Beowulf vs

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

braz
Original Beowulf from the epic poem.

He gets his sword, spear, shield and armor. All of which he didnt need to defeat Grendel.

1. Maximus and King Leonidas

2. 10 Sea Serpents(monsters)

3. 300

4. 500 Vikings

5. Batman-recent Frank Miller/Jim Lee series

6. Captain America- Civil War

7. Wolverine- last series w/ Sabretooth

8. Venom- classic Brock

Gecko4lif
Beowulf is a beast

He clears

Barbarian Shams
I think he stops at the original Venom.

srankmissingnin
Stops at Sabretooth

Gecko4lif
Beowulf is a monster

He is a class 30 with a sword that can cut thru anything except himself (think a double powered ebony blade combined with mjolnir minus the projectile powers)
He is super durable and has super speed
AND he is a beast of a fighter

The Fake Macoy
He'll either stop at Venom or clear, it depends if he gets any fire on Venom and where they're fighting.

braz
Originally posted by The Fake Macoy
He'll either stop at Venom or clear, it depends if he gets any fire on Venom and where they're fighting.

Beowulf picks up Brock and tosses him into the mouth of a dragon. laughing out loud

braz
Originally posted by Gecko4lif
Beowulf is a monster

He is a class 30 with a sword that can cut thru anything except himself (think a double powered ebony blade combined with mjolnir minus the projectile powers)
He is super durable and has super speed
AND he is a beast of a fighter

Where did u get this? I may be wrong but I think ur mistaken. Beowulf isnt a class 30, but instead has the strength of 30 men. Thats what it says in the poem anyways. Im not sure on his durability, it just says he was able to hang with Grendel for awhile in the mead hall, which Imo would say something, and yeah hes Alot more quicker and agile than the normal man.

MightyEInherjar
roll eyes (sarcastic)

Stops at the 300. If not then (which he would), then the 500 vikings.

braz
I think Beowulf could take out the 300. He'd jump and dive right in the middle of the phalanx which is facing in one direction, and cut em down there. But if they fight man to man, Beowulf would still whoop ass. He'd be cutting the Spartan shields and weapons to bits with his strength all while doing the same to them. And hes quite durable too, so he could last a good while against them.

MightyEInherjar
Originally posted by braz
I think Beowulf could take out the 300. He'd jump and dive right in the middle of the phalanx which is facing in one direction, and cut em down there. But if they fight man to man, Beowulf would still whoop ass. He'd be cutting the Spartan shields and weapons to bits with his strength all while doing the same to them. And hes quite durable too, so he could last a good while against them.

So, say he jumps into the phalanx...he's facing at least 20 spears in the jump alone. Say 3 hit, which they would, and puncture his skin. That's already damage on him before he gets to swing his sword. Once he lands he's facing an immediate threat of at least:

- 5 Spartans, sword and shield
- 20 Spartans, all with spears trained on his lightly armored skin

Say he kills all those people, and only 3 guys hit again. That's still 6 punctures/slashes on Beowulf, while the 300 has yet to lose even 10% of their men.

I'd dare say its' ridiculous to think Beowulf (written) could hope to take on a group of 300 well armed spear/swordsman of any type and still come out alive.

iceman24567
He loses at 300 he just isn't fast enough or strong enough for those numbers. Spartans are highly skilled fighters after killing the first 50 if he could they would adapt to his technique he doesn't have that advantage as far as trial and error is concerned one error and hes dead.

braz
Originally posted by iceman24567
He loses at 300 he just isn't fast enough or strong enough for those numbers. Spartans are highly skilled fighters after killing the first 50 if he could they would adapt to his technique he doesn't have that advantage as far as trial and error is concerned one error and hes dead.

Yes, he is. Fast and strong enough that is. And his armor will take the brunt of what the Spartans can dish out on him. He's able to leap and is strong enough to cut a sea monster wide open all the way down killing it. I dont think 300 Spartans could even take 1 or 2 sea monsters. He killed 9. He'd get in the middle of the Spartans, and cut their weapons and shields to bits of whichever Spartans advanced first. Kill them and go from there.

iceman24567
Yes, he is. Fast and strong enough that is. And his armor will take the brunt of what the Spartans can dish out on him. He's able to leap and is strong enough to cut a sea monster wide open all the way down killing it. I dont think 300 Spartans could even take 1 or 2 sea monsters. He killed 9. He'd get in the middle of the Spartans, and cut their weapons and shields to bits of whichever Spartans advanced first. Kill them and go from there. Well i don't think he is fast or strong enough and 300 spartans can kill 9 sea monsters ever heard of a spear? 1 spear took out and Elephant mind you it was a lot bigger than our elephants im sure a couple dozen spears can kill a sea monster. I think he can put down some spartans but 300 is way to much for him.

MightyEInherjar
Yes, he is. Fast and strong enough that is. And his armor will take the brunt of what the Spartans can dish out on him. He's able to leap and is strong enough to cut a sea monster wide open all the way down killing it. I dont think 300 Spartans could even take 1 or 2 sea monsters. He killed 9. He'd get in the middle of the Spartans, and cut their weapons and shields to bits of whichever Spartans advanced first. Kill them and go from there.

So when and where did Beowulf do this 9 sea monster bit in the poem? Hmm?

You seriously have no concept the armor that is available to Beowulf in this time period. You've completely trashed your credibility for this argument...

300 Spartans, 10/10.

srankmissingnin
He cut a dragon in half with a dagger, he should take the 300.

Kutulu
Originally posted by MightyEInherjar
roll eyes (sarcastic)

Stops at the 300. If not then (which he would), then the 500 vikings.

^^ Co-signed. Stops at 300. These aren't just regular men either, each and every one is combat trained through fighting their entire life, some of which also have experience fighting mystical beasts.

They aren't going to all just stand there and let him cut through them, they will use strategy and even though many of them would die, Beowulf would be taking much damage through the battle.

braz
So when and where did Beowulf do this 9 sea monster bit in the poem? Hmm?

You seriously have no concept the armor that is available to Beowulf in this time period. You've completely trashed your credibility for this argument...

300 Spartans, 10/10.

blink

It says it in the poem that he killed 9, and it also mentions that he has lots of armor as well. Go read it.

braz
Well i don't think he is fast or strong enough and 300 spartans can kill 9 sea monsters ever heard of a spear? 1 spear took out and Elephant mind you it was a lot bigger than our elephants im sure a couple dozen spears can kill a sea monster. I think he can put down some spartans but 300 is way to much for him.

Sea monsters are even bigger dude, theyre like 100 feet in length, at least. And they have scaley hides that protect them very well. Beowulf was able to leap about 30 feet to the next sea monster and mid air and cut it open all the way down and spill its guts into the sea. I think the Spartans could maybe take out 2 at best, but theyd eventually all get eaten, theyre not as quick or strong as Beowulf.

Kutulu
Sea monsters are even bigger dude, theyre like 100 feet in length, at least. And they have scaley hides that protect them very well. Beowulf was able to leap about 30 feet to the next sea monster and mid air and cut it open all the way down and spill its guts into the sea. I think the Spartans could maybe take out 2 at best, but theyd eventually all get eaten, theyre not as quick or strong as Beowulf.

You are severely underrating the Spartans from 300 here.

celestialdemon
He stops at the 300.

MightyEInherjar
blink

It says it in the poem that he killed 9, and it also mentions that he has lots of armor as well. Go read it.

I'm sorry, and what type of armor was that?

Chainmail.

What is chainmail next to useless against?

Spears.

braz
I'm sorry, and what type of armor was that?

Chainmail.

What is chainmail next to useless against?

Spears.

He also had a breastplate and helmet too dude, the chainmail just went under that.

MightyEInherjar
He also had a breastplate and helmet too dude, the chainmail just went under that.

What are you even talking about? No one used breastplates in Scandinavia until the High Middle Ages...

braz
What are you even talking about? No one used breastplates in Scandinavia until the High Middle Ages...

What? Dude, the Spartans had breastplates and they were a whole freakin millenium before them.

MightyEInherjar
What? Dude, the Spartans had breastplates and they were a whole freakin millenium before them.

What does that have to do with Scandinavia?

braz
What does that have to do with Scandinavia?

Nothing I guess, I would just suppose that because Sparta had them, that maybe Scandanavia would too. I mean, armor was all relatively the same back then, right? And if someone had some kind of armor that was superior, then they would adpot that as well. Especially if theyre an entire millenium behind them with something better and live in the same continent as well so they would know about it. Btw, how do you know this?

Burning thought
Nothing I guess, I would just suppose that because Sparta had them, that maybe Scandanavia would too. I mean, armor was all relatively the same back then, right? And if someone had some kind of armor that was superior, then they would adpot that as well. Especially if theyre an entire millenium behind them with something better and live in the same continent as well so they would know about it. Btw, how do you know this?

terrible logic, jsut because someone else has a type of armour, all medieval factions and races would have it? what sillyness.....

you have to take fighting style, for example the scottish rarely used armour, they took the fast and berserking approach or thats what some of their famous acts are, i heard 1 berserker in real life killed a good few hundred soldiers on a bridge and was only defeaten when men went under the bridge and sliced his feet, some good that armour does them though..

but the moral is, its not all armour, and second, just because a race uses it, doesnt mean all races use it, how much better protection is can also be a point of view

braz
Originally posted by Burning thought
terrible logic, jsut because someone else has a type of armour, all medieval factions and races would have it? what sillyness.....

you have to take fighting style, for example the scottish rarely used armour, they took the fast and berserking approach or thats what some of their famous acts are, i heard 1 berserker in real life killed a good few hundred soldiers on a bridge and was only defeaten when men went under the bridge and sliced his feet, some good that armour does them though..

but the moral is, its not all armour, and second, just because a race uses it, doesnt mean all races use it, how much better protection is can also be a point of view

Yeah, ok. I understand that. But basically what ur saying is Scandinavians have never fought people with spears? Because long spears can pierce chainmail alone and thats all they had, apparently. Terrible logic, what silliness, on a helpless effort trying to make me feel dumb. roll eyes (sarcastic) laughing

GGS
Yeah, ok. I understand that. But basically what ur saying is Scandinavians have never fought people with spears? Because long spears can pierce chainmail alone and thats all they had, apparently. Terrible logic, what silliness, on a helpless effort trying to make me feel dumb. roll eyes (sarcastic) laughing

Did people in India fight people with guns before the English??? Did the Romans ever encounter war elephants before Hannibal?

Explain to me also why the Japanese Katana was not found all over the world? The Arabic Saif or the Aztec Macuahuitl??? Why weren't all those weapons found in other countries widely????

Your logic is fail because the fact of the matter is each civilisation had their own weapons different from each other because they had different needs, tactics and enemies, Just because Greeks fought with spears does not there fore justify that Scandinavians also did otherwise with your logic heres an example: the Celts would of had chainmail instead of kilts and catapults because the Romans used them. roll eyes (sarcastic) Didn't quite happen though did it.

Beowulf is going down hard and fast against the 300.

braz
Originally posted by GGS
Did people in India fight people with guns before the English??? Did the Romans ever encounter war elephants before Hannibal?

Explain to me also why the Japanese Katana was not found all over the world? The Arabic Saif or the Aztec Macuahuitl??? Why weren't all those weapons found in other countries widely????

Your logic is fail because the fact of the matter is each civilisation had their own weapons different from each other because they had different needs, tactics and enemies, Just because Greeks fought with spears does not there fore justify that Scandinavians also did otherwise with your logic heres an example: the Celts would of had chainmail instead of kilts and catapults because the Romans used them. roll eyes (sarcastic) Didn't quite happen though did it.

Beowulf is going down hard and fast against the 300.

Okay, I just thought everyone around the world used spearmen, I thought that was quite general in ancient warfare. Sorry. And they even mentioned in the poem that the Geats were carrying swords, shields and spears as weapons. So that would lead me to believe they fight people likewise.

braz
Beowulf would die at the 300, ok. Im overrating Beowulf here a little. And the Spartans underrating ALOT. But he would still kill a good little handful of them because of the mere fact that they wont expect much from him since hes one man, but then he'll start cutting throught their shields and weapons and killing some of them. But thats when the Spartans just overwhelm him.

iceman24567
Beowulf would die at the 300, ok. Im overrating Beowulf here a little. And the Spartans underrating ALOT. But he would still kill a good little handful of them because of the mere fact that they wont expect much from him since hes one man, but then he'll start cutting throught their shields and weapons and killing some of them. But thats when the Spartans just overwhelm him. Good man like i said in my first post im sure he could kill at the most 50 then he loses from there the numbers are overwhelming.

braz
Good man like i said in my first post im sure he could kill at the most 50 then he loses from there the numbers are overwhelming.

Agreed, 50 would definitely be the most he could take out. I was just overrating Beowulf and I kinda got carried away by that 1 guys post. I mean, Beowulf may be superhuman, but hes still a man, only human and he is mortal.

MightyEInherjar

How do I know this?

I'm currently pursing a major in Northern European History in college right now. My family is all from Denmark, and I'm a part time instructor for ARMA/HACA (Association of Renaissance Martial Arts.) Not to be a dick, as I was probably coming off, but it's my job to know this. I'm a swordfighter for sport and profession.

You bring up a reasonable point...Scandinavian countries, as well as most of the other countries in the dark/viking ages fought with spears mainly because they were easy to fashion and metal was a commodity. Scandinavian was known for having inferior iron deposits, which is one arguable they resorted to chainmail (it's easier to make a strong suit by picking out all the good parts of a bad ore than it is to make the entire bit of metal into a faulty piece) and pattern welding for their swords.

You have to remember that during this time period, most cultures (especially Scandinavian cultures like the Jutes, Geats, and Danes) did not have access to the technology or resources to create the type of armor you're imagining. In short, they didn't create it because they didn't know they could...chainmail itself was even a rare and valuable thing to get a hold of.

Originally posted by Burning thought

The "berserk" you're thinking of wasn't a Scot at all. Sure enough, he was a Scandinavian, Beowulf and Hrothgar's people, holding off the Saxons at the Battle of Stanford bridge while King Harald's men retreated.

(auto quote)

Right on.

Being raised in Danish culture (non-christian at that), I'm tremendous fan of Beowulf, and I'd totally love him to trash the 300 and his countrymen up and down Midgard, but thing is he won't.

Heh, you're mixing up coolness factor with reality.

Kutulu
How do I know this?

I'm currently pursing a major in Northern European History in college right now. My family is all from Denmark, and I'm a part time instructor for ARMA/HACA (Association of Renaissance Martial Arts.) Not to be a dick, as I was probably coming off, but it's my job to know this. I'm a swordfighter for sport and profession.

You bring up a reasonable point...Scandinavian countries, as well as most of the other countries in the dark/viking ages fought with spears mainly because they were easy to fashion and metal was a commodity. Scandinavian was known for having inferior iron deposits, which is one arguable they resorted to chainmail (it's easier to make a strong suit by picking out all the good parts of a bad ore than it is to make the entire bit of metal into a faulty piece) and pattern welding for their swords.

You have to remember that during this time period, most cultures (especially Scandinavian cultures like the Jutes, Geats, and Danes) did not have access to the technology or resources to create the type of armor you're imagining. In short, they didn't create it because they didn't know they could...chainmail itself was even a rare and valuable thing to get a hold of.

The "berserk" you're thinking of wasn't a Scot at all. Sure enough, he was a Scandinavian, Beowulf and Hrothgar's people, holding off the Saxons at the Battle of Stanford bridge while King Harald's men retreated.

Agreed, 50 would definitely be the most he could take out. I was just overrating Beowulf and I kinda got carried away by that 1 guys post. I mean, Beowulf may be superhuman, but hes still a man, only human and he is mortal.

Right on.

Being raised in Danish culture (non-christian at that), I'm tremendous fan of Beowulf, and I'd totally love him to trash the 300 and his countrymen up and down Midgard, but thing is he won't.

Excellent post, you really did your homework. big grin

braz
How do I know this?

Hmm, thats very interesing. I mean, really. Hats off to ya. And dont worry about that. But because Beowulf is fiction, do you think they couldve had iron deposits that werent inferior, I mean because in the movie he has a breastplate.
Also, what exactly is pattern welding, did they do that to their spears as well? So like would all of Beowulfs weapons all be inferior compared to other weapons/armor around the world, or no? And did the Scandinavians have long spears like the Greeks or like short javelins similar to that of the Persians or light skirmishers? WHat were their shields like as well?

Right on.

Yeah, I guess I was. Lol, Im into both though really. Spartans and Beowulf. I just think ancient warfare in general is quite fascinating.

MightyEInherjar
Hmm, thats very interesing. I mean, really. Hats off to ya. And dont worry about that. But because Beowulf is fiction, do you think they couldve had iron deposits that werent inferior, I mean because in the movie he has a breastplate.
Also, what exactly is pattern welding, did they do that to their spears as well? So like would all of Beowulfs weapons all be inferior compared to other weapons/armor around the world, or no? And did the Scandinavians have long spears like the Greeks or like short javelins similar to that of the Persians or light skirmishers? WHat were their shields like as well?

Yeah, I guess I was. Lol, Im into both though really. Spartans and Beowulf. I just think ancient warfare in general is quite fascinating.

First off, if you include Beowulf's appearances in films, he would also get a giant repeating crossbow with exploding bolts... stick out tongue

Pattern welding is pretty much an attempt at turning horrible quality iron into high quality weapons. Depending on the swordsmith, the welder would used different pieces of metal (or in the viking's case, bars of metal) and twist them or heat them until they all formed together into a quality sword. It just so happens that this process ended up being superior to most the other smithing techniques in Europe. The resulting weapon extremely strong, but in turn was not easy to sharpen.

As far as I know, spears were not pattern welded like the swords were. Swords and armor were a rarity in Scandinavia, usually reserved for jarls (chieftains) and their huscarls (the "house" warriors), so many men didn't have the opportunity to own these unless they picked it up off the battlefield. What most viking/scandinavian warriors used for armor was called Lamellar, which is basically just overlapping boiled leather scales lain over top of one-a-nother.

In Beowulfs' case, he was a wealthy chieftan's son, and in turn had access chainmail, swords, a helmet, and a shield...which is about the best outfitted you come by in his time period and location. His men were essentially his private soldiers ("thranes" like you might have heard in the movie, which is pretty much a free man who owns a bit of land) and played the same role as huscarls, and would have been just as well outfitted as he was.

As far as spears go, most civilizations all around the world had spears ranging from the short Assegai one handed spears of the Zulu's to 21' long awle pikes in (at the time) the Holy Roman Empire. The Scandinavian people, like most other culture, favored spears for reasons already mentioned in a previous post.

The shields were mostly made of linden wood with an iron boss in the center. An iron rim went around the edge of the shields to better hold the pieces of wood in place, and to help prevent a sword from cleaving through it. The shields were typically all round, and were anywhere from 24 - 32 inches in diameter. A shield typically only lasted a Scandinavian/viking warrior about 3 battles before taking enough damage to render it unusable.

A thing you have to remember is that most northern countries' armies did not have any sort of uniform armament in this time period. Warriors would grab whatever they could build, steal, or buy. This is yet another reason spears and especially axes were used in dark/viking age conflicts. They were easy to make, easy to use, and proved to be some of the most dangerous weapons on the battlefield.

braz
First off, if you include Beowulf's appearances in films, he would also get a giant repeating crossbow with exploding bolts... stick out tongue

Pattern welding is pretty much an attempt at turning horrible quality iron into high quality weapons. Depending on the swordsmith, the welder would used different pieces of metal (or in the viking's case, bars of metal) and twist them or heat them until they all formed together into a quality sword. It just so happens that this process ended up being superior to most the other smithing techniques in Europe. The resulting weapon extremely strong, but in turn was not easy to sharpen.

As far as I know, spears were not pattern welded like the swords were. Swords and armor were a rarity in Scandinavia, usually reserved for jarls (chieftains) and their huscarls (the "house" warriors), so many men didn't have the opportunity to own these unless they picked it up off the battlefield. What most viking/scandinavian warriors used for armor was called Lamellar, which is basically just overlapping boiled leather scales lain over top of one-a-nother.

In Beowulfs' case, he was a wealthy chieftan's son, and in turn had access chainmail, swords, a helmet, and a shield...which is about the best outfitted you come by in his time period and location. His men were essentially his private soldiers ("thranes" like you might have heard in the movie, which is pretty much a free man who owns a bit of land) and played the same role as huscarls, and would have been just as well outfitted as he was.

As far as spears go, most civilizations all around the world had spears ranging from the short Assegai one handed spears of the Zulu's to 21' long awle pikes in (at the time) the Holy Roman Empire. The Scandinavian people, like most other culture, favored spears for reasons already mentioned in a previous post.

The shields were mostly made of linden wood with an iron boss in the center. An iron rim went around the edge of the shields to better hold the pieces of wood in place, and to help prevent a sword from cleaving through it. The shields were typically all round, and were anywhere from 24 - 32 inches in diameter. A shield typically only lasted a Scandinavian/viking warrior about 3 battles before taking enough damage to render it unusable.

A thing you have to remember is that most northern countries' armies did not have any sort of uniform armament in this time period. Warriors would grab whatever they could build, steal, or buy. This is yet another reason spears and especially axes were used in dark/viking age conflicts. They were easy to make, easy to use, and proved to be some of the most dangerous weapons on the battlefield.

no expression Damn. Thanks man, that helps. Really, but the thing about the Scandinavian spears, what was the length range of them that the Anglo-Saxons had they fought around that time?

Captain REX
Beowulf is a beast, but I don't think he would get past the 300. We haven't seen much of him doing anything except 1-on-1, either...

Grendel, however, could probably bypass the 300, as is not damaged by blades.

MightyEInherjar
no expression Damn. Thanks man, that helps. Really, but the thing about the Scandinavian spears, what was the length range of them that the Anglo-Saxons had they fought around that time?

Pretty much anything they could get their hands on. Scandinavia may have not had good metal resources, but they had an abundance of good ash and oak wood to make spears out of.

For the most part, they'd be about as long as you mentioned (8' or so) depending on how they were using it. Most only fought with their spears for a short while before throwing it, while some just threw their spears before the lines met.

Most Germanic/Scandinavian armies had only two principle formations: the Shield Wall, and the Boar's Snout.

The shield wall was about how you would imagine; the men would all stand in a line with their shields locked together, forming a "wall." Given that the shield sizes were not uniformed, the formation wasn't as precise as anything the Mediterranean countries used in combat. In a shield wall, shorter weapons were preferred to allow plenty of mobility for getting around the opposing forces shields. Thus, most spears didn't stay in the hands of men much after the initial skirmish.

The Boar's Snout, on the other hand, was pretty much an "anti-formation." It was the medieval equivalent to the modern wedge formation. Essentially, the strongest warrior would lead the charge (in Beowulf's case, he would be that man) followed by the next strongest behind him. The idea was to pierce the the shield wall in the same way an ax pierces through wood. In these conflicts, missile weapons were lobbed before the actual hand to hand combat took place. This would usually by thrown axes or spears.

braz
^Hm, so they kinda pretty much combined tactics that both Rome(wedge and spear throw) and Greece(phalanx aka 'shield wall') had before them. Interesting.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.