OMG! HUGE thought

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

willofthewisp
Ok, I'm sure my logic's off so someone will have to correct me on this, but I think I found a loophole to the curse. We're all unhappy Will is bound forever, right? Sparrabethers, willabethers, norribethers, we're all in agreement on this. So I think I know something.

Why does Elizabeth have to keep the heart safe?

If someone stabs Will's heart, isn't he free? I don't think it actually killed Davy. I think what happened to Davy is that Calypso just took him with her, because she's not really dead. She's immortal and Davy had a look of relief on his face and said her name like they could be together now. So I think stabbing the heart just makes the captain powerless. So Elizabeth could just have someone else stab the heart (and it's not like it's against her nature to do that), and free Will.

katelovespirate
I'm up for that. Totally. Good thought! I always had a joke that she was just waiting for the kid to grow old enough to stab the heart himself, so she and Will could have some privacy. wink

willofthewisp
Wow, Elizabeth Swann: the Andrea Yates of the POTC world. That's just so dark...and yet if young immortal Will Junior happened to come across a mermaid or something...

IheartPocky
I think that would be cool to pass it on. So the one person wouldn't have to live forever seeing everyone they love die big grin

SelinaAndBruce
If you stab the heart you kill the captain.

katelovespirate
Originally posted by SelinaAndBruce
If you stab the heart you kill the captain.

well, i'm good with that.

IheartPocky
Im good with it, too. haha

PirateDiva
Ya someone should try it and if it ends up killing him...so be it!! smile oh my we r evil!

SelinaAndBruce
No Will and Elizabeth are destiny though sad It's not a perfect destiny but it's theirs and I think no matter what Elizabeth will always come back to that cliff for Will

PirateDiva
Ya because she feels she has too, she promised and because she does love Will she'll do it for his sake. I do believe that even if Elizabeth and Jack were to be together, once every 10 years she would stand on that cliff to see Will because she honors her promises not because she still loves him. and Jack would understand...thats my opinion.

katelovespirate
you know what i love about sparrabethers? we are endlessly creative. totally undaunted. fully committed. it's fantastic. Elizabeth is married with a kid, and we STILL have NO problem coming up with endless scenarios how Jack and Elizabeth could STILL make it work. haha. i love it. smile

potcfan2003
Yea I think tht stabbing the heart wuld kill the captain... sad but if there's a land of the dead than maybe Elizabeth could tell her kid tht once she gets old and dies tht he should stab the heart... tht way Will and Liz could be together, but cut neither one of their lives short... and Will probably wouldn't mind dying if Liz was already dead...

SelinaAndBruce
Originally posted by katelovespirate
you know what i love about sparrabethers? we are endlessly creative. totally undaunted. fully committed. it's fantastic. Elizabeth is married with a kid, and we STILL have NO problem coming up with endless scenarios how Jack and Elizabeth could STILL make it work. haha. i love it. smile
That's called desperation wink No just kidding I do admire the spin cycle you guys maintain

No but for real I don't want Jack committing adultery with Liz either. Elizabeth and Will belong to each other. They're married to one another they have a son together and I believe she will wait for him faithfully because at the end of the day her main objective in all the Pirates movies no matter what she did was to save Will and to be with him eventually. They went to the ends of the earth for one another and Elizabeth even sacrificed Jack so she and Will could get away with the other crew members.

I'm not a hard core Willabether at all but they are the love story in this series and I have no doubt Elizabeth will continue to wait for Will because the moment she was assigned to watch over him on that ship they became the ones for each other.

potcfan2003
so r u a wallabether?

SelinaAndBruce
Originally posted by potcfan2003
so r u a wallabether?
Not necessarily. I dislike the Elizabeth character but I like Will. But stepping back from who I like and who I don't like I can see they are definitely the story of the POTC series and I did like some of their scenes. I loved the scene of Elizabeth going to the cliffs with his son waiting for him and Will hanging on the edge looking like he couldn't wait to be with his family again. All my negative feelings for Elizabeth dissolved in that moment. No matter how grating she was in the series she loves Will something fierce IMO.

katelovespirate
That's called desperation wink No just kidding I do admire the spin cycle you guys maintain

No but for real I don't want Jack committing adultery with Liz either. Elizabeth and Will belong to each other. They're married to one another they have a son together and I believe she will wait for him faithfully because at the end of the day her main objective in all the Pirates movies no matter what she did was to save Will and to be with him eventually. They went to the ends of the earth for one another and Elizabeth even sacrificed Jack so she and Will could get away with the other crew members.

I'm not a hard core Willabether at all but they are the love story in this series and I have no doubt Elizabeth will continue to wait for Will because the moment she was assigned to watch over him on that ship they became the ones for each other.

haha... no, i think most sparrabethers don't want Elizabeth to cheat on Will at all... we much prefer to come up with reasons why Will sets her free (or dies, not because we are heartless, but because the way the film ended, it's not like they were happily together anyways).

and really, i think most sparrabethers are big fans of both characters (Jack and Elizabeth) individually and find it more challenging and exciting to watch them interact. Anything you see between Jack and Elizabeth will never, never be the kind of mushy, kissy, sweet, innocent romance like Will and Elizabeth have, or most couples have for that matter. It's much more intriguing and complicated- in that it challenges morality, challenges defined roles, involves a lot of physical attraction, and boils down to two people who are obsessed with freedom and adventure. but don't take my word for it. wink

i think the best way to understand a Sparrabethers continued hope despite AWE, read the link to the fanfic Willo posted on the Sparrabeth thread. It's long, but WORTH IT, even if you don't ship sparrabeth. extremely well written and fun to read. The only problem is it's not finished yet, leaving you on a massive cliff hanger. haha.

potcfan2003
oops... I meant willabether! OMG and u like Will too? I like Will better than Elizabeth... she's one of my least fav. characters... but I still love her charcter...

SelinaAndBruce
Originally posted by potcfan2003
oops... I meant willabether! OMG and u like Will too? I like Will better than Elizabeth... she's one of my least fav. characters... but I still love her charcter...
I don't much care for her character at all but I do tolerate her because she makes will happy. I am a Captain Jack Sparrow Fan First, but I like Will as well smile

lovethemtigers
Originally posted by willofthewisp
Ok, I'm sure my logic's off so someone will have to correct me on this, but I think I found a loophole to the curse. We're all unhappy Will is bound forever, right? Sparrabethers, willabethers, norribethers, we're all in agreement on this. So I think I know something.

Why does Elizabeth have to keep the heart safe?

If someone stabs Will's heart, isn't he free? I don't think it actually killed Davy. I think what happened to Davy is that Calypso just took him with her, because she's not really dead. She's immortal and Davy had a look of relief on his face and said her name like they could be together now. So I think stabbing the heart just makes the captain powerless. So Elizabeth could just have someone else stab the heart (and it's not like it's against her nature to do that), and free Will.

well...call me evil but I'm not all that upset that Will is bound to the Dutchman forever.....it actually gives a loophole for Sparrabeth...but I won't go over those reasons again...I've already done so quite a few times on the Sparrabeth thread.....in fact, us sparrabethers over at Tasty Pirates were shouting for glee..... evil face i'm sorry...but I just don't won't Elizabeth and Will together...and I don't think they are destined...fate keep intervening into their "happily" everafter...

SelinaAndBruce
Originally posted by lovethemtigers
well...call me evil but I'm not all that upset that Will is bound to the Dutchman forever.....it actually gives a loophole for Sparrabeth...but I won't go over those reasons again...I've already done so quite a few times on the Sparrabeth thread.....in fact, us sparrabethers over at Tasty Pirates were shouting for glee..... evil face i'm sorry...but I just don't won't Elizabeth and Will together...and I don't think they are destined...fate keep intervening into their "happily" everafter...
But Elizabeth killed Captain Jack Sparrow and that's a sign of true love. laughing out loud

katelovespirate
oh definitely. i usually kill the men i am in love with. especially when there is a kraken after us. i think it's the normal scenario.

haven't you ever kissed someone before a dramatic death sequence? it's like what they say about make-up sex. It's the best kiss you'll ever have, and will probably inspire you to throw caution to the wind, brave all and hasten to his rescue, just so you can continue to fantasize about the best kiss you ever had and dream you'll have it again one day...

SelinaAndBruce
oh definitely. i usually kill the men i am in love with. especially when there is a kraken after us. i think it's the normal scenario.

haven't you ever kissed someone before a dramatic death sequence? it's like what they say about make-up sex. It's the best kiss you'll ever have, and will probably inspire you to throw caution to the wind, brave all and hasten to his rescue, just so you can continue to fantasize about the best kiss you ever had and dream you'll have it again one day...
Elizabeth kissed everyone before they died. I guess she's every guys destiny and true love laughing out loud

I'm with my boy Captain Jack..once was enough laughing

katelovespirate
Elizabeth kissed everyone before they died. I guess she's every guys destiny and true love

Well, clearly. wink No one can resist her charms, plus, she is apparently the only woman in the Caribbean under 30.

PirateDiva
lol...Elizabeth is like a plague to man! lol...at the rate she was going in AWE she could have wiped out the entire Male species! laughing

SelinaAndBruce
Originally posted by PirateDiva
lol...Elizabeth is like a plague to man! lol...at the rate she was going in AWE she could have wiped out the entire Male species! laughing
They should have just had her kiss Davy Jones that would have shaved a good hour off of AWE laughing laughing

lovethemtigers
But Elizabeth killed Captain Jack Sparrow and that's a sign of true love. laughing out loud

you anti-sparrabethers keep refering to the fact that Elizabeth killed Jack as to why they can't be together...but she felt very bad right after it happen...she was a confused young woman...its a fantasy movie....haven't you ever read a romance novel where the hero and heroine are in such denial of their feelings they are constantly doing things to the other that is extreme just to proof to themselves that they have no feelings for the other...that's what makes these "forbidden" love romance stories so hot, sexy and exciting...not the little sweet story of boy meets girl, and they are instantly in love and all is sweet and hunky dory! BORING......

anyways.....I just don't give into that arguement that Lizzy killed Jack..he didn't seem to hold it against her......at first he did, but he got over it......

she acted on impluse.......

willofthewisp
Ha ha, you're right, lovethemtigers.

SPOILERS FOLLOW!

In West Side Story, Tony kills Maria's brother but yet they stay together.

SelinaAndBruce

anyways.....I just don't give into that arguement that Lizzy killed Jack..he didn't seem to hold it against her......at first he did, but he got over it......
He held it against her enough not to want her to kiss him again laughing

SelinaAndBruce
Also my problem with Elizabeth is I am a Captain Jack fan first and foremost. She killed him essentially so she, and her true love Will and the crew could escape. That showed where her priorities were. I doubt that she would have chained Will to a boat and left him to die if the Krakken was after him against Will's own will. That right there let's me know where Elizabeth's heart lies. She was sexually attracted to Captain Jack Sparrow but her heart was with Will and always will be.

And there is nothing to me magical about any chemistry between them and that we're so much alike crap was just Jack flirting I find very little similar about them. And that corny stuff about their names being birds, Will's name is after a bird expert they're all named for bird related things.

katelovespirate
Ha ha, you're right, lovethemtigers.

SPOILERS FOLLOW!

In West Side Story, Tony kills Maria's brother but yet they stay together.

ooooo good point... makes me think of the hundreds of other classic forbidden love stories where something similar happens...

Will doesn't have a real bird name because his character's personality does not merit one. i believe i read that they had originally named his character William Bear and changed it after deciding they had too many animal names. Will isn't obsessed with freedom and he doesn't have problems walking the straight and narrow. if it weren't for Jack Sparrow and the Black Pearl's crew in film 1, he would have happily stayed a blacksmith forever and called Elizabeth Ms. Swann and later Mrs. Norrington. he adapted to a life of piracy, but he just doesn't have quite the same aptitude or need for it like Jack, and Elizabeth.

lovethemtigers
Also my problem with Elizabeth is I am a Captain Jack fan first and foremost. She killed him essentially so she, and her true love Will and the crew could escape. That showed where her priorities were. I doubt that she would have chained Will to a boat and left him to die if the Krakken was after him against Will's own will. That right there let's me know where Elizabeth's heart lies. She was sexually attracted to Captain Jack Sparrow but her heart was with Will and always will be.

And there is nothing to me magical about any chemistry between them and that we're so much alike crap was just Jack flirting I find very little similar about them. And that corny stuff about their names being birds, Will's name is after a bird expert they're all named for bird related things.

you can say all you want...but you will never change my mind..just I will never change yours.......

those of us that are Sparrabethers believe that Jack and Elizabeth are the true romance of POTC..but because of circumstance, misunderstandings, fate.....they can never be together.....or so it would seem........see I don't look at it as just Jack flirting for sex....I see so much more when Jack looks at Elizabeth..and when Liz looks at Jack.....and you are probably right..she probably wouldn't do the same thing to Will...but she wasn't in denial over her feelings for Will..she was suppose to love Will.....with Jack....Jack was forbidden, someone she shouldn't love or want...but she did......same with Jack...he didn't want to love or be attracted to Liz...but he was........anyways.....

as has been said a trillion times over the past year...you'll never see things from the Sparrabeth prospective...and I'll never see the Willabeth prospective......Willabeth was for real life stories...this was a movie, a fantasy world... A Pirates movie...it just made more sense......
Never Mind...it's just a endless cirlce of disagreements...

katelovespirate
an endless cycle... so true... an endless cycle of fun suppositions and enjoyment of a truly great set of characters. smile it's not all bad. in years to come, psychologists will use this analyze people's love preferences...

potcfan2003
isn't there a bird called the turner? or was it a turn... I'm not sure...

SelinaAndBruce
you can say all you want...but you will never change my mind..just I will never change yours.......

Canon is Will and Elizabeth and Captain Jack Sparrow chasing his freedom endlessly and I am cool with canon. Through out the movies Elizabeth chose Will no matter what the consequences were to others or herself. She gave up the rest of her life for one day every ten years with him. I mean there's not much arguing with that. For me this is not making up my mind but just going by the movie strictly, ships aside. Like I said I'm not Willabeth or Sparrabeth really. I have a preference but I'd be perfectly happy with neither at all. I just watched the movies for what they were. I know some people wanted Sparrabeth and started reading extra hard into things but the story is a Willabeth story with a Sparrabeth tease overall. Elizabeth is sexually attracted to Jack but no matter what she always chose Will over any and everything.

katelovespirate
Elizabeth is sexually attracted to Jack but no matter what she always chose Will over any and everything.

And that, my friends, is how you end up a single mom in a fugly vest waiting on a beach for ten years for your undead heartless husband to come back so you can have 15 minutes of fun and then go back to being a pathetic widowed tragedy wondering what happened to your life. wink

SelinaAndBruce
And that, my friends, is how you end up a single mom in a fugly vest waiting on a beach for ten years for your undead heartless husband to come back so you can have 15 minutes of fun and then go back to being a pathetic widowed tragedy wondering what happened to your life. wink
But her true love with Will to me is better than slutting around with Jack until he goes off on his next adventure for world's unknown. Neither is ideal but Will in his 10 year stints away is a far more stable choice, and she has to go with her heart. Her heart simply isn't with Jack and even though I love him I understand why it isn't and why it's with Will. Her life isn't ideal at all but love isn't ideal either.

katelovespirate
well, what this boils down to is, if i wanted to see an epic tragedy i would go watch some shakespeare.

i disagree that her heart is with Will, I dont think Elizabeth ever wanted stability, and I think she'd rather go sailing off with Jack to something unknown than waste time moping. whether or not jack is involved, i firmly hold to the fact that Elizabeth moves on with her life in some ways.

If we've learned one thing over the course of these films, it's that Elizabeth is selfish and resourceful. A very interesting combination, considering where she finds herself once Will sails away.

SelinaAndBruce
well, what this boils down to is, if i wanted to see an epic tragedy i would go watch some shakespeare.

i disagree that her heart is with Will, I dont think Elizabeth ever wanted stability, and I think she'd rather go sailing off with Jack to something unknown than waste time moping. whether or not jack is involved, i firmly hold to the fact that Elizabeth moves on with her life in some ways.

If we've learned one thing over the course of these films, it's that Elizabeth is selfish and resourceful. A very interesting combination, considering where she finds herself once Will sails away.
The thing is though, what makes Elizabeth and Will's love so special is that they overcome their personality differences to be together. Elizabeth's selfishness is not even more important than Will is to her. She wants to be with him that badly she'll trade anyone or anything and Will was willing to give up his aversion to Pirates simply to find her and be with her. And even when a horrible circumstance like death and that curse stood to break them they chose a way to choose each other and to make it work anyway. That's the story.

I don't think Elizabeth would rather sail off with Jack at all otherwsie she would have. There is nothing stopping her except that fact that she loves Will beyond reason and explanation and she'd rather wait on that cliff for him than do anything else.

Their story definitely could have been told a lot better but it is still a pretty intriguing love story to me. The fact that she would wait ten years at a time to see him says a great deal about how much she loves him because there is little more you can sacrifice than that.

PirateDiva
He held it against her enough not to want her to kiss him again laughing

Ah, yes... but then the true question is, why was Elizabeth going to kiss Jack again after she was already married to the Whelp, I wonder? wink

SelinaAndBruce
Ah, yes... but then the true question is, why was Elizabeth going to kiss Jack again after she was already married to the Whelp, I wonder? wink
That's a flaw in Elizabeth's character. She wants it all. But Jack knew better and had no interest. cool

PirateDiva
Yes Darling, You keep telling yourself that! wink

SelinaAndBruce
Yes Darling, You keep telling yourself that! wink
Well that's what happened in the movie laughing

katelovespirate
The thing is though, what makes Elizabeth and Will's love so special is that they overcome their personality differences to be together. Elizabeth's selfishness is not even more important than Will is to her. She wants to be with him that badly she'll trade anyone or anything and Will was willing to give up his aversion to Pirates simply to find her and be with her. And even when a horrible circumstance like death and that curse stood to break them they chose a way to choose each other and to make it work anyway. That's the story.

I don't think Elizabeth would rather sail off with Jack at all otherwsie she would have. There is nothing stopping her except that fact that she loves Will beyond reason and explanation and she'd rather wait on that cliff for him than do anything else.

Their story definitely could have been told a lot better but it is still a pretty intriguing love story to me. The fact that she would wait ten years at a time to see him says a great deal about how much she loves him because there is little more you can sacrifice than that.

they didn't find a way to be together... Jack found it and made that decision for them, as I remember.

Jack is the impetus that allowed Will to get her in the first place, and Jack is clearly the one thing that could have come between them (and nearly did). Unfortunately for everyone, Disney took a heavy hand in preventing the films from exploring that less obvious choice.

I don't think anyone was happy with the way things ended, and I would have much preferred Elizabeth and Will happily returning to Port Royal to play house or something. To think about things realistically, Will ruined his own life and the life of the woman he claimed to love in order to make some over-zealous promise to an absent and alcoholic father.

perhaps I am just a feminist, or perhaps I am more realistic than I like to think, but asking a woman to stay faithful to you when you will only see her maybe 5 times before she dies is cruel, unnatural, and plain annoying in light of Elizabeth's character. It's not romantic at all. It's ruining two perfectly good lives for a curse that doesn't make sense and to save someone who killed Norrington. boo. I've gone over this and over this, and i guess should stop nailing this into the ground.

clearly you and I have very different ideas of love, romance, and life, SelinaandBruce... wink

SelinaAndBruce
they didn't find a way to be together... Jack found it and made that decision for them, as I remember.

Jack is the impetus that allowed Will to get her in the first place, and Jack is clearly the one thing that could have come between them (and nearly did). Unfortunately for everyone, Disney took a heavy hand in preventing the films from exploring that less obvious choice.

I don't think anyone was happy with the way things ended, and I would have much preferred Elizabeth and Will happily returning to Port Royal to play house or something. To think about things realistically, Will ruined his own life and the life of the woman he claimed to love in order to make some over-zealous promise to an absent and alcoholic father.

perhaps I am just a feminist, or perhaps I am more realistic than I like to think, but asking a woman to stay faithful to you when you will only see her maybe 5 times before she dies is cruel, unnatural, and plain annoying in light of Elizabeth's character. It's not romantic at all. It's ruining two perfectly good lives for a curse that doesn't make sense and to save someone who killed Norrington. boo. I've gone over this and over this, and i guess should stop nailing this into the ground.

clearly you and I have very different ideas of love, romance, and life, SelinaandBruce... wink
Will didn't require anything of Elizabeth that she didn't whole heartedly and willing accept. It depends on what type of feminist you are. I am the kind that beleives women should make any choice they want. Elizabeth made her choice. She didn't have to come back to the cliffs, she didn't even have to consumate her marriage to Will but she chose those things.

I know that Jack gave them that gift because he could have taken that immortality for himself but I think even in all his lying about rooting for Norrington he wanted Will and Elizabeth to be together. He saw how much Elizabeth loved him just based on the fact she felt she had to kill Jack in order to get Will and the others safely on land and how she gladly traded Jack for Will. So I have the utmost respect for Jack honoring their love in that way.

I'm fine with the ending of AWE. Not thrilled by any means, except I am really happy with Jack's overall except I wish he had gotten the black pearl but that leaves it open to new adventure I guess. I can see the good and the bad in Will and Elizabeth's ending. On one token it is a testament to the truest love that is so faithful and unwavering time itself cannot separate or weaken them. On the other hand it is not the most ideal situation to be in, but that is the situation they are in and they are making it work so I see no problem with it. It's not a classic happy ending, which IMO would have sucked.

katelovespirate
i just don't have that kind of loyalty. and frankly, I don't think Elizabeth does either. life is a journey and sometimes things change and your dreams change and things dont turn out the way you wanted and you have to roll with the punches. i think that's what these films are about. i think that's one message that continuously comes across (despite plot holes, character problems, and competing viewpoints) and each character seems to reflect it in certain ways. it seems to cancel out the whole point of the series and all previous character development if thats just it for Elizabeth.

SelinaAndBruce
i just don't have that kind of loyalty. and frankly, I don't think Elizabeth does either. life is a journey and sometimes things change and your dreams change and things dont turn out the way you wanted and you have to roll with the punches. i think that's what these films are about. i think that's one message that continuously comes across (despite plot holes, character problems, and competing viewpoints) and each character seems to reflect it in certain ways. it seems to cancel out the whole point of the series and all previous character development if thats just it for Elizabeth.
But Elizabeth and will have been destined to each other since the day she watched over him. Even she knows this and that was the point of the films I think no matter what they will overcome. 10 years is a sucky long time but her one day with Will each time I think is going to refresh her desire to make that commitment for another 10 years. That's supposed to be the story. And she literally has his heart.

katelovespirate
Port Royal Headlines: "Elizabeth Turner Accidentally Stabs Husband's Heart After Drunken Night at Tavern... Bet She's Wishing She Had Put it in a Swiss Bank Account Now Like Jack Suggested..."

hahaha well, i'm out for a while. term papers and appointments beckon. I really do just enjoy a good debate. I've actually debated on behalf of several other ships with equally die-hard intensity at various points. my loyalties are questionable and entirely dependent on my mood. wink

willofthewisp
"But Elizabeth and will have been destined to each other since the day she watched over him. Even she knows this and that was the point of the films I think no matter what they will overcome. 10 years is a sucky long time but her one day with Will each time I think is going to refresh her desire to make that commitment for another 10 years. That's supposed to be the story. And she literally has his heart."----Selina

You're not married, are you? I really hope what you say is true. Well, what I actually hope is that Disney is just misleading us and Will will actually be free after the first ten years. But yes, ideally, each of those days he spends with Elizabeth should be enough for her to still love him and want to be with him. But there isn't such a thing as "destined to be." Even the movies, which make a few references to destiny, make it clear that these characters did choose their own paths and had things been done a little differently, Will would not have been practically killed by Davy Jones and would not have stabbed the heart. It was more a self-fulfilling prophesy in my mind. Marriage takes a lot of work, and you need to have the difficult times together for it to work. You need to fight with your spouse every so often and discuss things with them. Elizabeth has no knowledge at all of how Will would have raised their child, balanced their money (and considering she's the pirate king, I bet she's loaded by the end of the series), supported her career, found a career for himself. The list just goes on. By the time they'll be reunited, I hate to say it, they won't really know each other anymore because they'll have had so many life-changing experiences without the other. It goes both ways, too. Elizabeth can't possibly relate to Will now that he has been to the afterlife and seen death and dying on such an everyday basis. I don't think POTC is meant to be a fairy tale per se, because fairy tales don't have these kinds of bittersweet endings. This is just your typical tale of the sea that sailors will tell each other-- how two young pirates married only to be torn from each other, and how the bride was made a widow before she could even consummate their marriage. It fits the mold of a ghost story or supernatural tale an old man would tell you in front of a tavern more so than something your mom would tell you as she tucks you in.

Ditte3
But Elizabeth and will have been destined to each other since the day she watched over him. Even she knows this and that was the point of the films I think no matter what they will overcome. 10 years is a sucky long time but her one day with Will each time I think is going to refresh her desire to make that commitment for another 10 years. That's supposed to be the story. And she literally has his heart. Life is not as simple as that.It's not really healthy to live in a so called marriage and see each other only few times in their life time.It's more human thing to give back the freedom for each other,otherwise it's atorture.It's no good to be alone.it's not at all romantic.

SelinaAndBruce
Originally posted by Ditte3
Life is not as simple as that.It's not really healthy to live in a so called marriage and see each other only few times in their life time.It's more human thing to give back the freedom for each other,otherwise it's atorture.It's no good to be alone.it's not at all romantic.
People make their choices. It may not be healthy or feasible by your terms but if that's what Elizabeth wants, and clearly it is since she shows back up with his son to meet him 10 years later then that's the story and that's their love. I think a lot of things people do for love are really pretty stupid, but sometimes if you love somebody you do whatever it takes to be with them. This at least to me demonstrates how deeply Elizabeth loves Will. It may not be ideal to any of us, but it's not OUR loves, or OUR hearts it's Elizabeth's and I admire her loyalty even though I can't say I'd emulate it.

I mean hell in Romeo and Juliet they killed themselves because they think or the other one IS dead. I would never do that either but to make that kind of sacrifice let's me know that they really loved each other and couldn't imagine being with anyone else even though I can't understand nor do I have any interest in going to those kind of measures.

SelinaAndBruce

You're not married, are you? I really hope what you say is true. Well, what I actually hope is that Disney is just misleading us and Will will actually be free after the first ten years. But yes, ideally, each of those days he spends with Elizabeth should be enough for her to still love him and want to be with him. But there isn't such a thing as "destined to be." Even the movies, which make a few references to destiny, make it clear that these characters did choose their own paths and had things been done a little differently, Will would not have been practically killed by Davy Jones and would not have stabbed the heart. It was more a self-fulfilling prophesy in my mind. Marriage takes a lot of work, and you need to have the difficult times together for it to work. You need to fight with your spouse every so often and discuss things with them. Elizabeth has no knowledge at all of how Will would have raised their child, balanced their money (and considering she's the pirate king, I bet she's loaded by the end of the series), supported her career, found a career for himself. The list just goes on. By the time they'll be reunited, I hate to say it, they won't really know each other anymore because they'll have had so many life-changing experiences without the other. It goes both ways, too. Elizabeth can't possibly relate to Will now that he has been to the afterlife and seen death and dying on such an everyday basis. I don't think POTC is meant to be a fairy tale per se, because fairy tales don't have these kinds of bittersweet endings. This is just your typical tale of the sea that sailors will tell each other-- how two young pirates married only to be torn from each other, and how the bride was made a widow before she could even consummate their marriage. It fits the mold of a ghost story or supernatural tale an old man would tell you in front of a tavern more so than something your mom would tell you as she tucks you in.
I'm not saying that I would want to live my life like that or that I would or that I even think it's a good idea at all. But the fact that Elizabeth chooses that life even though it isn't much of a benefit at all to her shows me how much she loves Will is the point. She loves him so much that rather than be with anyone else she'll wait 10 years to see him again for just one day. That's a really special unyielding love. Like I said I couldn't imagine giving my life away like that but the implication that Disney makes is that that's what Elizabeth will do to be with Will. Elizabeth and Will are a love story. A semi tragic one but a love story just the same. They made love on a beach, conceived a son and then he had to go away and she is destined to wait 10 years to see him again. And the point of putting that clip at the end of the credits was to prove she would come back for him and that she would never give up.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.