Gerstmann-Gate

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

InnerRise
http://www.joystiq.com/2007/12/05/gamespot-addresses-gerstmann-gate-concerns-in-depth/

Anata Wa Wakarimasu Ka.....

Dusty
?

InnerRise
You're not the only one who feels that way. Everyone wants answers.

Anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

Smasandian
At first, I thought this was huge but afterwords, I'm pretty sure Gamespot did not fire him because of the Kane and Lynch review.

I think they fired him because they were not happy with his attitude and general negativity to all games. It's just a coincidence that the K&L review came out just before he got fired. Why, well because he is an senior editor and its the holiday gaming season.

I dont think Gamespot was paid off by Eidos, or he got fired because of the bad review.

SaTsuJiN
penny-arcade covered this issue as well

http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2007/20071129.jpg

Wandering Flame
Originally posted by InnerRise
http://www.joystiq.com/2007/12/05/gamespot-addresses-gerstmann-gate-concerns-in-depth/

Anata Wa Wakarimasu Ka..... haermm

General Kaliero
Obligatory 8.8 comment.

Bye Jeff! happy

BackFire
Really, I give the guy credit for not giving a game a high score just to appease fans if he doesn't actually feel it deserves it.

Smasandian
General Kaliero, I've been hearing alot about the "obligatory 8.8 comment", I assume its because he gives alot of 8.8's? Or something different?

General Kaliero
Originally posted by Smasandian
General Kaliero, I've been hearing alot about the "obligatory 8.8 comment", I assume its because he gives alot of 8.8's? Or something different?

It's because of the somewhat infamous 8.8 score he gave Twilight Princess, when everyone else gave at least a 9 or higher. Zelda fanatics on the GameSpot boards (and elsewhere) rebelled uproariously at Jeff. The fact he's admitted more than once to hating the Wii and its controls only compounded the fiasco.

I mention it more out of tradition than anything else, as it's become something of a rueful joke whenever Mr. Gerstmann is brought up.

InnerRise
Originally posted by Smasandian
At first, I thought this was huge but afterwords, I'm pretty sure Gamespot did not fire him because of the Kane and Lynch review.

I think they fired him because they were not happy with his attitude and general negativity to all games. It's just a coincidence that the K&L review came out just before he got fired. Why, well because he is an senior editor and its the holiday gaming season.

I dont think Gamespot was paid off by Eidos, or he got fired because of the bad review. I listened to the Hot Spot on Gamestop and not even the other employees know exactly why he got fired............or so they say.........either way I think there's more to this.

Anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

Ushgarak
Originally posted by BackFire
Really, I give the guy credit for not giving a game a high score just to appease fans if he doesn't actually feel it deserves it.

I think the difference here is that K&L isn't exactly doing great, review wise. Not terrible, but really not what was being keyed up for.

So unlike Zelda, where he seemed to be going against the grain almost for the hell of it, here he seems to be doing... what a lot of other people did too.

That's why the accusations of corporate bias have come out, because he was not the only guy trashing it, but he was the only guy trashing it on a site that had received such massive investment from the makers.

Still, Gamespot say that's not why, maybe it isn't- but they did pull the review. So one way or another, his review was not liked. I understand they've put an edited version back but.. you can see why people were suspicious.

I should probably see the review before commenting on it, I guess.

(Incidentally, I hate this recent obsession with playing morally ambiguous characters ("I don't play by anybody's rules... not even my own..."wink and marketing this as somehow being cool or superior, so I am glad the game is getting junked)

(On the other hand... there should be more games with a decent co-op mechanic, so kudos to that bit)

Smasandian
I havnt read the edited version of the review, but I heared it wasnt that much different and still paints the game as being not very good.

And your right, I wish they're were alot more games that had a decent co-op campaign like Gears Of War. I play alot with a friend of mine when I go home to my parents and we've finally beating GoW and started Halo 3, but I think we are going to back to GoW because its really good and a heck alot of fun.

Morridini
Anyone seen the new On The Spot?
http://www.gamespot.com/video/0/6183759/videoplayerpop?

Finally I found out who that Jeff dude was...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.