Bruno: Borat sequel

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Discos

jaden101
not exactly a borat sequel though is it...

T.M
I wont be seeing it.

Toku King
Is it by the same guys that wrote and directed the first one? If so, then yes.

jaden101
well that would assume that bruno is a funny character...he's not.

Discos
Originally posted by jaden101
not exactly a borat sequel though is it...

No it aint, I couldnt fit the whole title in the topic and this would get more reads than simply putting "Bruno"

NASA
Ali G>Borat>Bruno IMHO

JediSamuraiMRB
I'll see it. I hope its funny.

exanda kane
Ali G, back in the day on Channel 4 was legendary.

Discos
yeah the show was pretty insane.

I'll see it, of course its going to be a pile of sheet but thats what I love, lame comedy.

BackFire
As has been said, Bruno is probably the least amusing of his three characters.

That said, I'll probably see it.

Discos
yeah his sketches felt too similar to Borat. I think they have the same job?

I'll definatly be seeing it, not going to go overboard and cancel plans for it but if its out and I'm bored I'll see it. I'll most likely be as satisfied as I was with Borat.

Saw it once in the cinema, then watched it again on TV about 3 weeks ago....that will do for the next 7months

Neo_Version 7
I've watched most of Bruno's material and I have to say his actual questions posed to interviewees aren't particularly amusing but I tend to enjoy the reactions they give him. (Moreso than any other of his Sacha's characters)

Guess we'll have to see what he has in store next year.

Discos
No idea when it'll come out next year...probably summer.

WrathfulDwarf
Sacha Baron Cohen is just friggin hack! Nearly all his ideas are similar to Andy Kaufman's characters. Except Cohen makes them more like bigots to shock so that the audience reponse is "Oooh....he went there" Yeah, right! Andy went there and back moreso and it's a shame new generations don't see much of Andy.

Kaufman>>>>Cohen.

Cohen original? My ass is more original. And that's the double truth!

Discos
Calm down dude, Kauffman was a geniuse but it got repetitive, Cohen is not original and his stuff is far too reptitive, but it works.

When did Cohen claim to be original?

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by Discos
Calm down dude, Kauffman was a geniuse but it got repetitive, Cohen is not original and his stuff is far too reptitive, but it works.

When did Cohen claim to be original?

Oh Discos! My tone maybe high but I'm as calm and relax like a sloth hanging from a tree.

It's not Cohen who makes the claim. It's some of his fans that make the claim. I've should have pointed that out earlier.

Discos
haha sorry dude, thought you were ranting.

Cohen is good for entertainment, me and my buddies never grow tried of quoting his movies.

Impediment
I've never seen Borat, and I never will. Ali G is utterly moronic, and I really never cared for any of Cohen's movies/roles.

I wont be seeing this, either.

jaden101
borat the movie was reasonably funny but most of it had been done not just by others before...but by cohen himself for the past 12 years

and while the mechanism is the same as other comedian's...we live in a different social climate with different prejudices to exploit for comedy

personally i think louis theroux does it better...and dennis pennis also

exanda kane
Yet again I will state that Ali G (the character) was fantastic, but only if you knew the UK in the late 90's.

chillmeistergen
I absolutely loved the old Ali G on television. Utter brilliance.

Bruno's a fairly poor character, but I'll give it a watch, though I'm not going to watch it expecting genius.

Losty
cant wait for this

Discos
Originally posted by exanda kane
Yet again I will state that Ali G (the character) was fantastic, but only if you knew the UK in the late 90's.

spot on dude, thats roughly when I started doing political studies at school, very elementary stuff tho but you could tell Britain is a shit hole.

Ali G In Da House was one of the first DVDs I bought, I went to see it in the cinema with my mum and dad....if they found it funny but "full of shite" then I guess it did it's job.

haha classic quote which still keeps me laughing

Ali G: "they are gonna build over stains"
Copper: "So?...it's a shit hole anyway"
Ali G: "...oh nips"

H. S. 6
(Ali G = Borat) > Bruno

Borat (from the show) > Borat (movie)

Therefore, Bruno (movie) < Bruno (show) < Ali G, Borat.

That settles it.

Discos
confused ...ok professor.

Discos
Thought I would give this thing a bump... cant believe its been nearly a year since my last post.

well anyways they have changed the title of the movie to simply:

"Bruno"

set for a release date in 2009, here is the wikipedia page for it dudes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Br%C3%BCno_(film)

Ballocks all about the plot still, except he is hosting his show in the states.

Sucks we have to wait til early summer 2009 to see the movie.

Bwa Ha Ha
May 15th 2009 is the date they have now....

And obciously he's been planning some pretty outrageous stuff, crashing fashion shows and such....

Discos
should be another huge hit, I still cant get over how massive Borat was,

Ya Krunk'd Floo
The Bruno sketch with the frat boys wrestling on the beach is hilarious.

Here's the end result, but have a look around for the whole segment:

xhP0tOm6yt0

Bwa Ha Ha
LOL I love that 'sketch'.... Maybe interview would work out better, seeing as none of these are planned, which makes them so bloody hilarious to start with.

Kazenji
The gay community here wants this movie banned.

C. C. Cowgirl!
Looks like it sucks.

lord xyz
I've just seen Bruno, and can give my honest thoughts.

It starts off with Bruno messing up at his fasion show, and being "aus". Therefore he needs to find a way to get famous, just like Borat wanted Pamela and Ali G wanted to stop the Chancellor.

Unfortunately, there are uncanny resemblances to his Borat and Ali G character. Clumsy awkward scenes and making fun of celebrities, but has a gay approach to them, which Ali G and Borat would never do.

Going to LA, trying to sort out Palastine/Israel, adopting a black child like Madonna etc. are all ways in getting famous and offending people to an outrageous level.

He even meatspins the cinema and caused people in the movie to faint or feel sick.

His side-kick isn't Azamat but a gay guy called Luntz, who acts like Azamat, but he's gay and more bitchy than brutish. Of course they fall out.

Towards the end, Bruno finds he can only be famous if he's straight, so finds hilarious ways of being straight, including going to a swingers party.

And I absolutely won't spoil the ending as it's the best ending to a comedy ever!

All in all, I don't expect it to surpass Borat, and the character is the weakest of the 3, but this is still a great film and will make one eye cringe and the other cry from laughing.

BackFire
The movie was funny, but was missing the humor, originality and intelligence of Borat. Also Bruno is simply a much weaker character than Borat, missing Borat's ignorant sweetness.

jinXed by JaNx
Backfire is right. Bruno is better in short doses. Although, i thought the same thing about Borat. From the Ali G show i never thought any of the characters were strong enough for a feature length movie. I was surprised and proven wrong with Borat which is why i was looking forward to Bruno.

I watched Bruno with a few friends earlier today and we all agree that the movie was pretty damn boring. We were trying to figure out why much of the humor fell flat because many of the scenarios were full of potential. I think the problem is that Bruno is to overly scripted. The sharp editing helps you realize just how scripted the scenarios are. Unlike Borat there were scenes where you weren't sure if what you were watching was genuine or not. In Bruno it's all to easy to see the forced reactions from people and some of the scenarios, although funny in theory just come off as contrived.

Many people will find this movie very funny and rightfully so but for me i felt a bit cheated. For a movie that was inspired by the unscripted formula i found myself wondering what the filmmakers wanted to accomplish. It seemed that Sacha Baron stopped trying to make a point and started trying to force racist reactions for shock value alone. It almost felt like i was watching a smart jackass.

SnakeEyes
Originally posted by BackFire
The movie was funny, but was missing the humor, originality and intelligence of Borat. Also Bruno is simply a much weaker character than Borat, missing Borat's ignorant sweetness.

Yep, I agree.

Saw Bruno the other night with some friends. It seemed to go for mostly shock value as opposed to satire, although it did have a few elements of the latter. I think this is a movie that people, if they're going to see it, should see in a packed theater; the audience reaction is one of the best parts about this film. I'd feel weird watching this alone in my room, unlike Borat, which I can just throw in the dvd player and enjoy whenever.

Myth
Very funny movie, but it is harder to relate to Bruno than it was Borat, making it more 1-dimensional than Borat. Still, I was near tears in laughter a couple of times, and laughed consistently throughout the movie.

Btw, I am scared to see what was edited out in order to make it rated R, because that was the most vulgar R rated movie I have ever seen.

lord xyz
I think the differences is Borat seemed like a more genuine character. Examples are throwing dollars at cockroaches thinking they were jews, carrying the shit bag into the dining room, and the NOOOOOT jokes.

Bruno, however, actually makes you sympathise with him. Borat just made a joke whenever something bad happened, but Bruno felt genuinely sad.

BruceSkywalker
saw this and laughed a lot, but Borat is way better

Myth
Originally posted by lord xyz
I think the differences is Borat seemed like a more genuine character. Examples are throwing dollars at cockroaches thinking they were jews, carrying the shit bag into the dining room, and the NOOOOOT jokes.

Bruno, however, actually makes you sympathise with him. Borat just made a joke whenever something bad happened, but Bruno felt genuinely sad.

I actually sympathized more with Borat. Borat's belief that he was on a quest for love was easier to relate to for me than Bruno's quest to be famous.

lord xyz
Originally posted by Myth
I actually sympathized more with Borat. Borat's belief that he was on a quest for love was easier to relate to for me than Bruno's quest to be famous. Pamela, I don't love you anymore. NOOT.

Though, his message that chasing after love will make you not see it when it's staring you in the face, was pretty cool.

But Bruno kissing Luntz in that ring with Titanic playing was fantastic.

MildPossession
Here in the UK, we got the normal version, but they are now also releasing an edited 15 rating version for more kids to see it...

Discos
wow i started this thread in 2007, took ages for the movie to get out!

well went to see it yesterday, it was pretty shockin to be honest, but you already know how far he is goin to go after seein Borat. I really wish I could go back and watch Borat again for the first time. awesome.

stupid red neck americans and their homophobia. The gay scenes in it are OTT in my opinion. the man has no shame

MildPossession
I found it a bore for the most part.

I don't find it shocking or pushing boundaries at all, I'm not of big knowledge when it comes to film laws, but to release this film, don't the film makers have to get everyone who appeared on screen to sign an agreement to show they are happy with letting the world see them in this film?

Plus releasing a 15 certificate edited version seems to me as horrible self censoring just to make more money because of kids wanting to see it... I presume Cohen would have a big say in agreeing to release an edited version.

jinXed by JaNx
Originally posted by MildPossession
I found it a bore for the most part.

I don't find it shocking or pushing boundaries at all, I'm not of big knowledge when it comes to film laws, but to release this film, don't the film makers have to get everyone who appeared on screen to sign an agreement to show they are happy with letting the world see them in this film?

Plus releasing a 15 certificate edited version seems to me as horrible self censoring just to make more money because of kids wanting to see it... I presume Cohen would have a big say in agreeing to release an edited version.

wow, doesnt it defeat the purpose of the movie to release an edited version? This isn't one of those movies that is made mature simply for the language or a few scenes. It seems very contradicting for Baron to agree to this if he did.

MildPossession
I don't know about around the world, but here in Britain cinemas are putting out a 15 certificate version called Bruno: Snipped.

Robtard
Movie was pretty much shit, had a few 'ha-ha' moments, but failed all in all.

Fool should have just done a second Borat movie, much more likable and 'real' character.

Selphie
Made a huge mistake by seeing this with my dad *facepalm*

But I liked it, was good for a laugh

Myth
Originally posted by Selphie
Made a huge mistake by seeing this with my dad *facepalm*

laughing out loud

Although, my dad would have loved watching this. My mom on the other hand.....

Selphie
Originally posted by Myth
laughing out loud

Although, my dad would have loved watching this. My mom on the other hand.....

Hah, it's quite the opposite for my family. My mom would have been laughing her ass off, while my dad's the more conservative one

he enjoyed it too, but I could tell he was too awkwarded out with all the penises....

lord xyz
Originally posted by Selphie
Hah, it's quite the opposite for my family. My mom would have been laughing her ass off, while my dad's the more conservative one

he enjoyed it too, but I could tell he was too awkwarded out with all the penises.... I watched it with my dad and two brothers.

The penis scenes were that much more awkward.

Dr Will Hatch
I never thought Borat was a great movie like everyone else did, but I enjoyed Bruno just as much as that film. To the people who think Bruno is less sympathetic, I say bollacks. Both characters are so out of touch and alien that it's impossible to relate to either one. And whether he stages scenes or not is besides the point. The message of both movies: We're all stupid and illogical, so let's just have a big old party. In that respect, I liked Bruno a little bit more. He was always my favorite character on the show anyways.

Wolfie
I'll see it eventually but Bruno is my least favorite of the Ali G characters.

Frankly, I'm surprised this was made. With the popularity of Borat, I'd assume a lot of people would be suspicious if Bruno interviewed them.

Placidity
Dun kill me for Bump =[

Anyway, not as good as Borat, but if really take note of his acting I think you'd admire his skills. He does a great job at being a ***, and impromptu at that. I think Cohen is just a genius, I mean this is REAL acting, the guy certainly has range and very convincing.

jinXed by JaNx
i don't think this stuff is impromptu

Steak Knife
I finally rented this. I laughed my ass off. I thought it was way better than I expected.

wicker_man
This film has its moments, but it's not a patch on Borat.

Steak Knife
I thought it was funnier than Borat.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.