Violent2Dope
As a fanboy, I must ask, anything on Nihilus?

Darth Hord
I really can't wait to get this. I go to ask how much was it?

Violent2Dope
I wish to know too, I would like to buy it.

Darth Hord
Originally posted by Violent2Dope
I wish to know too, I would like to buy it.

I know the only problem for is that that barnes and nobles by me seems to be lacking on this type of star wars book, heck i been going there to buy the legacy books yet I had never once saw the Darth Bane:Path of Destruction book there.

0°Mandalore°0
Originally posted by Darth Hord
I know the only problem for is that that barnes and nobles by me seems to be lacking on this type of star wars book, heck i been going there to buy the legacy books yet I had never once saw the Darth Bane:Path of Destruction book there.

But I bought it in there...

Darth Hord

Darth Hord
I honestly think I want this book more than the new legacy novel even thought I will get both.

Gideon
This is the latest addition to the "New Essential Guide" series and it is strictly focused on all subject matter relating to the Force. Furthermore, unlike the previous guides, this one in particular is key on getting perspectives and accounts from multiple individuals; most of them legendary and popular characters ranging from Obi-Wan Kenobi to Luke Skywalker to Darth Revan to Ajunta Pall. This allows for a more diverse collection of perspectives with the in-universe Galactic Alliance Historical committee making a point out of making the guide for knowledge's sake only.

Overall, the guide itself was collected by New Jedi Order historian Tionne Solusar circa 40 A.B.Y (during the Legacy of the Force crisis, specifically after the death of Mara Jade Skywalker) as a means of creating the most objective guide to the Force as possible, including the Jedi and the Sith.

Excellent guide. Answers a lot of questions. The guide also features sections devoted strictly to the Jedi and Sith. The Jedi section was compiled and "narrated" by Tionne. The Sith section is taken from an uberSith device called the Telos Holocron, narrated by Emperor Palpatine circa Dark Empire.

Darth Sexy
Originally posted by Gideon
This is the latest addition to the "New Essential Guide" series and it is strictly focused on all subject matter relating to the Force. Furthermore, unlike the previous guides, this one in particular is key on getting perspectives and accounts from multiple individuals; most of them legendary and popular characters ranging from Obi-Wan Kenobi to Luke Skywalker to Darth Revan to Ajunta Pall. This allows for a more diverse collection of perspectives with the in-universe Galactic Alliance Historical committee making a point out of making the guide for knowledge's sake only.

Overall, the guide itself was collected by New Jedi Order historian Tionne Solusar circa 40 A.B.Y (during the Legacy of the Force crisis, specifically after the death of Mara Jade Skywalker) as a means of creating the most objective guide to the Force as possible, including the Jedi and the Sith.

Excellent guide. Answers a lot of questions. The guide also features sections devoted strictly to the Jedi and Sith. The Jedi section was compiled and "narrated" by Tionne. The Sith section is taken from an uberSith device called the Telos Holocron, narrated by Emperor Palpatine circa Dark Empire.

I think this is the most informative, most descriptive piece of Star Wars literature I have ever read. There are certain problems such as Ajunta Pall carrying a lightsaber without a powerpack, or the fact that Sidious somehow made a holocron while thinking he will live forever, but overall it was excellent. Amazing illustrations.

Gideon
Originally posted by Darth Sexy
I think this is the most informative, most descriptive piece of Star Wars literature I have ever read. There are certain problems such as Ajunta Pall carrying a lightsaber without a powerpack, or the fact that Sidious somehow made a holocron while thinking he will live forever, but overall it was excellent. Amazing illustrations.

Pall probably used an alternative source to power his lightsaber. As for the other complaint, the Emperor did not create the Telos Holocron. He explicitly states that he is merely the "last gatekeeper" and that it was created by an unknown Sith ages upon ages ago. He records some of his own teachings there on the (unlikely, in his mind) event that he should die.

Darth Sexy
Ahhhh ok. Well my concern was with the discrepancies between what the exiled dark jedi used. In GAOTS it showed them using swords and lightsabers. However, a saber didn't need a powerpack a few hundred years after the Great Hyperspace War, so I'm wondering how he has a regular lightsaber and if he does, why they would need to go back to power packs. I took my medicine when I was reading it so I have a lot of specific questions in mind.

Darth Hord
I liked how part of the sith section was told from Sidious's point of view. I just wished they had him give his overall opinion on other sith lords like Revan and Kun. There is a few details about characters I wished they would include but overall it was very good.

Gideon
I liked how part of the sith section was told from Sidious's point of view. I just wished they had him give his overall opinion on other sith lords like Revan and Kun. There is a few details about characters I wished they would include but overall it was very good.

What I find especially interesting is that Sidious is well aware of the events that occurred on Malachor V.

Darth Hord
What I find especially interesting is that Sidious is well aware of the events that occurred on Malachor V. That is interesting, their is so much that could be taken from it, and what he knows of the sith triumvirate and their techniques but it was only one sentence.

I also like the chosen one section and hearing the accounts of Leia's cousin, and others who used to know Anakin. And I like how Sidious calls Vader a "minor masterpiece and would do it all again if he had the chance.

Darth Sexy
My question is, how is Sidious aware of so many historical events? We know a lot of them were either lost in time, or there was nobody to tell the tale, but somehow Sidious knows everything.

Darth Hord
My question is, how is Sidious aware of so many historical events? We know a lot of them were either lost in time, or there was nobody to tell the tale, but somehow Sidious knows everything. It does seem he knows a lot of events most of which came probably be explained by all the holocrons he seems to have access to. But the the Malachor V I'm not that sure on. Since Seviss Vaaa did not of Malachor and he was around about 1000 years before Sidious. Maybe it was mentioned somewhere else in the telos holocron not included in the guide.

Edit: Maybe a gatekeeper could have been around during the destruction of malachor and recorded it.

Gideon
My question is, how is Sidious aware of so many historical events? We know a lot of them were either lost in time, or there was nobody to tell the tale, but somehow Sidious knows everything.

The Telos Holocron proves that most Sith Lords, despite natural egotism and narcissism, did have the presence of mind to accept the possibility of defeat and death, and recorded their most important information on the Holocron just in case. As Sidious says of Naga Sadow, some Sith were "too generous" with their information. Add to the fact that he was the supreme ruler of a galactic superpower with unlimited resources and complete control over historical aspects, I'd say he had the means to investigate just about anything.

Edit: That's correct. Palpatine notes that Seviss Vaa was "not aware of the events of Malachor V" that occured some four thousand years earlier. Implying that he found out about it somewhere else.

Darth Sexy
I wonder how Darth Krayt got a hold of Andeddu's and Nihilus' holocron. Must have raided Palpatine's treasures..

GahLakTus
I like the fact that we get the first look at darth plagueis and how palpatines looks like at a young age, looks similar to tico torres

Gideon
I wonder how Darth Krayt got a hold of Andeddu's and Nihilus' holocron. Must have raided Palpatine's treasures..

It's possible. The afterword is made by Ellu Viss, a Jedi in the Legacy era.

Lightsnake
One thing that interests me:

What happened to the Sith who abandoned the Empire?

Darth Sexy
Which empire?

Lightsnake
Ajunta Pall records some Sith left

Darth Sexy
I was under the impression that some of the dark jedi felt that were strong enough to go back to the republic and defeat the jedi, so they left and they were destroyed.

Gideon
A historian named Kla fellates Ragnos for you, DS. stick out tongue

Darth Sexy
Thank G-d, it's about time Ragnos gets the title of "most uber sith in the SW universe".

Gideon
Thank G-d, it's about time Ragnos gets the title of "most uber sith in the SW universe".

Not quite that far. The most he can hope for is number two.

GahLakTus
What was said about ragnos?

Darth Hord
Originally posted by GahLakTus
What was said about ragnos?

Kla says Ragnos had tremendous power and a frightening frasp of the darkside of the force Throughout a series of short,ruthless campaigns against his enemies, he had risen to prominence claiming the exalted title of dark lord of the sith. Ragnis maintained dominance by ptting his detractors against one another,manipulating them into challenging him or simply assassinating them, During his reign, he was one of the few sith alive who knew of the republic and its defenders,the jedi order. Feared,admired,and obeyed,he ruled the Sith Empire for more than a century. The cause of his death remains unknown,but may have been a result of old age.

Then a little bit later when describing the duel ad ragnos's spirit arrivng Kla says Ragnos was as shrewd as he was cunning......

Melcórë
What I find especially interesting is that Sidious is well aware of the events that occurred on Malachor V.

Knowledge of Malachor V perhaps derives from the knowledge passed on to Bane from Revan's holocron.

Darth Hord

Melcórë
That or the telos holocron which seems more likely to me. Since Revan ha disappeared by the time of the destruction of Malachor.

And as Gideon said

I think a sith lord(a remaining one from revan's empire) could have come into possession and record the events onto it.

I'd prefer to attribute it to Revan, via Bane. stick out tongue

S_W_LeGenD
Not quite that far. The most he can hope for is number two.
I doubt this, though can't deny the possibility of this either.

Some other candidates including Darth Caedus, Darth Bane, Darth Revan, Darth Nihilus and Exar Kun are close contestants for that spot too.

Still one thing is now clear and it is that Marka Ragnos is the most powerful Sith Lord yet known among the ancients.

Though I would like to know some details about Tulak Hord as well, as he was possibly the greatest Light Saber duelist among ancients. And interestingly, his holocron was picked up by none other but redeemed Revan. Though what did he learned from it, I would like to know that as well.

Darth Hord
You know he didn't say Ragnos was rather that is the most he can become.(im inclined to agree with you right now) This is not the place for that discussion. I am disappointed that Tulak Hord was not even mentioned in the book not even once. I also would have liked to hear more about the Sith triumvirate but they barely mentioned them and their special powers/characteristics.

exanda kane
Sounds like a kids book.

kamhal
Kreia seems quite falible as a 3rd-party person. Don't forget that it was her who called Naga Sadow "the greatest sith lord" among the ones of the korriban tombs, even though Marka Ragnos' one was there too... So probably that talk about Tulak Horde was all bullsh*t as well.

Darth Hord
Originally posted by kamhal
Kreia seems quite falible as a 3rd-party person. Don't forget that it was her who called Naga Sadow "the greatest sith lord" among the ones of the korriban tombs, even though Marka Ragnos' one was there too... So probably that talk about Tulak Horde was all bullsh*t as well.

The thing is that we would need to know about his holocron which was highly sought after in kotor one and his lightsabers were mentioned it So kreia may be correct here. I can tell you what it says a little later on tonight or tomorrow so bare with me.

Ultra Omega

It was actually Uthar Wynn who said that.

kamhal
No, I remember she saying that too, when you go to Korriban. As for Uthar I am not sure but I think he only said that Sadow was one of the greatest, not the greatest.

And if I am not wrong kreia said that Tulak's holocron was lost, so she could not base his knowledge on him in something she never saw..

GahLakTus
Originally posted by S_W_LeGenD
I doubt this, though can't deny the possibility of this either.

Some other candidates including Darth Caedus, Darth Bane, Darth Revan, Darth Nihilus and Exar Kun are close contestants for that spot too.
Id agree with your list, except for the fact that all of them on your list are superior to bane in force mastery as off now and so is vader for that matter. Between bane and vader for the moment i would say vader and i will give the final verdict when the new bane novel comes out.

Darth Hord
Kreia said this in regard to Naga Sadow:Ahead lies the tomb of Naga Sadow,successor to Marka Ragnos and the sith lord repsonsible for nearly conquering the Republic in the Great Hyperspace war a millenia ago Then she talks about Revan entering the tomb with Uthar that is it.

Kreia said this about Tulak Hord:This is the tomb of Tulak Hord,known as the greatest lightsaber duelist of the sith lords. His skill was considred remarkable even in his time,when many true lightsaber masters lived.

Then the player can ask her are modern jedi poorly skilled with the lightsaber.

Kreia responds with:If you were to face an ancient sith lord in combat,you would learn that we are as children playing with toys compared to the prowess of the old masters

Then the player asks what made him so good.

Kreia says:that is unknown but it was said he taught his technique in his holocron which has been lost when the new sith order arrived there.

I do not think she was lying when she said tulak was the best of the ancients and his hilocron was sought after in kotor one and was highly valuable so seems to be stating the truth. But saying the ancients were as good as she said they were with lightsabers seems far fetched to me. Yet she did not state that Naga Sadow was the greatest.

Melcórë
Originally posted by GahLakTus
Id agree with your list, except for the fact that all of them on your list are superior to bane in force mastery as off now and so is vader for that matter. Between bane and vader for the moment i would say vader and i will give the final verdict when the new bane novel comes out.

I think we can definitely end that debate. There are many things aside from one's mastery of the Force which must be considered. Only Bane (albeit via the knowledge he gained from Revan) was intelligent enough to realize that only through secrecy and subtle manipulation would the "revenge of the Sith" be fulfilled. All the others on that list (aside, perhaps, from Revan) were brash fools who didn't weigh the pros and cons of their actions.

Darth Hord

S_W_LeGenD
I wouldn't say that they were all brash fools. One of the reasons that Bane could have realized the sith needed to change was by looking at the past. Take Exar Kun for example I would not consider him brash being that he told Ulic not to invade coruscant but he did anyway. Then after rescuing his apprentice he was betrayed and lost the war. Revan was close to conquering the republic before he was betrayed. Then Bane could look at sith lords from the new sith empire who have been betrayed such as Ruin and Rivan. They all had been betrayed by ther apprentices and had some type military or sith acolyte followers. He realized that conventional warfare(sith vs republic and jedi) would not work and has not worked for any sith so far. Krayt had the imperials and Caedus has the alliance military.

And on another note I liked how on page 13 there is a picture of Ajunta Pall alive on Zoist.
It was none other but Revan who managed to convince Darth Bane to rebel against Brotherhood of Darkness and implement reforms that would allow Sith to rise once again after so many years.

After-all! Revan during his reign as the Dark Lord of the Sith managed to form a vast Sith Empire and would eventually defeat and conquer the Republic but his vision was left in the dark due to an unfortunate betrayal. But this goal was later on completed by Darth Sidious.

So Melcore do have a point.

Darth Hord
It was none other but Revan who managed to convince Darth Bane to rebel against Brotherhood of Darkness and implement reforms that would allow Sith to rise once again after so many years.

After-all! Revan during his reign as the Dark Lord of the Sith managed to form a vast Sith Empire and would eventually defeat and conquer the Republic but his vision was left in the dark due to an unfortunate betrayal. But this goal was later on completed by Darth Sidious.

I do agree he has point but I do not think they were all "brash fools" Of the ones he mentioned I would that Kun and Revan are not.(the original list of sith mentioned he was talking about was Revan,Kun,Bane,Caedus, and Nihiulus.) All I said was that he was talking about them as fools for trying to wage a conventional military war against the republic and jedi.(that's how I interpreted it) Revan and Kun could have succeeded if was not for the betrayals of their apprentices. I do not see either of them as brash for a conventional war considering at that point there was not many cases sith betraying their masters.It really took off during the kotor period of the betrayal for the tiltle of dark lord of the sith. I also said Bane could look at the sith during the new sith wars such as Rivan and Ruin who were betrayed to realize the current system didn't work aswell as what Revan taught him. Im not sure if I understand your point legend cause I do ultimately agree with Melcore with the exceptions of Kun and Revan and maybe Caedus.

Melcórë
I wouldn't say that they were all brash fools. One of the reasons that Bane could have realized the sith needed to change was by looking at the past. Take Exar Kun for example I would not consider him brash being that he told Ulic not to invade coruscant but he did anyway. Then after rescuing his apprentice he was betrayed and lost the war. Revan was close to conquering the republic before he was betrayed. Then Bane could look at sith lords from the new sith empire who have been betrayed such as Ruin and Rivan. They all had been betrayed by ther apprentices and had some type military or sith acolyte followers. He realized that conventional warfare(sith vs republic and jedi) would not work and has not worked for any sith so far. Krayt had the imperials and Caedus has the alliance military.

And on another note I liked how on page 13 there is a picture of Ajunta Pall alive on Zoist.

I've never been very sympathetic of Exar's character. From my point-of-view, I can't help but feel that he had many chances to either separate himself from the dark path or to make his reign as Dark Lord of the Sith more successful.

Certainly, what Bane learnt was in reality common sense. But he still needed it to be fully-explained to him; the glimpses he gained of the truth at the Academy would have come to naught if he had not found Revan's holocron and the knowledge with which he could destroy his Sith peers.

BTW: I really dislike "Caedus" and "Krayt." stick out tongue

Well, one could always say that Revan's intent was never the same as the other Sith Lords. KotOR II would seem to suggest that he was primarily concerned with preserving the galaxy from some sort of external threat - something I can only take to mean the Yuuzhan Vong, although Kreia would have us believe he meant she and her compatriots. This was later a secondary-motive behind the Sith plotting, (although it may be an inferrence that only Palpatine had knowledge of the extragalactic threat).

I do agree he has point but I do not think they were all "brash fools" Of the ones he mentioned I would that Kun and Revan are not.(the original list of sith mentioned he was talking about was Revan,Kun,Bane,Caedus, and Nihiulus.) All I said was that he was talking about them as fools for trying to wage a conventional military war against the republic and jedi.(that's how I interpreted it) Revan and Kun could have succeeded if was not for the betrayals of their apprentices. I do not see either of them as brash for a conventional war considering at that point there was not many cases sith betraying their masters.It really took off during the kotor period of the betrayal for the tiltle of dark lord of the sith. I also said Bane could look at the sith during the new sith wars such as Rivan and Ruin who were betrayed to realize the current system didn't work aswell as what Revan taught him. Im not sure if I understand your point legend cause I do ultimately agree with Melcore with the exceptions of Kun and Revan and maybe Caedus.

I didn't necessarily mean it like that. Rather simply, I called them brash fools because they seemed to rush headlong into situations where they'd have been better suited to use manipulation or subtlety. In fact, neither Kun, Caedus nor Nihilus would seem to understand such concepts.

Darth Hord
I understand where you were coming from though I do think Kun was very manipulative as he was able to get his fellow padawns to believe him and to get them to the Yavin only to fully corrupt them. Then only to send them back to slay their masters that was manipulative and certainly an unconventional way to eliminate jedi masters but i agree that Nihilus is definitely not a manipulative or subtle. Caedus how was able to fool the jedi and his own family of his true feelings and motives for a long time then after Mara's funeral I would say his tactics changed.

S_W_LeGenD

kamhal
The "True Sith" concept is something that came out after KOTOR and it was only a "suggestion" from kreia. None the less, the true is that Revan wanted to conquer the Republic as the dark lord of the sith.

Melcórë
I understand where you were coming from though I do think Kun was very manipulative as he was able to get his fellow padawns to believe him and to get them to the Yavin only to fully corrupt them. Then only to send them back to slay their masters that was manipulative and certainly an unconventional way to eliminate jedi masters but i agree that Nihilus is definitely not a manipulative or subtle. Caedus how was able to fool the jedi and his own family of his true feelings and motives for a long time then after Mara's funeral I would say his tactics changed.

True, I will concede that Kun did manage to subvert Jedi.

And what he would do after destroying the True Sith? Rule the galaxy as the DLOTS.

His intention was to conquer the Republic and than exterminate any kind of external threats. It is that simple.

The "True Sith" concept is something that came out after KOTOR and it was only a "suggestion" from kreia. None the less, the true is that Revan wanted to conquer the Republic as the dark lord of the sith.

To clarify, I meant to deny the "True Sith" statement - I've always believed that, if Revan's intentions were as Kreia stated, he meant to protect the galaxy from the Vong. As I said in my earlier post, to go along with this theory, Revan would not be acting out of any evil entent - it would be preventative, in order to maintain stability.

Darth Hord

Melcórë
That just what I've inferred. What other threat could be great enough to warrant his attention? The "True Sith"? Only Kreia, a known lier and manipulater, made referrence to them.

(That being said, her referrence to Revan's intentions would now have to be called into question as well....)

BTW: Off-Topicness is inevitable.
BTW2: He has to have "fallen" just prior to/near the beginning of the Mandalorian Wars, since he was able to go to Dantooine and search out the Ancient Ruins without being apprehended/scolded by the Council....

Darth Sexy
Interesting note though. When Lightsnake said Kun didn't invent the lightsaber and instead got it from the exiles, that is incorrect. I've noticed a lot of c-canon/g-canon contradictions in this new guide and this is one of them. The Exiles were stripped of their lightsabers and weapons before fleeing from republic space, and they didn't have the means nor the necessity of creating lightsabers anymore. So when you see a picture of Pall with his saber, it's not actually accurate and Kun may have very well created the double blade.

Darth Hord
What other contradictions have you seen?

Darth Sexy
There was the original dark jedi contradiction, Odan Ur contradictions, Freedon Nadd contradictions, and Palpatine contradictions. Some of these actually contradict G-Canon. I will go back and post them 1 by 1.

Darth Sexy
I just got done with the entire book and I noticed that the book contradicts ITSELF a LOT. The whole idea of the book was amazing but it's blatantly obvious that the authors completely half assed the writings without researching anything or even rereading their own crap.

Anyways, Ajunta Pall states that they came to sith space without lightsabers and didn't have the means to create them again so they went to sith swords, so the whole thing about Kun having learned from the jedi exiles is pretty much bullshit.

Darth Sexy
While I'm at it I just noticed that the book stated that Bane studied Revan's holocron on Korriban and then destroyed it. Contradiction #8

Darth Sexy
Apparently these authors can't count either because they stated that 1400 years after the hyperspace war, Freedon Nadd sought out sith knowledge. Way to go morons, 600=/=1400.

Count Makashi
As a fanboy of Dooku, is there anything about him?

Count Makashi
So whats cannon then?

If you have two different materials, one is clearly wrong. Which one?

Darth Sexy
In terms of animation and some "forgotten" history, this book pwns. But this book contradicts so much shit its ridiculous.

Darth Sexy
That's the point, there are contradictions in this book that actually contradict earlier entries in the same book.

Darth Hord
Originally posted by Count Makashi
As a fanboy of Dooku, is there anything about him?

There is 2 and quarter pages just about him called "The Conversion of Count Dooku" Which talks about his fall from his point of view.

Count Makashi
That's the point, there are contradictions in this book that actually contradict earlier entries in the same book.

That's retarded, i could understand, contradicting entries from other books, but from the SAME book, That's weak.

Does it realy say in the book, that Fredon Nadd, sought out Sith knowledge 1400 years after the Hperspace war, because that's just stupid. Who are these guys, what were they on crack, when they were writing this book.
About 1000 after the Hperspace war, Exar Kun started his war and Nadd was before Exar.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.